Chapter 65

On the Brink of Insanity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Although it was spring, the time when the sun began to stay out longer and the air got warmer. However, since today was cloudy and rainy, it got dark quickly and the temperature dropped instantly once the sun went down. Heechul was annoyed by this as he walked through the trees. It was a little after seven and he’d send Leeteuk back to the house about an hour ago, since they both knew the kids were probably wondering where they were…not to mention hungry. So now he was out there alone, still searching for Kibum. The dark, cold night was only increasing Heechul’s worries. Kibum had been missing for over four hours now, he was probably freezing to death by now.

But the coldness wasn’t the only thing that he was worried about. Heechul knew that whoever was stalking Kibum could still be out there. He felt foolish for letting Kibum leave the house in the first place, even with Henry. But then again, the whole point of taking Eunhyuk or Sungmin along was to ensure that no matter what Kibum wouldn’t have been alone and would be safe. He would have been so furious with Henry if he weren’t so worried about Kibum.

As he walked around in the rain, unable to see anything since it was so dark, Heechul sighed hopelessly. There was no way he was going to find Kibum out there by himself. It made him feel absolutely terrible, a horrible mother. Three hours and no sign of him; what kind of parent lets that happen?

Kibum would know, though. He would know exactly how it felt. Heechul felt a pang of guilt for even thinking that thought. Of course Kibum would know how it felt. The worry and anxiety he went through when Dayeun went missing, wandering if she was safe, if she was scared, was she cold…the same questions flew through Heechul’s mind. It amazed him, not in a good way, how much he was still learning about Kibum, how no matter how much time passed Kibum was still suffering in one way or another. Because he knew that Kibum was sharing similar thoughts as he was, that the young boy was probably think about his own situation of being lost and alone, how Dayeun had probably felt the same way.

A gust of wind blew, causing Heechul to shiver involuntarily. Even he was freezing, and he’d only been out there for two hours. This is futile. I’m not going to find him in the dark, he thought in annoyance. Just about ready to give up and go back home to get everyone else out there helping him with flashlights, Heechul halted when he saw something move up ahead. Thinking instantly that it was Kibum, Heechul ran forward as quickly as he could. 

Much to his great relief, it was Kibum. Heechul nearly cried in relief as he neared the boy and instantly threw his arms around him. Kibum stood there motionlessly as Heechul held him tightly but didn’t respond to him.

“Oh, Kibum. I was so worried! Are you okay? What happened? Did you get lost?” Heechul asked anxiously, pulling away and looking into Kibum’s eyes full of concern. Kibum lowered his eyes to the ground and nodded vaguely.

“I got lost,” He whispered, so low that Heechul could barely hear him. Heechul frowned slightly, realizing that Kibum was probably traumatized by now.

“Alright, let’s go home. Don’t be scared anymore, I’m here now; I won’t let anything happen to you again,” Heechul promised, taking hold of Kibum’s hand. Kibum said nothing and just let himself be led back home, back to safety.

Thankfully, it was not a long trek back home; just about a five minute walk. When the lights from front porch came into sight Heechul quickly ushered Kibum towards the house. Kibum glanced up only slightly as they walked up the steps and to the front door, feeling a sense of relief that he was finally home. Heechul gently pushed him through the front door and not a second later after hearing the door close, everyone came running towards them.

“Hyung!”

“Kibum you’re back!”

“What happened? Are you okay?”

“Where were you, Kibum? Why’d you wander off alone?”

Heechul frowned as Kibum latched onto his hand timidly, as if he were scared of his brothers. Heechul knew that he was feeling overstressed from all the commotion.

“You guys, back of will you?” He tried to tell the boys.

“Hey, give him some space!” Leeteuk said, trying to pull Eunhyuk and Mir back a bit as they all crowded around Heechul and Kibum. But his and Heechul’s attempts to calm them down was futile and ignored.

“Kibum, you’re all wet and dirty, what happened?”

“Are you okay? Were you scared?”

“Where were you?”

Kibum unconsciously moved closer to Heechul, eyes watering up with tears that quickly streamed down his cheek. He lowered his head and closed his eyes as he cried, wishing that they would stop crowding him and leave him alone.

“Alright, leave him alone!” Heechul yelled loudly, protectively wrapping his arms around Kibum, who instantly buried his face in Heechul’s chest for comfort. Everyone instantly stopped talking and backed away from them.

“But umma,” Mir began softly, but Heechul shook his head no to make him stop.

“He’s scared, you guys. Give him some time, okay?” He said in a gentle tone. Everyone nodded and watched as Heechul led Kibum down the hall towards the bathroom; he really needed a hot shower after being out in the rain all day, covering in mud, and shivering vigorously from being so cold.

Heechul switched on the lights in the bathroom and went over to the tub to turn on the water to the hottest temperature. Kibum stood to the side, wiping away his endless tears, as Heechul got out some towels for him.

“Okay, get cleaned up. I’ll be in the living room when you’re done,” Heechul said, moving towards the door. Before he could get anywhere, Kibum suddenly reached out and grabbed his arm to stop him.

“No! Don’t go,” He pleaded, staring up at Heechul with frightened eyes. Heechul looked down at him and saw the utter fear evident in the poor boy’s face.

“Do you want me to stay?” He asked softly, and Kibum nodded quickly.

He sat aside while Kibum showered and then waited while he got dressed in his room. After, Heechul helped Kibum into bed and tucked him in comfortably. He sat next to him on the bed, holding Kibum’s hand as the boy stared blankly, tiredly, into space. He was completely out of it, and Heechul couldn’t blame him for it. As he sat there watching Kibum, Heechul couldn’t help but wonder what had happened today. He knew the forest was big, but from where he’d found Kibum, it was so close to the house. He wanted to know where Kibum had been for those four hours, why he’d gotten so lost.

“Kibum what happened?” Heechul asked quietly. Kibum breathed out softly and blinked his eyes sleepily.

“I don’t know,” He replied. Heechul nodded; it was understandable. Kibum was tired and probably still shocked about what happened.

“Henry is sorry for leaving you alone out there. He didn’t understand, but he’s still in trouble for leaving you in the park alone,” Heechul informed him. Kibum closed his eyes and his lip quivered a bit as a tear rolled down his cheek.

“I don’t remember,” He whispered, getting upset. Heechul put his hand on Kibum’s face, wiping away the tears, and looked at him with gentle eyes.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter