Responsibility

Angel and Devil of Love

There was a long moment of silence as you thought of how you should start the whole thing. You shut your eyes deep in thought. You held your breath for a few seconds then let it out. You were ready. Just as you were about to say something, he laughed.

You were slightly taken aback.

"Yah, why are you acting so serious?" he asked.

You frowned. "You." he shifted slightly. "You were avoiding me, weren't you?"

"...No." he said uncertainly.

"Liar." you stepped closer to him. "Was it funny? Was me being serious like that: funny to you?"

"No."

"Stop that."

He looked at you with worried curiosity. "What do you mean?"

"Stop saying no." you said, never taking your gaze away from his. "I don't know what I did wrong. But I don't like this. You won't even tell what happened."

He gulped, went to the boiler and poured himself a glass of warm water. He sipped it before putting it down on the table. "I have my own reasons." 

"Reasons?" you crossed your arms.

He walked closer and closer to you and suddenly you didn't feel so.. confident anymore. You backed away until there was no space left, your back against the wall. You did a little crab walk and tried to open the door but he stopped you. He held your hand and squeezed it slightly. You looked up at him, half expecting him to yell at you.

But he didn't. 

"Trust me." he said with all honesty. "I just need some time."

For a while there, you were captivated by the look in his eyes. The serious, determined, headstrong and warm personality that was always portrayed. You nodded unconsciously.

He exhaled and let your hand go. You felt like half your life was taken away from you. "So.. was that all you wanted to talk about?" he asked.

You mentally slapped yourself. You didn't even start to say what you wanted but got on with all your complaints and whatnot. But.. it wasn't entirely your fault either. 

You shook your head. You decided to just let it go.

*The confession can wait for another time.*

~~~

[Kim Bum's POV]

Kim Bum left that your house that day with a weird feeling in his heart. He couldn't even begin to explain it. He felt sorry and worthless, but also, he felt like he accomplished something. He needed to keep you away from his issue for a while. Even if it means he had to avoid you for the time being.

If you were there all the time, there was no way he would be able to concentrate well. You would be stuck on his mind. His father would not like that. He sighed a deep sigh. If only he had his mum left..

~~

His father's secretary brought him a whole new pile of documents that need verification.  Kim Bum didn't even have the time to look at how tall the pile was, he was already busy with his existing two piles. 

"By Saturday." the secretary said before bowing and leaving.

"Algesumnida."

~~

Kim Bum walked through the hallways, visitors and nurses giving him some looks as he checked for that particular room. No doubt gossiping about the heir or about how good he looked. Even the busy doctors spared him a glance. 

He finally reached his destination. He went into the room and shut the door behind him. It was a special single room. With only one patient in it of course. There was a very wide and slim television sitting infront of the bed. The toilet/bathroom was enormous and intricately designed. The bed itself was bigger than a king-sized bed.

The only animate object in there was his father. It seemed to be too much of an exaggeration.  His father was always like that. Wasting his riches, boasting about his position, criticizing every other.

"Appa." he called.

His father glanced at him. "Oh. You're here."

Kim Bum bowed and took a seat beside the bed. He didn't bring his father anything because his father didn't like things that he gave him. A petty man he was.

"How's the company going?" his father asked, chewing on a peanut. He might as well have asked. 'How's my money running?'

"Just fine." he answered. His father looked at him. Kim Bum cleared his throat. "As usual."

His father looked back at the screen with a satisfied smirk. "Of course." 

Sometimes Kim Bum wondered if his dad really had cancer. His personality just did not suit that of a cancer patient. The doctor even said he didn't have much time left. But here was father, chewing on some peanuts, watching television as if there was no end to his life.

After a while, Kim Bum stood up. "I must go now father."

"Oh really? Okay. Go." he said, his attention still on the television.

Kim Bum rolled his eyes and was about to really leave when he heard his dad call him. "Kim Bum."

He turned his head slightly. "Neh?"

"My son." he said. "I'm proud of you."

Kim Bum bowed his head slightly. "Kamsaham-"

"But." his father gave him a knowing look. "You better not let anything get in your way. OUR way. Do you understand?"

"Yes. I understand, father."

He nodded gratefully. "Then you can go now."

Kim Bum shut the door behind him. He didn't want to admit it but he was feeling quite burdened. Why did his father have to go so soon? He didn't want to take on the responsibility so soon either. 

He walked down the hallways and out of the hospital to his car. He went into his car and the engine. He gripped the steering wheel and rested his forehead on it, wondering if you were feeling alright now.