Chapter 48

Sehun is my...what?!

SEHUN'S POV

"What do you mean the video wasn't mirrored?!" Chanshi bellowed at her brother.

"I didn't notice!" Chanyeol defended.

"No wonder you keep doing it the other way," commented Taemin disapprovingly, "besides, whose idea was it that you practice separately?"

"It was my idea. Please don't get mad at Chanshi" I interrupted.

Taemin heaved a sigh. "You both know that your performance is tomorrow night already. I trusted the two of you to practice independently, yet...this!"

"Mianhamnida" Chanshi bowed fully.

"Instead of apologizing, just take it from the top" Taemin motioned to the stereo.

The music began to play from the beginning. This would be our seventh attempt to please seonsaengnim.

Ni nuneul bomyeon nan Trouble Maker

Ni gyeote seomyeon nan Trouble Maker

These are my favorite parts of the dance -- those where we dance separately. Don't get me wrong. I'm not repulsed by Chanshi. I just don't want us to feel uncomfortable and this performance was the epitome of that.

And I knew what the next step was so I closed my eyes.

Jogeumssik deo deo deo

Galssurok deo deo deo

"Ya! Sehun-ah! You shouldn't do that!" scolded Taemin-seonsaengnim as he paused the music.

"What?" I blinked innocently.

"Don't close your eyes. You're supposed to look at her dance" Taemin explained.

"The audience won't notice if I do" I reasoned.

"Oh Sehun, where's your professionalism?" he retorted and all I could do was sigh in response.

"Alright," Taemin clapped, "the two of you are not going home until your performance is convincing enough for me."

No way, Sehun. Chanshi is doing fine. See? You're the only one panicking here.

Professionalism. Professionalism.

Niga nareul itjji mothage jakku ni apeseo tto

Ok. Breathe in. Breathe out. You're doing fine so far, Sehun.

Ni mam jakku naega heundeureo beoseonal su eoptdorok

"Seriously?!" Taemin's voice woke me up as he paused the music again, "Sehun, this isn't ballet. Lose the manner hands."

Before I could protest, I thought better of the situation. If I kept on prolonging the practice, it would be Chanshi having a difficult time.

"Ne, seonsaengnim" I simply acknowledged as he pressed play.

Ni ipsureul tto humchigo meolli taranabeoryeo

"Sorry" I whispered to Chanshi as we continued to dance. She replied with a nod.

Nan Trou a a a ble! Trouble! Trou! Trouble Maker!

As she was about to take the next step, I noticed that she was about to do it the other way again.

"Step to the right" I whispered.

She realized it in time and was able to execute the correct formation.

"Thank you" she mouthed.

Trouble Maker~

Please, no. I hate this part. It makes me feel like I'm violating ethics.

"It's just Chanyeol. Just Chanyeol-oppa" I can hear Chanshi mumble repeatedly.

At first I felt dejected, but then I realized that we really had to fool ourselves in our own little ways to survive this performance.

The music stopped again.

"Chanshi," Taemin began, "when you touch Sehun, don't keep your face blank! You make it look like you're wiping the kitchen counter. You've watched Hyuna in the video right?"

She nodded.

"You should do it like that. Show us a face that says go-to-hell-this-guy-is-mine" Taemin dramatically said.

All that Chanshi could do was pout with an expression of anxiety. There is no trace of that personality in her, so I know that Taemin was asking too much. What are you making my angel do?

"Do you understand?" Taemin asked.

To my surprise, Chanshi raised her head and replied, "Ne, seonsaengnim."

"I just want to get this over with" I heard her mutter under her breath.

Before I could feel unwanted again, I reminded myself: professionalism.

The next part of the dance was mainly independent. All that Chanshi had to do was project herself. Our classmates were making sounds of awe and Chanyeol's eyes were merely blinking as he watched his sister dance. I didn't dare to take a look, but I swear that after this performance, I'll punch the faces of the guys in the room. Just kidding.

So I just continued to dance my solo. By the third chorus, I've gotten the hang of it. All I had to do was to space out and rely on memory to do the dance steps. If I remain oblivious to the fact that I am actually dancing with my girl friend, perhaps this will work.

Just space out.

Space out.

Good, the song's almost over.

Space out.

Spa--

I was shaken out of my senses the choreography called for Chanshi's face to be dangerously close to mine. I couldn't help but gaze at her and watch her every move now.

Holding her like this, I can't stop thinking about how selfish I am. For lying. For keeping her in the dark. At first I thought I was doing it for Chanyeol's sake, but now I know differently. If not for that lie, she wouldn't be in my arms like this. Forgive me.

I was snapped out of my reverie by the last few steps of the dance.

I looked directly into Chanshi's eyes, wanting to apologize right then and there. And so just like the song itself, I think:

When I see your eyes, I’m a trouble maker

When I stand next to you, I’m a trouble maker

Little bit more more more

As I go more more more

Now I can’t help my own heart

 

I'm sorry, Chanshi. I can't help it. I can't undo my love for you now.

Trouble Maker~

"Almost done. Remember that you need to convince me!" hollered Taemin, making me avert my vision.

Trouble Maker~

I returned my gaze to Chanshi's eyes. My angel's eyes.

Trouble Maker~

Taemin-seonsaengnim, you want convincing, huh?

And with the last few notes and whistles playing in the air, I closed my eyes and ended the song with a fervent kiss.