Training Like a Kpop Trainee for a week (Day 0)

How to get a kpop idol body

Hello everyone again finally, it's Ann! I can't believe it's already been a year since I've last updated this story (For anyone curious about the last chapter, no that exercise does not work). I'm sorry I haven't been able to update this story a lot since I couldn't find any more kpop exercises to write about, and I've just been doing a lot of other stuff recently. But anyways, I'm back for now to try living like a trainee for a week! 

The Schedule:

This was the hardest part of deciding because of course not every trainee trains for the same amount of time every day, some do more than others and some focus on different things i.e. Dance, rap or singing. Foriegn trainees have to study Korean. All trainees will probably learn some basic Japanese or Chinese if they don't already know depending on their company's standards. Sources of trainee schedule vary but for mine I'm gonna be basing it off of a former SM trainee's answer on a reddit AMA post. I choose this because it suited me the most as they focused mainly on dancing and was the only reliable source that specified training times. Although they don't give a set training schedule here are the main points they give as to a training schedule: 

  • 2-4 hours of dance training (starts with a 30 minute warm up)
  • 2 hours of vocal training 
  • 6 hours of being trained by trainers (in total)
  • More practice the better
  • Weekly language classes 
  • No relaxing after schedule
  • Semi-monthly - weekly evaluations 
  • Students practice 8-10 hours a day while people who weren't in school practice up to 14 hours a day

That's already a lot to take on, but here's how I've decided to make this into my own schedule:

Singing:

I still live with my parents, and they probably don't want to hear my whale mating call voice trying to hit high notes for 2 hours every day for a week, so I'm just going to try to practice singing when they're not home, but if I can't avoid it then I'll study up on proper vocal techniques, exercises and etc. that I can count towards vocal training. I'm going to be doing this for 2 hours a day. 

Dancing: 
Lucky for me, my dad's exercise room has a mirror wall that he uses to check form when he's exercising, so I'll be able to use that to practice dancing. Although I'm not professionally trained in dancing, I've decided to make it my "major" so to speak for the week. This is because I could do it without disturbing my parents, it was fun and I like to dance so why not. As for dance training I'm going to be following tutorials from the Korean dance studio 1 MILLION dance because the choreographers have choreographed for Kpop groups before (ex: Sumni, TWICE, BoA ) and I like their choreography! By the end of the week I'm hoping to know at least 3 of their choreographies on their channel. That being said, I might go for different dance studios on youtube too so I have more variety and can try new styles. I'm looking to practice dance as much as I can for at least 4 hours a day. 

Language:

Currently I can only speak English fluently and I'm currently studying French as required by my school curriculum (In other words: It's offensively not good). I'm going to be using the app Memrise to study Korean. According to the post I'm referencing near the beginning of this post, a foreign trainee doesn't study Korean every day but at least weekly. Since my "trainee life" will only live for a week, I'm gonna try studying Korean for at least 2 hours this week or maybe 30 mins a day if I feel like being a good "trainee". 

So all things considered, this is what my schedule's gonna look like roughly:

  • 7 AM: Wake up, eat breakfast, brush teeth (The normal stuff)
  • 8-9 AM: 1 hour of vocal study/training
  • 9 AM - 1 PM: 4 Hours of dance practice (Including warm up)
  • 1 - 5 PM: Free time / Extra practice
  • 5 - 7 PM: Dinner (The reason why dinner's so long is because dinner time varies a lot in my house)
  • 7 - 8 PM: 1 hour of vocal study/training
  • 8 - 8:30 PM: Study Korean
  • 8:30 - Whenever I sleep: Free time / Extra Practice 

Keep in mind this is a rough schedule, I most likely won't be able to follow every exact part of this schedule to a T but I'll try my best to at least complete 2 hours of vocal study and 4 hours of dance. 

Dieting:

This is gonna be the part I dread most about this week. As you see in MANY chapters of this story, I, in no way encourage or want people to follow dangerous Kpop diets. For this week, I'm gonna have to eat my own words (Which is the only thing I'm gonna be eating a lot of for a while lmao). So do not follow anything of my diet that I do during this week. I'm not gonna be starving myself this week obviously, but I'm gonna do a less than desirable 2 meals a day diet that restricts any processed/packaged snacks, no fried foods, no drinks other than water, no sugary/salty foods. This is actually pretty generous for a Kpop diet, considering some of the worser kpop diets out there, but it's probably gonna be easier said than done. 

Other stuff to keep in mind during the week:

Kpop trainees are normally not allowed to have any social media so besides on replying to comments on this story, I will delete all my social media apps for the week, which shouldn't be so bad considering I only really go on to look at memes and talk to friends, and it's only a week too so it won't be so hard. 

Kpop idols are also expected to have good skin/bodies, so I might exercise on the side to get some muscle/burn off some fat if 4 hours of dance is somehow not doing that. I also have to keep a good skin care routine so I can get the ideal "mochi skin", while I do have some acne thanks to puberty, I already take care of my skin regularly by moisturizing, cleansing, weekly clay masks and sheet masks, so this part isn't hard. 

Final Evaluation:

By the end of the week I should be able to:

  • Memorize and properly perform at least one full choreography I've learnt from the week.
  • Sing one song with good technique and stability OR know the basics of vocal techniques.
  • Possibly read hangul to a somewhat good extent OR know a few Korean words/phrases

Lord, give me the strength of 10 full grown men.

This is definitely gonna be hard but I'm excited! This was something I've always wanted to try and I couldn't think of a better time than now considering I'm still on summer break from school, don't have any plans to do anything for the week and just been looking for something to do. I'll write about how each day goes and post it all next week (You all better have your calendars checked for August 28th, 2017 to check my story hahaha). If any of your are curious, here are my current stats:

Weight: 132 lb / 59 kg (I gained a lot from my terrible diet :()

Height: 5" 4.5 / 164 cm

I lost my measuring tape so I can't measure myself :/

Anyways, that gonna be it for now, remember to subscribe to my story to get updated once I finish this challenge, leave a comment down below if you're curious about anything or just wanna talk and upvote this story! Thank you for reading! :)