Chapter Seven

Super Junior Gangs

Jongwoon nibbled on the end of his pen in contemplation. He was staring down at a file for an unrelated case but he wasn’t actually reading any of it at all. No, his thoughts were filled with one thing only. The soft cheek bones, gentle eyes, and cute smile of a person named Kim Ryeowook. It was actually pretty bad how much his thoughts were going to the young gang member. For some reason, that boy was filling all his thoughts, both at work and at his apartment. It was becoming quite the distraction. He wondered if Ryeowook got in trouble for being at the café with the detective, if anyone even knew he was. He wondered what the kid was doing, if he thought at Jongwoon at all. If he wanted to meet Jongwoon again like the detective wanted too. It was driving him nuts!

A folder landing on top of his desk caused Jongwoon to jump in surprise in his seat. The officer who dropped the folder gave the detective a worried look.

"Are you all right Jongwoon-shi?" The officer asked in a concern tone.

"Yes, yes. Sorry about that, I let my thoughts drift away it would seem."

"Is this case that complex for you? I thought it was pretty straight forward." The officer asked as he looked at the case file in Jongwoon's hands. "I'm actually dropping off the lab reports to it, all the evidence is there and points straight to the husband."

Jongwoon looked over the folder that the officer gave him. The man, despite being relatively new to the force, was correct. The case he was doing was a simple open/close homicide of jealous husband killing wife for insurance claim. It was rather sad really, but happened more often than people realized. The fact that the officer was able to figure out the whole case before Jongwoon was enough evidence that the detective was not focused at all. He sighed inwardly before looking at the officer.

"Get a warrant for Soo-Ling's arrest and bring him in." He ordered the officer like everything was fine with him.

"Sir!" The officer replied as he snapped to attention. He left right away to carry out the order.

When the man was out of sight Jongwoon sighed and leaned back into his chair. His growing thoughts over Ryeowook was becoming a real problem and the man needed to figure out what he was going to do quickly so he could jump back into what he should be doing, his job. If a regular officer was able to catch him drifting off it was only a matter of time before Kibum or the Chief did as well.

Kibum, Jongwoon's new partner was furious with him after he came back from the café that one day. He scolded him for his stunt the rest of the day and followed after the older as if he was a child needing to be babysat. In fact, Jongwoon has been under constant surveillance by his partner that he was surprised the man was not at his desk now giving him another earful for slacking off. His chief was not easy on him either when he returned. He was giving a ton of paperwork and forced to sit in on boring meetings over other simple cases as punishments for skipping out for a few hours without approval from anyone. Jongwoon was lucky he didn’t lose his job but since it wasn’t a common thing for him to do, he was left off.

The detective's hand shifted towards the report he was reading and forced himself to concentrate. The case was about a money scandal involving one of the top companies in the nation. He was to find out if there was any truth to the claim that the Board was not laundering the money for personal means. It was one of the few cases he was working on that didn’t seem to relate to either of the gangs.

As he was reading through the file, Kibum walked up to his desk.

"Jongwoon." He called as he tapped the desk.

"Yes Kibum-shi?" The other asked as he raised his head.

"I have received word that TVXQ has left the nation to go back to Japan. Apparently they have some things they were working out in their Japan gang and will be gone for a while."

Jongwoon took this in with a thoughtful face. If TVXQ were gone than it meant M and T were without any restraints. The only thing keeping them from an all out war was Jung Yunho. He had a feeling that the meeting they had at Shinee the other day had something to do with the trip. Jongwoon realized that tensions would probably rise with the gang out of the picture.

"We best keep an eye on the gangs. Without Jung Yunho there to keep the peace, they might get fidgety and do something stupid."

"Can one man really keep both of the gangs in that much control?" Kibum asked curiously.

Jongwoon waved for the other to sit so he could explain.

"Yunho is feared as a powerful leader. Not only does he have the most control over Korea but he also has Japan in his control as well. The Yazuka respect him a lot. He also has some of the deadliest people in his inner circle. You have read up on them I suppose."

"Jaejoong, his number two is the best assassin in the world, Changmin is one of the most well known hackers in the world, and Junsu and Yoochun. I have read a lot about them. But I assumed they were mostly rumors."

"No, most things you hear about TVXQ are real. They are scary and Yunho has never hesitated to kill someone to make his point know. When he lets Jaejoong off his leash there is a lot of blood spilled. And Changmin makes sure their tracks are covered perfectly. They are much harder to pin things on than M and T combined. Them going to Japan is a blessing and a curse for us."

"What is Yunho like? You've met him."

"He is smart and cunning and knows exactly what he is doing. When I met him he made it clear exactly what Shinee was and what the rules were. To be honest he has been a help to us. TVXQ has kept some small fry gangs from forming up by lettings us know and keeping them controlled. He has a respect towards Leeteuk and Donghae and that is the only reason he as let them rise as much as they have."

"Have you met Leeteuk and Donghae?"

"I only know what they look like, but no. The leaders don’t talk with us ever. Usually if there is something that is needed, they send someone in their circle to deal with us. I mainly speak with Siwon from M and Sungmin from T."

"Not their number 2?"

"Nah, we are important enough to be able to talk to them." Jongwoon replied sarcastically. "But I rather talk to those two than some of the others."

Kibum seemed to take this all in. After his first reaction to Jongwoon approach of the gangs and Shinee being neutral he realized the importance of it. In fact he was more open to it, even though he still wants to arrest them all. He doesn’t go anywhere near the café unless he is with his partner and tends to bite his tongue when any of the gang members enter. But Jongwoon has not been at the café as of late, something that has struck Kibum as odd.

At first he thought the other was steering clear of it after he got in trouble, but that was a couple of weeks ago. It seemed like the detective was purposely avoiding the colorful place. But he had this permeate wistful look to his face that Kibum could tell he missed the café. But whenever he suggested the pair to go, Jongwoon always found an excuse to avoid the place. Kibum decided to back off until he could learn more.

"So what does this mean for us then?" He asked.

"We keep tabs on everyone. I suggest combing through their favorite hang outs and see what we can find."

"Like Shinee?" Kibum casually suggested. He noticed the other winched.

"Well there are some other places we can start as well. The Shinhwa Bar would be great to start, some of the lower members tend to go there for drinks. We should be able to get some idea what the groups plans are."

"Is that wise? Wouldn’t we be too close to them without any neutral territory protection?" Kibum asked.

"Most of the less important members from both gangs do not know who we are. So its easy to sit by one and hear what we need without suspicion." Jongwoon explained as he looked at his clock on the table. "Its four in the afternoon. We can head over there around sevenish and get a good spot."

Kibum nodded. Jongwoon stood up suddenly and grabbed his coat.

"I have something to do, I'll be back here before then. Wait for me here." He ordered the younger.

"Very well." Kibum agreed with a nod.

Jongwoon stared at him suspiciously for a moment before taking off. Kibum knew this would be a great opportunity to follow the other to see where he was going but decided not to. Jongwoon left the station and went straight to Shinee Café. He needed to get a cup of his coffee and maybe figure out his feelings and thoughts for the younger. It was starting to drive him crazy. And if he was going to go into a place filled with both M and T members he needed his wits about him.

Entering the café he went straight to the counter. Taemin looked up at him with a small smile.

"Coffee Jongwoon-shi?" He questioned as he started on his drink of choice.

"Make it strong, I need it badly." Jongwoon replied as he leaned against the counter.

"You okay? You look like you have a lot on your mind." The young man said in a worried voice.

"More or less one thing on my mind, and its driving me crazy." Jongwoon admitted softly.

Taemin eyed him curiously but did not respond. He finished the drink and handed it to the detective. The man thanked him and went to the booth where he and Ryeowook sat during their little meeting the other day. As he sipped his drink he let his mind wandered again to the petite boy. There was something about the boy that really stuck out to the detective. It wasn’t the fact he was a member of a gang or even how he was one of Donghae's inner circle members. But The way his face brightened up when he was talking about cooking. Or how he was truly interested in Jongwoon's turtles. It made him...special to Jongwoon.

And that was very bad, for very obvious reasons.

As Jongwoon was lost in his thoughts he was unaware of the door opening to the café and a new person entering. The figure glanced around the room before spotting the detective sitting at the table. A slow evil smirk appeared on his face as he approached the man. When the figure was next to Jongwoon he cleared his throat.

"Well well well, what do we have here." He said in a smug voice.

When Jongwoon raised his eyes towards the shadow they widened in surprise.

"You!"