His Mother

Tomboy Me, Beautiful You

 

After school, You and Myungsoo silently and awkwardly made your way towards the nearest hospital in town, as well as the cheapest, since Myungsoo was not well off and had to pay all the bills to fund for his injured mother. The sky, such a bright and vibrant blue with patches of clouds hanging overhead made you think that this day didn’t match the mood of the atmosphere you guys were in right now.

 

‘ So…since when did you learn that she was ill?’ You eventually broke the awkward ad heavy atmosphere that seemed to be suffocating you, pressing down on your shoulders like a huge weight you had to bear. * I hate those kind of dark moods, I prefer when everything’s all right and no one is unhappy*

 

‘ Since last night, I told you already’ He replied, cutting her off and his pace accelerating. You tried to keep up with him as he walked. It looked like he didn’t want to speak to you, and his mood just worsened it all.

Okay, you knew he was devastated because of his mom, but come on, you too had your fair problems when your own mom left, it left a gaping wound in your heat, but you moved on, this is how people live, they strengthen themselves, and try to forget. Myungsoo should do the same.

 

You guys finally reached the hospital, the tall gruesque building not appealing to your senses. It was a big block of white with a big red cross, the color of blood, slashing in the middle like Jesus’s cross.

 

 

As You entered, the scent of the hospital filled your nostrils, so stickily sweet and honey-like, just like something had just been washed for 5 times and it made you want to vomit.

* Bloody hell, this is going to kill me!*, You gulped and followed Myungsoo’s back to the room. 4B-02. You could see his hand hesitating at the door, his back exhaling as it trembled. Then, with a sigh, he pushed it open and in you went after him, freezing at the sight of the woman lying on the bed, unconscious, or more likely sleeping.

 

A sudden pang hit you squarely in the stomach, and you tried to stagger back, gasping for air. You breathed in, controlled and got beside Myungsoo, looking at the poor lady.

She had electric wires handing from both her arms, her hands clenched into tiny, pale papery fists that made you think that it could snap at every second. Her legs, even though covered by the blanket, were so thin and frail, like one’s of a child’s. And her face, so fresh and young, but so old and vulnerable at the same time. It made you think of your own mother.

 

I don’t know what to say…* you stood, eyes wide at the scene.  Myungsoo just stood there, a cold and as rigid as a statue while he just gazed at his mom with adoration and love.

 

‘Why hello Myungsoo’ the lady finally woke up. She opened her eyes, so small and feminine as she gazed at her one and only son. He looked up to meet her gaze, and a smile filled his face. Taking a step towards her, he clung on to her hand, thousands of expressions filling his face; love, adoration, hurt… That’s what you saw pass across Myungsoo’s features.

 

‘ Omma, how are you feeling?” He asked , all cheery. * all too fake* You thought.

The lady chuckled ‘ i-I’m fine, Myungsoo-ah, don’t worry about me. . . And…who’s that?” She lifted her gaze from her son to meet eyes with you.

 

You bowed formally to her ‘ annyeonghasseyo, choneun Jang Jae Imnida ‘then you gave her a sweet smile. She chuckled again and smiled back, showing a row of perfect pearly white teeth.

‘why Myungsoo-ah, I never knew you had such a pretty girlfriend’ She said, cocking her eyebrows and wiggling her shoulders at her boy. He just blushed bright red and sent her a ‘stop-joking-around-you’re-embarrassing-me’ look. You couldn’t help but chortle. This mum was so hip. * Well, technically, I’m so not his girlfriend *

 

‘ Jae-yah, please, be nice to Myungsoo, and don’t forget to learn him manners’ She said, smiling at you. You smiled back.


“ Of course I will’