44th :)))

Just Like A Puzzle, You Confuse Me.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

44th Piece of the Puzzle

 

 

“Tiffany. She really loves you.”

 

 

Taeyeon couldn’t speak after hearing what her mom told her. ‘Does she know?’

 

She didn’t have to hide anymore. Everything seemed to have fallen into their rightful places. She managed to smile, though anxiety still overpowered her current state.

 

“Are you waiting for her?” Her mom asked.

 

Taeyeon bit her lip and smiled awkwardly.

 

“She’s actually waiting for you, too.”

 

Taeyeon’s heart was suddenly beating in a faster rate. All the while, she thought that Tiffany had forgotten about her birthday, or just prioritized her client more. She should’ve known that Tiffany wasn’t that kind of person. “Where is she?”

 

“At the rooftop,” Sooyoung blurted out while eating a slice of pepperoni. “I told her not to sleep there but I realized that I was talking to a lawyer. I couldn’t win over her stubbornness!”

 

“She stayed there all night!?” Jiwoong asked with a surprised look. He then fixed his gaze on his prey-the last slice of pepperoni. Unknown to him, someone had been staring at the last slice too.

 

“Yes! I wonder what she looks like right now. She probably has millions of mosquito bites.”

Sooyoung grabbed hold of her fork as she prepared herself to get the last slice. Just when she was about to get it, Jiwoong already took it using his bare hands.

 

“YAH! That’s supposed to be mine!”

 

“Oh really?” He the tip of the slice before munching a bite. “Sorry.”

He chuckled at the sight of a pouting shikshin. “You’re a lady! You should give way to your starving oppa!”

 

“Excuses, excuses!” Sooyoung shook her head and turned to face Taeyeon. “She even contacted all your friends for the past weekends! Aigoo, that Fany!”

 

 

“Oh, the things that love can do.” Hayeon said with dreamy eyes.

 

Taeyeon tried to remember the past few weeks. Tiffany had cancelled their dates twice in a row.

Now she knew why. ‘Why didn’t I realize it sooner?’

 

She immediately stood up after wiping her lips with a table napkin. “Thanks for being with me today.” She looked at each of them with a sincere smile. “This has got to be my most memorable birthday.”

 

 

“SPEECH! SPEECH!” Sooyoung while continuously hitting the glass with a spoon. “Wuhoo!”

 

“I am so grateful to have you guys in my life.” Taeyeon continued. “But how come no one even knows my real age?” She heaved out a deep sigh. “Like seriously?”

 

All her family members suppressed their smiles, trying to hold back their outburst of laughter.

 

Sooyoung huffed out loud. “All along I thought you’re just a dork. Now I realize you’re also dum-“

Jiwoong cut her off by giving her the last bite of his pizza, sending her a signal to just shut up.

 

 

“Du- DAZZLING!” Sooyoung laughed at her own silliness. “Aren’t you so gorgeous today, Taengoo!?”

 

Taeyeon lifted her right eyebrow. “What’s up with you two today?”

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon rushed to the elevator, leaving her family and Sooyoung in her condo unit. She was feeling anxious, in a good way. Some of the passengers were stealing glances at her.

Who wouldn’t?

She was wearing a sparkling blue dress that Sooyoung had forced her to wear.

 

The elevator doors at the rooftop opened, revealing a completely different ambience from what she was used to seeing everytime she went there.

 

She walked along the empty space and realized that she just stepped on a stone. She looked down and noticed that a group of stones were all lined up to form the shape of a ‘key.’ Underneath the stones, lay three folded letters.

 

She unfolded the first letter and read:

 

[Dear Kim Dork,

 

Happy 22nd birthday! <3

You know the best thing about birthdays? You get to be special at least once a year. You get to receive presents from the people closest to your heart. And you get to be treated nicely by the people around you. (Btw, Sooyoung not included)

Today’s supposedly the first time we’re celebrating your birthday as a couple, not just as best friends. But here I am, using my spare time to write a simple greeting. How I wish I were there. :( School has been stressing me out lately. The law books I’m currently reading make my nose bleed furiously.

But I want you to know that there was never a day that I hadn’t thought about you. I miss you, Taetae. And I’m sorry for leaving you. If you only knew how much I wanted to fly back to Seoul.

 

P.S. I hope someday you’ll be able to read this. I miss you so much! :(

 

Much love,

Mushroom]

 

Taeyeon's tears were starting to fall down her cheeks.

She remembered her 22nd birthday and how she refused to celebrate it because there was no reason to be happy. She looked back at the time when she tried to call Tiffany on the phone but then realized that they didn’t have each other’s contact numbers.

How she wished it didn't hurt so bad. But it did. She missed Tiffany so bad.

 

 

 

 

 

She then read the second letter:

 

[Dear Taetae,

 

Happy 23rd birthday!

You remember when we were younger; we would always imagine what we’d be like when we turn 23? They say it’s the age when wom

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter