Chapter 27

Youngest of Pieces: [WHO- I AM] (8)

 

After a flight that takes about two hours and twenty-five minutes, 5 Pieces arrives in Shanghai. Hannah hides behind sunglasses and a mask, trying to hide herself completely from the world and because they are constantly surrounded by people, none of the members get to talk much to each other. They head straight to the broadcast station where they will prepare for their variety show appearance, and also perform [Daze]. Already waiting for them there is the doctor. He is the one who has been taking care of Hannah for the past two years, coming to concerts at times to say she can’t perform but she ends up performing anyway and he will then give her some pills and help her to survive the schedule. In other words, he helps her a lot, though whenever he comes abroad after her to check on her he ends up saying she can’t perform but Hannah always ends up performing. Why? Because it is a few hours left before the concert so she can’t step down.

“Let’s see what we have here then,” he breathes out when showing Hannah inside a private room. “Where in your stomach does it hurt?”

It doesn’t take many minutes before he has set his diagnose, and the ladies that are waiting are looking at him with big eyes when he comes with Hannah inside the dressing-room they all are getting ready in. Though all ladies want to hear what he has to say, it is Manager Kim he steps up to talk to.

“She has gotten medicine, but what Hannah needs now is to eat. Working like this without eating is why she doesn’t have any energy and is so sleepy,” the doctor is saying.

“Does that mean she is or isn’t pregnant?” Julia wonders, standing next to the manager.

“Pregnant?” the doctor looks shocked. “No, she is just stomach sick. It is actually a miracle that no one else has gotten it the way you all keep working as if it’s nothing, but Hannah is definitely not pregnant.”

Hannah had gotten happy to hear the doctor say she has a stomach sickness, all her unnecessary worries gone. After all, it was Julia’s fault she got those thoughts to begin with. According to the doctor, after throwing up, your body need water or fluids to not dry out, and Hannah hadn’t been able to drink or eat because the worries in her stomach that it would go back up right away, so her body couldn’t handle the schedule and she hasn’t been able to get better because of that.

So even if they are preparing for a broadcast, Hannah sits down to eat. No matter what, she is told to finish the whole plate with the food they have ordered – everyone eats – and the food is really delicious too. Hannah gets to eat stir-fried beef with curry and rice, really delicious, but after not eating for a whole day and more, her stomach feels filled after just a few spoons. Lucky her, Carolina gladly helps her to eat when the others aren’t looking. But Hannah feels a lot better now when the doctor has helped her out; medicine, food, and to know she isn’t pregnant – it’s like she can live again.

Doing the variety show in Shanghai is actually fun, though Hannah isn’t in her best condition. Emelia and Julia gets to show off their Chinese, the audience is freaking loud so the MCs keeps mentioning that, and they play some games and laughs a lot because of the many mistakes they do. Hannah doesn’t smile or laugh as much as the others because she is still exhausted, but no one seems to notice how she hides behind the others most of the time.

 

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

 

Back in Japan, 5 Pieces continued with their arena tour practices right away. There were no middle landing in Korea, but 5 Pieces headed straight to Japan after being in Shanghai. On Monday the group focuses more to learn the song to one song, because tomorrow they will film the music video to it. Continuing with rough Japanese activities, there is no stop.

[You Said A Lie] is a dance pop track, just dancing from beginning to end without having any actual high notes or adlibs. Very Japanese-like, according to both the ladies and the crew, and it is a good song. They practice since early morning to midnight, making sure they know the new song so they can do well tomorrow but still not practicing for too long as they need to sleep and rest for the filming.

Hannah is feeling better now, though she still isn’t eating as much as she should. Her body has a habit of changing fast if she makes any changes in her daily routines, so now when she hasn’t been working for the past days (her time in Japan she hasn’t been going to the gym but more just running up and down the stairs and doing exercises at home, and the last days being sick she hasn’t done anything) and she isn’t eating much either because her stomach can’t seem to take it; her body seems to have gotten smaller. Though she keeps dancing when practicing, it doesn’t really do much on her. She even looses weight, she saw that when she stepped up on the scale that morning. It isn’t much, but she doesn’t really know what her weight was before she got sick.

The bad thing is that Emelia has gotten sick. Because she takes the medicine, Emelia does much better than Hannah did, so when coming home the sick person heads straight to bed. To not disturb Emelia’s sleep, Hannah sits down outside by the kitchen table with her laptop. The laptop is on and the girl is checking the recent headline about her book that came out today; the date of the book release has been confirmed to the world, and the comments on the article is great. Fans from all around the world (she seriously didn’t even know people from all these places knew the existence of the first book) have been writing that they can’t wait to continue reading. Some wants to read more about the gayness couple and others want to know more about the main character and so on. There were a few questions at the end of the first book that they want answers on.

“Ace~” Hannah quietly sings when the kitten is getting up after sleeping in the sofa.

The pets had been taken care of by their Japanese manager when 5 Pieces went away during the weekend, so yesterday when coming home Hannah had felt so great to be able to just lie down on the cold floor and cuddle with Ryo who had been one of the three pets happy to see the ladies again after one and a half day. It felt longer than just one and a half day, just because the girls did so much by going to Korea, Thailand, Philippines and China during that short period. Cuddling with all pets is the most relaxing thing for Hannah at the moment.

Ace calmly walks over to Hannah, letting her pick him up to have in her arms. Compared to when Ace was just a few weeks old when 5 Pieces first got him he has gotten a wild fur; it’s long and soft and he still has this white colour with darker ears and by his blue eyes. Really beautiful even now, and he is very calm. Always calm. Even on Emelia’s birthday, Ace just lied down on his back and stretched out, falling asleep in all the noise when SNSD was visiting.

While waiting to get the call, Hannah takes up the web-camera on her laptop, holding Ace cosily in her arms and taking pictures on her laptop of them together. She has no make-up but has the sweater up high by her neck, her hair simply lying down and Ace face is next to hers in the pictures so she tries to hide a little behind him. He has absolutely nothing against being on pictures, just enjoying the company of the girls. He likes to be nearby.

The best of the pictures she takes, Hannah uploads on twitter along with the text ‘things that reminds me of You’, and she means it reminds her of Puzzle because Ace was a gift from their fan-club. Because a lot of fans have been worrying about Hannah’s health after the weekend; seriously, there has been flooding in questions to ask if she is sick or if something has happened and so on, so to calm those hearts of her fans Hannah also simply writes that she was sick but is quickly recovering, also saying that Emelia got sick from her so she hopes the rapper will quickly recover too.

In the middle of writing the last part of her tweet, she receives a call online: A video call. Happily she accepts it, and on the screen pops up the face of SHINee’s Jonghyun, both of them smiling like two big fools. They had planned to video chat once their schedules had ended today, because Hannah said she miss him, he said he wants to see her and this was the conclusion to it. Hannah is still sitting with Ace in her arms, and she has to lower the volume to not wake someone up.

“Seriously? They agreed on it?” Hannah wonders after hearing what he has to say.

“Yeah!” Jonghyun confidently answers. “So you will come to the radio with me, we will talk and sing and that’s it. But they said we have to be careful. We need to decide what to say and how to avoid scandals, so if I say that I love your voice, you can’t like it too much.”

“You can’t say on broadcast that you love my voice!” Hannah laughs.

Jonghyun will be a guest on Super Junior’s ‘Kiss The Radio’, and because Hannah featured in a song of SHINee’s latest album, she will make an appearance too so they can perform the song together on the radio. How the agency could agree on it, Hannah has no idea. It is like they want to draw attention to the couple in hiding.

“But they will ask me why you of all female singers features in my song, and I must say something, right? And I do love your voice…”

“Lie then,” Hannah continues to laugh. Jonghyun is sitting super close to the camera so she has a close-up on his huge head, and she can’t really see anything else. “Say that I was the only one around to record and you could only record that day or something.”

He smiles at her and Hannah can’t do anything else but to laugh. All she can see is his head and that smile, and it is driving her crazy. They keep talking about it, Jonghyun making Hannah laugh at almost every sentence he says.

Maria comes out from her room to get some water, and she must of course make a big deal when hearing Jonghyun’s voice coming from Hannah’s laptop. First she must join in to talk to him, ask how it is in Korea and so on before she says she will go, but she wants to go with Ace so Jonghyun gets to laugh when seeing Hannah and Maria fight over the cat. Hannah wins in the end, having Maria say Ace will sleep with her anyway. It’s fun doing this in the middle of the night, and only when making sure Maria isn’t lurking around she continues to talk to Jonghyun.

Since they both have to sleep (Key is nagging on Jonghyun and Julia keeps popping out her head from her room to ask when Hannah is going to bed), they decide to continue another day.

 

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

 

Hannah points at the camera that a woman is holding on to. She remembers the woman from their previous PV filming.

“あなたが言った嘘/Anata ga itta uso,” Hannah says proudly to the camera-woman, giving a small smile before looking serious again and she repeats in English; “You said a lie.” She gives a nod, taking down her hand that has been pointing the whole time. “That is the name of the song we are filming. It sounds good, doesn’t it?”

The camera-woman nods.

“The concept is y today, isn’t it?” Hannah asks her in Japanese, meaning the outfit. For today’s promotional video filming compared to their [Run Out] PV filming, 5 Pieces doesn’t have as heavy make-up but the iness has gone up a little according to Hannah. She is wearing a pair of black elastic-waist ribbed pants to a pair of peep-toe chunky heel lace-up boots with an 11cm high heel and ily wearing a sheer lace top in black, and you can see just a little of her skin under it along with a black bra. Daring; and Hannah had been walking around with a blanket at first before they started with the dancing scenes and she got too warm for it. 2013 is the year of iness for 5 Pieces, and as said before; their Japanese activities start that off.

“What is today’s concept?” the woman wonders after glancing up and down the idol’s body with the camera.

“y revenge,” Hannah simply answers, continuing to sound proud. She ate salad for lunch, so she is in a great mood. “The song is about being lied to, and confidently giving a y revenge when not liking the lies. … … Did you understand that? The revenge … I have no idea of what the revenge is other than the song… But it is a great song, so please listen to it.”

Hannah feels a little bad for her horrible explanation, but she guess hers is better than the other members because they wouldn’t be able to say as much in Japanese.

“Now, we are filming the dance,” Hannah continues to talk anyway, turning around to show the plain background in gray-white with lights shining up the place. “It is really hot standing there, especially when we are dancing. But the director showed us how it looks on camera, and it looks really good.”

She does the thumbs up at the end so even if loud music starts to play at the end so the camera can’t catch everything she says, you still understand what she is saying. Hannah gives a laugh when the music starts to play, interrupting her talking and she finds that as a sign to leave.

The music video is actually very simple. 5 Pieces is filming the dance during the first day at two different sets and also a solo scene, and then tomorrow they will do the solo shots. But today when doing the dance scenes, it isn’t that easy.

5 Pieces had a day to learn the new dance, and the woman filming behind-the-scenes captures several mistakes during filming. Towards the end of the song, the chorus is repeated three times, and Hannah actually makes the mistake to forget there are three so when the second chorus is done she begins with the next steps, which is the wrong step. Several of times the girls forgets their positions, walking in each other when getting the wrong position, or taking a step back when you are supposed to take the front line and at times it is just a complete mess.

Between the filming the girls are entertaining the camera (Maria is trying to show off every new word she has been learning, especially words she thinks are cool so she tries to say them in a cool way; Carolina is trying to teach Korean and Swedish to the Japanese viewers; Emelia is talking about how sick she is – she has gotten better, but she doesn’t say that – and Julia only appears if she has to, so she tries to teach the dance with not much talking), they are entertaining their pets too that they couldn’t leave alone at the apartment but instead took with them, and also going through the dance between the filming.

During dinner, before eating, Hannah takes a picture of herself with her cell phone dressed in the lace top, sending the picture to Jonghyun with the text that she is filming. In the middle of eating he sends a response with a picture of himself and writes that he isn’t as y as her now when he is drooling; then he sends another text to ask if she isn’t supposed to wear something under. She grimaces with a smile and writes that this is the new concept of 5 Pieces.

It takes time until he responses, maybe because he also is busy, but he writes that he doesn’t like it (“it’s too revealing” he wrote). Hannah ignores that, not wanting to be put in a bad mood, instead she goes over to play with the puppies. It’s easy to play with them; you just need something they can follow. Hannah takes a toy they had brought along to the filming for them, and she moves her hand up so Michin jumps, lets him run around on the floor.

“Molly and Agnes are coming for our Tokyo concert,” Maria is telling them all. “They will first go to Seoul, because I gave them tickets to Super Junior’s concert that we can go to – which, by the way, Siwon promised to keep an eye on them and make sure Eunhyuk and everyone else keep a distance from them – and after that they will spend a few days on Tokyo.”

“Will they live with us?” Carolina wonders.

“Of course not! You think anyone would survive that?”

Molly and Agnes are Maria’s older sisters. Molly is two years older than the ladies, and also the one Hannah spent some time with when she went to Sweden by herself back in December. Maria’s whole family is social and easy to get along with, and Maria’s sisters had promised to come visit Maria and the ladies soon for vacation. And when hearing about 5 Pieces’ first arena tour, Molly told Maria that they will come to it, and of course Maria couldn’t help but to get them tickets to Super Junior’s SS5 concert that is the week before. Both of Maria’s sisters liked k-pop before 5 Pieces, and are the reason 5 Pieces got into it, and though the sisters doesn’t listen much to k-pop these days or knows much about the groups debuting for the past few years, they are still big fans of Super Junior and earlier groups.

“I’ll show off our puppies to them. Molly loves Ace already, so we need to keep an eye on her bags so she doesn’t try to kidnap my baby Ace,” Maria keeps talking.

Hannah smiles at Maria’s baby talk about their kitten while the youngest member is playing around. Ryo comes running up to them to play too, the two puppies and Hannah and when Julia is done eating she joins in too before they have to film again.

 

After finishing the day’s filming, Hannah video chats with Jonghyun again at the apartment. This time it isn’t so late so they actually practices the song they will perform at the radio tomorrow; which happens after Hannah has to explain it isn’t a revealing outfit she had at the video filming today. She tries to change the subject quickly, but Jonghyun isn’t happy either way.

Day two filming for [You Said A Lie] is of the solo scenes. It could be called that, but it is actually also and mostly filmed for 5 Pieces’ arena tour video. During the concert there will be short videos that will make 5 Pieces get time to change backstage, and there is one part of the concert they will be calling ‘Emotional Girls’ that they are filming today.

The Arena Tour has a concept of ‘Girls’; because 5 Pieces have a track in their album called [Bad Girls] that will be the opening/intro song, each segment of the concert has something to do with ‘Girls’. The solo act for the members will be called ‘Five Girls’ and the sixth/last act will be called ‘Girl Crush’. It is just to fit the songs they will perform for that act.

‘Emotional Girls’ will be calming and beautiful, natural but still dreamy. It is for the ballad performances, so the introduction video for that will have a nice music piece and silent video of 5 Pieces. Each member films her own part since morning. Emelia gets to film in bed; white all around her and dressed in a white pyjamas, she looks really beautiful and calm for that part and they film her turning around, just lying there, slowly getting up, her just sitting on the bed, and they also films their puppy Ryo walking on the puffy bed and waking her up and it really looks good on camera with the camera focus and unfocused and it gets just as great for each member.

Hannah is in the living-room. They have visited a house to film in, light beige walls with wood furniture (bookshelf, table, a chair by the window), a high plant and so on. It is very simple and spacious and Hannah is wearing the same black outfit she wore yesterday – lace top and fitting pants. Her hair is long and wavy mixed with the colours blonde and dark brown/black, her body beautiful and not having the heavy make-up makes her look younger. It fits well. She doesn’t wear the same heels as yesterday though; a pair of lace-up wedge heels in black. Hannah poses and moves carefully around in the living-room. She leans her back against the window while they are filming, turning around slowly and leans towards the window while leaning her hands on the windowsill… The director tells her quietly what to do; they can talk because no audio will be heard in the video anyway. The camera keeps moving with her, coming up closer or stepping back to film differently and the director tells Hannah when to slowly turn to look right in the camera when the camera is up close next to her face. A close-up on her eyes

Hannah squats down to laugh when the director suggests her to take off her shoes. She isn’t wearing any socks in them, but she still takes off her shoes. Playing by her self in front of the camera, Hannah holds the shoes in the lacing with one hand, and she starts to balance with her hand in the air and pretends to be walking on a rope on the floor or something to walk on a line because the director says that looks good. She walks around a little with the shoes going back and forth and she holds them over her shoulder with a pose and she ends up leaning over the waist-high bookshelf by the wall with the shoes in her hands, just looking to be in deep thoughts while on the lacing.

Being planned, the English cocker spaniel Michin makes his entrance. He walks by the sofa; the camera has stepped back as much as possible from Hannah to shoot the whole room and captures the puppy sniffing on the floor when walking by the tiny living-room table standing in front of the long sofa. Hannah keeps still where she is standing, as if she is looking out the window, only moving when being told to. The director is having a blast, because even if the puppy can’t really do what you ask him to, he does extremely well by just walking across the room.

The girl turns around, taking two steps forward with the camera coming up closer to her now. One knee goes up on the sofa, and simply she crawls forward to lie down on it. Michin hurries back to the other end of the sofa, happy over the movement, and Hannah lightly taps the sofa for him to jump up. A puppy who knows the rules; only when getting a sign he is allowed up in the sofa. They have taught him well. Hannah is lying on her stomach, resting her chin on her arm and she smiles at the puppy getting up in front of her, playing with her other hand.

“Good, good!” the director is saying in Japanese, repeating it once more when Hannah lightly plays with the puppy so Michin rolls around to lie on his back, having Hannah massaging his stomach. The camera keeps getting up close, stepping back, then coming up close again. The director tells them to stay like that, having Hannah’s feet move up and down and playing lightly with the puppy while the camera takes the shot from different angles.

“Can you make him sit?” a voice asks in Japanese from the side.

Hannah moves her hand; Michin standing up. “Sit,” she simply tells him, using Korean as he doesn’t understand Japanese, and because she moves her hand too, the puppy sits down with his eyes on her hand, waiting for candy probably. “Good boy!” Hannah cheers in a low voice, patting him on the head with a smile and his tail keeps moving at the back.

“Good!” the director cheers too, more because it looks good on camera rather than the puppy did as he was told.

“I think he is aware of the cameras,” Hannah is joking in Japanese, looking up at the cameras filming them both for the video and for the behind-the-scenes. “I usually have to tell him a few times before he sits. Carolina tried to make him sit once, but she sat down to show him how to sit and he just walked away… She isn’t good to handle dogs.”

“What are you saying about me?” Carolina asks in Korean, as she definitely heard her name. She is waiting around the corner to film her part in the kitchen later, and she heard her name while sneaking around peeking at Hannah filming.

Hannah just smiles and rolls around to lie on her back on the director’s command.

 

When Hannah is done filming, she changes into her own clothes and gets to eat a little while Carolina is going to start her filming.

“Are you coming back after the radio?” Maria wonders, sitting in the dressing-room and yawning when seeing Hannah coming out from the bathroom in her own clothes.

“I’m…” Hannah starts to answer and gives a wondering look at their manager. “I think I’ll be coming back tomorrow morning. Because I’ll be going to the gym after the radio visit, so there won’t be any flights at that time.”

Maria starts to smile tiredly when Hannah mentions the gym. When the managers had started to ask Hannah if she would want to hurry back in the morning or right after the radio, Hannah had shined up when coming up with the idea of that she maybe could go to the gym – and they decided for her to come back in the morning. Hannah is longing for the gym; she has called the trainer to ask if he can be tough with her when she comes by later, let her train some boxing and so. She thinks she needs it. Hannah has changed to wear a gray round-neck t-shirt and black distressed denim shorts with a pair of leggings under; different bracelets around her wrists makes it look cool and nice sneakers. Maria looks so proud seeing Hannah in that outfit, mostly because she was the one forcing Hannah to wear it today as the outfit for the radio. Maria loves clothes.

“Can you sleep alone in the apartment?” Maria wonders. She doesn’t like the idea of having Hannah in another country on her own. It was the same when Hannah went to Sweden in December – how is she doing on her own? Is she eating? Does she need a shoulder to lean on? – Maria hates to have one of her friends being alone, but even if she asks that question with a worried voice, Hannah just smiles.

“I think I can handle it.”

Hannah is actually looking forward to spend the night alone at the apartment she is feeling home in. Of course it is fun living in Japan, but it would be nice to just relax without being surrounded by people. She is looking forward to be alone for a while; which also can be why she is in a good mood today.

“Can you buy some of those yummy chips on the way back?” Maria cutely asks next. “I miss them.”

Their manager shakes his head at Hannah though, but Maria is nodding and the youngest is smiling. The moment the manager steps away, Maria is giving Hannah signs that say ‘you will get them, right? OK!’ Hannah will try to get inside a supermarket to get those chips for their leader, but she thinks the manager will not approve that.

Hannah sits down on her heels by the sofa Maria is sitting and half-sleeping on, and she cuddles a little with Ace lying on a blanket there.

“Hannah, we should go now,” Manager Lee says when coming inside the room.

The girl gets up, waving and saying her goodbyes to everyone and picking up her jacket and her black faux-leather pocket-detail satchel bag before heading out the room to thank the staff and director for their hard work and do the usual Japanese phrases she has been taught to say.

And then, she heads to Korea.

 

Coming to Seoul, Hannah heads straight to the radio. It has already started when she comes, but she isn’t either one of the main guests so she isn’t supposed to come before it starts. Hannah is sitting outside the recording booth, and she waves and bows happily when hearing Super Junior’s Ryeowook mentions on the radio that she has arrived. A few minutes later when the commercial comes, Hannah steps inside the booth to greet DJ Ryeowook, SHINee’s Jonghyun and two other guests that Hannah isn’t familiar with: one of them is a pianist and the other one is a guitarist. Hannah greets all of them kindly, smiling and being polite when taking a seat next to Jonghyun. It is a small chatting during the commercial and Hannah is told about what she needs to know.

“As we said before commercial, sitting now here with us is the talented and very busy young Hannah from 5 Pieces,” Ryeowook introduces her and Hannah is nervously smiling widely.

“Hello everyone, I am 5 Pieces’ Hannah,” she greets the listeners kindly.

“Ever since our listeners found out that Hannah would be a guest on tonight’s show, we have been getting comments and a lot of questions from many fans of 5 Pieces. Like one question constantly repeating is; what is 5 Pieces up do these days?”

“Right now we are busy preparing for our Japan Arena Tour and our first Japanese album is being released on March 21st,” Hannah is telling happily, “we are practicing like crazy but it is really fun.”

“So … some comments are asking what Hannah is doing in Korea; how come you are a guest on ‘Kiss the Radio’ in the middle of this hectic practices in Japan?” Ryeowook is asking and he actually turns to Jonghyun. “SHINee’s Jonghyun should be able to answer that question.”

It’s for fun, so the others are laughing at Ryeowook’s joke.

“Jonghyun asked me to come so we could sing a song together,” Hannah is still the one answering, “And because I miss ‘Kiss the Radio’ I decided to agree on it.”

Ryeowook is smiling for a few seconds without saying anything, but then says to all the listeners why he did that – he needed to take in that THE 5 Pieces’ Hannah said that about the radio he is a DJ for. He is overdoing it, Hannah knows, but she still says that this radio is her favourite radio to listen to; whenever they now listen to radio, but that last part she doesn’t say. Ryeowook ends up reaching over Jonghyun with his hand raised to get a high-five from her, happy over her positive words. Hannah keeps smiling, completely out of her head nervous to be on radio without her members and with Jonghyun. Oh lord, her mind is really going crazy. She keeps thinking of not looking at him and has absolutely no idea of what people are saying around her; okay, a little idea she has because she knows what to answer.

“SHINee’s latest album… Hannah is here because she featured in one of the songs, but what do you think of the album?” Ryeowook challenges her next.

“I like it,” Hannah brightly answers.

“Which song is your favourite?” Jonghyun is fast to ask.

If Hannah had been asked that question by him if they were in private, she would get upset and whine or something because Jonghyun seems very addicted to know what song in SHINee’s album is her favourite. But they are on radio and Hannah smiles when getting the question, looking at Jonghyun with annoyed eyes (behind her smile) which he sees so he smiles wider, interested in her answer.

“I like all songs,” she answers but no one in that room likes that answer and she laughs when they all wants a better answer from her. “I really, really like all of the songs,” she continues, “They are really good!”

“Just one, say just one,” Ryeowook laughs.

“It’s not my fault that my seniors have such great songs, okay?” Hannah complains, “I can’t decide just one song, they are all really good!”

“Fine, fine, fine,” Ryeowook ends trying to get a different answer from her, still thinking Hannah’s answer was good; she handled that well. “We can see on the comment board that fans are all curious about the duet between Jonghyun and Hannah. Could you tell us about the song [It’s OK]?”

“To tell you about [It’s OK], I have to tell you about [Get Your Kiss],” Jonghyun starts off and he holds out his hands as if he is warming up, smiling and looking like he is getting ready.

“Then begin from scratch. Some people might not even know [Get Your Kiss] because it was never officially released,” Ryeowook is saying like a notebook. “So tell everything.”

“The song [Get Your Kiss]… was for SHINee’s concert last year. While I was in the recording studio, we tried to come up with who would take the female part, a y singer, and I asked Hannah because … everyone else was busy that day,” Jonghyun says and he gives a sudden laugh at the last part, which makes the others laugh too. Hannah laughs behind her hand, completely shy. “I snatched her from practice and made her record the song with me. While that song was a y love song, [It’s OK] is a soft love song.”

“And why did you sing that with Hannah too?”

“Because it was ‘part two’ of our first duet, it would be the best to have the same female vocalist as it was in ‘part one’,” Jonghyun is well explaining and Hannah finds herself nodding lightly. “And it turned out well, didn’t it?”

“It turned out really great! Jonghyun even produced both songs; what was it to record the song then? How was the process?”

Hannah looks at Jonghyun who looks at her, and she tells him to answer, though she doesn’t really know if the words coming out are real words or even makes sense but because she moves her hand to tell him to answer she guess he understands because he does answer.

“It went pretty fast. Hannah came to record only once for each song, which was amazing, and it went well both times…” Jonghyun answers and he speaks slower at the end as he doesn’t really know what more to say so she looks at Hannah for her to fill out, but the moment their eyes meet she is just looking at him. She has never been this nervous on radio before.

“I- I think the process was fast. Jonghyun’s eyes were on fire when we were recording, stopping in the middle to tell me to re-do the part a little differently,” Hannah reveals, clearing when looking at Ryeowook sitting further away on Jonghyun’s other side.

“Strict?” Ryeowook asks, not sure if Hannah didn’t know what Korean word to use.

“Not strict, just professional,” Hannah corrects and she smiles when Jonghyun thanks her and takes out his hand; a sort of hand-shake/high-five. He liked that she called him professional.

“Then what were Hannah’s first thoughts when you heard the two songs?” the male guitarist wonders.

“Um… The first time I heard [Get Your Kiss], I was unsure if I could handle that kind of singing that Jonghyun wanted me to do-”

“She did much better than I expected,” Jonghyun quietly but confidently fills in.

“-but I liked both songs a lot when I first heard them,” Hannah finishes.

“You actually worried if you could handle that kind of singing?” Ryeowook laughs.

“I was! Jonghyun is a really great singer and it put me in a lot of pressure when being asked to sing the song with him,” Hannah honestly answers.

“But you did so well,” Ryeowook still can’t see the insecurity.

Hannah thanks them still for their words when telling her that she did really well, and she lowers her head shyly when they change the subject to talk a little about the other guests. Jonghyun had glanced at her and smiled softly, knowing she is so bad at receiving praise. When she looks up and reaches her hand out in front of him he is so close to actually take it in his hand (he is lost in other thoughts when seeing her hand reaching out towards him), but Hannah quietly asks for the bottle of water that is untouched on his side and Jonghyun is fast to react by giving it to her. She does her best to listen to what is said among the others while she tries to quietly drink some water. Hannah is about to reach over Jonghyun to put it back but hesitates, wondering if she can put it on her side so she can drink from it later without disturbing anyone, but just as she hesitates, Jonghyun brings up his hand and takes the bottom of the bottle in his hand to take it from her. Just in that moment, when he takes back the bottle, Hannah thinks being natural is the best way to survive this radio broadcast. Just thinking of how to behave will just make her nervous and obvious, so being natural will probably be better because her fans (her fans at least) knows that she is close to some other idols – just like they have calmed down about her and FT Island’s Honggi being close friends.

“We just talked about SHINee’s Jonghyun and 5 Pieces’ Hannah collaborating for a song in SHINee’s album, and to follow up on that … we will now hear a live performance of the song,” Ryeowook says while watching Hannah and Jonghyun get up to prepare.

He keeps talking a little with the other two guests about the duet while Hannah gets up behind the first microphone stand, grabbing a hold on the karaoke-looking microphone and moving it a little more back to keep a distance from the others. Jonghyun smiles when seeing that, and he on purpose stands a little on the side of his microphone stand to be able to look more her way. Hannah is too busy putting the headphones correctly, looking much focused, to notice that Jonghyun is talking with the others. She is so nervous! She keeps changing the weight from foot to foot, glancing up innocently just to make sure she isn’t completely lost in thoughts. She leans away to clear too, and close after; Ryeowook is introducing the song in a soft voice;

“The song is [It’s OK (괜찮아요)] by SHINee’s Jonghyun featuring 5 Pieces’ Hannah.”

The ballad starts to play, and Hannah is smiling lightly when feeling how the butterflies are bursting in her stomach. She loves the feeling; it’s when you get up on stage to perform a new song with the audience chanting wildly, because you go up on stage while knowing you like the song just as much as them. For some reason she just loves the idea of singing the song live on radio with Jonghyun; that the agency lets them do it is still making her wonder what is going on. Jonghyun starts off the song, an adlib with his low unique yet high voice, and Hannah does an adlib right after him, a little more in the background.

[Jonghyun] *Ooh… ([Hannah] mm…)*

 

[Jonghyun] *I hate walking away from you

A part of myself staying behind

The you not walking next to me,

I hate the feeling*

Jonghyun’s voice is soft when he sings, always having his unique sound in it that makes Hannah just space out. She loves his voice. She doesn’t dare to glance at him, worried she might not be able to look away; but she still can see from the corner of her eyes how he is singing with his eyes closed. At least the first verse, the soft first verse: The song is beautiful, each word sung out long and Jonghyun sings it exactly like he recorded it.

The next part he sings in an easier way, like each line ends with a sigh, a beautiful sigh. And for the chorus his voice goes up higher, still beautiful but showing more offs his vocal skills and he sings out the ‘~’ long and straight.

*But it’s OK

When I can see you again,

Everything, it’s OK*

 

{CHORUS} *Today oh~

Today I feel like crying

I tell you my thoughts when we meet

How I feel, how I’m doing

Today oh, oh~

Today I feel like smiling*

The part after the chorus is one of Jonghyun’s many favourite parts of the song. He can’t help but to look at Hannah when singing his simple word in a sweet voice, and Hannah smiles because she sees how he looks at her, but she still manages to sing her part. It is like a tease if you don’t know she is signing in the song, like preparing the listeners that her part is coming. But Jonghyun continues to sing a little more, keeping the wait for 5 Pieces’ fans.

*Honey…

[Hannah] Love me*

 

[Jonghyun] *The moment you smile to me,

Ah, I can only sigh*

 

[Hannah] *Love me,

I have stupidly fallen in love,

A part of me staying with you

The you always following

I love the feeling*

It’s Hannah’s turn to close her eyes. After Jonghyun’s part, Hannah started to sing without really knowing where to look. She glanced at Jonghyun, but he just makes her smile so she looked the other direction, keeping her eyes low. Fans of hers know she is shy, because Hannah has once even been facing the wall while singing at the radio because she couldn’t stop smiling when seeing the people in the room looking at her. It’s different from when you are on stage, as if you are randomly performing in front of friends or strangers in a room. Singing now, she is singing slowly and sweetly, her shoulders going up to her ears when the soft tone is going a little higher and she closes her eyes lightly when singing longer on some tones. She can imagine how viewers would see them; the duet that could not be still. Jonghyun keeps stamping from feet to feet, but he moves his body back and forth more than what Hannah does; Hannah is more the person who doesn’t know where to keep her hands. She holds on to the end of her shirt once, then holds on to the microphone with both hands to then hold it with just one hand…

Just like Jonghyun did, Hannah sings the next part softly. She does it a little higher and focused, preparing for the chorus, but the absolutely last line before the chorus she sings it softer than the other parts with a sigh at the end.

*So it’s OK

When I can see you again,

Everything, it’s OK*

 

{CHORUS, Both} *Today oh~

Today I feel like crying

I tell you my thoughts when we meet

How I feel, how I’m doing

Today oh, oh~

Today I feel like smiling*

The chorus is sung higher than the first time, maybe also because both of them sing it this time instead of just Jonghyun, but it is still this soft and powerful ballad. Hannah has to use a lighter voice to stand out – just as it is in the song – so she leans away a little from the microphone to not be heard too much because she has to sing higher to get lighter.

[It’s OK] was written when Jonghyun was in Japan. It was just the idea of the lyrics he wrote, but the reason he HAD to have Hannah as the female vocalist is because the song is about the two of them. It feels like that for him. When they are apart he keeps wondering about her, but then when they meet it all feels okay. It’s like a way for him to tell Hannah how much he loves her, how she makes everything okay, and to secretly tell the world the same too even if they don’t know it.

[Hannah] *The moment you glance at me

I worry, oh, oh, oh!*

 

*I spend each day waiting,

Looking at the picture of you ([Jonghyun] and me)

I, I, I~ ([Jonghyun] I, I, I~)

Oh~ ([Jonghyun] Oh~), OH!

I am in love~*

After all the high notes they have done now, mixing their voices and singing greatly together, it goes lower when Jonghyun sings the next part. They are both more relaxed by now, and Hannah can glance at him without feeling she will start smiling so much she can’t sing; she does smile when they sing together ‘everything, it’s OK’ while looking at each other, and she continues to sing, all into the song and emotion without caring of what the viewers of the radio as well as listeners might think. They are singers, of course they need to do it with emotion and as they recorded the song.

[Jonghyun] *So it’s OK

When I can see you, when I can see you

[Both] Everything, it’s OK*

 

[Hannah] *I have stupidly fallen in love

The you waiting for me return

[Jonghyun] It’s OK

[Both] Sweet love, first love*

 

[Jonghyun] *I spend each day waiting,

Looking at the picture of you ([Hannah] and me)

I, I, I~ ([Hannah] I, I, I~)

Oh~ ([Hannah] Oh~), OH!

I am in love~*

Highlight overload, with both Hannah and Jonghyun singing adlibs and loudly and though it is explained ‘loudly’ it is great. It is the high ending of the song, where it sounds like they are trying to overlap each other with their voices. Jonghyun’s unique voice with Hannah’s is actually a better mix than what Hannah was worried about. Her foreign sound along with his special sound can easily be too much to listen to, but they actually sound good singing together. And the others in the room seem to have had the best time listening to them.

[Both] *Oh~ Oh~~

When I can see you~

Everything, it’s OK (it’s OK!)

It’s OK*

 

[Jonghyun] *(I love you)*

 

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Headline 10th: Maria Updates Instagram, Reveals 5 Pieces Back In Practice Room After Spending The Day In Shanghai

Headline 10th: 5 Pieces’ Hannah Worries Fans With Her Recent Behaviour During The Weekend’s Schedules

 

Headline 11th: Best 5 Book of the Week Number 2 Is Still ‘Joe – Under Seoul’s Streets’

Headline 11th: Second Book Of ‘Joe – Under Seoul’s Streets’ Confirmed To Be Released July 1st This Year

Headline 11th: Hannah Updates Picture Of Herself On Twitter To Assure Fans She Is Feeling Better

 

Headline 12th: 5 Pieces Hannah’s Book Date Release Confirmation Causes A Craze Worldwide

 

Headline 13th: 5 Pieces Counts Down D-15 For Japan Arena Tour Along With Fans

Headline 13th: 5 Pieces’ Hannah Makes A Surprise Visit On ‘Kiss The Radio’

Headline 13th: SHINee’s Jonghyun & 5 Pieces’ Hannah Sings [It’s OK] & Talks About Their Collaboration

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

 

X. devonalias