CHAPTER XXXII – “Missing You” Last Broadcast Day Surprise

Decision - A Turning Point

 

EH woke up in the early afternoon of the 17th of January 2013, the day of the last broadcast of “Missing You”, still feeling a little bit weak but very much well-rested. She instinctively reached out for her mobile phone and was honestly a wee bit disappointed to find no SMS from YC, after all their 2 weeks of no contact does not start until after the wrap-up party tomorrow. Burying her innate shyness and gathering her courage, EH sends YC a naughty SMS saying: “Good afternoon Mr PYC, ignoring me already? I guess you are not missing me after all! Letting you know that I just woke-up still a bit weak but totally refreshed, in case you’re interested, that is.” After sending off the SMS, EH shyness returns with a vengeance and she starts murmuring to herself “Ottoke…what got into me? Ottoke…how could I have sent that SMS to YC? Ottoke…I…was…possessed by another spirit!!! Ottoke…what will YC think?” “Ottoke…” These thoughts were whirling in her mind as she waited anxiously for YC’s reply; holding on tightly to her mobile phone.

 

YC stirred from his deep slumber at the beep and vibration of the message received alert of his mobile phone. He was having sweet dreams about his beloved EH so was reluctant to totally cede to total wakefulness; but realizing that the SMS may be important, he reluctantly opened his eyes and reached for his mobile phone. He came to full alert as soon as he saw the name of the sender of the message and hurriedly opened and read it. He frowned when he read the first part of the message but a happy smile was slowly forming on his face as he read on. He thought: “Wah, my honey is cute when she’s pissed! Does she honestly think I do not miss her? I just dreamt of her!!! Cincha, my EH is so adorable. Hmmm…I’d better video call her ASAP!!! I’d like to see her beloved face!!!” Dialling EH’s number, he makes the call.

 

EH nearly drops her phone on her bed as soon as she sees YC’s name in the caller ID of her mobile phone. EH shyly and hesitantly answers: “He….llo? YC uhmmm…just ignore the message I sent you, okay…I just woke up and was not thinking straight when I sent it…”

YC interrupts EH’s suddenly speeding-up explanation saying: “Good afternoon jagi-ah, this is a video call so can you move your phone from your lovely ear so I can see your even lovelier face?” EH, startled by what YC said moves the phone to see a slightly dishevelled but totally adorable YC, who just clearly woke-up from sleep.

EH, feeling guilty and looking it answered: “Did my SMS wake you up? Gosh! I’m so sorry for being so thoughtless and inconsiderate. I did not stop to think that you might still be asleep. I did not mean to disturb…

YC, smiling broadly, cuts in: “Hey, honey, stop apologizing. I’m not sorry to wake-up to your SMS, it was the perfect way to wake-up to a new day. You have my permission to do it anytime. Besides I was dreaming about you and the two of us together, so talking to you now is much, much better.” After a slight pause YC mischievously continues: “So…you missed me...hmm?” Hearing EH stuttering and seeing her blushing face, YC continues: “I miss you too, honey. You just woke up earlier than me this time, otherwise I would have sent you a SMS earlier. Honestly, I loved it that you sent me a SMS, you rarely make the first move to express your feelings so I was pleasantly surprised. I love being surprised by you”

EH, having collected her composure answers: “Thank you for saying that. I do miss you and, yes, I don’t usually express my feelings first, you know why.”

YC: “I do, my love, I really do; that’s why when you act this way I am very humbled, appreciative, grateful and happy. It means that you sincerely care for me for you to put your innate shyness aside and be a little bolder.”

EH, starting to feel emotional, changed the subject saying: “Thanks honey for understanding me. Oh, by the way, will you be watching the final broadcast with your Mom and YooHwan?”

YC: “Yes, I am. How about you? Want me to come get you so you can join us?”

EH: “YC-nie are you crazy!!! How can I intrude on your family bonding time! Besides, I would be too embarrassed because of the ‘wedding scene’. You enjoy your time with your Mom and brother. I’ll be fine.”

YC: “But who are you watching it with? Will you go visit your parents and Bansuk and watch the last episode with them?”

EH: “No, I can’t. MSM is like a hawk watching over me and making sure that I follow doctor’s orders and stay home and rest. I’ll visit them when I get better. I’ll just stay here and watch it alone with MSM and whomever of my staff is still here during broadcast time.”

YC: “You sure? I can always go over and watch it…”

EH quickly cut YC off: “Don’t even think of it Mr PYC!!! You’ll disappoint your family and I don’t want that, besides, I know you well enough to know that you will regret not keeping your promise to your Mom. Stay home, I’ll be fine! Discussion over! Arraso?”

YC reluctantly replies: “Okay, you know me too well.”

EH: “Okay, I need to go. MSM is making signs for me to go eat so I can take my medicines. Bye.”

YC, reluctantly: “Okay, but EH-ay, I’m not disconnecting our phone conversation because I want to, you understand, I’d like to keep talking to you all day. I’m only doing this because you need to take care of things so that you get healthier. Bye for now”

 

Cutting off the phone connection YC’s mind starts making plans as he leaves his room to find his Mom and YooHwan to toss his idea about a surprise ‘picnic’ he was planning to cheer EH up after watching the last broadcast with them.

 

Although EH was contented to watch the last episode of “Missing You” at home with MSM and a couple of staff members, EH was wishing that she could have accepted YC’s invitation to watch it with his family, but she knew that good manners would not allow it. She also wished that she could have gone home to her parent’s house and watch it with them and Bansuk but her health would not allow it. (Her family has an agreement that, to protect EH’s privacy, since not a lot of people knew where she lived, they will not visit EH in her place all together. They could visit her one at a time and EH will visit them whenever possible). Unbeknownst to EH, MSM and the 2 staff members who stayed behind were in cahoots with YC on his plan to surprise her after the broadcast.

 

EH was preparing for bed when she was surprised by MSM coming into her room and asking her to come out and join her for a small snack celebration for the successful completion of “Missing You”.  Wondering why MSM was suddenly being lenient about her ‘bedtime’, EH, nevertheless, follows MSM out to find her dining area in complete darkness. Turning questioning eyes to MSM, EH sees her giving a thumbs-up sign and suddenly the lights are , rendering EH blind for a moment due to the sudden brightness, as her other 2 staff members pops confetti on her. As soon as her vision clears, she sees YC by her dinning room table with a spread of Ice Cream, cake, biscuits, cheeses and fruits plus 3 bottles of Dom Perignon on the table in front of him.

 

Stunned by this surprise, EH is left standing at the entrance of her dining room as if her feet were glued to the spot. As MSM waves at YC and signs that she is leaving to go to her room and the other 2 staff members leave to quietly go home, YC, smiling lovingly at EH, slowly approaches her to take her hand, put his arms around her shoulders as he escorts her slowly forward to take a seat beside him at the table.

Holding EH’s hands in both of his as they are seated face to face YC whispers to EH: “I planned to surprise you but I never dreamed that I would be this successful. Have you recovered from the shock it seems I gave you?”

EH nods and answers emotionally: “Nobody, outside of my family and really close friends, has ever done something like this for me before, especially not a co-lead in a drama.” Tears of joy trickles down EH’s cheeks.

Gently wiping EH’s tears with the pad of his thumbs, YC answers: “Yay! I am not JUST a co-lead in a drama! I am your future boyfriend, at least for now, and most definitely YOUR FUTURE HUSBAND, if I have anything to say in it.”

With a radiant smile on her face EH teasingly answers: “Really now, Mr PYC! What makes you so confident?”

YC boldly answers: “The fact that I love you so much and the fact that I KNOW that you love me back with the same intensity.”

EH: “Really now? You have become very sure of yourself haven’t you?”

YC: “Am I wrong?”

EH could only answer YC with a sweet smile.

YC: “Honey, we better start our celebration, MSM only gave me an hour with you before I have to make sure that you get in bed and go to sleep. Hmmm...do you think MSM would let me sleep beside you?”

EH gives YC a whack on his arm for his last remark. YC complaints: “I guess not.”

 

Giving each other foolish smiles, YC and EH spent the next hour talking, cracking joking, laughing and eating the food set on the table as well as sharing a bottle of Dom Perignon.  After the allotted hour YC and EH cleared the table putting the left-overs in containers to put inside the refrigerator. YC rinsed the dishes as EH placed them in the dishwasher, then, cleaning-up chores completed, YC escorts her to her room and tucks her in. As soon as she is cocooned in her bed with her comforter wrapped around her EH sleepily tells YC: “YC-nie, I’m fine now, please go home yourself and rest. The wrap up party is tomorrow.”

YC fondly caressing EH’s forehead answers: “I’ll go when you fall asleep. Oh, btw, I’m letting go of HJW’s image by tomorrow’s wrap up party, be prepared for a surprise.”

EH already half asleep murmurs: “Another surprise…ohkay.”

YC smiles as he looks at his sleeping beauty and thinks to himself: “This is the sight I would like to see every night as I go to sleep. Uri EH’s sleeping face.” Giving EH a loving kiss on the lips, YC gets up to leave, walking backward towards the bedroom door reluctant to remove his gaze from EH’s relaxed and angelic face as she sleeps.

Before closing the door YC whispers: “Good night, my princess, dream only of me, you hear! See you tomorrow.” YC quietly leaves EH’s house walking home full of beautiful memories of this time they spent together.