Chapter 59

A Bang In The Heart

 

        "Most people pronounce it, 'could of' instead of 'could have'" I spoke smoothly and slowly in English.
        Jiyong nodded sincerely and repeated, "Could of. I should of bought that. I could of said that." 
        I nodded but tried to not look into his eyes. The atmosphere was so weird and there was a tension every time we spoke. It's been about three weeks that's it's been like this but I still can't get used to it. Jiyong rarely looked at me directly and spoke with his head tilted downwards. Whenever we did make eye contact, my hands would get sweaty and my heartbeat would sky rocket in panic mode. We avoided calling each other's names so we wouldn't have a hard time figuring out what to call each other. And if we did, it was "Jiyong-shi" or an awkward "Remi". Short story short, it was painfully awkward.
        Jiyong had been looking different these days. A bit more healthier and rigid in structure. Everytime I saw him on tv and in person, he seemed to be getting more colder though. His words were short and emotionless, and he didn't seem to hesitate at all in front of me. The cold marble eyes only reflected what he saw, but he never took it in to his mind.
        Was it because of Miko? Already, the two have been on a few tv programs, mainly the talk shows and they talked about how they met and any funny or romantic instances that they've been through. But I couldn't do anything about it. Screaming and crying wouldn't help so all I would do was but my lip and change the channel.
        We ended the lesson short and Jiyong coldly left without saying too much, just a mere goodbye and a thank you. 
 
 Was this what we had become? Just strangers only together by business? The guy who used to hold me and laugh with me. The guy who I would lay on top of him and fall asleep after playing with his lips with mine. The guy who used to...care about me.
      But we were just teacher and student now.
      Like Jiyong, the rest of the members had been crazy busy too. Youngbae I only met on the weekends but mainly to just talk with him like the kind friend he was. I loved that about him, he knew what I was sensitive to and what made me laugh. I sometimes wondered what it would have been like if we were dating...but that was all water under the bridge now. How could I possibly bring that up?
      Besides, I had...Minwoo. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Ah Noona! You have to come to my birthday party!" Minwoo said as if he was ordering me to go. His eyes were shiny and hopeful as his finger pointed directly at me.
       "Oh... Of course! Um. When is it again??" I asked.
       Minwoo frowned and pouted, "What? You don't even know my birthday?" 
       I scratched my head, "I know you said something about it last month..."
       "It's this Friday!"
       "I knew that! It's just.... What should I get you?" I thoughtfully looked up at the ceiling.
       "You don't need to get me anything. I just need you there and it's gonna be the best present ever." Minwoo said with a soft smile.
       I gave an embarrassed smile and my shoulders sunk. "Aww you...You're just.."

 

        "It's gonna be at a really popular bar. It took me literally two months to reserve a few spots at the place. So be prepared to get wasted." Minwoo winked flirtingly.
        "Yah, what kind of birthday party is that?" I laughed out loud (LOL).
        "I don't know but it's gonna be fun, just promise me you'll go."
        I sunk my head down for a second. But from the corner of my eye, I saw Minwoo come close towards me. With his fingers, he delicately lifted up my face to his level. Minwoo was way taller than me but our faces were still very close. 
        Then he did it. He leaned down towards my lips and gave me a smooth kiss. One that just pushed against me and softly parted away. 
        Oh my god Minwoo....you're so inexperienced. That's all that went through my mind.
        But I forced myself to smile as sweetly as I could and nodded. "Alright alright, I'm going."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Putting on my makeup was hard enough but choosing what to wear was even harder. Should I go all out ty or keep it classy?
        In the end, I kept it clean but still a bit flirty by wearing a cute black leather skirt and a clean white v-neck with a chic pink and blue scarf to match it all together. My eyeliner was crisp and fresh but also dark and alluring which worked well with my pink lips.
        I looked in the mirror to examine my final look.
Dang girl. You look pretty good, if I do say so myself.
        Why was I trying so hard though? Was I desperate?
 
          Sighing, I put on my black heels and left the house into the already dark sky.
          The bar was located in Hongdae, which was somewhat close to where I lived. Hongdae, the world of clubbing and bars galore. The night life breathtakingly stunning there. The streets as always were crowded as heck and I felt a bit lost trying to find my way to the right place. I awkwardly held Minwoo's present, which a pair of shoes wrapped neatly inside a bag.
           I finally found the right place and as he said, it was crazy popular. Maybe a hundred people seemed to be crowded inside of this place. The lights were bright but the walls were dark which made it seem like there was a spot light in the middle of the bar. There were people talking with each other and people eating and drinking, just having a good time.
       ...but where was he? I felt so awkward just standing around, looking for him with my head up.
      "Ah noona!" I heard Minwoo's voice behind me and I quickly turned around. Minwoo was looking very handsome in a clean cut white button up shirt and his hair was tousled up into a slight mohawk. There was a wide smile on his face as he excitedly walked towards me.
      "Oh Minwoo-ya! Saengilchookhahae*!" I said brightly and smiled.
       Minwoo automatically put his arm around my shoulder. "Gomawo."
      His eyes looked down at the present, "Oh you got me something??"
And then they rolled over towards my eyes as he leaned into my cheek and gave me a quick kiss. "I told you that you didn't need to get me anything. I just want you."
-------------
*saengilchookhahae- happy birthday
---------
 
    How the heck was I supposed to take this?? Do I like Minwoo? I mean he's cute and all but For some reason, I just couldn't get myself to like him that way. He didn't give me a flurry of excitement, or blind me by love. He was just...Minwoo.
     But apparently, he didn't think we were just a noona-dongsaeng* relationship. But more than that.
     Minwoo took me over to his friends and introduced me to every one of them as if I was his girlfriend. But I didn't protest or anything, all I did was smile and wave. 
      But then the games started. The atmosphere was great, his friends were funny and awesome and I laughed countless times from the jokes that they made. After several drinking games and dares, the walls and people began to blend in and the world felt as if it was crushing down, like inception but reality.
       Holy crap I was drunk as hell. I giggled and laughed at everything and felt like I was on top of the world. The crowd noises muted out and my own little song came on in my head. My feet felt trippy and had a mind of their own. 
        Blinking hard, I tried to go back into my sober self but it was like fighting with the devil. 
        "Noona, are you okay?" Minwoo asked me with a concerned look on his face. His eyebrows...they looked like squiggly worms.
I giggled obnoxiously and felt my face burn. "Yiiippppy!!! I am. I am A Okay!! You have worms!" 
         I didn't care what the hell I was saying, but I liked it. I felt so free!
----------------
*noona-dongsaeng- older sister, younger brother relationship. Just meaning they're close friends 
--------
        I felt my stomach tighten from all the drinks that I had and realized that I had to go pee like crazy. "Yah you know what?! I think...I think I have to go! To the bathroom!!!" 
        Minwoo gave me a funny look and stood up with me, but I brushed him away, "Yah don't touch me, you don't know me!" 
I stumbled my way across the think crowd and walked towards the bathroom. I felt this weird feeling of confidence and freedom coming up and It was as if nothing in the world scared me. Not even Kwon Jiyong.
       Ha! Kwon Jiyong. That bastard. How was he doing these days?? He never talked to me so how would I know? Hey! Maybe I'll give him a call!
       I almost tripped as I reached the bathroom hallway and leaned against the wall with my cheek. I flipped my phone out of my pocket with a rowdy move and looked for Jiyong's number.
       What should I ask him? How was his love life going?? I suppressed a giggle with my fingers and bit my lip to stop. Where would he be right now?
       My finger traced his name on my screen and my thumb with it's own mind went for the kill as it pressed "call". 
My drunkness faked my confidence for me and the rings sounded like melody to my ears.
    There was silence as I heard the other line pick up. 
    "...Remi?" His soft voice answered.
Ahhh!! He answered?! My heart thumped quickly but excitement began to build up at the edge of my body.
     "Hello!! Ji-yong-shi!" I articulated his name clearly and with enthusiasm.
 
        His voice automatically filled with concern and curiosity. "Remi, what's wrong?"
       Aha, the way he said Remi...I always love it. My face burned up and the air felt heavy and warm.
       "Nothing you bastard! You stupid bastard!" I shouted as a small burp escaped from my mouth. Oh wow. The hallway was getting really narrow. Or wider? I couldn't tell.
        "R-Remi, where are you?" Jiyong's voice became a bit more serious and wary.
        "None of your business! I'm having fuuuun!!" I threw my hands in the air and dropped my phone. The phone landed on the hard ground with a loud clash. I kept down on my knees to retrieve it. 
Whew, it's not broken. The line was still on so I put it back to my ear and continued the call.
        "Stop playing around, where the hell are you?!" Jiyong asked a bit more furiously. Why the heck was he getting upset? Was he worried about me? I laughed at the thought and grinned stupidly.
        "Me? I'm at...uhh Hongdae!!"
        "Hongdae...where in Hongdae?"
        I put a finger to my lips, "Shhhh...I'll never tell!!"
        "You're drunk."
        "I'm not drunk! I want to ask you something though!!" I took a deep breath and yelled it out loud, "So how's Miko?! DO YOU LOVE HER?!? DO YOU LOVE HER AS MUCH AS I LOVED YOU?!!"
There I said it. I felt so relieved.
Jiyong was completely silent on the other line. 

 

        I felt so happy but why did I feel so...stupid? My face scrunched up and I let out a loud laugh, "DOES SHE MAKE YOU HAPPY?!! CRY?! LAUGH?!!" 
       The hallway was now squeezing me tightly and my chest constricted.
       After a few seconds of deadly silence, Jiyong finally spoke. His words soft but crisp with a determination, "I'm coming to get you"
And then the phone disconnected.
       , what? Coming to get me? He couldn't possibly come to get me...right? I panicked a bit and looked around. The people were still talking and having a good time, but they all looked funny. Like they were faking it, and trying to pretend that their lives were so great and amazing, just to trip me over. I stood there for about five minutes as my body waved back and forth, trying to find a balance on my feet.
       Then a tall figure walked approached me and when I squinted my eyes, I saw that it was Minwoo.
       "What's wrong? You were taking really long. Are you okay?" He asked as he wiped something off my face. 
       Then something devious came over me. I raised my eyebrows ily and grinned with one corner of my lips. "I have another present for you birthday boy."
       Pulling Minwoo towards me, I pushed him against the wall with my hand cupping his face. My eyes gazed over his lips and his eyes sparkled. There was a smile excited smile on his lips as he leaned his head down so that I could see him better.
 
       I leaned up to his face, kissing him hard with all my might. My lips violently pressed against his as my fingers traced his jawline. He tasted of sweet alcohol and a bit of drunkness. But I didn't care much for the taste, it was the feeling I was going for. A release of stress and just someone to kiss was all I wanted. I was using him but tonight, I didn't care.
       He pulled back just for a second to breath but then I pulled his shirt towards me block off his breathing again. My lips twisted and ferociously kissed away like I had never done before. Just so I didn't have to talk.
Everything just felt dark to me except for the light coming from the main bar room.
       From the corner of my blurry eye, I saw a dark figure casting a shadow on us as he walked in front of the only source of light.
      I stopped the kiss and my lips playfully. Minwoo smiled and let out a nervous laugh. I looked down and gave a hopeless smile. Why the heck did I do that?
      The shadow stopped walking and froze. With a lazily half opened eye, I blinked over to the figure watching us. 
      Standing there was Jiyong, in his white patient mask to cover his face and wearing a classy slim fitting designer suit. His coffee black hair slicked back and shiny, his jewelry glimmering brilliantly in the light and his expensive looking pair of oxfords on his feet. Just his spiffy little self just watching us. 
      When I saw his sad glossy eyes emotionlessly gazing at me, I looked down to give a little smirk and kissed Minwoo on the lips again. Even harder this time to make myself go blind.