Chapter Twenty Two

Super Junior Gangs

Jongwoon sat at his desk with the folder that Donghae had given him, held in his hands. The man has not made any arrests yet as he tried to decide how much he actually believed what the M leader gave him. It was suspiciously too easy to have all this evidence just dropped into his lap like that, even if it was so the police would stop blaming the M gang for the murders at the river. It was out of character of Donghae who had no  problem pushing the limits against the police. To suddenly play nice with them was an oddity in itself. Jongwoon had to proceed very carefully with his next move. Tilting his chair back he stared up at the ceiling with a pensive look on his face. In his hands he was twirling a pen he was previously holding.

He was so focused on his thoughts he didn’t realize Kibum had entered their work area. His partner stood to the side and watched the detective lost in thought. Apparently Kibum was bored waiting for Jongwoon to notice him because he took the files in his hands and loudly slammed them down on the desk causing Jongwoon to jerk back in surprise. Unfortunately he had his chair tilted to far back and the jerk caused his whole body to fall back and straight to the floor. The crash it caused the other officers and detectives in the room to stare over in confusion.

"Jongwoon-shi, are you alright?" A younger officer asked in concern.

"I'm fine, I'm fine!" Jongwoon called as he waved off everyone's concern. Getting back to his feet he brought his chair upright again. "It was my fault, I was leaning back to far. Now I know why my mother always told me not to do that."

Everyone chuckled at this and went back to their work. Jongwoon waited until he knew everyone in the office was focused on their own stuff before turning an eye to his partner.

"You know, Kibum-shi, there are nicer ways to get my attention." He said calmly.

"Yeah, but not as entertaining." Kibum replied with a toothy smile. The young detective took his seat across from Jongwoon. "You seemed rather lost in thought, what's on your mind?"

"Just the evidence that Donghae gave us."

"Do you not trust it?" Kibum questioned as he leaned back in his chair. "I am rather suspicious of it myself. It seems too easy if you ask me."

"I agree, even if it was meant to get us off M's back. I'm surprised they chose who they did."

"To go after 2PM is a daring move. They are not as well-known as T and M or even Big Bang, but they are not rookies either. If this is all a lie we could start a massive gang war throughout the entire Seoul region."

"And we would be right in the middle of it."

Jongwoon fiddled again with the pen in his hands as he thought over what his partner had said. If this was all a lie for Donghae to get them off the M's back then the detectives could walk right into a trap. At the same time this could be a rare opportunity to put a dangerous man behind bars. As the two sat there in silence they were unaware of their Chief coming to their desks. The older man watched their zoned out faces for a minute or two before clearing his throat to get their attention. Right away they jumped to their feet and saluted.

"Sir!" They said at the same time.

"At ease boys, I was just coming over to see why you two had such perplexed looks on your faces."

"We are going over some evidence about a case and were discussing our findings." Jongwoon said as vague as possible.

"Let me see the report."

Jongwoon handed over the folder he received from Donghae. It probably was a bad idea to hand something like that to his Chief as he didn’t know how he would answer if the older man inquired where he gained all the evidence from. But at the same time it was a perfect opportunity to pass the decision making to someone of higher seniority. He figured the decorative Chief would notice the oddness of the evidence that neither Jongwoon or Kibum could notice. The Chief went over the paperwork for a few minutes before raising his eyes to the two detectives.

"How long have you had this folder?" He questioned them curiously.

"A week perhaps. We had recently received it and were working through the evidence." Jongwoon explained to the best of his ability.

 "So you've had some pretty straight forward evidence in putting this guy behind bars and you haven't sent a warrant for his arrest why?" The man continued to ask.

"Well…you see sir…" Jongwoon was at a lost. How to explain to their chief that the evidence they received was actually from the gang leader that they were also trying to put behind bars. He didn’t know what to say about his conversation with Donghae and knew if he began to it would open up a whole barrel of questions he was not ready to answer yet. He looked to Kibum for help. The younger detective looked as if he bit into something rather sour and also seemed to have nothing to say. Jongwoon decided to go with his gut on it.
"It seemed rather clean cut for someone who is a gang member." Jongwoon admitted.

"I understand your suspicions but the evidence is all here. This is enough in any court of law. Get some officers and arrest him. Now." The chief ordered as he dropped the folder on Jongwoon's desk.

"Sir." The two replied.

The Chief nodded his head to them before dismissing them. He then turned to go back to his office. The two detectives looked at each other for a moment before Jongwoon sighed and reached for his coat.

"Well you heard the man, let's get some officers and head after him."

"All right." Kibum agreed before turning to the officers lingering in the room.

"Son-Bo! Chang-su! You're coming with us!" He called to two officers who were at their desks.

The two officers stood up and saluted the detectives. Grabbing their own stuff they quickly followed the detectives out the door.

The drive to the location where it was said that Kim Soo-Hee was last scene was silent. The two detectives were deep in thought and the officers were almost afraid to break the silence with anything and so stayed quiet as well. When they arrived at the apartment complex that Soo-Hee apparently lived in the car pulled to a stop and Jongwoon cleared his throat.

"Now pay attention. This is going to be an straight forward assignment. We are here to just arrest Kim Soo-Hee and no one else. But since he is a member of 2PM I expect things to be difficult. So pay close attention to your surroundings."

The two officers nodded their confirmation to the detective. The four of them left the car in the parking lot and made their way into the apartment complex. Jongwoon took the lead as he made his way to the information counter. After flashing his police badge to the attendant and a few choice words, he was able to get the apartment number of their suspect and went towards the elevator. The ride up to the seventh floor was silent as the group was left to their own thoughts.

When the elevator pinged at their destination the group left the small box and went down the narrow hallway. Judging by the interior of the hallway it was obvious that this particular complex was one of the nicer ones. The carpet looked newer and the lighting was fresh and inviting. Soo-Hee apparently was well taken care for by his gang. Jongwoon paid little attention to the décor of the place as he eyed each number they passed in their walk. When they came to the one he needed he stopped.

"Here we are. Apartment number 218." He said to the others.

Right away the group could there was a problem. The door to the apartment was open. All four of them reached for their guns and held them ready. Jongwoon nodded to Kibum who pushed the door open with his gun.

"Kim Soo-Hee! This is the Seoul police department." He called into the seemingly empty apartment.

The group exchanged looks as nothing replied to them. Nodding in sync the group slowly entered the apartment. In an organized fashion they made their way into the apartment. They first passed the kitchen and determining that it was empty went into the living room. The room was also empty and clean. So the four of them broke off into two groups. Kibum and one of the officers went to the left and Jongwoon with his officer went the other direction.

Jongwoon entered Soo-Hee's bedroom and noticed right away the dead body on the floor. Glancing around to make sure it was empty he approached the body. At first glance he could tell right away it was their suspect. The 2PM gang member was laying curled up on the ground. His head had bullet wound at his temple and there was blood splatters all around him. In his hands was his gun and along the rim of it he could see traces of blood as well. Sighing he lowered his gun and pulled out his phone. Behind him, Jongwoon could hear Kibum entering.

"The rest of the apartment is clear, no sign of Soo-Hee…Is that our man?" Kibum asked, pointing to the dead body.

"Yeah, it looks like suicide. I'm calling the department to send a crew over. Go do a preliminary search for evidence."

Kibum nodded and began to pull out his gloves form his pocket. Pulling out a notepad as well he put the surgical gloves on and began taking small notes about the state of the room. Jongwoon kept him in his sights as he spoke to the officer on the phone. Briefly explaining their situation he was assured that a team would be there in a few minutes. Hanging up the phone he turned his attention to his partner.

"What is your basic understanding of this?"

"It looks like there was no struggle in the room. Nor does it look like anyone was here besides Soo-Hee. But that doesn’t add up to the fact his door was left open when we arrived."

"And his death?"

"It’s a simple bullet to the head. I bet the bullet will match the gun perfectly. But we should know more after the autopsy. But it looks like a straight forward suicide."

"Very good."

"But what do we do now Jongwoon?" Kibum asked softly. "This man was our main suspect in the case. And now he is dead. By his own design or by the hand of another, he is dead."

"I know Kibum. I know. However I don’t know what we will do about it just yet. But it seems we are being led down a particular path. And must decide which road to take…" Jongwoon replied as he stared at the dead corpus in front of him.