CHAPTER XL – A Balancing Act: Working Hours and Quality Time Together

Decision - A Turning Point

Soon after the meeting of the Park and Yoon families, EH starting work on her drama for KBS. She already met and collaborated with the main male lead, Lee Dong Gun, in recording the ‘Salad Song’ for a Zipel CF some years back and she was also acquainted with the second male lead, Jung Yong Hwa of Idol band CNBlue since her friend and manager, Moon Sang Min, who liked the boy band and their music, had attended CNBlue’s concert and even took some pictures with the group. She was really looking forward the most, though, with working with Oh Jung Se oppa, who played the role of YC’s detective ‘wifey’ in ‘Missing You’ and was a good friend and hyung to YC in real life, again. OJS oppa would be playing the role of her older brother in the drama. The fact that she had also enjoyed working with OJS was another plus factor in her anticipation to start filming of the drama.

 

YC was also busy with his activities and preparing for the filming of his movie debut ‘Sea Fog’.  He really hated that EH and he could not meet personally as often as he wanted to but he was happy that they made a commitment to greet each other through video call or SMS in the morning and to catch up on each other’s day or even just say good night before they go to sleep. These short calls and SMS’s kept them both energized and happy despite a tiring day of work and not being able to see each other in person.

 

On one particular night, when YC was missing EH so much because she was filming in Jeju Island with Jung Yong Hwa for MHIYD, as he was sitting on his bed, YC felt his mobile phone vibrate. Quickly picking it up, he broke into a happy smile when he saw his Ae-in’s name on the caller ID:

EH in aegyo mode: "Jagi-ah.. ehm.. I need to tell you something about a scene in my new drama ‘Marry Him If You Dare’. ehm...I think you have to know about it before we shoot it..."

YC at home supposedly reading "Sea Fog" script but was actually missing EH: "Why are you stuttering honey? What kind of scene is it? Are you hesitating on doing it? It's not a bed scene this early is it?!?"

EH quickly saying it before she looses her courage: "It's a skinny dipping scene."

Stunned silence greets her admission, then a startled shout from YC: "WHAT DID JUST YOU SAY?!? A SKINNY DIPPING SCENE!!! NO!!!"

EH: "You want me to reject doing the scene? I will if you say so."

YC, after taking several deep calming breaths: "It's essential to the story right?"

EH answers quietly: "Yes."         

YC sighs deeply and says: "Okay do it, but make sure nothing shows okay just your back and your collarbone. I trust you honey, go for it. I love you."

EH: "Really? You don't mind! I can do it? Thank you so much, honey, you're the best! I love you."

YC: "Yay, Miss YEH, I did not say that I did not mind, I do, but you are a professional actress and I TRUST you, so do the scene with a peaceful mind."

EH: "OK, I need to go, they are calling me to film the scene. Bye. Muah..Muah...Muah"

YC: "WHAT!!!..." the line goes dead before he can finish what he was about to say and instead thought to himself: "Why that sneaky sweetheart!!! Was she just testing and teasing me, acting as if she wanted my opinion? Ms YEH, just wait until you get back to Seoul, I'll have a suitable 'punishment' ready for you."

 

 

As soon as EH finished filming all her scenes in Jeju, she decided to go home on the first available flight. Before they were called for boarding, she sent a SMS to YC saying: “Chunnie, honey, finished all my scenes in Jejudo, catching a flight home now. See you soon, I hope. Missing you so much! I love you!!!”

 

YC reading EH’s message, was so happy and excited that he instantly bought her favourite foods and proceeded to her home, he was now a familiar face to the guards and had EH’s password for her door so he could prepare his ‘welcome home’ snack as he waited for her to come home.

 

As soon as she entered her home, EH could sense YC’s presence and all the fatigue she was feeling from her hours of work and the flight home melted away and anticipation took over. YC was her vitamin and energizer. Her heart melted even more when she saw YC sleeping comfortably on her sofa. A tender and loving smile on her face, EH slowly approached YC and softly kissed his cheek bringing a happy smile to YC’s sleeping face. Seeing that YC was still asleep she then gave him a tender and loving kiss on the lips (similar to the one LSY bestowed on HJW on episode 17 of ‘Missing You’ but with more feeling and confidence).

 

YC, meanwhile, was having a beautiful dream about EH kissing his cheek that seemed so realistic that he just wanted to cherish the moment and did not want to wake up. Feeling a soft and gentle brush of familiar lips on his, though, brought him slowly back to wakefulness. Slowly focusing and seeing EH sitting on the floor in front of him, he broke into a joyful grin, reached out to pull EH’s face towards his, whispered roughly: “Ae-in-ah, this is one of my favourite ways to wake up, so far, but I need one more to make me fully awake.”; and pulled EH in for a thoroughly deep but tender kiss expressing how much they both loved and missed each other. After the kiss, YC sat up and pulled EH in so that she could sit beside him on the sofa. Putting his arm around EH’s shoulder and laying her head on his shoulder they got comfortable on the sofa and spent the hour talking about their individual days enjoying in cuddles and gentle kissing in between.

 

EH’s birthday was fast approaching but she had a scheduled late morning filming on that day. YC was planning an advanced celebration on the eve of October 3. Knowing how hard his ae-in was working, he knew that EH needed a lot of pampering and TLC. With this in mind, he immediately knew exactly what he could surprise YEH with on her special day and started making arrangements with a mischievous and excited boyish look on his face.

 

YC arrived at EH’s home early with his staff members to help carry all the paraphernalia he needed for his surprise ‘pamper YEH surprise’. In constant contact with his ever reliable co-conspirator, MSM, to ensure that his surprise is well executed, he was confident that he will successfully mount his birthday surprise for his ae-in. Requesting his staff members to put the ice cream in the freezer, the fruit in the refrigerator, the cake on the food preparation island in the kitchen and the wine in the chiller, YC and his manager entered YEH’s bedroom to set up the portable massage bed/table near EH’s bed. Since there were no balloons, just the bouquet of flowers, already set on YEH’s dressing table, and the bag of rose petals for the warm bubble bath he was planning on preparing for his Princess, YC thanked his manager and staff profusely and confirmed the time for his staff to meet him for his work day tomorrow.

 

YC started fitting out the massage table with a soft sheet, placing a blanket at the foot of the table then started arranging the organic lavender massage lotion, lavender scented powder, towels, alcohol for the massage therapist on the designated pouch on the massage table for easy access later. YEH’s favourite and well trusted massage therapist was on call waiting for MSM, who was supposed to send her a SMS, to give her the all clear for her to arrive at EH’s home. After arranging everything, YC went out to the living room to watch TV as he waited to receive MSM’s text message so that he could prepare the warm lavender bubble bath to help EH relax before the massage.

 

As soon as YC received MSM’s text message at around 10pm, he opened the wine bottle to allow it to breathe, then entered YEH’s bathroom to prepare the warm bath, he topped the bath with rose petals when he received a text from MSM informing him that they were in the parking bay waiting for the elevator.

 

After making sure that YEH’s bath was just the right temperature, YC quickly entered the kitchen to light the candles on the cake as well as pour wine into 2 wine glasses with a third on standby for MSM. He stayed in the kitchen waiting to make sure that YEH was in the living room before coming out, cake in hand and singing ‘Happy Birthday’.

 

YEH was not expecting a surprise from YC at all, since they made arrangements to celebrate on her birthday with an intimate dinner in her home before walking the short distance to his home to spend time with Mama Park and Yoo Hwan, so she was really surprised when YC came out of her dim-lighted kitchen with a big happy smile on his face carrying a cake with lighted candles singing the Happy Birthday song. EH had happy tears rolling down her cheeks, overwhelmed with the love and caring YC has been pouring down on her for the months they have been together. She was feeling so thankful that YC came into her life and refused to allow her to let her insecurities prevent them from having the chance to build this beautiful, loving relationship together.

 

YC seeing EH’s tears gently brushes her tears away and teasingly says: “Ae-in ah, you are such a cry baby, this is a happy occasion. I am giving thanks that you were born in this world and we were given a chance to be together. Come blow your candles and cut the cake.”

 

YEH does as YC asks with a teary smile. As soon as EH slices the cake, YC hands the cake over to MSM and leads EH to her room for her next surprise. As she is being led to her bathroom by YC, EH glances back and gives MSM a questioning look but only receives a smile and a shrug from her. Entering her bathroom, she is stunned to see that it was only brightly lighted by lavender scented candles and that her tub was filled with a lavender scented bubble bath with rose petal on top of the bubbles. Speechless, she turns to YC with a dazed look which makes YC smile even broader. YC says: “You’ve been working so hard I thought I should prepare a warm lavender bath for you so that you can soak whatever stress you have away. I read that lavender has a calming effect so everything here is lavender scented.” Pushing her towards the tub, YC continues: “Check the temperature of the water first then when you are satisfied with it, I’ll step out so that you can prepare what you need for your bath as well as take out your robe.” Seeing that EH is satisfied with the bath, YC finishing by saying: Call me when you are inside the tub and I’ll bring in the wine, fruit and cake. We can have our conversation as we share the snack.” He quickly slips out before EH can catch her breath to make a comment.

 

MSM sent out an SMS to the massage therapist then enters the kitchen to prepare the fruits YC brought over on a tray for him to carry to YEH so she can nibble on it as she eats a slice of cake and drinks her glass of wine while relaxing in her warm bath.  Seeing YC coming out of YEH’s room she gives him a big smile with a thumbs-up sign. YC approaches and gives her a hug as he thanks her for always being on his side and helping him whenever he is planning his surprises for YEH. MSM answers YC saying: “You make her happy, that’s what is important. Don’t you dare make her cry or else…” MSM jokingly ends.

 

Not hearing YEH call out, YC knocks on EH’s bathroom door, hearing her telling him to come in, he enters with the glasses of wine and the wine bottle then leaves again to return with the tray of fruit and cake. YC noticed that EH was a bit shy and saying: “Aigoo you did a bubble bath scene with a man in a Magazine photo shoot and even did a skinny dipping scene for a drama yet you act shy sitting in a tub covered by bubbles in front of your boyfriend! Ms. YEH why are you so tongue-tied and shy now?” YC has a hard time controlling himself from laughing out loud at the range of expression that passes on EH’s face. (From blushing so adorably to forming a comeback).

YEH answers in aegyo mode: “Jagi-ay, it was pure acting when I did the bubble bath magazine photo shoot with an ultra-hot partner as well as the skinny dipping in the drama; this is the first time I am doing this with my real life boyfriend.” Noticing YC frown after she mentioned ‘ultra-hot’ partner until she finished talking so she reaches out an arm to massage the frown out of his forehead and whispers in his ear: “My boyfriend it a thousand times hotter than my partner in the photo shoot.” She pulls YC’s face forward and kisses him on his nose and teases YC saying: “Aigoo, my YC looks so cute and adorable when he is being jealous.”

They both burst out laughing as the awkwardness EH feels fades away and she starts to relax. YC only allows EH to hold her wine glass and drink from it but totally insists on feeding her cake and fruit as EH enjoys her warm bath and they update each other on their work activities.

 

When the water turns tepid YC leaves the bathroom with the empty tray, wine bottle and glasses of their snack giving EH privacy to get out of the bath and do whatever absolutions she deems necessary before donning her thick and soft robe.

 

YC sees the massage therapist enjoying a snack of juice and cake with MSM in the living room and gives them a smile, lifting the tray to indicate that he needed to bring them to the kitchen first. He then approaches them first thanking the massage therapist for taking the time to come over and saying that he will come out to call her as soon as YEH is ready. He gives them both a sweet and happy smile before leaving them to enter YEH’s room once again.

 

Seeing that YEH was still in the bathroom, YC picked-up the bouquet of flowers from the dressing table and waits for her by the bathroom door. As soon as Eh emerges he takes her hand and offers her the flowers then says: “I have one more surprise in the ‘spoiling and pampering my EH’ birthday surprise. Why don’t you sit on the massage table over there while I call in your massage therapist (MT)?”

He escorts her to the massage table, making sure she is comfortable, before calling the MT in.

 

While YC went out, EH wrapped herself in a soft and thick towel before removing her robe. She smiled at her favourite MT and was about to settle on the massaging table when she turns impulsively and gives a stunned YC a tight hug and kiss on the lips, in front of the MT. EH says: “Thank you so much jagi-ah for my birthday surprise. You definitely knew what I needed to feel special on my birthday! I love you so…so much!” Seeing YC speechless and staring at the MT, EH continues: “We can trust her to keep our secret honey. She is one of the people I trust implicitly.” YC quickly gathering his wits answers: “If that is so, then I need 1 more hug and kiss before I leave you to your massage.” YC pulls EH toward him with a wide grin on his face as he gives her a deep, loving but tender kiss then hugging her tightly again whispering: “You are welcome, my love, I will definitely spoil and pamper you whenever I could. Have your massage, I’ll be watching TV in the living room.” He smiles and nods to the MT saying: “Please take good care of my EH and make sure that she is relaxed and stress free after her massage. I put my trust in you.”

 

When the MT exits EH’s room, he asks if EH was asleep. The MT answers that EH was pleasantly relaxed but not yet asleep. Entering the bedroom, YC glimpses EH in the bathroom brushing her teeth and preparing for bed. He speaks out loudly and asks: “Ae-in are you too sleepy or can you still stay up a little longer for my last surprise?”

EH answers: “I can still stay up, jagi-ah.”

YC: “OK, after you are done, get comfortable on your bed. Wait for me, I’ll be right back.”

 

YC finds a big bowl and scoops EH favourite ice cream into it. Entering YEH’s bedroom once again, he sits on YEH’s bed facing her and says: “Ae-in, be good and allow me to feed you your favourite flavour of ice cream. As soon as you’ve had your fill, just settle down and go to sleep. I’ll leave quietly as soon as I’m sure you are asleep.”

EH: “I can’t sleep at once. I need to brush my teeth and wash my face again.”

YC: “OK then, when you are ready for bed I’ll sing to you until you fall asleep then leave quietly.”

 

It took a while for them to finish the bowl of ice cream since they were quietly talking and sharing jokes. YC decided to rest his head on a pillow on YEH’s California King sized bed when EH got up to prepare for bed. Feeling so relaxed, he closes his eyes for a minute.

 

Emerging from the bathroom, EH sees YC sleeping like a baby on one side of her bed. She gives him a loving smile, settles him more comfortably on the bed and covers him with the comforter. She then lays down on the other side on her bed, faces the sleeping YC and brushes a soft kiss on his cheek before settling down to sleep with a smile on her face.

 

YC is woken-up from his deep sleep by a buzzing of his mobile phone. Sleepily reaching into his pocket, he becomes aware that he is still in his street clothes. He comes awake instantly and is pleasantly surprised to see his Princess asleep beside him. He first checks the SMS on his phone realizing that in was his Mom texting him, wondering what time he was coming home, so, he checks the time on his phone and sees that it is 3:30 in the morning. No wonder his Mom is looking for him! YC slowly and gingerly gets up not wanting to wake EH up. He leans over to kiss EH on her forehead before fixing his rumpled clothing. He gives EH one last loving glance and determinedly leaves YEH’s room. He passes through the kitchen to see that everything was all cleaned up realizing that MSM must have done it before going to sleep herself. He planned to thank MSM profusely for all her help and support with a gift when he comes back later for his intimate dinner with his Princess.