Chapter Fifty Five

Super Junior Gangs

Jongwoon sipped on his coffee as he read through the file that Yunho had given him last week. There was a lot of information inside and it was taking the detective awhile to shift through all of it. Yunho was not one to waste any time or effort and the file was proving to be quite useful for the detectives. Changmin was able to gather some interesting information about their EXO group, even some things that Jongwoon was unaware of. But even with all of the information there was still something that was bothering the detective. One, what exactly EXO was planning. And a more important two, why was Yunho helping them to bring him down. Was EXO really the problem? Or was there something else that Yunho did not want him to learn? There were so many questions and so little time for him to figure it out. Looking up he watched as an equally stressed Kibum flipped through his own file and mark things down. The younger seemed to sense him staring and looked up.

"What is it? Did you find something new or useful?" He asked.

"There is a lot of new and useful things in here. Changmin was not the type to not be useful. But no, I was thinking about something else. Do you find it odd that Yunho is so bent on taking EXO out? There are a lot of gangs in Seoul, and it seems daily that new ones are popping up left and right. So why is he after this particular one?"

"I've been wondering that for a while. But from what I learned from you, questioning TVXQ's motives was not something we did here."

"I always question Yunho's motives. I just don’t always act against them. Normally TVXQ's plans are in our best interest as well. But this time something seems odd. Yunho is being careful. If he was really wanting EXO out he would have already sent Jaejoong in to annihilate them. He has never had a problem in the past letting the assassin create a blood bath. But this time he is hiding behind M and T. And he seems content with whatever they are planning. But he also wants us involved as well."

"Do you think he is using us?"

"Completely. We are nothing but chess pieces for him. Yunho is making sure we are all in the exact places he wants us to be in. But for what I am not sure."

Kibum seemed rather concerned about this. Not that Jongwoon could blame him. It was obvious something was up. Yunho was preparing for an all-out war against EXO. And they were going to be a part of it, one way or another. Jongwoon needed to figure out what their part was, and fast. He had no desire being Yunho's pawns. He looked back at the file with renewed energy. Kibum had a bemused smile before he also went back. The pair continued to shift through the paperwork for another hour before they were interrupted by someone approaching. Jongwoon looked up and had to smile when he saw Woohyuk at their desks.

"Hello Woohyuk-shi, how can we help you?" He asked politely.

"I couldn’t help but notice all the extra work you have been putting in lately and got curious." The famed detective said with a smile. "What are you so engrossed with? Does it have to do with M and T?"

"Oh, well not exactly." Jongwoon admitted. "We are actually pretty busy with a new gang that has been causing some issues lately."

"Who is that?"

"They call themselves EXO."

There was a change in WooHyuk's face at the mention of the name. It was small and almost unnoticeable, but it was definitely there. A twitch of the cheek and something darkening in the eyes. But as quickly as it happened, it was gone. So Jongwoon decided not to comment on it. Kibum took over after the pause.

"They are very similar to M though. We have noticed that EXO seems to be using the same playbook as the gang. But that is where it ends. They don’t seem to be working together. And EXO is becoming an increasingly nuisance. Have you heard of them?"

WooHyuk shook his head at them.

"No they are too new for me to know. But I can look into it if you think it will help."

Jongwoon shook his head and smiled politely.

"No thanks WooHyuk-shi. I think we will be fine." He said. Across from his Kibum gave him a look which he knew meant he couldn’t believe the detective was not accepting help. But something told him not too. It was clear that Woohyuk knew about EXO and was pretending he didn’t. But what the older detective knew was still a mystery, and yet Jongwoon knew it would be best to do things his own way. At least until he knew what was going on.

Woohyuk nodded his head and shoulders offered the detective a smile. He clasped him on the shoulder.

"Well if you do want the extra hand let me know." He told them.

"Thanks." Jongwoon replied as he watched him go.

Kibum waited until WooHyuk was completely out of earshot before turning to his partner. He placed both hands on the desk and leaned close.

"I am assuming there is a reason why you are suddenly not turning to WooHyuk for assistance?" He whispered.

Jongwoon nodded. Glancing over his shoulder to double check he turned to his partner as well.

"Something is wrong. Didn’t you see it? He knows something, and he is lying about what it is."

Kibum's eyes widened.

"You don’t trust him?"

"Not so much not trusting, just something is off. There is more to it than what is being told. I think for now we should keep what we know about EXO between the two of us."

Kibum nodded at this and went back to his paperwork. Jongwoon did the same but his mind was not on what he was reading. Instead, it was back to the reaction WooHyuk made at the mention of EXO. From what Jongwoon knew about him, WooHyuk was a well-informed man during his glory years. He was always one step ahead of the enemy and seemed to always be at the right place at the right time. That would obviously mean that WooHyuk would have to have a huge list of informants. And just because he went quiet for a long time, Jongwoon doubted that he would allowed all of those informants to disappear. Which means that he should still be well in tuned with everything going on in the underworld, and be informed about who EXO was. So his reaction was very suspicious to Jongwoon. The detective turned to look over his shoulder to where he saw the older man sitting at a table drinking coffee. Standing up he told his partner he was getting some air and walked out of the police station. He decided that coffee was the best idea at the moment and made his way over to Shinee.

The café was relatively empty, which made sense since it was midday when the detective entered. And he was rather glad about it as well. Less people meant less need to keep his guard up. He just wanted a simple cup of coffee and think. Walking up to the counter he shot a small smile to Onew who was running the counter.

"The usual Detective?" The man asked calmly.

"Thanks." Jongwoon replied with a nod. He turned to look around the rather empty café while his favorite cup was being made.  Onew hummed softly as he made the cup and placed it in the counter in front of the detective. When Jongwoon made to thank him he tapped the counter softly.

"You look like you have something on your mind detective. Is everything all right?" He asked calmly.

"Yeah, just working on a case right now." Jongwoon paused and glanced at the man. "Say Onew what can you tell me about EXO?"

Onew blinked but his facial expression didn’t really change much. He took the money from the detective and put it in the drawer before he final spoke.

"EXO is far more dangerous than I think anyone realizes." He said softly. "If you are planning on getting involved in this mess I hope you have a good plan in mind. Otherwise you will be destroyed." He glanced around the café before lowering his voice. "They are even worrying Yunho. He has ordered us to be on guard but to not get involved yet."

Jongwoon was surprised about this. This was a lot of information for Onew to reveal for him and he knew he could trust it. Because if Onew told him something, it was the truth. The man needed both the gangs and the police to be on his side for his work to continue on. He nodded to show his understanding to the man.

"Is there anything else I should know right now?"

"Be careful of who you chose to ally yourself with right now. Not everyone is working towards the same goals and someone you may trust may be aiming for a different agenda."

Jongwoon frowned. So he was right about the suspicious nature of WooHyuk. The detective was not telling him something. He wanted to sigh, he was really hoping to work with the man on the case. If more for his respect to the man.

"I understand." Jongwoon said softly.

The two moved apart when the familiar jingle at the door rang. Looking towards the door Jongwoon was surprised to see the youngest member of Donghae's gang walk in. Onew was not, in fact he looked as if expecting him.

"You done stalking for the day Henry?" He called out calmly as he began making a smoothie at the counter.

"Yeah, nothing new to report." Henry replied before looking at the detective. He had a confused look on his face before offering a polite bow. "And you are?"

"Detective Jongwoon." The man replied with a grin.

The wide eyed look that appeared on Henry's face made him chuckle. It was obvious the man had not been around him but knows exactly who he is. He glanced between Onew and Jongwoon as if wondering what he was supposed to do or say. Jongwoon decided to give the kid a break and turned to Onew.

"Thanks for the coffee." He said even though they both knew it was more than the coffee that he was thanking the Shinee man about.

"Please come again." Onew replied with a small bow.

Jongwoon grabbed his coffee and made his way past Henry. He was tempted to make a comment but he needed to get back to the station so he could talk to Kibum. The man, although probably won't like where he got the information, needed to be kept up to date with everything. And maybe he can help him decide what to do about WooHyuk as well.