Chapter 53

On the Brink of Insanity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kibum blinked and squinted his eyes a bit trying to see if the darkness was just playing games with him. He reached his arm over and the lights, but Mir’s bed was still empty.

“Mir?” He said softly, looking around. But his friend was nowhere in sight. He stepped backwards out of the room and glanced over at the bathroom door, but the light was off so obviously Mir wasn’t in there. Kibum frowned softly and wandered where Mir had gone off to. Maybe he’s in the living room? No, I just passed it, I would have seen him. Hmm, where could he be? Kibum turned and looked at Sungmin’s room. The older boy had gone to stay with Leeteuk instead of Heechul, so perhaps Mir thought it would be fun to sleep in his room.

Stepping across the hall, Kibum twisted the doorknob and pushed the door open. He the light and looked towards the bed, but the room was completely empty. Kibum sighed softly and left the room. He probably is just upstairs sleeping in hyungs room, or maybe he – wait, what was that noise? Kibum halted his movements and turned to look at the end of the hall. There it was again, some weird scratching sound. His eyes went wide and his heart started to race as the most horrible thought crossed his mind.

There was a ghost in the house.

Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god, I’m going to die! Kibum bit his lip and wrapped his arms around himself protectively. This was all Donghae’s fault for making him watch that scary move, The Grudge, late last night. Kibum took a deep breath and slowly shuffled closer to the source of the noise until he was standing outside of Henry’s bedroom. The ghost was in there, who else could it be? Henry had gone home weeks ago! Kibum took another deep breath to steady his nerves as he reached his hand forward.

Three.

Two.

One.

He quickly flung the door open and much to his surprise, and great relief, there was no ghost. Just Mir standing at Henry’s closet with wide eyes, as if he’d been caught red handed doing something he wasn’t supposed to be doing. Like being in his brother’s room when Henry wasn’t there.

“What are you doing, Mir?” Kibum asked him curiously, leaning against the doorframe.

“Um…playing hide and seek? You found me!” Mir said, forcing a grin. He and Kibum stared into each other’s eyes silently for two very long minutes. Kibum studied the younger boy, trying to figure out what he was doing. But since it wasn’t even six in the morning and he was tired and wanted to go back to bed, he pushed it out of his mind.

“Oh, okay. I’m telling on you,” Kibum said, turning around to walk away. Mir immediately darted after him.

“Wait! Kibum, don’t tell umma,” He pleaded, pulling on Kibum’s arm. But the older boy just shook him off and headed back into the kitchen where Heechul was still sitting at the kitchen table.

“Hyung, Mir was doing something that he wasn’t supposed to be doing in Henry’s room,” Kibum tattled.

“No I wasn’t! Don’t listen to him, umma! His mind is being controlled by aliens,” Mir said seriously, looking at his mother with hopeful eyes. Heechul glanced at the two of them carelessly and then at the clock on the wall; it was way too early for this.

“You two, go back to bed,” He said exasperatedly, the caffeine nothing having kicked in yet so he didn’t have the energy to deal with their childishness.

“But hyung, I’m not tired anymore,” Kibum replied through a yawn.

“Then go to your room and read a book. Do something, I don’t care what, just make it last until seven,” Heechul told them, ushering them out of the kitchen. Kibum obediently did as he was told and sauntered back upstairs to his room to get a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter