Chapter 21

Sehun is my...what?!

What did I do? What did I do? I kept on repeating that question to myself as I waited for the teacher to step into class. Lunch had been awkward, with all of us eating in utter silence except for my happy virus brother, excitedly chattering to himself. I’m not sure what came over me. Maybe I was pressured from the gazes of the students walking by? Or perhaps it was just my unique way of saying thank-you? Aish, seriously. Even I would not buy that excuse. But I don’t have anything else to defend my actions with. All I know is that at that moment, there was a great urge pushing me to do it. Does amnesia come with these weird symptoms? Tss...really, I don’t know where to put the blame anymore.

I continued with my inner monologue even after our Math teacher has greeted the class and asked for our home work. As I passed my drill notebook, the memories of the past hour became even clearer to me. Sehun had held my hand for the entire duration that I was writing down my answers. I had been distracted then, but now that I consciously think about it, my insides are panicking. Sure he had every right to do that. He is my boyfriend after all. And I must admit, I am not averse to the idea. I actually consider myself tremendously lucky to have him.

Ever since the accident, right now is when I pray most earnestly that my memories come back. I wonder what I did before for him to notice little ordinary me. I wonder how we were first introduced to each other by Chanyeol and what our first conversation was like. Did my heartbeat race crazily whenever I saw him at the hallways just like in the teenage dramas? Was I the one who confessed to him? Where did we have our first date? Have we ever ki-

“Chanshi” a whisper broke into my trance. I looked to my right to look at the one who had called me, Lu Han. I inquisitively raised a brow, anticipating what he had to say so urgently that he had to do it in the middle of class. Not like I was paying attention though.

Lu Han pointed a finger to his paper. I strained to take a peek. The teacher was writing on the board so he didn’t notice my shifting movements. On the piece of paper was a stick drawing of a house and a girl. Lu Han pointed to the girl, then at me. Hmm...so that’s me? He called me in the middle of a lecture for that? That’s strange and very un –Lu Han-like.

He picked up his pen and started to draw something else – a stick figure of a boy. He pointed his finger at it and then at himself. I nodded, waiting for him to draw something else to clarify the situation. He drew an arrow from the boy all the way to the girl’s house. Then he drew another arrow coming from the girl’s house stretching to the other end of the paper. There, he drew an outline of buildings and other indications of a city. “Tomorrow” he mouthed.

Is Lu Han...asking me out? To confirm my thoughts, I pointed at my wrist to ask for a time. He drew a circle at the edge of the paper and placed clock hands that read 6 o’clock.

“Therefore theta is equal to what, Mr. Lu?” the professor turned to us.

“30 degrees or pi over 6 radians” he answered casually. Wow. I should learn how to multitask like that. The teacher nodded and went back to the board to solve another problem by himself.

“So,” Lu Han asked as we packed our bags after the dismissal bell has rung  “is it a date?” It is?! Nooo, that was just an expression. I’ve been having really funny thoughts lately.

I could no longer hide my smile. I beamed at him and nodded happily, forgetting all of my previous worries.

He scratched the back of his neck. “I actually don’t know your address. Would you mind messaging it to me?” he asked shyly.

Oh, I almost forogt about this. “But I don’t have your number” I said, handing him my phone. He smiled and punched in his numbers. When he returned my phone, I typed “L” in the search bar but his name did not appear. “There’s no Lu Han here” I pouted.

“Beijing Man Lu Han” he grinned. I looked it up and it was there. I chuckled at how he had used the nickname I had given him at the hospital.

“Wait!” I called out to him just as he was turning to walk away.

Quickly, I snapped a photo of him and saved it into his contact file. Before he could react and I be embarassed at yet another wave of my crazy actions, I ran out of the classroom and waved goodbye to his surprised face.

I skipped to the dance gym with as much movement as the cast would allow me. Once I got inside, I plopped down on my usual area on the floor since I still wouldn’t be allowed to dance for a week. I took out my phone and gazed at my masterpiece. It was a beautiful picture of my friend. My friend...yet why am I this happy? Because I’ll be going out with my best friend tomorrow! I nodded at my resolution.

But...tomorrow is Saturday, isn’t it? My eyes widened in realization as Chanyeol and his friends walked into the gym, greeting Taemin-seonsaengnim. I beckoned my brother to quickly come over. He sensed my urgency and walked briskly to my spot.

“What?” he whispered.

“What time did you reserve the noraebang room for?!” I panicked.

“9PM to midnight. Why?” he raised a brow at me.

I pumped my fist in victory. “Nothing. Just curious” I smiled innocently. He shrugged and took his leave.

Replacing his spot was Sehun. Despite his arguments, Taemin-seonsaengnim just wouldn’t let him dance in his condition. Our eyes met and I realized that I didn’t know how to face him.

“I guess I’m also stuck here for a week” he began talking, which surprised me. Seeing that he probably forgot about what happened, I decided to play along the same lines.

“Yup, and worse is that it’s going to be with me” I stuck my tongue out. He chuckled and ruffled my hair before adjusting his seating position to watch the rest dancing. After thirty minutes, both of us had been doing nothing but shift uncomfortably.

“So this is how boring it’s like, huh?” he asked me. I nodded with a pout. It was seriously boring me to death, so it probably feels the same way for him too.

“Why don’t we play a game to pass the time?” I suggested.

“Sounds like a plan. What game?” he tilted his head. I wrecked my brain for something interesting, but to no avail.

Sehun grinned at my struggle and continued, “What are you good at playing?”

I gave it some thought and hung my head. “Nothing really. Just rock, paper, scissors.” How embarassing. I suggest something, but cannot keep up.

“That would do. C’mon!” he said while striking a gamer pose. I grinned and did the same, ready to begin.

“Wait, there has to be a punishment” I declared.

“A ddakbam then” he challenged.

“Deal” I replied with an expectant smile.

We’ve been playing for three rounds but I kept on winning each time. His forehead was getting pink from all the finger flicks that he received as punishment.

“Ka-wi-ba-wi-bo!” I said as I held my hand spread out. Horror dripped across my face as I saw that Sehun was holding out his hand in the form of scissors. I am so dead.

I slowly closed my eyes to prepare myself for the punishment. It was my idea, yet I'm being a coward like this. It’s just a ddakbam. Don’t be a scaredy cat, Chanshi.

I squeezed my eyes closer as I felt Sehun’s hand hovering over my forehead. 3...2...1...*tak* I heard the sound of the finger flick, but the expected excruciating pain on the forehead was nowhere.

I opened my eyes to see Sehun grinning as he flicked his own forehead.

“Don’t worry,” he smiled “I’ll never hurt you.”