Chapter 17

Sehun is my...what?!

LU HAN’S POV

I threw the door open and found her with arms spread in the air. Before she could move any farther, I firmly held her in my arms.

The last time she was here was because of me. If not for Kyungsoo-sunbae, she would have died. And it would be because of me. Because I assumed her feelings and jumped into conclusions. Because I was too selfish and thought only of my own heart break. I can’t let her get hurt again. I promised to Chanyeol-sunbae.

“Lu Han?” she asked.

I turned her to face me and steadied her by the shoulders.

“What are you doing here? You scared me for a moment there!” I told her.

“I’m sorry. I know you told me to wait but it was too crowded and I needed fresh air” she explained.

“Yeah, you don’t look too well. Your skin looks flushed” I said as I placed my palm on her forehead. “And you’re getting warmer!” I exclaimed. “Are you alright?”

“Y-yes! I’m fine. Just really needed some air” she said while flinching her head away.

“Here,” I handed her the food and drinks “we only have five minutes left. Eat up. It should help you get better.”

“Ah gomawoyo…wait” she said as she reached into her skirt pocket and took her wallet out.

“No, I got his one” I assured her, squeezing her hands to close the wallet shut. She flinched away from my grip again and hid her wallet.

“Th-thank you” she slightly bowed and swiftly turned to sit on one of the chairs.

I followed her and sat on the chair next to her. We ate in silence. She was avoiding any eye contact. Maybe she’s still absorbed in worrying over her boyfriend and didn’t want to talk to anyone right now. I remained quiet to give her some space.

The school bell rang signaling the end of lunch break. I helped Chanshi up and guided her down the stairs and through the corridor. She was trembling. She must be thinking of Sehun.

“He’ll be fine” I smiled.

“Wha-who?” she asked with a surprised look.

“Sehun-sunbae” I replied.

formed an “ah” and gave a weak smile.

“Yeah, I guess” she whispered.

We walked into class and luckily, the teacher wasn’t there yet.

During the remainder of the day, Chanshi was very quiet. She wasn’t dozing off unlike before. Her eyes were not blinking and her eyebrows were knit together. Sometimes I would feel her gaze on me. I guess she means to ask if her boyfriend would be ok, so I always answer her questioning eyes by mouthing “He’s gonna be ok.”

After the last period, we stood up to gather our things.

“Would you like us to visit Sehun-sunbae?” I asked.

“But we need to get to club activites” she answered hesitantly.

“I thought Taemin-seonsaengnim has excused you from dancing until your leg recovers?” I clarified.

“Yeah, but you need to practice singing, don’t you?”

I shook my head. “It’ll only be for one day. I don’t mind. I’ll come with you to the clinic. Besides, unlike the dance club, we practice independently so I can practice by myself some other time” I smiled.

She returned the smile and we walked towards the school clinic.


SEHUN’S POV

Ugh. I’ve been lying here for hours doing nothing. The airconditioned breeze has been shriveling my eyes. Chanyeol had left for class a long time ago and I was dead bored. I couldn’t even manage to sleep. It was too early for that. My body clock is quite stubborn.

I heard the door of the clinic open and two familiar voices greet the nurse. Then the light green curtains parted and revealed my visitors.

“Sehun-sunbae!” beamed the Chinese kid. “Are you well now?”

Shouldn’t Chanshi be the one asking me that? After all, she’s my girlfriend. Wait, what? Aish. Chanyeol and his influence.

“I’m fine,” I replied “the nurse said I have a fracture on my lower back but that it’d heal completely in a week or so.”

“That’s good,” said Lu Han “Chanshi has been worrying about you all day and couldn’t even focus on the lessons.”

She was worried about me?

“Oh is that so?” I turned to Chanshi. She gave a slight smile and bowed.

C’mon, you don’t greet your boyfriend like that! A bow, seriously? Wait, what am I saying again? Aish.

“I’ll be fine. Don’t worry too much” I assured her.

“Yeah, I kept on telling her that too” narrated Lu Han as he placed a comforting arm around Chanshi’s shoulder.

I saw her eyes widen a bit and a blush creep up her cheeks. When Lu Han wasn’t looking, she subtly put a hand to her chest. The realization hit me.

So…that’s it, huh? Amnesia or not, you still like Lu Han? Chanyeol wouldn’t be happy about this. I’ve got to do something.

“Lu Han? Can you help me please? I’ve been lying here for a long time and the airconditioning over here has been drying my eyes. Can you move the bed a bit?” I asked nicely.

Actually, the metal structure of the bed is impossible to move. It’s way too heavy, plus me adding to the weight would make it worse. Chanyeol already tried to do so a while ago. He ended up looking like he was about to give birth as he pushed the bed. Call me evil, but I bet the Chinese kid is gonna look really funny. Chanshi is going to be turned off when he sees that face for sure.

“Oh sure, sunbae” Lu Han smiled and pushed the bed a good ten inches to the right.

What the heck? How can this kid be so strong? Are you on steroids or something? I checked Chanshi’s reaction. She was biting her lower lip to suppress a smile, clearly admiring his strength. What a backfire. Aish! Plan A is a failure. Time for Plan B!

“There, is the distance ok or would you like me to move it farther?” asked Lu Han.

“Ah no! This is perfectly fine. Thank you. Umm…don’t you need to go practice?” I inquired while motioning to the wall clock.

“Nope, it’s ok. I told Chanshi that I’ll accompany her for today” he smiled.

Lu Han. You’re making this difficult for me. Can’t you get a hint?

“Ah, it’s not good to skip practice just because no one is watching” I reprimanded with a stern voice while widening my eyes and motioning to the door.

“But—“

“Lu Han,” I cut him off “thank you for your help. We’ll see you tomorrow!” I faked a grin. The atmosphere was already screaming “leave me and my girlfriend alone”. Will he get it?

He did. With a bow he said “Ok sunbae, I understand. Get well soon.” Then he waved to Chanshi and left. Her face fell.


“Why’d you send him off?” she asked in an obviously annoyed tone.

“Because he needs to practice,” I defended myself “it would be selfish to make him stay when he has other things to do.”

“You’re right,” she sighed “that was selfish of me.”

Oh yes, you’re being selfish. You were checking him out right in front of your injured boyfriend. After all of that bubble tea rain and Chanyeol’s squeaky voice, you’re clearly my girlfriend so you should act like one!

Wait, what was that again? Oh Sehun, shut up. You’re sprouting nonsense. Of course I don’t believe in those fairytale conditions. I’m just doing this for my best friend’s sake. Yes, that’s it. It’s for Chanyeol. Right…

“Mr. Oh?” the nurse interrupted my train of thought “you haven’t eaten anything since you got here and that won’t help your recovery. Here, let me help you with this” she said while bringing in a tray with a bowl of steaming soup.

She placed it on the bedside table and took the spoon.

“I can do it myself, thank you” I blurted out. It would look so silly being fed like a child at this age. She let go of the spoon. “Ok! I’ll just be outside if you need anything” and with that she left. Phew.

“The nurse is right. You should take this while it’s still warm” said Chanshi as she tried to help me up. Sitting wasn’t a very good idea. It stressed the fracture on my lower back. I winced in pain and fell back.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I’m sorry! I guess it won’t be good for you to sit up. Just lie down and I’ll feed you” she said.

She took a spoonful of the soup and placed it near my mouth. I flinched when the steaming liquid made contact with my lips. It was boiling hot! This caused some of the soup to spill near my mouth.

“Omo!” Chanshi exclaimed while searching for a napkin. Seeing that there is none and being in a panicked state, she wiped my lips using her own fingers. I froze. That was unexpected.

“Mianhaeyo,” she pouted “I’m such a pabo.”

“No, it’s alright. You’re not a pabo. You just didn’t notice that it’s hot.” Actually, the bowl looked like a chimney from all the steam and was glaringly obvious, but I didn’t want her to feel bad.

“I’ll be more careful” she said while taking another spoonful and gently blowing on it before feeding it to me. This time it was cool enough.

“Thank you” I smiled.

She grinned back hugely and took another spoonful. “Have some more” she chimed before once again cooling it with her breath.

Well, it’s not that silly being fed like a kid after all. Plan B daebak!