The Beginning

Two Soul Mates?!

 

            “I think this person will be good for Sunggyu. He’ll take care of him and will always be by his side,” Hoya explained to Sungjong.

            Sungjong raised his hand in front of him on the table. A clear file of Myungsoo’s personality showed up. It told him everything about Myungsoo and how his life will be when it begins ten years from now. Sungjong nodded, “I agree. I believe that Sunggyu needs someone like this by his side.”

            Dongwoo came running into the room.

            “No way!!”

            Both Sungjong and Hoya turned their heads to look at the intruder.

            Dongwoo put his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. He walked over and took a seat on the other side of Sungjong.

            “I found someone much better for Sunggyu. Look,” he tapped Myungsoo’s file back and brought up another file, “this is Nam Woohyun. If he and Sunggyu were together, there wouldn’t be any more conflict with the two companies. They could both live in peace. Woohyun and Sunggyu could both support each other.”

            Dongwoo moved aside for Sungjong so he could look at Woohyun’s file. As Sungjong’s fingers clicked and slid across Woohyun’s file, Dongwoo looked at him with hopeful eyes. Soul mates were very important in the upper world of Woolim. If an angel picked the right one, they would get promoted to get wings. He looked toward Hoya and glared. Hoya sneered at him. He didn’t think Woohyun was good for Sunggyu at all. He was too harsh; Sunggyu was supposed to be sensitive. Woohyun could break Sunggyu’s heart in a second.

            Sungjong closed Woohyun’s file and stood up. He turned to look at both Hoya and Dongwoo. He understood why the two of them were trying to find the perfect soul mate for Sunggyu. On Earth, he was going to be very important- he was going to be the heir to one of the most successful corporations ever in history. He was talked about all over Woolim. However, not many angels came to Sungjong with a soul mate for Sunggyu. They were too scared; most decisions were made by angels that already had wings. Hoya and Dongwoo were just too anxious to get them. Sungjong sighed as the two bickered and argued about who was better for Sunggyu. Hoya and Dongwoo used to be the best of friends.

            Sungjong thought back at the two soul mates that had been picked for Sunggyu. He thought both were good for Sunggyu. Picking Myungsoo would give the poor more hope and love, eventually causing everyone to become middle class or higher; picking Woohyun could bring balance to all of the top corporations, bringing a money and supply surplus to the entire world. He cleared his throat, stopping Hoya and Dongwoo’s little argument. They both looked at him with hope in their eyes.

            He turned around and started walking to the life center of Woolim. He picked up some files and sent them to the fate watchers. Hoya and Dongwoo followed him, hoping that the file Sungjong had sent along with Sunggyu’s was the one that they had picked.

            Sungjong had originally thought of Myungsoo for Sunggyu. He sent Myungsoo’s in as well as Sunggyu’s. However, Dongwoo had convinced him that Woohyun was a good choice too. He also sent Woohyun’s file to the fate watchers. He wanted Hoya and Dongwoo’s bickering to stop and he couldn’t choose between the two choices they had picked for Sunggyu. He decided to let the higher angels decide. He spun around and looked at the still arguing pair. He looked at the two of them. “I’m going to let the fates decide.”

            Dongwoo and Hoya’s eyes widened. They looked at each other and immediately ran to the other side of the life center, wanting to see the results go on the big screen as the decisions made by the fate watchers always did. They stood next to each other in front of the screen, waiting for Sunggyu’s name to go on screen.

            The life center quickly became crowded. A bell had alarmed all the angels that Sunggyu’s file was sent to the fate watchers. The pair heard footsteps behind them and found Sungjong walking towards them; he must be as interested in the results as everyone else was. Hoya and Dongwoo stiffened up as Sunggyu’s future picture showed up on the screen. They both crossed their fingers and closed their eyes, waiting for the wings the both thought were coming to sprout.

            They heard loud murmurs and soft whispers and they both knew the choice was made. Hoya opened his eyes first. Myungsoo was on there!! His heart was suddenly filled with joy. He felt like he could have flown without wings at that moment.

            He turned to gloat in Dongwoo’s face when he found everyone with a weird look on their faces. He rose an eyebrow in confusion- what was so strange about the result? He won; his wings would be sprouting any minute now. Dongwoo looked at him and pointed at the screen. Hoya turned back around- maybe he had missed something.

            The smug smile on his face was disappeared as he turned around. There was Myungsoo’s picture, right next to Sunggyu’s. However, instead of only two pictures on the screen, there were three. Woohyun’s picture was on the other side of Sunggyu’s.

            All of the angels turned to look for Sungjong- maybe he would know what had happened. But Sungjong’s face was in as much astonishment as everyone else. He breathed out the unbelievable words that everyone was waiting for:

            “Sunggyu will have two soul mates.”