Korean skincare 101: Ingredients

How to get a kpop idol body

Ayo guys! So recently I've been getting more into skincare, especially Asian skincare, and once you get into it you start hearing a lot of buzz words, especially when it comes to ingredients with ingredients like Aloe Vera, green tea, honey, rice water and even animal placenta popping up everywhere, it can get confusing for beginners and we start wondering "What's best for anti-aging? Pore tightening? Acne?" So to help I created a little guide explaining the effects of some ingredients and what's best for your skin problems. Don't see the ingredient you wanted to know about here? Comment that ingredient in the comment section below and I'll help you to the best of my abilities. Without further ado, let's go!

Green tea: 
Green tea is well-known to help you lose weight but what can it do for your skin?
TeaGreenPot.jpg
                                 www.linkedin.com
  •  Contains catechins which helps suppress acne and stabilize hormone imbalance.
  • Has anti-inflammatory properties which helps reduce redness and improve acne scars
  • Has high amounts of OPC (Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins) which help repair damaged cells and prevent enzymes from breaking down collagen and elastin
Green tea is best for people with acne or are starting to see signs of aging
A green tea product to try: Innisfree the green tea seed serum Used by Girl's Generation's Yoona, it uses green tea seed to lock in moisture and a "mix of organic green tea water, panthenol, batain and green complex" to give the user clearer skin. According to reviews on Yesstyle.com this product improves your complextion, smells great and doesn't leave a sticky residue on your skin like other serums.
 
Aloe vera:
Yes, the ingredient that helps heal your sunburns can also help your skin
1441596490002
                            www.cravingyellow.com
  • Aloe vera moisturizes skin without leaving a greasy feeling
  • Contains vitimin C and E which help the skin maintain its firmness
  • Contains Auxin and Gibberellins which help reduce inflammation
  • Gibberellins in Aloe vera help new cells grows resulting in quicker healing time for acne and less scarring
  • It is said Aloe vera has a cooling sensation which makes it best to use after hot days. However some Aloe vera products can have an "icy-hot" feeling on your skin.
Aloe vera is best for people with acne and dry skin
Aloe vera product to try: Nature Republic soothing and moisture aloe vera 92% soothing gel what a name. This product is one of Nature Republic's best selling item, it comes in a large 300g container and can be used anywhere on your body even on your nails and doesn't leave a sticky, oily feeling. It's paraben, mineral oil and artificial colour free making it open for all skin types to use it, and it's also said to have a cooling effect on skin making it great for summer but also has a moisturizing effect making it great for winter.
Rice water:
imageproxy.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oneg
                                       jwtalk.net
To all the Asians out there; all of the rice in your basement can do more than just be eaten. (How to make your own rice water)
  • When left on skin to be absorbed it helps stimulate blood flow and help cell growth
  • Helps tighten pores
  • Since rice water is all natural it can be used on sensitive skin
Rice water is best for people with large pores and works for all skin types
Rice water product to try: DIY rice water, although there are many products from cleansing oil to sheet masks that use rice water as the main ingredient the extra ingredients added to these products can be bad for acne-prone or sensitive skin. However when you make your own rice water it's all natural making it suitable for all skin types. Last month I made some rice water for my mom since she couldn't find anymore good toners and after a week of using it she started raving about how soft her skin felt and how her pores became smaller, she has acne-prone skin for those who are wondering.
 
Tomato:
generic_original_785844f5725e45dbab1ac5b
                                       Fanpop.com
This ingredient is popularly used by Girl's day's Minah to keep her skin flawlessly white, but what benefits does it actually have?
  • Tomato contains lycopene which helps protect skin from harmful sunrays and make your skin look like a baby's skin.
  • Tomato products allow your skin to in more oxygen which delay the aging process and make you less prone to wrinkles
  • Helps skin look brighter and give you a more natural tone
Tomato products are best for anti-aging and dull skin
Tomato product to try: Nature republic Real nature tomato sheet mask the tomatos in this sheet mask is said to give your skin a brighter, more radiant complexion and have a moisturizing effect making this the perfect sheet mask to use when the bitterly cold winter season dries out your skin. 
 
Cucumber:
Cucumbers are used by Goo Hara and once said on twitter it's good when your skin feels dry.
Goo Hara Face Maskkey=>0 count1
                                    Goo Hara's twitter
  • Source of silica which help fight wrinkles
  • Due to high water content and cooling feeling it has on skin it's best to soothe minor burns, skin irritations and help reduce swelling in the face.
  • The vitimin K in cucumbers helps brighten skin and lighten dark circles under eyes
  • Contains vitimin B5 which help your skin maintain moisture
  • Source of vitimin A which helps control melanin production. Melanin causes dark spots and freckles
Cucumber products are best for anti-aging, dark spots and dry skin
Cucumber product to try: EkeL Cucumber ultra Hydrating Essence Mask This mask contains Cucumber extract to moisturize the skin and rice water to keep your skin supple. According to reviews on yesstyle.com this mask is great for moisturizing dry skin and leaves a refreshed feeling once you take the mask off.
 
Anyways that all for today, how do you guys like this idea for a series? Right now I'm kind of on the fence with this idea but if you guys like it then I'll make more chapters like "How to choose a good cleanser" or "How to choose the best sheet mask for your skin". Remember to leave a comment, let me know what you want to see or feel free to leave any questions in the comment section below. Don't forget to click that subscribe and upvote button on your why out and as always I'll see you later!
 
Check out my review of The Face Shop's Real Nature Sheet masks HERE!!
 
Skin goals: Like fitspiration but for skin
suzy.jpg
Person; Miss A's Suzy
Credit: kpopstarz.com
References: