Ren’s Dad

The Boy Who Is Prettier Than Me

 

 

---

Next day, Saturday means no school. As you wake up, the first one you check is your phone. Hoping to see a text message from Ren as he usually do.

Unexpectedly, there’s no message from him. A frown suddenly formed on your face as you pouted. “He didn’t text me today. Weird..” you mumbled to yourself.

You unwillingly got up from your bed and went downstairs. You found your mom and dad there eating breakfast.

You walked to them and sat next to your mom.

“Good morning appa and omma..” you greeted in a sad tone. “I don’t think it’s a ‘good’ morning to you.” your dad snapped.

You looked up at him, “Eh?!” you asked in confusion. “According to your greeting, it feels like it’s a ‘bad’ morning to you.” your dad replied, emphasizing the word ‘bad’.

You lowered your head, “Ohh.. I was just mad a little.” you whispered. Your dad raised an eyebrow to you, “Mad? With who?” he asked, curious.

You lifted your head up as you get a bread and put something on it, “I didn’t received any text from Ren.” you sadly whispered.

Your mom smiled, “Aigoo! You’re so cute. You really love him, don’t you?” “Omma!” you hissed.

“Why don’t you give him a visit then?” your dad snapped that made you and your mom turned to look at him.

You paused for a while then shook your head, “Ani. Maybe he was still sleeping that’s why..” you said and took a bite on your bread.

Your mom and dad looked at each other in concern. Your mom was about to nag you but your dad already give him a sign to not to do it.

After the breakfast, you sat on the couch as you open the TV to make yourself busy. In the whole time that you were there, your eyes were only focusing on your phone. Still, waiting for a text message from Ren to come.

Lunch came, still no text message from Ren. You already eat lunch then went back to watch TV.

Suddenly, you fall asleep on the couch. 4:00 pm, you woke up as you slowly open your eyes.

You reach out your phone to check if there’s a message from Ren. Disappointedly, there’s nothing.

After thinking for a while, you stood up and stepped your foot towards the door.

“Minyoung-ah, where are you going?” your mom called as she noticed you going out. You turned back to her and saw her and your dad looking at you.

“I’ll go to Ren.” you simply said then disappeared from their sights.

---

As your car stopped in front of Choi’s mansion, you carefully went out as a car suddenlu stopped next to yours.

You took a peek on the car until you saw Mrs. Choi went out from the car. You politely bowed at her.

“Uh.. Minyoung-ah!” she said as she walked to you. “Annyeong haseyo!” you greeted as you scanned her back, “Um.. Where’s Ren?” you asked.

Mrs. Choi lowered her head, “Uh-oh.. Actually, today is my husband’s death, Ren’s dad.” Mrs. Choi started.

Your eyes widen, “His dad’s death?” you gasped. Mrs. Choi nodded, “And Ren was still there, he doesn’t want to go home early because he has a reason.” she continued.

You remained silent, not knowing how to react. “Can I ask you a favor, Minyoung?” she suddenly asked. You slowly nodded, “Sure..”

“Ren need someone to comfort him today and you’re the only person who could do that. Can you go to him and give him a comfort?” she asked.

You nodded, “Yes, I will.” you replied.

---

As you reach the cemetery where Ren’s dad’s grave where located, you carefully got off from your car.

Just then, you saw Ren kneeling in front of his dad’s grave. You walked to him and stooped down next to him. You glance at him, he looks very sad. You placed your hand to his shoulder, “Gwenchana?” you asked.

Ren slowly turned to look at you, “Minyoung..” he whispered in a low voice. You turned to look at his dad’s grave, “You must missed your dad very much..” you said.

Ren turned to look also hia dad’s grave and paused, “I do.” he whispered. You stared at him for a moment. You feel sorry because of what he was feeling right now.

“Do you want to know what’s the reason of my dad’s death?” he suddenly asked. You just stared at him and didn’t give him a response.

“Ten years ago, I’m only 5 years old back then but I could still remember what happened that day. The day of my dad’s death. He shouldn’t be die if it wasn’t because if me. He just want to save me but he just died. If I wasn’t go far in the sea, my dad was still alive right now. My dad did know how to swim but he suddenly got cramps that made us drowned back to the water of the sea again. Until somebody help us but that time, my dad was no longer alive. It was my fault. It was all my fault.” he said as his tears burst out.

You looked down at him, softened. You reach out for his shoulder and give him a warm hug. With that, Ren cried even louder along with sobs, “It’s all my fault..” he mumbled once again.

You gently tapped his back, “Shhh.. It’s not your fault or anyone’s. All of us has a limit of life. If your dad died that day, because it’s already time for him to go to heaven not because you did something wrong.” you whispered.

Ren hugged you back as he continued crying.