CHAPTER XXXV – Making Lemonade Out of Lemons – YEH P.O.V.

Decision - A Turning Point

 

On the morning after the Missing You Wrap-Up parties, YEH woke up smiling, relaxed, well rested and feeling buoyant; it only took a few seconds for her good mood to take a nose dive into one of sadness and the sure knowledge that she will truly be missing someone who has become an integral part of her daily life for the past few months.

 

Today was the first day of YC’s and her 2-weeks of no-communication with each other agreement; now secure in the knowledge of YC’s feelings for her, EH is slightly regretting putting her foot down regarding this self-imposed separation to gauge their true feelings for each other; but, she also knows that this is the right route to take. Anything can happen within the two weeks, YC may decide that, although he may have intense feelings for her, it might not be worth the sacrifices and adjustments they will need to jointly do so that they can make their relationship viable and last long. For what good is starting a relationship if they both know that they will not be able to sustain it for whatever reason? It would be better to feel heartache at this point, when the feelings they have for each other is just starting to evolve, than to break-up after their love for each other has become deeper because the heartbreak will be more intense.

 

 

Determined to be positive and to place her trust in YC’s promise, EH gets up resolved to make good use of the next 2 weeks. Going to her bathroom for her morning ritual and a relaxing warm bath in the bathtub, EH calls her managers and staff for a scheduling meeting.

 

First order of the day was to make arrangements with her doctor for a complete medical check-up [complete will all the lab work and tests needed] to enable her doctor/s to plan a health regimen that will help her regain her good health and maintain it. After all, she is an actress and will still be doing dramas which will require live-shoots and she does not want a repeat of her fainting episode during the last day of filming the drama ‘Missing You’. She does not want to put a burden on the production and her co-actors as she felt she did when her health got pretty bad during that period.

 

Since she already had some work scheduled that she could not back out of, EH was not able to check herself into the hospital, as she preferred, but was forced to go on an out-patient basis.

 

Next was to have a serious talk with her management team and office staff as well as her legal team to sound off about the possibility of her dating and being in a relationship. Her management team and staff already had a hint of whom the person YEH was pertaining to but she felt that her legal team did not need to know the details until the possibility became fact. YEH wanted to know what needed to be done with her CF contracts, photo-shoots and other obligations so that any announcement of her being in a relationship will not negatively impact her career and career options. She loved her work and she would prefer that she could still be able to do so in her chosen field. She was also determined to protect her family as well as YC and his family when the time came for an announcement to be made. She was well aware that if she asked YC, he would prefer to be able to make an announcement ASAP. YC was such an honest and up front person that YEH knew that he would hate to keep secrets unless absolutely necessary, she wanted to erase this burden from YC in the fastest way possible.

 

Although YEH knew they should have been the first persons she talked to regarding the possible change in her status, she decided to speak with them last; the most important people she needed to have a serious and honest talk to, her parents and BanSuk. YEH called Mommy Yoon, Daddy Yoon and BanSuk individually and told them to expect her for a visit over the weekend after the wrap-up party. She told them that she hoped that they will all be home so that they could spend some quite quality time together as a family before her schedule became hectic again with her work commitments.

 

YEH arrived at her parent’s home mid morning of Saturday and after placing her things inside her room donned an apron to gently and lovingly tell her Mom to rest while she took over the preparation for lunch. Bansuk came home at around 11:30am and finally Daddy Yoon entered their home at around 1:00pm after a morning spent playing golf. Daddy Yoon went directly to the dining room, where he heard beloved voices coming from, an anticipatory smile on his face, his beloved family would be spending the weekend together. As usual, Daddy Yoon’s eyes automatically searched for Mommy Yoon, who was standing with her back to him, with a gentle, loving and indulgent look on her face as she was watching their son and daughter smoothly interacting and joking around as they set the table for lunch and bring out the feast that YEH prepared, at the entrance of the dining room. He instantly surprised her with a back hug and a kiss on the cheek before sliding beside her and putting his arm around her shoulders.

 

Daddy Yoon exclaimed: “This is such a rare but happy sight, seeing all my loved ones together. You and BanSuk still remember your roles when you were young and we were preparing to eat together, except that now, instead of your Mom’s delicious home cooking, I am about to feast on a meal that my famous daughter, who is a talented all around artist, prepared. My heart is bursting with joy today!”

YEH looked up with a smile and joined their parents giving each a hug and a kiss as well as sharing a group hug as soon as BanSuk was in hugging distance.

YEH said: “I miss this so much. Let’s eat first then I need to talk to you.”

BanSuk commented: “You sound serious, noona.”

YEH answered: “Well…it kinda is…let’s eat first then have our talk in comfort in the living room.”

Realizing that her remark made her parents and BanSuk hesitate, YEH continued: “It is not bad serious, okay, it is nothing to worry about.” “Really! Okay!” YEH  insisted, when they were slow to take their places at the dining table to start the meal. YEH strode off to take her usual place beside her mother so her family followed suit.

Wanting to have a normal and pleasant family meal, YEH started the conversation at the dinner table by updating her family on her activities then asking them for updates in their own individual daily activities.  

 

As soon as the meal was finished and the dining room and kitchen neatly cleaned up, Daddy Yoon addressed EH saying: “Let’s go to the living room with our tea and have that ‘serious’ talk you want to have with us that we are all curious and anxious about.” YEH, giving her Dad a light punch on his chest, answers: “Dad, I told you, it is nothing to be anxious about. Be patient, okay.”

 

Mommy Yoon, who had a hunch regarding what YEH wanted to discuss, stayed silent regarding the ‘serious’ talk all throughout lunch and cleaning up, which BanSuk and Daddy Yoon thought was strange for Mommy Yoon, she usually was the one full of questions, comments and observations, realizing this, Father and son suspected that Mommy Yoon knew something they didn’t.  As YEH entered the living room and sat on one of the armchairs, Bansuk moved to occupy the one opposite hers as their parents sat beside each other on the sofa facing them. YEH hid a smile when she saw her Dad, automatically reach out to hold her Mom’s hand tightly on top of his thigh.

YEH began her talk by asking her parents and BanSuk: “Did you happen to watch my latest drama ‘Missing You’? Did you notice something different about it?”

BanSuk loyally answered: “This was your best drama ever, acting wise noona. Your portrayal of Lee Soo Yeon was very good. Your first melodrama was a true acting vehicle for you. Congratulations!!!”

Daddy Yoon followed this up by saying: “You just proved to everyone that you are not only a Rom-Com queen but a power to reckon with in melodramas. This is indeed another milestone for you, career-wise.”

YEH answered: “Thanks for the compliments Dad and BanSuk, but…hmmm anything else? Were you able to watch some fan cams of the 2012 MBC Drama Awards night in YouTube or DailyMotion or other sites?” “How about you Mom, you’re weirdly silent today, any thoughts?”

Before Mommy Yoon could put a word in, BanSuk butts in and asks: “Noona, why don’t you just ask us what it is you think we should have ‘seen’ or ‘observed’ so that we can give you a direct answer and get to the bottom off this ‘serious’ talk of yours? Besides, didn’t you tell us to enjoy the Fan Videos and Fan Cam footages but not to take these Fan Cam videos of events out of context, so just go straight to the point noona, I’m getting nervous.”

Mommy Yoon finally catches a break in the conversation to say: “BanSuk ah, I think your noona is just trying to gauge if you or your Dad have an idea about what she wants to tell us. It’s clear as day that you guys don’t have a clue about it.” Turning to look YEH directly in her eyes, Mommy Yoon calmly continues: “My dear daughter, EH, does this happen to have anything to do with your co-lead Mr. Park Yoo Chun? Is there something you need to admit or announce to us?”

Stunned by this question from Mommy Yoon, both father and son turn to look directly as YEH asking loudly: “WHAT?!?” and burst into spontaneous comments and questions.

YEH trying to calm her Dad and BanSuk down quickly raises her hands for silence. When the men in her life, so far, quiets down YEH tells her family everything starting with: “Actually, nothing is sure or confirmed right now. What I mean is that, although we have expressed our feeling for each other as PYC and YEH, we are in a 2 weeks period of detaching ourselves from our characters by not communicating with each other at all. It started at the end of the wrap-up party of ‘Missing You’ and ends at 11:59pm of the First of February. You also need to know that I was the one who insisted on the break. I actually wanted a longer period of time but Yoo Chun-shi put his foot down and insisted on the 2-weeks and not a second more.”

Mommy Yoon gently inquires: “If you already expressed your personal feelings towards each other, why did you feel the need to have a 2-weeks break, my dear?”

YEH honestly answered: “When I first asked for the break I was not yet confident of YC’s feelings for me. I’ve told you previously that it is easy to be swayed by the emotions of the characters we play so I always make it a point to detach myself from my character and then view my emotions. I want to do the same thing now. YC assures me that his feelings will not change and that his love for me is real and true because this is the first time he was able to easily differentiate or separate PYC’s feelings for YEH from HJW’s feelings for LSY even while still filming a drama. As for me, I admit that I love YC a lot. I have gotten to know him a lot better during the conversations we had during breaks. We have so many things in common and we share similar traits, characteristics and moral beliefs. I’m hoping that my trust in YC’s promise will not be in vain but we have also discussed that if we should decide to start a relationship, it would not be easy for us and possibly our loved ones so we have to be really careful and maybe secretive as well. Despite our loving each other, YC and I will also need to make a decision using our brain or intellect and not just our hearts. This is a reality we need to accept and face. I just wanted you to know that I love YC deeply and he seems to love me just as deeply but we are presently taking the time to make sure that we can sustain our relationship and make it last. So during this time I have asked the House Company team to look into my options and what I need to do to safeguard everyone. We will know for sure on the second of February.”

Daddy Yoon answers insightfully: “If you ask me, based on what you have revealed, your relationship with PYC is a sure thing and that you are both just paving the way for your being able to be together as well as also being able to protect each other as well as the people you love. It seems to me that I would soon be meeting your PYC. Right now, from what I’ve heard from you, he seems to be a good man and I trust your judgement.”

BanSuk commented: “Noona, I don’t know YC personally but from what I've heard from my friends TOP and GDragon, he is an okay kind of guy. Besides he seems to respect you and honor your wishes since he agreed to your 2-weeks away request even if he did not feel that you needed the time away. I think he will be good to and for you.”

Mommy Yoon stood up and approached YEH’s armchair, sat on one of the arms and leaned over to give YEH a long and loving hug as she said: “EH, my darling daughter, when you asked me about how I knew that your Dad was THE ONE for me not so long ago, I already suspected something was up and I asked around, discreetly of course, about YC and did some on-line checking on him. From what I have gathered, your YC is a good son and brother as well as a caring colleague. I also think he will be good to and for you. All I can say is do not be afraid to love and to allow yourself to be loved in return. True love is worth fighting for, you have your Dad and me as a perfect example.”

 

Giving YEH a final loving kiss on her forehead, Mommy Yoon walked back to her place beside Daddy Yoon on the sofa and, as always, they reach out to hold each others hand as they sat beside each other and continued talking as a family basking in the warmth of unconditional family love and support.