CHAPTER XVII – THE 2012 MBC DRAMA AWARDS - PART 2

Decision - A Turning Point

 

YC & SOS were on stage to present an award. In their spiel both of them jokingly introduces themselves as each other’s ‘ae-in’. Then SOS says that she thought that JW and SY would win the best couple award making YC slide a glance at EH who was watching them with a smile on her face. YC then glanced at his Mom as if he were pointing her out to SOS, who also glanced Mama Park’s way. EH kept her attention intently on the stage the whole time SOS and YC were making their presentation. YC kept stealing glances EH’s way. Mama Park, who had a clear view of the proceedings, could not help shaking her head but smiling widely as she indulgently thought: “Aaah, these two, so obvious in their actions for someone like me who is looking for signs. I think my YC is more than just smitten with Miss Yoon Eun Hye.’

The nominees for Excellence Award by an Actor in a Mini-series were announced and both PYC and YSH were nominees in the category. JJ was the male presenter of the award and hinted that the winner was someone he really liked. When YC’s name was called, it was SOS and YEH who stood up excitedly. YC stood up slowly and EH immediately gave him a radiant smile and a tight, enthusiastic handshake. YC leaned towards SOS who also shook his hand and gave him a kiss on the cheek. EH was looking wistfully at them thinking: “If only I could also give YC a kiss to congratulate him and make him know I am so proud of him.” YC quickly goes up the stage, shakes hands with JJ as he receives his trophy and a bouquet of flowers and says his acceptance speech. JJ and YC return to their table together as EH, returns the favour, and claps with a bright smile on her lips as YC approaches. YC smiles happily grateful for EH’s unwavering support.

During a presentation another co-host approach YC explaining that they will be doing a segment with him but doesn’t give him the details. Right after the presentation, the remote camera to film YC’s segment and the co-host introduced a video clip showing JW seeing the song ‘Magic Castle’ out of tune in episode 5 of Missing You. The host went on to say that YC was actually a singer and even jokingly ask JJ if YC, as a member of his group, is really a good singer. JJ answers: “Well...he usually is.” making the audience laugh out loud. The host then asks YC to give them a real sample of his singing prowess and sing a small portion of ‘Magic Castle’. YC seems to be very nervous and is actually sweating a lot, he obliges and sings a very small portion of ‘Magic Castle’ and returns the microphone to the host with a smile. YC bends his head forward feeling a bit shy. YC turns to smile and talk to EH, EH noticing him sweating, fans his face with her hand. A few minutes later, she hands over her vanity mirror to YC so that he can wipe some of the perspiration off his face. JJ witnessing this scene gave YC & EH a speculative look. This time his interest in what was really happening between these two was really pricked. He resolved to ask YC about it as soon as he can even if he had to tease and pester him to get an answer.

The awards ceremony continued YC and YEH continued their relaxed and comfortable interaction, YEH was seen fixing the flowers and trophies on their table. YC was seen bending forward in his chair and almost touching YEH’s arm or hand in the process. They were always talking and smiling at each other. They seemed to be having a wonderful time. All this was closely observed by both JJ and Mama Park. YEH was again nominated for the Top Excellence by an Actress in a Miniseries but lost to Han Ga In of TMTETS. The awards night came to a close when the Daesang award was given to actor Jo Seung Woo of the MBC Special Production ‘Horse Healer’. YC and EH stood up still talking to each other and temporarily went their separate ways to go to their managers before joining all the winners that night for a photo session.

YC was slowly climbing the stairs to the stage near the entrance/exit door looking around as if he was waiting for someone. He smiles as he spots EH climbing the steps behind him, he lets her pass by him then walks nonchalantly behind her. Kim Jae Won approaches them and starts a conversation as the 3 of them walked toward the center of the stage. 

YC and EH stood a few feet away from each other, enough for 1 person to squeeze in between them, all the time they were waiting for the other actors to trickle up the stage and while waiting for the team in charge of the awards to finish preparation for the photo session. Actress Lee Yoon Ji, YEH’s co-actor in Goong/Princess Hours, winner of the MBC Excellence Award by an Actress in a Miniseries for The King 2 Hearts approached EH and fondly soothes EH’s hair. YEH immediately smiles and catches LYJ’s hand and start an earnest conversation reminiscing about Goong/Princess Hours filming days and catching up on current news of their activities and some mutual friends. While YEH and LYJ were having their conversation, JJ approached YC and took advantage of the opportunity to talk with YC but JJ noticed that YC was answering him distractedly and instead seemed to be focusing his attention on YEH, standing behind him. JJ decides that it was no use trying to get an intelligent answer from YC at that time and just resolved to observe YC for the rest of the night to gather ‘ammunition’ to rattle YC's cage when the time comes.

YC, feeling that EH has ‘ignored’ him long enough walks to stand behind YEH, YJG sees his hyung positioning himself behind EH-noona and smiles. EH, noticing YC behind her introduces him to LYJ and whispers something to him as well. YC gives LYJ a small bow and seems to whisper something in reply to what EH told him. EH turns her head quickly to give YC a startled look. (In some angles from Fan Videos, it looked as if YC pulled down EH’s blouse but he could have been pulling down his shirt sleeve; in others it looked as if YC was blowing EH’s hair). YC stuck by EH’s side like glue from then on. JJ was observed walking to and fro in the area behind YC & EH greeting his fellow winners with a smile and a small nod but was actually quietly observing his best friend’s pretty weird actions. YC stepped between LYJ and EH making sure that he was standing beside EH, he even pulled EH’s left shoulder back so that she was standing a bit sideways in preparation for the photo session. EH was not fully conscious of what was happening because she was deep in conversation with KSH (teen-age LSY), who seemed to have observed what his YC-oppa was doing and teased EH-unnie about it causing EH to give her a playful pinch on her arm. JJ came around and YC was pointing for him to stand beside LYJ, LYJ, on the other hand was signing for JJ to stand beside YC. JJ follows YC’s lead and stands with LYJ standing between YC and himself. YC was starting to sport a triumphant smile on his lips when one of the crew calls SJG (teenage HJW), who was loitering at the back not yet in position, and instructs him to stand between YC and EH. EH gives YC a mischievous smile when she notices this sudden ‘adjustment’ in their positions. YC thought to himself: “Aigoo…who was that guy? He foiled my plan to be standing beside EH for the winner’s group photo. Bad guy!” Many Missing You fans who saw the photo zoomed in on PYC, SJG, YEH and KSH standing side by side and all come to a laughing conclusion that the 4 looked as if they were taking a family picture.

Right after the photo session, YC leaves the stage with JJ making sure that EH was not far behind them knowing that EH had to return to filming immediately. He was in a hurry to meet Mama Park and his cousin because, before leaving home for the ceremony, YC made arrangements to meet his Mom backstage. YC sees his Mom and, lengthening his stride, quickly joins her, JJ stops by to greet Mama Park but makes his excuses and leavesfor a celebration with some friends. YC was looking around him watching out for EH, he sees MSM, EH’s co-manager and knows that EH would not be far behind. Seeing EH, he calls her over, to the curious looks of the other actors and their individual entourages, as they hurried to leave. When EH was near enough to touch, YC gently takes hold of her elbow as he introduces her to Mama Park saying: “Mom, I’d like you to meet my partner Miss Yoon Eun Hye. Eun Hye-shi, please meet my Mom, she is becoming your number 1 fan.” Mama Park gives EH a bright and welcoming smile noting that YC introduced her as ‘my partner’ only and not ‘my present screen partner’. EH shyly bows her head and gives Mama Park her trademark bright smile. Mama Park thinks to herself: “This girl is very courteous and respectful. It seems that all the good things I have heard about her are true.” YC was looking on with an ecstatic look on his face thinking: “The 2 women closes to my heart have finally met each other. I could not wait to hear what Mom thinks of EH.” EH apologized profusely saying that she wished she could stay longer but had to go back to resume filming and again bows deeply to Mama Park before taking her leave. She gives YC a private smile and leaves. YC watches her leave with a wistful look on his face.

YEH was at the filming site tired but happy that she was able to attend the awards night and spend a really enjoyable time with YC outside the filming setting. She was surprised that YC introduced her to his Mom though, but she was happy to meet her. Mama Park was a beautiful and dignified lady. She hoped that she would age as gracefully as Mama Park. She hoped that a day will come when she can thank Mama Park for having a son like YC.

YC was home in his bed going over the awards night in his head. He felt so happy and contented. His happiness was made complete when his Mom complemented YEH and said that she seemed like a very nice girl, exuding an aura of simplicity with class. His Mom read YEH spot on!