Chapter Twenty Five

Super Junior Gangs

Kim Jongwoon bit at the end of his pencil as he stared at the report in front of him. He was supposed to finish his report about the Soo-Hee death and the conclusion of the five murders at the Han River but his gaze kept drifting towards his cell phone on his desk. He had sent a text the other day to Ryeowook and has yet to hear back from the younger. Was the M member already regretting his decision to spend more time with the detective. He knew that it was a risk for both of them to continue their bubbling relationship but he was still willing to risk it all to learn more about the younger. Something about Ryeowook really tugged at him and pulled his towards the younger. Deciding to push the M member from his mind, he hunched over his report and began jotting down the final information needed. He worked uninterrupted for a good thirty minutes and was finishing the last of it when his phone buzzed on his desk. Putting down the pencil he reached over and picked up the small device.

'Let's meet in two days' time at the Han River. I'll be waiting.' The text read from a particular Jasmine.

'I'll be there.' Jongwoon replied back before he could second guess himself.

There was no reply, not that he was expecting one. And for the rest of the day his phone was silent of any messages. But with a meeting planned Jongwoon was a little giddy. With a small grin he was able to get through the rest of his paper work and send it off to his Chief. He was in high spirits and it was something that Kibum did not miss.

"Who put sugar in your coffee today?" The younger detective asked as he approached their desks. "I'm gone for ten minutes and you look like you're going to be sprouting rainbows soon."

"Sorry just happy I guess."

"I wonder about what. You got some hot date coming up or something?" Kibum teased.

Jongwoon coughed to hide his laughter. A 'hot date' with Ryeowook? He was pretty sure the younger would be rather surprised with such a suggestion. And he was beginning to see his partner was loosening up around him more. The jokes and sarcasm were being thrown out more than when they first met. He was actually beginning to like the kid, just a little. He shook his head at his partner's antics.

"I am meeting up with a friend is all." He lightly lied. "And I'm excited to see them again."

That second one wasn’t so much a lie.

"Sounds like someone special. You are sprouting daisies with all the sunshine and happiness you are showing."

"You could say that. And you are rather happy today too I might add. You are shooting those jokes out rather fast today."

"Not really, I just feel really relaxed today. It must be the fact that Friday is around the corner."

Jongwoon laughed at that. Kibum was defiantly someone who enjoyed his weekends to their fullest. He nodded as well. Weekends were always fun, especially this weekend since he was going to see Ryeowook again.  All he had to do was get through the next two days and it would be worth it.

***

The next couple of days went by as a blur for Jongwoon. There was luckily no cases for him to have his full attention on and he was able to daydream more than normal. His partner seemed to pick up on his absentmindedness and picked up his work the older left undone. Soon it was finally the end of the week. The two of them gathered up their stuff and made their way to the door.

"I'd ask you out for a couple of drinks but you probably want to get ready to see your friend right?" Kibum asked with a grin.

"Yeah, but we can on Saturday or Sunday if you want."

"Maybe. Have a good weekend Jongwoon-shi."

"You too Kibum-ah."

Jongwoon gave a short wave as he went the opposite direction of his partner. The weather was nice so that he decided to walk. His apartment was only a couple of miles away from the station. A newer building, a lot of the residents were people with well-paying jobs and decent families. He has lived there for several years, ever since he got  a position at the Seoul Police Department.  It was a nice place to live and Jongwoon felt like he could live there well after his time in the department.

Entering the large building, he gave a polite smile and nod to the doorman and made his way to the elevator. When he got to his floor he had to side step out of the way of two little boys racing each other down the hallway. An apartment door a few down from his own was open and the boys' father was standing in the doorway.

"Good evening Jongwoon-shi. Were my boys in your way just now?" He called out with a wave.

"It's all right Soo-Lee-shi. They were not in the way. I hope I didn’t ruin their race." He called back cheerfully.

"Aish those two, they probably didn’t even notice you. Anyways, how have you been? We haven't seen  you around lately."

"Been busy with a couple of cases but my work load should lighten up a bit now."

"That's good to hear, you shouldn’t work so much. Your too young for that. You need a girlfriend to keep you distracted. If you like, I'm sure my wife can introduce you to some sweet girls."

Jongwoon laughed at this. He was one of the only single people in his apartment complex and all the residents tried to hook him up with different blind dates so he would also have a girlfriend. The detective went on all those dates to please the neighbors but he never felt anything for any of the girls. But he had a feeling those girls felt the same way. None of them called him after the dates either.

"Perhaps another time, I have plans for tonight already."

"Is she pretty? Well if you have a date tonight I better let you go and get ready then. We will chat another time Jongwoon-shi."

Jongwoon bowed to the elder, a grin curling at the edge of his lips. Again people are assuming his meeting with Ryeowook is a date. Granted none of them needed to know that his plans involved one of the most powerful gangs in Seoul but it still made him grin. He was debating if he should tell Ryeowook any of this, it would probably get an interesting reaction from the smaller man.

He will first have to make sure the younger is not armed either.

Chuckling the detective gave his farewell and went the rest of the way to his apartment. Opening the door he stepped inside and released a sigh, his whole body naturally relaxing from being inside his home.  Dropping his coat on the couch he made his way deeper in the house to his office. The room was dimly lit and had minimal furniture in it. But the most important part of his office was the large tank near the closet of the room. Smiling Jongwoon crouched down and looked inside the tank at the most important people in his lives.

"Hello everyone, daddy's home." He called down to his pets.

Three different size turtles were scattered along the inside of the glass tank. One was resting on top of a large rock, the smallest was hiding in his shell by the back wall. And the largest turtle was grazing on some food on the other. Jongwoon grinned at them and reached down to run his head along the largest turtles head.

"Ddangkoma you are getting bigger and bigger. Pretty soon you will need your own tank." He commented cheerfully.

The turtle barely made any motion that he heard Jongwoon but the detective didn’t mind. There was something about his pets that had a calming effect on him. And it made all his day worries slip away when he was with them. Not many people at the station knew about his pets, it would cause some unneeded chatter amongst the other officers and Jongwoon was already considered an oddity with his coworkers. The detective recounted his day with the pets, nearly forgetting the time. When he did glance at the clock in his office he freaked when he realized he barely had any time to get ready before he had to meet up with Ryeowook. There was no time really placed but the detective had a feeling that close to 9PM would be an accurate time for a gang member to meet up with a detective. And if not then he would just have to wait.

Jongwoon made a quick bite to eat and went into his bathroom to wash up. Spraying a little cologne on his neck he grabbed his keys and gun and made his way back out of the apartment. Locking the door he quickly and quietly made his way out of the apartment complex and towards the Han River. The weather that night was the right temperature between warm and cool. And there was not a lot of people out that late at night enjoying it. Moving quickly, the detective made his way to the river and found a spot on a bench where there was plenty of light and away enough from the street and curious eyes. Sitting down Jongwoon glanced at his phone for the time and took a deep breath. Stretching his feet out in front of him, he kept himself relaxed and alert as he waited.

Kim Jongwoon probably sat there close to an hour before Ryeowook made his appearance. The park was completely dark except for the area that Jongwoon picked and the gangster was able to approach him without being seen. He stood behind the detective and gave him a tap on the shoulder which caused the older to jump out of the chair in fright. Ryeowook stifled a laugh at the look on Jongwoon's face.

"Well aren't you the jumpy type." He teased with a grin.

"You surprised me is all." Jongwoon replied sheepishly.

Ryeowook chuckled at this and went around the bench. Sitting on one end of the bench he smiled at Jongwoon and patted the seat next to him. Jongwoon sighed and took the seat as he stretched out his legs again. It was obvious he was embarrassed at his fright from earlier and didn’t have anything to say to Ryeowook to take back the moment. It was endearing to see him sulky like that and Ryeowook worked hard to not start giggling again at the man's actions. The two sat in silence for a few minutes before Jongwoon was finally able to get his embarrassment under control. Clearing his throat he turned to Ryeowook who was enjoying looking out at the river.

"How have you been?" He questioned the younger.

"Busy," The other replied off handedly. It was an agreement between the two to not talk too much about work. "The usual."

"Same, mostly desk work and I hate desk work. It's just staring at paper work and typing reports and drinking way too much office coffee."

"What's so bad about that?"

"The office coffee is horrible. I prefer Shinee's coffee to that crap any day." Jongwoon explained as he made a face.

Ryeowook laughed at that. It was obvious that Jongwoon took his coffee very seriously. The two of them continued chatting about everything they could under the moon. There a sort of bond between them that was beginning to grow and strengthen.  Jongwoon found himself caring more what the younger was saying and thinking. He was interested in everything about him.  About what he said, did, and who he was. Jongwoon was beginning to fall for the younger.

"I like you." Jongwoon blurted out at one point.

There was a long silence as Ryeowook stared at him blankly. Jongwoon realized that he probably spoke way too soon. He began to wave his arms in front of him as if to take away what he just said a frantic look appearing on his face. Ryeowook raised an eyebrow at this and reached up to grab the flailing limbs. Jongwoon stopped his movements and watched in baited breath as Ryeowook slid his hands down the detective's arms and grasped his hands. Ryeowook stared at the connected hands while Jongwoon stared at the younger man. Finally he looked up and Jongwoon felt his breath leave him again. Ryeowook was truly breath taking, especially in the moon light.

"I like you too Jongwoon." Ryeowook confessed softly.

"You do?"

Ryeowook nodded.

"I almost shouldn’t, but there is something about you. I have thought about you a lot lately to the point of almost missing something important happening right in front of me. I'm surprised Donghae has not caught on yet, but I think there is some suspicion going on with others. But for some reason. I want to risk it with you."

"I feel the same way. And it's almost scary what it all means. But when I'm with you I just want to throw caution in the wind. I want to risk everything with you."

Ryeowook stared up at him and nodded. He squeezed the hands and offered a smile. A small soft smile that made his face look angelic. Jongwoon smiled back just as gently. For them the smile was the beginning of something new. The beginning of them risking it all.