Chapter Twenty

Super Junior Gangs

When Henry Lau was introduced to Lee Donghae it was the same scenario as he was currently use to. He had somehow pissed of the leader of the M gang and was faced with a barrel of a gun. The M gang was at his aunt and uncles dumpling shop for a meal after meeting with some of their contacts. Henry was on just his third day in the shop when the men all entered. It was an intimidating experience watching Lee Donghae enter, being flanked by his men on both sides. At the time, something Henry didn't find out until years later, Donghae had just taken control of the gang and it was his first time as the Leader. The man was already a brash person and so when Henry tripped on the floor and dumped all the glasses of water all over him, Donghae was quick to pull out his gun and aimed it at the terrified boy.

"You piece of ! I should kill you right now for getting me wet!" Donghae had all but snarled at the quivering man.

To this day, Henry believed he was going to die. He didn’t know much about Donghae but what he did was not a comforting thought. He wasn’t even able to defend himself or apologize, so much he was afraid of the gun in between his eyes. But he did have a savior that day. In the form of Kim Ryeowook.

"Donghae, please don’t kill him." The young man had said at the time. He crouched next to the frozen Chinese boy. "He obviously didn’t mean it, I mean look at him. He's still just a pup. Let him live."

"But Wook, I'm all wet." Donghae complained to the younger man.

"It's water Donghae, it will come out." The other replied calmly. "Please, let him go."

There was a terse moment as everyone in the shop watched Donghae. He seemed to be contemplating the matter rather seriously. For a split second, Henry felt that fear of death again, but it passed when Donghae lowered his gun. He glared at the kid a final time before turning on his heel and going towards the bathroom. An older Chinese man followed after him. When the two were gone Ryeowook offered the other a smile.

"Are you okay? I hope Donghae didn’t scare you too much. He's actually not that bad of a person, he is just really stressed at the moment."

"No..it was my fault. I am normally not such a clumsy person. I actually am a dancer!" Henry explained, finishing with a bright smile.

"Well aren't you adorable." Ryeowook said with a chuckle. He leaned over and pinched the other on the cheek. Normally Henry would be annoyed with being treated like a child but he didn’t mind when Ryeowook did it. "What is your name?"

"My name is Henry. Henry Lau!" He introduced himself with a bow.

"Henli?" The other repeated with a mistake in pronouncing the name. "That is not a normal Chinese name right?"

"I was born in Canada and moved here just a few years ago. My parents never gave me a Chinese name, just my English name. I like it though." He explained, remembering for a brief moment his parents who had passed away recently. "What is your name gege?"

"I'm Kim Ryeowook." The other had introduced himself with a small smile. He seemed fond of Henry, everyone there could easily tell.

Henry wanted to ask more questions but at that moment Donghae and the other Chinese man came back. Donghae stared at Henry for a moment before sighing. Running a hand though his hair he shot the boy a glare.

"Why are you still here? Do you like being threatened by guns?"

"Oh be nice Donghae." Ryeowook scolded with a grin. "I like him. Can we keep him?"

" no." Donghae replied without a second thought. "The kid is more trouble than he is worth. I can tell that already."

"Oh come on! He could be a good asset to us! We could use more Chinese members, Hankyung doesn't give us enough edge with our Chinese market."

"He does have a point Donghae." The Chinese man said in a soft voice. "Perhaps another member would be a wise choice."

"You too Hankyung?" Donghae said with a sigh. He looked around the table. "Any more of you that agrees with this plan?"

The remaining two men raised their hands in unison at this. One of them had an evil smirk on his face as he went back to the handheld game controller. The other had a sheepish look on his face as he barely looked at the leader. Donghae swore under his breath before turning to Ryeowook and Hankyung.

"The brat is your responsibility, he pisses me off again and I will kill him." Donghae declared before sitting down in a new seat that Henry's aunt had brought over. "Now brat, bring our food already."

"Yes Donghae-gege." Henry replied with a smile.

That was how he became a member of the legendary M gang. Despite Donghae's threat, Henry was still alive to this day despite annoying the leader often. If it wasn’t for Ryeowook and Hankyung looking out for him, Henry would have probably returned to China in a body bag. Because of the protective nature of Ryeowook it was easy for Henry to develop a crush on the other. He always imagined himself with Ryeowook for the rest of his life and worked hard in impressing the other man.

That was before Zhou Mi had arrived. When the long legged Chinese Man with the bright smile arrived all of Henry's affection and attention shifted quickly to him. Unfortunately he was also rather a clumsy person whenever the other walked into the room. If it wasn't for Ryeowook helping him out, he might have never been able to show his affection for the other Chinese man. So he had promised that if Ryeowook ever needed a favor he would be there for him.

"Oh Henli, you don’t owe me anything. I just want you to be happy." Ryeowook had told him as he patted him on the head.

"Okay Gege." Henry had replied with his mochi smile. But inside he promised that he would always be there for the other.

Fast forward a few years, and now Henry found himself walking out of the main hall with Donghae and the other inner members. They had just spoken to Jongwoon and Kibum about coming after the gang without any evidence and Henry was in an energetic mood. It has been awhile since he was able to witness the dangerous and scary leader. At least when he's not lashing out at Henry anyways. Bouncing on the balls of his feet he turned to Donghae with a bright smile.

"I'm surprised you let the two live, gege." He said brightly. "I thought for sure you would have killed at least Kibum for what he said to Siwon earlier."

"I wanted to, but I was convinced to spare both of them." Donghae admitted with a sigh. He turned to Ryeowook and frowned.

"All right, I let them live. Now will you please explain to me why you wanted me to spare the two detectives?"

"It was you who wanted them to live?" Henry interrupted with a shocked look on his face.

"Henry!" Donghae snapped at the youngest.

Henry dipped his head in apology and scurried off to where Zhou Mi was standing. The tall Chinese man smiled and wrapped a comforting arm around the other. Henry smiled brightly again and turned back to Donghae and Ryeowook.

"I told you Donghae, killing those two would only cause more problems for us than help. They are the lead detectives for their agencies. If they suddenly turn up dead the whole Seoul police force will be knocking at our doors for our arrests." Ryeowook calmly explained.

"I realize that. And I remember you telling me that as well. But this is normally something that Siwon tells me, not you. So I want to know who you were so insistent in protecting them."

There was a moment of silence as Donghae stared at Ryeowook. Henry stood to the side and watched the staring match with fascination. It was not often that Ryeowook did something that bothered the M leader. And it was not often that Henry got to see that particular look on the leader's face when it wasn’t aimed at him. But of course the youngest member had still yet to learn some social cues and spoke up before his brain could stop him.

"Does this mean I won't get threatened to be killed for the first time?" He asked Zhou Mi loudly. The other Chinese man sighed at this and shot the smaller man a frustrated look.

"I am annoyed enough to kill someone at the moment." Donghae said as he shot the boy a look. "Are you volunteering for me?"

"Ah, no gege." Henry replied with a sheepish smile.

"Thought so," Donghae rolled his eyes before turning back to Ryeowook. "Wook, you are a trusted member of this gang. I'd hate for you to lose it any time soon."

Donghae then turned and left the room. The other inner members watched him go before they also began to leave the room one by one. The only ones left in the room was Ryeowook and Henry. The young Chinese man was bouncing on his feet again, entertained with everything that had happened in the last few hours. He turned to Ryeowook with a bright smile that quickly died when he saw the pensive look on the others face. Walking up he patted the other softly on the arm.

"Ryeowook-Gege, are you okay?" He asked in concern.

Ryeowook turned and looked at the younger with a small smile. He ruffled the other's hair with a chuckle.

"I'm okay Henry-ah. Gege is just tired. I hope you don’t mind, but I think I'm going to go back to my room." Ryeowook said as he began to walk away. He got a few steps before Henry grabbed his arm, causing him to turn and look.

"Gege, I don’t know exactly what is going on right now, but I hope you know that I will always be here for you." Henry said seriously. "So please, don’t be so stressed."

Ryeowook looked as if he was going to get teary eye but held it in. He pulled Henry close for a hug and whispered in his ear.

"That means a lot for me. But I need you to promise me something. If, in the future, something happens and I find myself in a situation that I can't fix, you must not follow me."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean if you suddenly have a moment where you have to choose between me and Donghae, you must pick Donghae."

Henry was speechless at this. He was confused as to why Ryeowook was telling him this. He was also beginning to be worried as well. He was about to question why Ryeowook was asking when the other tightened his grip.

"Promise me!" He said fervently.

"I promise Gege."

Ryeowook nodded at this and patted Henry twice on the arms before releasing him. He took a step back and stared deep into the others eyes.

"Never break this promise Henry." He told him seriously. "No matter what."