A Pleasant Surprise

Angel and Devil of Love

It was a bright day out. The birds were singing, the grass were greener, flowers bloomed beautifully and the wind hummed peacefully to the bright blue sky.  You woke up feeling better that day. In fact, everything was perfect. 

That is, until you reached school.

~~

"Hey Jihyun!" you waved enthusiastically. "I actually have a math problem I don't really understand. And since you're better at math than I am, I thought you could- "

She walked right past you without giving so much as a glance your way. You frowned. Did she not hear you?

~~

"AH!" you spotted Junhyung with the rest of Beast having an idle chat at the soccer field bench. You walked right up to them but none of them turned their heads to look at you. 

You coughed loudly on purpose and even punched Junhyung at his arm but you didn't get a response. Irritated, you stepped closer. "Yah!" you said sternly.

Yoseob laughed at no apparent joke and the others shook their head amused. Junhyung rubbed the part of his arm where you'd hit him. But still no one said anything to you.

You threw your hands up in the air as a final try to get their attention but they ignored you completely. You rolled your eyes and stormed off. Playing hard to get was always your specialty. It hardly seemed fair that other people were trying to make it theirs.

~~

You passed by a girl from your class that was always the lonely one. Quiet and reserved but intelligent and possibly pretty under those large glasses. You tapped her shoulder and she looked at you curiously. *Finally* you thought. *Attention*.

*Some friends I have* you blew upwards at your fringe.

"Have you seen Park Min Young?" you asked. She shook her head. "No." she replied flatly.

"Oh." you tapped your chin. "Hm.. What about Kim Bum?" 

"Kim Bum?" she cocked her head to one side. "Negative. I think he's absent today. Actually, I'm pretty sure of it."

You heaved a deep sigh. "Well thanks." you smiled generously before she stalked off, eyeing furiously at her open book.

You shuddered imagining yourself reading a book just like that. Walking down the hallways and having people stare at you all the time. Just like that.

~~

School ended and happy teenagers filled every place possible, chattering, gossiping, chatting, laughing, joking, well whatever they could do. Everyone except you. You were just following the crowd, one step after another. You couldn't find Min Young anywhere. Kim Bum was absent. Some 4minute members were missing and the ones that are present ignored you completely.  Not to mention Beast. Even Shinee were avoiding you.

You'd wondered if you had caught some kind of disease. A disease that everyone else but you could tell and that freaked people out. But then after a long moment of thinking, you realized that that was just pathetic. What disease? How would others know it and not yourself? 

You brought yourself to accept the fact that you had ignorant, cold-hearted, selfish, mean friends. Just when you started to open up to them. You kicked a nearby trashcan , forgetting that it was made out of steel. You winced in pain and hopped around a spot. "Ah.." you bit your lip. "Dang it."

~~

You practically glared at anyone who looked your way as you walked -- limped--down the streets of Seoul to your apartment. You felt like an idiot. Just when the day had to have perfect weather, your friends had to turn their backs on you. Somehow, the thought of Kim Bum not even bothering to give you at least a text message ate at your heart. *Freak.* you thought.

You fumbled for your key and opened the door to your apartment as soon as you caught hold of it in your pocket. Your foot hurt so you just left your shoes at the entrance and limped all the way in.

The lights were off so you went to the switch and flipped them on, half expecting it not to work since it doesn't work most of the time. But well normal people do that and you intended to be normal so you went for it anyway.

The lights went right on and loud music blasted in the living room. The absent 4minute members, Beast, Shinee , Dara, Min Ho, Min Young and Kim Bum were right there. They sang your birthday song for you, sounding perfect as they sang along to the music. You realized Kim Bum hadn't sang but just seeing him there made you happy. He caught you staring and you quickly looked away, embarassed.

"Happy birthday!" Min Young chirped, giving you a tight hug. You hugged back, but with less strength. "Thanks.." you muttered, tears threatening to come out from your eye sockets.

"I didn't know.. I thought you guys were selfish, cold-hearted, ignorant, mean friends." you pouted for the extra effect. She glared at Junhyung who shrugged it off like nothing happened.

"Aigoo~" Jihyun pinched your cheek. Jiyoon smirked. "You didn't actually mean that, do you?"

You pretended to give it a long thought, eyebrows creased and everything. Beast and Shinee stared at you intensely. 

"Yah.." Hyuna pushed you lightly. 

"Just kidding." your lips broke into a wide grin. "You guys are the best friends in the world!" you held up both your thumbs.

"Yay!" 4minute group hugged you.

"Hey your cake's getting lonely." Min Ho mused. Min Young giggled.

"I'll get the tea." Il Woo volunteered. Dara followed him, linking her arm with his, he tried shrugging her off but she held on too tight.

Min Young handed you the knife to cut the cake. "Here." she smiled. 

"Thanks." you said shyly. Min Ho crept up from behind Min Young and wrapped his arms around her. She looked up at him, her eyes gleaming with affection and love. *LOVE* you thought. You looked sideways and noticed Kim Bum standing with Shinee, acting like he's having a great time with them, but he seemd a little distracted to you.

You blushed and stood in front of the cake for a long time, staring at the lit candles. Soon, everyone was silent as they waited for you to blow out the candles and make a wish before cutting the cake. Sohyun was busy taking pictures with her camera, and so was Gayoon. 

You shut your eyes tight and made a true and honest wish for the very first time in your life. With all your heart, you blew the candles out and a chorus of hands clapping was heard. You cut the cakely nicely and precisely, smiling at Sohyun for a picture. Gayoon snapped one too.

After that, everything was pretty smooth and easy. Your apartment used to feel so small. But now it felt so big because there were so many people in there and they were all feeling warm and cozy with each other. You crossed your arms and let out a breath, satisfied. You guessed it was rubbing off on you too.

You felt a hand on your shoulder so you turned around slightly. Kim Bum was behind you but he didn't have his usual smile on his face.

"Kim Bum..?" you asked, worried. "Is something wrong?"

"No." he managed a tiny smile. "Just.. tired, I guess."

You raised your eyebrow. Why did it feel like he wasn't telling the truth?

You glanced at the rest of your friends before pulling  him into your kitchen. Thankfully, Il Woo and Dara were already outside, serving tea. You locked the door behind you.

You sighed. "Tell me."

"Tell you what?"

"What's bothering you?"

He was silent. Looks like he didn't want to talk about it.

"Well if you're not going to say anything.." you gulped. "I will."