Chapter 72

Youngest of Pieces: [WHO- I AM] (8)

 

She smacks her lips together to check in the hand-size mirror the new layer of charged cherry lipstick she has put on, liking the colour because it isn’t too dark or bright or too eye-catching but it is stylish. She leans a little back to see her whole face in the mirror, checking her eyes to see a simpler make-up than what she is used to on stage and at photo shoots. The long blonde hair is hanging down her shoulders, straightened and simply styled to lay still; her hair is always her favourite part. She feels lady-like with the lipstick and hair, wearing a black padded-shoulder v-neck dress that hides a bit of her bottle-type body but with a matching belt holding the dress together around her waist and to not have it look so short she is also wearing a pair of black cropped leggings and to pull out the outfit the best way she is in pretty black high heels. On her left wrist she is wearing a sponsored black leather bracelet watch in gold, and on her right she is wearing a black bracelet from the same sponsor, her whole outfit complete with coloured nails matching her lipstick.

The whole outfit made her stylist fans his hand to his face, being proud over his work to make the youngest piece look like a young lady for her book launch opening event.

It is still two hours left until the event will begin, but Hannah is sitting ready in the car, checking not just her make-up but also her cell phone repeatedly to check new text messages, twitter and most of all the time. Manager Lee is sitting in the passenger seat, unable to keep his own fingers still as he is waiting too. Her nervousness makes him nervous, even restless while the camera-man sitting next to the girl is just focusing on filming.

“Fans have been camping there,” Manager Lee says in a low voice. Maybe to himself, he isn’t sure; Hannah doesn’t answer, maybe because she has heard him say that three times already and she takes a deep breath looking out the window of the streets they drive by. The night sky is dark but she can’t see up there because of the city buildings and all of the lights from the street. She leans towards the window to get mesmerized by the lights flashing by, trying to see the restaurant signs and neon signs they pass. It isn’t much traffic at this hour but the car isn’t driving fast either, letting her disappear in another world of nervousness when seeing nothing but the street they are driving on.

Fans had been chosen for this midnight event through a lottery, but the fans her manager mentioned are fans that will go on book signings during the day; it is limited the amount of fans who can get a signed book during each event so fans are camping in line to secure a chance to get a signed copy.

“Are you excited?”

The camera-man’s low voice interrupts Hannah in her lost thoughts, wanting her to say something so the part won’t be cut out from the reality show. Hannah takes a deep breath now when she isn’t looking out the window, blinking a few times.

“I’m more nervous now,” she answers, also in a low voice as it is no need to speak louder in the quiet car. She swallows nervously, glancing out the window but looking back in the car to not become locked up in her own thoughts. “I am more nervous than I thought I would be… and I’m not sure how to deal with it.”

“It’s making me nervous as well,” Manager Lee confesses from the passenger seat.

“I’m not sure what the readers will expect from the book,” Hannah says to all of them in the car. “I got like … I have been reading the first part so many times now to be able to pull it off well at the event, but I’m not sure if I’ll do well.”

Manager Lee wants to say something, hearing how her voice is panicking, but he doesn’t find anything suitable now when they are filming so he keeps his mouth shut.

“I got the best support though,” Hannah says before she smiles at the camera-man, “text after text keeps coming…”

“Who is texting you?”

“Um…” Hannah pouts while checking her cell phone to see one of the texts, “SNSD’s Tiffany has texted me, telling me that they are waiting to get to read the book…… f(x)’s Krystal has texted too; she is going to China in the morning, so I wrote to her that a copy will be waiting and that she has to get her beauty sleep.” She gives a chuckle. “I would choose the stage hundred of times over this, honestly, it’s freaking me out.”

“You don’t want to publish the book?”

“I want to! But I’m dying on the inside of all the feelings and emotions that I’m not used to. On the stage, I know all the crazy things that can happen, but now I’m just … waiting for slaughter,” Hannah answers, starting to look like she is beginning to freak out. She then smiles, becoming a beautiful young lady the moment she smiles at the camera-man. “It’s just that I’m not good promoting on my own. I need my ladies as support around me; everything can go wrong if they are around, but nothing will feel wrong.”

Hannah has no idea of what she is saying, all she knows is that she wouldn’t show her nervousness if the ladies were here. They weren’t allowed to come; Julia has a solo schedule and the other three are planning solo performances for the concert.

The car drives around to the back of the building where the event will be held, Hannah and the others going through a backdoor and meeting some more staff who guides them to a door where they will be until the event begins.

Hannah hides her lips when entering the room, surprised over not just this attention the staff gives her (they are talking to her about things she already know and then explains what the room has). There are flowers in the room, giving off a soft scent by the windows, there are grapes, strawberries and champagne on a round table in the middle of the room, big unopened boxes containing the brand new books are lined up to the right and a sofa with a thin blanket folded over the armrest, there is a longer table by the wall next to the door with more flowers, there is some kind of buns and vanilla buns in a white napkin dressed basket, there is even juice and milk next to coffee thermos and bottled water, a plate with expensive chocolate pieces as big as a thumb and finally a little card written from the staff who has prepared this that Hannah will be comfortable.

It isn’t really something she expected, or asked for to get. Hannah is shocked by the view. All this for Hannah’s one and a half hour to be here?

“Do you want some coffee, or maybe tea?” a female staff asks Hannah politely with a gesture towards the table on the side.

“No, thank you,” Hannah answers with a smile, walking across the room to look out the window, but she can’t see anything because of the bright light indoors. Manager Lee walks up to the table on the side to get himself a cup of tea, mentioning for Hannah to hear that it is a really good English tea they have. Hannah makes a face towards the window. “I got English tea to Julia when I was in London,” she mentions, remembering how she was looking through tea after tea after tea, not having a clue what she was looking at because Hannah doesn’t drink tea but she knows her members like it so she wanted to give them real British tea.

“That tea is delicious,” Manager Lee says and turns around with his cup. “What do you think, Hannah, does the room suit you?”

She smiles at him, knowing he is making fun of the hard work people have done to fix this room for her. All of this! Hannah definitely could be okay with just a bottle of water; papers and pens would be alright too. But this… is definitely too much. But she can’t be disrespectful to the staff and says the room is perfect before she takes a seat in the sofa.

Hannah is getting more and more nervous by each second, unable to sit still and she is talking for herself when walking around in the room, muttering that she doesn’t like to wait. Emelia gives her a call, talking for fourteen minutes. Hannah has on loudspeaker for a part of the call, smiling when standing there with her cell phone and hearing Emelia tell the camera that is filming Hannah that the youngest is living out a dream.

It’s the truth. Wanting to be an idol was never really a dream of hers, not until six years ago, but to become an author has been a dream since she learned how to write as a child. That doesn’t mean the dream of writing is bigger, it just has been a part of her for all her life, and she doesn’t have her friends standing next to her right now so she doesn’t know where to take all her nervousness and worries.

11:11 {Twitter, 5P_HANNAH: I am so nervous! Nervous from top to toe! I don’t like to wait… What will happen with my nerves, almost 21 years just flashes by me xD}

11:25 {Twitter, 5P_HANNAH: Are you ready? Am I ready? … … 2013.07.01 ‘Joe – Déjà Vu’}

Twenty minutes before midnight, Hannah is walking to the hall this event will be held at. She smiles and gives a jump at first, trying to calm herself when walking and she keeps glancing around her to make sure Manager Lee is with her. He even puts his hand on her back to let her know he is there, and she takes a deep breath.

They are told to stop outside the hall, and Hannah can hear a woman talking through a microphone for everyone to hear in there, talking about how to behave and how things will go like. The blonde girl nods, knowing what she will do once it begins. The female voice heard in the hall gladly and honoured introduces the author to make her entrance, and Hannah sees the man in front of her make a hand gesture for her to walk inside. She is so nervous.

By Hannah’s entrance in the hall, 600 fans start to cheer and clap their hands from their seats in the hall; in the very back there is media filming and taking pictures the moment she takes a step inside. Hannah looks at her feet at first, just to see the path she has to walk up to the small stage before she looks up to her left where everyone is, and she smiles when seeing the faces following her. For her it is a different feeling than what she is used to; those sitting in here are all cheering and applauding and someone is even whistling at her, but everyone is sitting down; no pushing, no freak-out screaming or overly doing reactions like she is used to for 5 pieces’ promotions. It is more grown-up behaviour, though she sees kids sitting in the audience, those in their early teens. There are mostly teenagers in the audience, some seem to even be there with their mother, some are in their twenties but it is just a few faces that seem to be over their thirties.

Standing on the small stage, Hannah holds on to one copy of the book with both hands, starting off the event by standing there for pictures to be taken. She looks calm, like a professional who always stands in the spotlight, knowing how to show her best features with a printed natural smile in her face. The pictures are taken of her standing up with the book, facing forward, a little to the right and then a little to the left before she gets to sit down on the chair she will sit on during the first part of the event and she crosses one leg over the other before posing in that position as well.

This calm and natural look in her movement and expression is fascinating for everyone in the hall to watch. Even her manager standing on the side is impressed with how she gracefully moves, how goes from one kind of smile to another without loosing its connection to the smile in her eyes that always has been part of her most charming point. She wets a small part of her lip before smiling anew, moving her eyes slowly across the hall. Even gay men would find her absolutely stunning; her legs are pretty in high heels and cropped leggings, her skin is smooth all from her face to her body in a colour that is light yet you can spot the days she spent in the Okinawa sun a week ago, the dress takes away attention from her s and instead you take notice of the natural beauty and Hannah seems to know how to calm down on her y and cute image as she now is more like a lady than her fans and manager has ever seen before. Manager Lee can look out over the audience, see that every person there takes notice of her different image as an author than the image she has as a celebrity. He smiles over the impressed and admiring expressions on peoples’ faces, remembering how Emelia feels so proud whenever 5 Pieces is being called Chameleons. Hannah is one; she can go past any concept, come by as a silly young idol who is nervous and insecure one second and the next become a respected young woman who gives confident to the people she meet, who makes you want to do better to reach her level through charity and talent. It is really a girl who you can admire and be inspired by; making Manager Lee feels like he has a great job.

When the clock hits midnight, Hannah opens the first page in her book, clearing . With a small microphone by her collar she starts to read in a calm voice, speaking the same way as she has practiced and reading clearly to make sure everyone can hear what she is reading for them.

She used to read books for her younger brothers before she went to Korea, she reads to Kyung Ho at times too and last year she even read two chapters out of the first ‘Joe’ to Jonghyun. For the past days she has been reading the same beginning of the book to be able to read it as good as possible for this event.

It’s fun to hear the silence around her. Not a sound while she is reading, the people in there listening to her read the first part of the second book, only her voice is heard through the microphone in the hall. The audience is listening, everyone is curious to hear how the beginning will be like.

No one notices that Hannah is nervous, how she is thinking of when to breathe while she is reading out for them all. It’s like reading at a kindergarten, for children who haven’t heard the story before and want to know if the prince survives the fight against the dragon and wins the princess in the end.

 

It’s around half four in the morning when Hannah finally finish signing her book to the last fan at the event. 600 books signed at the event, and Hannah has smiled at every single person who has stepped up in front of her with his or hers brand new copy of ‘Joe – Déjà vu’, the second book of an exclusive journey. She is exhausted, her hand is hurting from signing so many books and she is tired and really need to use the bathroom.

With the last fan in the audience getting his copy, everyone in the hall is applauding as Hannah stands up. She smiles and waves, taking a microphone from the table to thank everyone for coming; for spending these four hours together, for reading her book, for all the support and most of all, for coming here in the middle of the night just to attend this event. She gives a deep bow after putting the microphone away, and she then walks out of the hall with a shaky heart.

The doors are closed behind them and all that tiredness she felt for a second ago has disappeared and she smiles up at the camera-staff and her manager, shaking her hands.

“It’s out,” she cheers quietly for herself, all excited and she laughs.

“Where are we going now?” the main camera-man focusing his camera right at her asks.

Hannah looks up at Manager Lee. She has big hopes of where to go, but she doesn’t want to say something and then be disappointed to have her manager say something else.

“You’re going home,” Manager Lee answers. He is walking a little faster, just to have them leave before it is chaos outside.

“I’m going home to sleep,” Hannah tells the camera, all excited like a child, “Or I’ll try to sleep at least. I’m not sure I will be able to do it though.”

She takes a glance at the time on her cell phone that she has in the handbag her manager has kept for her until now.

“I’ll have to wake up in … three-four hours though,” she says with a twitch in her eyebrows, laughing after she has said it for some unknown reason. Manager Lee opens the backdoor, leading her to the car waiting for them and Hannah waves to fans standing over by the corner of the building before she takes her seat.

Hannah is smiling against the window now when they start their drive home, because when the car pulls out around the building she can see fans from the event there, some are even reading the book already.

“It’s amazing,” Hannah breathes, without the camera-man asking her how she feels. She giggles and holds a blanket up to her face, peeing out behind it. “I can’t wait for how the rest of the day will be like. And I wonder if they like the book…” She giggles again with a huge smile, letting the blanket down in her lap and she rests her head back, looking out the window for a few seconds before she smiles at the camera-man. “I got four events for the book later today and about 105 interviews to do…” She can’t stop smiling, holding up the blanket again to laugh behind it.

When they started the event she had hoped she looked alright because she was freaking out of excitement and nervousness on the inside, but her manager had told her when she had asked him before the book signing part of the event started that you couldn’t see a glimpse of nervousness. She can’t believe that though because she was so nervous that she couldn’t even hold the book properly.

Now she can’t stop laughing. Once the laughing calms down, she starts to giggle and begins to laugh again. Her manager says she is tired, but Hannah tells him she is happy – and tired.

She giggles when she takes a book from the box they have gotten with them, and she has a huge smile when she looks at the cover of the book. The cover reads clearly ‘Joe – Déjà Vu’, with her name written below in a smaller size. The picture cover is of a man, who holds his hand up to put a shadow over his face so you can’t really tell what kind of man it is, but what he holds in his hand is hanging down in a chain to the back of his hand to show a kind of medallion. You can’t see its details, but you know it is a medallion. The cover is so good! It’s mysterious and exactly how she wants it to be, it’s perfect.

A picture that her manager took of her during the event; the picture is taken from the side of the stage of Hannah sitting there and reading, she gets it sent to her own cell phone to upload on twitter.

{Twitter, 5P_HANNAH: (picture) I love what I do, thanks for the best time!}

Hannah comes home to a quiet apartment, like she expected everyone is sleeping. During the last part of the drive she had calmed down, getting tired again so now when coming home she gets out of the sponsored clothes and accessories to put on her favourite raglan-sleeve print t-shirt in gray with black sleeves, falling down in her bed tiredly after being in the bathroom.

But she isn’t still for long. She gets out of bed after a few minutes to do her usual exercise, continuing to repeat it slowly while she is in deep thoughts. When she is alone now she can think through about her night, her face-expression and eyes are lost in thoughts, spacing out.

Her breathing slows down when she is done, sitting down tailor in her bed and now really spacing out with her lips parted. Her night, all the faces she saw, how she read to them, of how she signed her autograph, the cover of her book – the publishing day of her second book ever – the flashes from the photographers, the tiny little red lamp on cameras filming her, pens moving over the pads of journalists, her own heart beating fast in her chest and her own thoughts of being in control of her own body’s every movement, every word coming out , off where she placed her feet and thinking of how she would look like from their point of view. Did she have to stretch her back more, or did she have to part her fingers more on the book when holding it? Do her eyes look tired and if they do, how should she fix it? She had so much on her mind that she couldn’t focus on all the things she took in, which is why she is now thinking through it all.

With a sigh she lies down, staring up at the ceiling. It’s a great day. It feels like the day is coming to an end, but it is just in the morning; it’s because she was up all night. She starts to smile when hearing one of their puppies outside her room; not walking towards her room, she guesses the puppy has been in someone’s bedroom and is going to another sleeping place. Quietly she whispers who it is, the paws stopping to move over the floor.

“Puppy?” she whispers, “Come here.”

The paws are moving again, this time coming closer and Hannah sits back up to look at her door, seeing who will come inside. The paws are hurrying up by the door and she smiles wider when seeing Ryo – he is always the one.

“My pretty little Ryo,” Hannah smiles and pats the bed in front of her for the puppy to jump up. She giggles when he picks with him a sock of hers in his mouth before jumping up in her bed, struggling like always with his back legs to get up. She embraces him and lies down in the bed, cuddling with him and giggling when he her hand happily.

It takes a few minutes before they are both just lying there. Hannah rolls around on her stomach, grabbing the camcorder on the bedside table they use for Life of Pieces. She has probably used it two times in over a month. She moves the two pillows to her legs to fit the camcorder in front of her, turning the LCD monitor around so when she turns on the camera she is able to see herself being filmed and she can focus the camera so it films herself lying there, spotting her head and shoulders and her arm stretched out to the camera, and also Ryo’s legs as he is lying on the side with his back against the wall. She tries to fix the focus of the camera twice the time than she actually should before she remembers that she is filming so she relaxes and smiles at the camera, glancing from the monitor to the lens.

“The time now is…” she starts to say with a glance at her clock on her bookshelf, speaking in a low voice, “5:45… Its morning and I can’t sleep … mostly because I have come home from the first book event and the blood is too hot in my veins to fall asleep.”

She suddenly groans with a grimace when Ryo is stretching out his legs, pressing his paws against her side and she giggles when he gets happy for her to react. Hannah keeps smiling when Ryo struggles to sit up straight, and she sees his head appear in the monitor so she leans her head a little towards his, giggling anew when he turns to her forehead until she holds up her hand so he can focus on it.

“This is 5 Pieces’ puppy Ryo,” she whispers to the camera. “He likes to sneak around in the night to see who has the cosiest place to sleep… Now he is here because I just came home. He has gotten big, hasn’t he?”

She pouts out her lips for the puppy and he lifts his head up, opens his mouth to breath with his tongue coming out and Hannah smiles at him.

“Ryo always listens to what I want to say,” Hannah mentions. “I tell him about my worries and it is always good to talk to someone about things going on in your life, right? Nothing is too small to mention… He’s the best listener in this apartment.”

She doesn’t film much more, as she wants to talk in private to the puppy about the book: Her worries and thoughts. She probably lies there in bed and whispers to the puppy for half an hour; he really is a great listener, just lying there and he is either looking at her or glancing at her but he seems to be listening the whole time. She pats his fur and smiles at him once in a while, very thankful for having such a pretty puppy keeping her company.

“Ryo…” she whispers to the puppy. “Who should we wake up?”

She gets up from bed and Ryo hurries down; not because of what she said but because she is getting up. Hannah jogs to her door before he runs after her, she is planning to follow him, but the puppy is starting to run towards the stairs so Hannah calls for him in a low voice, clapping her hands on her knees for him to come back and when he does she heads to the room right across hers. Michin is lying on the bed in there, waving his tail happily when they come inside but he is too lazy to even lift up his head at them. The room is Julia; she is sleeping in the bed until Hannah lifts Ryo up and makes him start to the sleeping one in the face. Michin keeps waving his tail so much but he still doesn’t get up. Hannah laughs when Julia starts moving, complaining at what is going on and Hannah gives Michin a hug before she sits down on Julia’ bed.

“Good morning. It’s morning now. I couldn’t sleep,” Hannah is all hyper, jumping where she is sitting and she laughs when Julia throws the pillow over her head.

“What time is it?” she groans under there.

“Half past six or something,” Hannah answers.

“Hannah…”

“Ryo has kept me company. But it’s morning now. Mi Young and Chan Hyo are coming soon. I guess. I’m not sure. I couldn’t listen when Oppa told me on the way home. Shouldn’t you get up soon? When are you leaving?”

“Hannah! Jeez…” Julia flies up on her . “I’m sleeping!”

“But not for long, right? I can make you coffee! How do you make coffee?”

Julia gives out a whine and presses the pillow against Hannah. “Shut up!”

The girl pouts, but she does get quiet so Julia lies back down with the pillow over her head. Ryo has already lied down on the bed, crowding in it with Julia and Michin. Michin has his own part of the bed next to Julia’s feet, while Ryo is snatching the place above to sleep. Hannah sits there for a moment, pouting and wondering what to do. Julia has a schedule today, she knows that, and it would be a nice gesture to make her coffee beside from the fact that Hannah has no idea of how to make coffee. So eventually she leaves Julia alone, going back to her own room to get her cell phone before she goes to sneak a glance inside Emelia’s bedroom (she is sleeping) and then head downstairs. Ryo is hurrying after her when hearing someone walk in the stairs.

Hannah heads inside the kitchen, like a habit she checks the fridge and like at times she doesn’t find anything to eat so instead she changes the water in the bowl for their puppies. She just gives a glance at the coffee machine before turning her back against it, instead walking to the hall to pick up the box of books and brings it inside her office.

She giggles and shakes her head when she walks inside, putting the box on her desk.

“Carolina will not approve this.” She is talking to their cat Ace, who is lying relaxed on Carolina’s chair. Hannah picks up Ace in her arms, cuddling with him when walking over to sit down in her own chair. “You are always sleeping, you know that?”

Ryo has lied down by the entrance from the living-room to outside the offices while Ace stays in Hannah’s arms as she picks up one book, looking at it with admiration. Her book. She has written it. Biting her lip, touched by the thought, she puts the book on the table to open it with one hand as the other one is holding on to the cat. She looks through her papers first to see what she has written before she looks through the book again.

“I got to write to them…” Hannah whispers to Ace, holding his head under her chin like she always does when having him in her arms. She pecks his smooth fur before sighing. “I had it all planned out what to write at first…”

She has written on notes ideas of what to write in the copies for her friends, especially to her members. She has thought it for a long time, coming with so many ideas of what to write to some people where she is just blank for others. She still knows what to write to one of them, starting off writing in the book ‘to. Emelia’ before she writes in Swedish below ‘you are always first, you know that’. She then hesitates with what to write, taking another piece of paper to write it as a test before writing the final in the book using Swedish again; ‘ever since kids we have been friends, you have made me so angry at times but what I remember the most is the times we spent laughing. Do you remember our first stories we wrote together? I do, and I will always remember. This book, I wrote in confidence my best friend will read it fairly – you did. And thank you for that’ and she finishes it with her autograph signed bigger below.

Emelia will know what she’s writing about.

She keeps biting her lips when reading through it a few times, then is satisfied and puts it aside, crossing her notes and takes out a second book. Julia said she didn’t need her own copy; she has read it and she knows the ladies will have the book so she doesn’t need her own one. Hannah understands that, especially since Julia doesn’t have her own books but borrows from the other ladies. Carolina had gotten huge eyes when hearing Julia say that, telling Hannah that she personally would want her own copy; that she has to get one. Hannah thinks it is more of a friend-thing than that she likes the book; it isn’t really Carolina’s genre to read.

To. Carolina. If you one day don’t have anything else to read, feel free to read JOE for me ^^,’ and then she writes her autograph, satisfied with what she has written. She writes that one in Korean for sure, knowing Carolina wouldn’t want it in another language.

It rings on the doorbell, making Hannah fly up on her feet as she at first thought thinks it is their stylists, but is then reminded that they have access to come inside without using the doorbell. Michin comes running down the stairs, barking and Ryo runs over to the door as well.

“Quiet,” Hannah tells them both strictly, holding on to Ace in her arms and she checks who is standing outside the door but doesn’t open the door until the puppies are quiet. “Good morning,” she smiles at the MTV staff for Life of Pieces who have come to film their day once again. Hannah steps back for them all to come inside, apologizing about the two puppies while she keeps holding the cat in her arms. Ace doesn’t care much about people anymore, used to have a lot of people coming and going wherever they are. “The others are soon waking up, there is no coffee prepared at the moment but please feel free to make if you want and use the kitchen as well.”

Aware of her own clothes – still in her long t-shirt that she uses as nightwear and bare legs – Hannah runs back to her office to sit there with her books. She saw Manager Kim arrive with the staff, but the manager makes sure the staff gets comfortable before she checks in on Hannah.

“Is everything alright?” the female manager wonders, standing by the door to the office to look at Hannah sit by her desk, hugging the cat in her arm and looking through some notes.

“Yes, of course,” Hannah nods. “I just want to write this before the ladies wake up.”

“Okay… I’ll go upstairs to wake Julia up,” Manager Kim tells before leaving, just to let Hannah know she will be upstairs and getting her some time alone. Hannah is biting her lip again when she focuses on her book, writing to the last piece while hearing the staff setting up in the apartment and also prepare coffee and cups in the kitchen.

To. Maria. Your words are the best medicine for my insecurity, all my worries are at ease as I know you tell me only the truth and that is why this book has been published. Your trust in me always surprises me, but thank you for it’ and she signs her autograph before adding a little ‘PS’ at the end ‘don’t loose this one…

Being done with the three most important copies, Hannah heads upstairs with Ace to fix the sponsored clothes and then heads downstairs when she has put on a pair of sweatpants and socks, so she can eat breakfast and walk the puppies. Only that the stylists arrives before she walk the puppies, so Manager Kim and Julia take a walk with the puppies while Hannah is starting to get her make-up and hair transformation by Mi Young. It is now everyone asks her about her night; and Hannah is speechless.

“You had so much to say when you woke me up but now you can’t say a thing?” Julia asks with a laugh when coming back with the puppies, getting a cup of coffee to drink.

“Random talk – ok. Important talk – difficult,” Hannah answers with a smile, then grimaces when Mi Young tells her to not move her face.

Emelia has woken up by the time Hannah has to leave for her schedule around nine but Hannah has left the signed books on their offices desks so she doesn’t say anything to Emelia about it. Hannah has gotten dressed in a sleeveless a-line dress for today’s book signings and interviews, wearing a thin belt around her waist and plain black platform high-heel sandals. Manager Lee had come to pick her up, talking about the press-conference she will do before the first book signing and he just keeps talking about all the things she has to do and go through.

The whole day they will have cameras following them. At the book signings it won’t be just for Life of Pieces but MTV is the only crew allowed to film her officially the whole day, others are filming for news reports and such.

She feels calmer now than what she did around midnight. This is something she is used to; fan signings and interviews. She has done it for five years, maybe not about books but she knows how to handle interviewers and media as long as she is prepared for it. And she is prepared this time; she knows what to answer on the question, she has prepared to know it all.

Knowing it is something she is used to, Hannah arrives at the press-conference with a big smile and not as a shaky nervous heart as it was a few hours ago. Journalists and media are crowding in the room; some are familiar faces that have interviewed Hannah and 5 Pieces before for magazines or TV.

She starts off with an introduction about the new book, then answers questions about the book promotions (that she will do book signings here and there on these days) and then also talk about the books popularity and abroad releases for later this year.

“What made you start liking to write in first place?” a woman in the middle asks with a pen in the air, going in deeper behind the books with the questions.

“At first I really enjoyed writing because there was no … boundaries,” Hannah answers in a clear tone, “Nothing felt impossible when writing and I would disappear in to an imagined world of my own where everything could happen and I really liked the thought of that.”

Hannah smiles as she knows it could sound sick, but it is the truth and she has nothing to hide with it. Writing really has no boundaries, there is nothing that says it can’t be true and though you don’t have to stick to fact or stay within a frame she really loves to look up facts to make it seem as possible as it can; she of course doesn’t think vampires and werewolves are real so that isn’t possible even though she writes about it, but other things are different.

“’Joe – Déjà Vu’ is darker yet having more humour in it than the first book, why is that?”

“Um…” Hannah seriously does not understand the question, but she has to answer something; “This part of the story is more about Joe’s past than the previous one, and she has a very dark past which is where the dark concept comes from. The humour … I think it has the same ground because of the characters from both books, but with new characters there are also new possibilities so that is where the humour could come from.”

She nods when hearing questions and she answers as well as she can, being patient during the press-conference with the media’s questions and comments.

“I used to write all the time when I felt depressed, for some reason I got inspired by it and I could spend a lot of time just letting everything out of me through writing. Afterwards I would feel better, as if I had my own therapy method and since it worked for me I just kept doing it,” Hannah is answering another question.

“Do you get disappointed in what you write at times?”

“I have never gotten disappointed in my own writing; I don’t mean I think I’m good at what I do it is more that everything I write, I guess I need to write down or it will keep annoying me in my head so… some things are useful while other things are just to get it out of my head.”

“Your characters in both books mare very detailed and realistic; is there a reason you make them so realistic and do you like the way they turn out?”

“I like my own writing,” Hannah comments, “Maybe because it means something to me. I don’t put in a character I don’t think I could ever meet in reality; every character has a good and bad side and I make sure to figure that out before putting them in the story. It’s not realistic otherwise… A perfect person doesn’t exist. And the reason I make them realistic is because if I make them interesting but realistic, the day I meet a person like this in reality … I will be very impressed.”

“As the solo artist Hannah you are always making headlines with music, song-writing, acting and publishing your own books. Because of that, do you ever think you do better outside 5 Pieces?”

This time she can’t help but to change her face-expression a little. “No. Not a chance,” she shakes her head, still staying polite, “I wouldn’t even sit here without 5 Pieces. How can you even ask such a question?” She says the last part as a joke and smiles when the media smiles or chuckles at her light response. Another man raises his hand.

“In this book you have written a dedication before the first chapter, and at the end of the book you have writing a special thanks letter. If I read a part out of the letter,” another man says and he is actually sitting there with the book and he reads out; “’To 5 Pieces, do I really need to say more than your name? I always thank you for everything, and again I thank you, this time for helping me to see the positivity in the negativity. You get it’. You also thank SNSD’s Seohyun and Seohyun in this letter.”

Hannah knows what she has written so she nods her head. She has thanked Kyung Ho too, for his curiosity that makes her feel on the top and she had ended the letter by writing ‘and special thanks to YOU, for reading ‘Joe – Déjà Vu’ because this is the last thing written in the whole book.

The man continues his question, “You are in the dedication of the book thanking each member in 5 Pieces; what made you write them two times and is the members of SNSD supporting you a lot about the book?”

“I had my members added two times because at first it is the dedication, which is dedicated to 5 Pieces and all the readers, and then in the end I also thank them,” Hannah answers, not understanding the question about 5 Pieces so she thinks it is just something he wanted to add rather than ask out straight about SNSD being mentioned in the book. Though in the book she doesn’t write ‘SNSD’ but because Jessica and Seohyun were mentioned together, it wasn’t really hard to understand they are from SNSD. “SNSD’s Jessica and Seohyun have been very … interested in ‘Joe’, wanting to help out and they have given me a lot of feedback and support as friends and readers. I have gotten a lot of support from the people around me so I’m thankful for their feedback.”

“Has SHINee’s Jonghyun read any of your books and what are his thoughts about them? He isn’t mentioned anywhere,” the man says and Hannah thinks her lips are stuck together at first when she hears her boyfriend’s name being mentioned. Manager Lee frowns; he hadn’t prepared for that question and he is surprised over Hannah’s calm reaction.

“Jonghyun has read the first book and he said it was good,” she answers very simple.

“Has he said something to you about the new book?”

Oh they are like vultures; the moment Jonghyun’s name came up everyone there got a different expression and as she is looking at them she saw it all happen. And since she answered the first question about it, more hands flies up in the air in hope to get her to talk about her boyfriend. Hannah is not new to media; they love tasty little scandals and information about everything that can give them money.

“He wished me good luck on the promotions,” Hannah nods, still very simple in her answer about Jonghyun and before any more questions about it can be said, Manager Lee raises his hand and asks the media to keep the questions about the book. The journalists are making their faces of disappointment but looks down on their papers to see the next questions to ask.

 

During the day, Hannah is doing interviews and book signings and she is in heaven. So much attention on her fantasy, on something she has written. She answers to random questions by fans during the book signings, smiling when seeing how dedicated her fans are. One has even coloured her hair pink based on a character in the first book. Fans surely impress her. During half of the interviews she is asked what she thinks about the response about the book and she is stunned about the response. It isn’t much about the media – media can be interested just because she is part of 5 Pieces – but fans know details about the first book, having questions and comments and they even remember quotes and whatnot that really makes Hannah just look at them as if they are crazy. She actually made fans laugh at the first book event when hearing people had been sleeping there over night to assure a place to the signing, and some fans quoted parts of the books that Hannah looked at them with an expressionless face, and fans laughed at how pure she was.

“What in life inspired you to write?” she was asked in one interview.

“I guess it is people… places, moments and things that happen. Probably everything inspires me to write actually.”

 

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline July 01st: Hannah’s Book Launch Midnight Event Welcomes 600 Fans

Headline 01st: Second Book Of The Thrilling Fantasy Novel ‘Joe’ Today Published In Korea With High Expectations

Headline 01st: 5 Pieces Top Album Sales In Korea & Japan For First Half Of 2013

Headline 01st: Idols Show Their Support To New Book ‘Joe – Déjà Vu’

Headline 01st: 5 Pieces’ Maria Announces Her Love On Instagram – Hannah’s Book

Headline 01st: Hannah Goes In Deeper Of Writing ‘Joe’ At Press-Conference

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

 

X. devonalias