Chapter 19

Sehun is my...what?!

The next morning I woke up to a bright sunshiny day. I like it better when I open my eyes to this instead of a brooding thunderstorm. Chanyeol was already up and had cooked breakfast when I got downstairs.

“Where did you sleep last night?” I asked him.

“On the couch, of course” he replied nonchalantly.

“You should stay in our room. The couch isn't very comfortable” I told him happily. My mood is pretty good today. Must be the weather. Or must be…


“Angel” Lu Han had said while looking at me. Then he continued to sing. [x]

“To me you’re more illuminating than an angel
If anyone wills any ill towards you, I won’t let it happen
Nervous as if I’m stepping into Eden for the first time
I want to look at you everyday, think of you everyday”

Strange. Those words were exactly what I was thinking of at that moment. Just like that time at the rooftop, my chest was being hammered by a rapid beat. Why does Lu Han always make me—


“REALLY?!” Chanyeol’s screaming me out of my thoughts.

“Uhh…wh-what?” I blinked at him.

“Can I really stay in our room again just like before?” he grinned with huge eyes.

“Oh that. Of course, oppa” I smiled.

Chanyeol started to squish me.

“Aigoo gomawo, little angel” he chimed.

I nodded, and suddenly thought of something.

“Chanyeol-oppa, why do you always call me little angel?” I inquired.

“Because you are one!” he grinned.

“No, really. Is it because my name’s the Chinese word for it?” I tried to confirm.

“Yup! Wait, you remember that?”

“Ah well, not exactly…” I mumbled. He shot me a questioning look.

“Lu Han told me” I confessed.

Chanyeol raised a brow at me. “And how come he knows that?”

“Duh,” I rolled my eyes “he’s Chinese.”

My brother’s mouth formed an “oh” for a while, then he snapped his fingers.

“C’mon, breakfast is getting cold! Meokja” he ordered as he gently pushed me to a chair.

We ate quickly and freshened up in preparation for school. As we were about to exit the house, Chanyeol palmed his face and turned to look at me.

“I forgot to tell you something! I was too excited about you letting me back in the room” he said.

“Well, I never told you to sleep on the couch. You did it voluntarily. What was it you were gonna tell me anyway?” I asked.

He nodded. “You’re skipping morning classes today.”

“What?! Why?” I exclaimed. But Lu Han...

“It’s because we need to go to the doctor to have your cast checked. Don’t you want it gone?” he explained. As a matter of fact, I do. I’m tired of being a limping burden so I agreed and proceeded to the waiting car outside.

“Good morning, little angel!” greeted Kai from the driver seat as I sat on the backseat.

“Good morning” I greeted back.

“Hey!” yelled Chanyeol as he made me scoot over to sit beside me. “I told you I’m the only one who can call her little angel, Kai.” I wondered what he was doing in the backseat. Shouldn’t he be in front?

“Then I can’t call her that too?” said a voice from front seat, which I first presumed to be empty.

“Hmm, well you guys are together so I think you can call her that” answered Chanyeol.

The guy in the front seat turned to look at me with the most cheerful eye-smile.

“Good morning, little angel!” he greeted.

“G-good morning, Sehun-ssi” I bowed.

He pouted. “What did I tell you yesterday?” he asked.

Oh. I chuckled. “Sorry, I forgot. Good morning, Sehun-oppa” I said casually.

Kai abruptly turned to me with a facial expression implying that I’ve gone crazy while Chanyeol was merely grinning like an idiot…as usual.

“Hmm?” I tilted my head, trying to figure out what’s wrong with them. Kai shook his head and started driving.

“So the hospital right?” Kai asked my brother while looking through the rear view mirror.

“Yeah,” my brother replied. “We’ll be back during lunch break.”

“How are you gonna get back?” asked Kai.

“Bus” replied Chanyeol.

“Theriouthly? You should get a driver’s license, Chanyeol. You’re making it hard for your sister” exclaimed Sehun. I stifled a giggle. He was like this the first time I heard him in the hospital. Sehun must’ve noticed it. He covered his mouth with a hand and turned to look at the window. Chanyeol doubled over in laughter.

“So you don’t remember that either” Chanyeol told me. “He can’t help but talk like that when he’s really angry or having some extreme feeling” he explained as he held onto his stomach while his body shook with laughter.

“I-I’m sorry I didn’t mean to react that way” I apologized.

"Retainer" Sehun briefly explained. I did notice that he had one back at the hospital. Then Kai said, “It’s alright. Your reaction was expected, unlike that idiot of a brother you have” he motioned his head to Chanyeol who was clapping like a drunken seal.

I still felt somewhat guilty. At least now I know what to expect so I won’t be caught off guard the next time.

"Actually, I think it's pretty cute" I said to alleviate the tension. I meant it though. I caught a glance at Sehun biting on his lower lip before turning his face away and towards the window. Kai was grinning and jiggling in his seat. I don't think it's a good idea to squirm like that when driving. We might end up in the hospital for a wrong reason.

As I occupied myself with random thoughts while looking at the blur of passing buildings, something crossed my mind. I fuddled around my bag for my phone and looked up my contact list. My eyebrows knit so closely together as I asked, “Why don’t I have Lu Han’s number?”

Sehun crossed his arms while Kai just kept focused on the road, so I turned to Chanyeol.

“Why must you?” he philosophized.

I rolled my eyes at him for the second time today. “Because he’s my friend. I think he’s actually the only friend I have in school.”

“Then what does that make the three of us?” Chanyeol said with a feigned look of sadness.

“You know what I mean!” I punched his arm.

“Ow. What do you need his number for anyway?” he asked.

“Umm…well, teachers might think I totally ditched class just a few days after coming back so I was thinking of telling someone about why I won’t be present in the morning” I reasoned.

“You should just go ask him later then” he shrugged. Why does my cheerful and friendly brother seem too aloof with my friend? I was about to ask him when the car suddenly stopped.

“We’re here!” said Chanyeol, returning to his bright self.

We alighted the car and waved goodbye. The checkup was very brief. After a series of tests, the doctor concluded that my fractured leg has healed almost completely and that I should come back the following week to finally have the cast removed.

“That was quick.” I told Chanyeol. “I don’t think I should’ve skipped school. Besides, why’d we have to go so early anyway? We could have just come when school is over.”

Chanyeol nodded while seeming to ponder on something.

“What now? Let’s go! I could still hurry into History class.” I pulled his arm, but he didn’t budge an inch.

“Actually, I have to make a confession. I brought you here for something else” he revealed. I raised a brow for him to continue. He scanned the place dramatically before turning to me and whispering. “We’re here to look for a venue for Sehun’s surprise birthday party this weekend.”

“Oh, it’s his birthday on Saturday?” I asked.

“Nope. Two weeks ago” he declared.

“Huh? Then why celebrate now?” I quizzed.

He shook his head as if the answer was already obvious. I didn’t think it was.

“You were in the hospital, remember? Of course he wouldn’t go partying while someone is seriously ill” he explained.

So it was my fault. I pouted. Ah, I’ll make it up to you! I pulled on Chanyeol’s arm again.

“What are you waiting for?” I tapped my foot rapidly.

“W-what?” he asked in a lost tone.

“Let’s go get him the best birthday party ever!” I beamed.

We walked for a tremendous distance and scanned the streets for a good venue to reserve for the weekend.

“How about that?” I pointed to a seafood restaurant with a sign that read "Under the Sea".

“Too fancy,” Chanyeol shrugged. “I doubt that Kai and I could afford that. Besides, that would be so boring!”

I took a peek through the window. It did look very expensive.

“Hmm,” I tapped my chin “then what could be a fun place?”

After several minutes in thought, my brother pumped his fist in the air. “I know! A noraebang~” he chimed.

“Do you guys even sing?” I asked anxiously.

“No, but that makes it even more fun!” he grinned. I imagined my brother’s scary deep voice singing the popular noraebang choice “Gee”. That would be…

“Hahaha!” I burst out. “You’re right, you’re right. Let’s go!” I told him while trying to recover from my laughter.

We scoured the area for a noraebang. Actually, it wasn’t difficult to look for one. They were all over the place, like mushrooms after the rain. The problem, however, is that weekends are fully booked.

“I’m really sorry but there are really no available slots. All rooms were reserved by other customers weeks ago already so I can’t pencil you in anymore. But you can give me your name anyway” said the lady at the front desk of the last noraebang we went into. Although it may be true that she’s sorry, her face seemed to say otherwise. She was smiling at my brother like crazy. Do you apologize like that? And you can try to be more subtle in asking for his name too? Besides, if she can't give us a reservation, she wouldn't need my brother's name.

“It’s ok,” I said pulling Chanyeol away before anything else could happen. “We understand. Thank you for your help.”

“Glad to be of help, sir” she winked. Sir? I was the one talking to her! Aish, this girl.

“Oh by the way,” I turned to face her before exiting “you should visit the Eiffel Tower someday. I’m sure you’ll love it.” Then we quickly left.

Chanyeol made a face once we were outside. “Eiffel Tower?” he inquired.

“Oh that was nothing. I just figured she likes towers” I smiled innocently as I looked up my brother’s towering height. He chuckled in realization and patted my head.

“Well we could have used that to our advantage” he pointed out.

“How? You’re gonna flirt with her into getting a reservation? No way” I rolled my eyes.

“Why not? You jealous?” he teased. “Isn’t your boyfriend being sweet enough to you?”

My what? Oh, I forgot. I have a boyfriend. My expression turned bleak.

“Hmm…judging from your reaction, I must be correct” said Chanyeol ignorantly. “What would you like a guy to do for you anyway?”

“You’re so random” I replied.

“Just answer it anyway” he shrugged. I drew in a deep breath and exhaled. Weirdly enough, I thought of my answer very carefully. Perhaps I was curious myself. What would I want a guy to do for me?

“A song…I want him to sing me a song” I murmured.

Chanyeol abruptly turned and sprinted to the direction we just came from. "W-wait! Where are you going?!"

He tilted his head to face me and yelled, "Getting that reservation!"