Chapter Forty Six

Super Junior Gangs

Kim Kibum found himself chuckling as he walked away from the chief's door. Jongwoon was normally such a calm and collected person that to see him react with such energy over a simple person was rather amusing to say the least. It was true he had never heard of the man before but he was rather curious about him. To be raved about so much by Jongwoon had to mean something. It's not like the detective had poor judgment or anything.

The younger detective went to his desk and sat down to look over some things on his desk. As he was scanning some paperwork a police officer came by with a manila folder in hand.

"Kibum-shi, the preliminary results for the Park Sunglee homicide case." He said as he held it up.

"Very good. You can set that on Jongwoon-shi's desk for now. He should be back shortly. Granted, if he is done being a major fan-girl now that is." Seeing the confused look from the other he laughed. "Sorry. It's just that there is some detective here named Jang WooHyuk and Jongwoon is beside himself over it."

"Jang WooHyuk? I've heard of him."

"Really?"

"Yeah, he is pretty famous around here. He is most famously known for his take down of H.O.T all those years ago. I wonder what brings him here. It seems…odd."

"Odd?" Kibum echoed as he looked up.

"Well don’t you find it odd that a man who hasn’t made any appearances to this place for years sudden makes an appearance?"

Kibum frowned at this.

"I don’t know much about WooHyuk-shi but I guess I can understand that."

"He is a brilliant man, no doubt about that. His sudden retirement and disappearance was surprising for everyone that was here…"

"Disappearance?"

"Well right after he retired he just packed up and left. No one had any idea where he went to. Some say he went to America some say China, but he left no way for anyone to contact him either. So I wonder how he was able to get back into contact again. That's why I say it's odd. But that is all I can say on it. They don’t pay me enough to solve the mysteries. That is your job."

"Thanks." Kibum replied sarcastically.

The officer gave a small smile and turned and left. Kibum stared at the folder with a frown on his face. He didn’t see anything odd about WooHyuk a minute ago but now he was suspicious. Turning on his computer he opened the database and typed the man's name in. The records were well documented and detailed. And told him basically what he already knew. WooHyuk was a young detective who fifteen years ago was responsible for the disbandment of H.O.T. He never arrested any of the main members of the gang, and interestingly enough there was no documentation of who those men were. As involved with the case he was it was surprising that no one was named at least once inside. Or how big or small the inner circle of the gang was. The more Kibum read the more suspicious he was getting. He knew he couldn’t ask Jongwoon about this, the man was clearly too biased about the situation. So he needed to look more into this on his own. As he started to type something else into the system a second officer came running up to his desk. He was sweating and clearly out of breath from where ever he ran from. And a very unusual pale color as well. Kibum looked up at him in concern.

"Officer, what is the matter."

"There…is…someone….here….for….you." He panted as he dropped his hands to his knees.

"Who? He must be important if you are so out of breath."

"Choi Siwon."

It took a second for the name to register but once it did Kibum was quickly out of his seat.

"WHAT!"

The officer gave a nod and began to walk towards where he had come from. Kibum quickly fell into step with the man.

"You're telling me a member of M just came waltzing in to our station and wants to talk to me?"

"Yes sir. He was adamant that it was you he spoke to, no one else."

"This day is just getting weirder and weirder." Kibum muttered.

The pair arrived at the front of the station where in fact Siwon was standing. The man had a calm and casual look to him and seemed unconcerned of where he was actually standing. Once he saw the detective he offered him a bright charming smile.

"Hello again Detective." He greeted with a wave. "How are you?"

"Choi Siwon, what in the world are you doing here?"

"Now detective, is that any way to talk to someone who came here on their own accord? You sound like you are displeased to see me."

"So sorry. I didn’t realize you coming would require me to roll out the red carpet."

"It doesn’t, but manners would be a nice start."

"Cut the Choi. Why are you here?"

"To chat with you detective. Nothing more, nothing less."

"To chat? One of M's main members has made his way here to just have friendly chat? I don’t believe you."

"Well you should. But I suppose I can understand the trust issue. What if I have something to say about Park Sunglee. Would you be willing to listen to me then?"

Kibum's eyes narrowed dangerously at this. He took a step close to the man and glared at him.

"How do you know about Sunglee?"

"Well let's find out about it, shall we?"

"I could arrest you right now."

"On what grounds? I have come with information, not a confession. And I came willingly. Don’t get ahead of yourself detective."

Kibum shot him a look but didn’t comment. Taking a step back he turned to the officer who informed him about Siwon.

"Please Siwon-shi to the interrogating room B. I will get Detective Jongwoon and meet you there."

"No need for that. I just wish to talk with you detective." Siwon interrupted flippantly. Kibum glanced at him before giving a small nod.

"Very well. I will be in shortly."

Siwon followed the officer inside the building without any fuss. In fact he seemed oddly relaxed for a known criminal to be stepping inside wiling to a police station. It was almost as if he knew he was going to be able to leave the office as soon as he was done with whatever he needed to say. Kibum wanted to make sure that didn’t happen. He finally had a member of one of the gangs they were wanting to take down, and he needed to make sure he stayed there. Preferably behind steel bars. Kibum went to his desk and grabbed his tape recorder and note pad. Glancing across the room he noted that Jongwoon was still inside the office excitingly chatting with WooHyuk. So he had plenty of time to chat with Siwon before the older detective noticed. He went back to the interrogating room and looked inside through the double sided mirror. Siwon was leaning casually in the chair with an almost bored look on his face. He had a cup of coffee in a Styrofoam cup on the table but he barely touched it. Kibum gathered his thoughts and entered the room.

"I am a man who has little time to be playing games." He started as took a seat across from the gang member. "So let's cut through the chit chat and you tell me exactly why you are here and why should I even be bothering listening to you."

"I can see you are not in a joking mood, so I won't waste your time detective." Siwon decided with a smile. "Let me start by saying I am not the enemy. Well for this time around anyways. Donghae is someone who likes to do things his own way but he does have some dignity as well."

"Dignity?"

"Well yes. There are certain rules one has to follow when running their own gang. It is more than just storming in and killing people and getting territory to call their own. You would be surprised to know that there is more to it than that. We may not work on the same side of the law as normal citizens but we also know not to through large messes to people to deal with either."

"So I should be grateful that you only kill when necessary?" Kibum scoffed.

"You are still new here, but know this. We play rather clean for being a gang. We could easily have your streets run with blood." Siwon said with a sinister grin.

Kibum shivered at this. There was something about Siwon's smile that unnerved him. Like it was something they could easily do. He didn’t allow himself to comment at this but gave a short nod.

"So what do you have that has to do with Sunglee's murder?" He asked instead.

Siwon's eyes shot up in surprise. Kibum raised his own curiously.

"Wait, what did you say?" He asked bewildered.

"I'm asking what information you have on Sunglee's death. Is that not why you are here?" He questioned.

"Sunglee is dead? Since when?" Siwon practically yelled.

"Since this morning. I thought that is why you were here." Now Kibum was confused. If Siwon didn’t know about the man's death than what business did he have at the station.

"No. I only came to talk about his debt collectors. I knew nothing of his death." Siwon replied as he shook his head. "This is all news to me."

"And why should I believe you? There is evidence showing that he owed you a debt. And that he wasn’t paying, so perhaps you killed him in retaliation."

"That doesn’t make any sense. Why would we kill him? A dead man can't pay us back. We would rather use other means to get the money back." Siwon explained calmly.

"Like perhaps using his son as collateral?" Kibum questioned instead, remembering the missing youth.

"Exactly. But that is not why I am here." Siwon said as he seemed to calm down. "I came to talk to you about the other debt collector."

"The other?"

"Yes, you probably noticed it. A second series of letters with a different insignia than our own." Siwon explained as he leaned back into the chair. "The silver one signed by the name Kris."

"You seem to know a lot about this." Kibum replied back. "But what of it."

"Kris is the leader of the gang called EXO. They are a newer gang who have been gaining momentum in the underworld."

"And why should I concern myself with this."

"Because detective, if you think Donghae is bad than these men are the devils themselves." Siwon replied seriously. Kibum wanted to scoff again but was stopped by the serious look on the man's face.

"And why should I listen to you?"

"M at least has some moral code of conduct we follow. We know where the limit is and when to pull back. But these men do not. They have already killed a man for not paying back a debt, which means they don’t care if they get the money back at all. They have no problem killing either. This may not seem like anything now, but they are dangerous. Very dangerous men. And to be honest, you would rather have us as your main problem. Because we predict that when EXO makes their first big move, many people will suffer from it."

"I refuse to side with criminals."

"I am not asking you to side with us. I am telling you to get your head out of your and be on guard. We don’t know enough about EXO to figure their next move but you probably will be able to. And you should really consider yourself lucky we are even giving you a heads up at all."

Kibum twirled his pen in his hands as he stared at Siwon. There was a contemplative look on his face as he considered what the other had said. On the one had he could be blowing smoke to get the police on a wild goose chase and away from M and Donghae. But there was way too much evidence saying that he was being rather truthful on the matter. There was definitely someone named Kris out there and he was in charge of this gang called EXO. And judging by Siwon's actions, they were someone to be alerted about.

"If I was to believe you on this." He began after a moment. "What should I do?"

"Be informed. Gather up any information you can about EXO and prepare for the worst. If we cannot get an upper hand than you will need to be ready." Siwon told him with a serious look on his face.

Kibum stared at him blankly before finally allowing a nod to cross his head. He tapped his pen on the table before jotting something down about EXO on the notepad.  Looking up he saw Siwon seemed to relax at this. Leaning back in his chair he observed the other with a calculated look.

"Was there anything else you wised to discuss with me Siwon-shi?" He questioned calmly.

"No detective. That was the main issue. And now that it was said I guess I will be going now."

"Hold on there. Who says you are leaving?"

Siwon's eyes narrowed.

"I already told you, you cannot hold me here after I am done talking. I came here on my own and have not confessed to anything. You are to let me leave." Siwon said darkly.

"You may not have confessed to anything but you did indicate that you are involved with Sunglee's sons disappearance. And so I wish to keep you here to question you on this." Kibum declared calmly.

Siwon looked ready to kill him and Kibum had to make sure he didn’t shiver in fear from the look. He was about to stand up when there was a sudden knock at the door. He was barely able to say anything when the door opened and the chief poked his head in. He took a good look at Siwon before turning to the detective.

"Let him go Kibum." He said calmly.

"Excuse me? But Chief!"

"I said let him go." The man interrupted with a glare. "That is an order Kibum."

Kibum deflated from the glare and looked away.

"Yes sir." He turned to Siwon. "I guess you are free to go."

Siwon barely gave him a look before he swiftly left the room. Kibum was left inside with the chief. He was practically shaking from anger. He finally had a member of M in his grasp and the man was able to walk free. He turned to the older man and glared.

"Why did we let him go!" He shouted in anger. "He knows something about Sunglee's case. And we just let him walk!"

"Kibum I understand that you are angry but you need to realize something. You were in no positon to fight Siwon today. He may have known something but he already told us something more important."

"You mean EXO?"

"Yes. And when it comes to gangs you will learn that sometimes you have to let something pass for a bigger picture. From the sound of it Sunglee's death was only the beginning. We need to focus on the bigger issue, which is EXO. Not M. Stand down now, and you will see how in the future it will be for the better."

The detective gave a nod and left the detective to his thoughts. Kibum was still angry about the whole thing. Allowing that anger to get the better of him he grabbed his chair and threw it at the wall. The chair made a loud clatter as it hit the wall and fell to the ground. Grumbling he stormed out of the room as well and back ot his desk. He was not too surprised to see Jongwoon was already there and so was WooHyuk. The older man glanced at Kibum and smiled.

"You have a look of someone who was told something you didn’t want to hear." He said calmly.

"That is putting it mildly."

"Don’t worry Kibum-shi." WooHyuk said with a grin. "Sometimes it's better to let the small fish get away in order to get the bigger prize."