I'm Sorry Too

Angel and Devil of Love

Jonghyun slapped Il Woo on his back. "Hey."

"What?" Il Woo muttered, slamming his locker shut.

He frowned. "What's with the long face?"

"Nothing you should be concerned about."

He eyed Il Woo weirdly "Well okaaayy... I just thought we'd--" Il Woo's phone rang once. Then twice, telling him that he got a message. Il Woo held his hand up to stop Jonghyun from talking.

Jonghyun raised his eyebrow "But why do I have to stop talking when you get only a message?"

"Do you have a problem with that?" Il Woo growled. Jonghyun shrugged.

Il Woo flipped his phone on but shut it right after seeing who it was that sent him the message. "You aren't gonna read it?"

Il Woo ignored him and went on his way to class.

Jonghyun folded his arms. "Man what's wrong with that guy?" It was an insult for him to be ignored like that. He was Kim Jonghyun. THE Kim Jonghyun. No one dares treat him that way. At least.. that's what he always thinks.

~~~~~

[Dara's POV]

Dara dreamt of being at home. Staring at her own image reflected on the mirror. Her eyes were puffy and her nose was running. It looked like she cried so much that she lost her cheerful self. Not her lips, not her eyes, neither showed her usual personality. She was cold and distant to herself that day and anything and everything that she would think about would only be him. And the more she thought of what had happened, the more she felt like crying. And it happened every time too. Just like a waterfall that no one can stop not even herself.

She also dreamt of being at a beach. She sat at the shore where the waves came rolling in and out. The sand was dirtying her summer dress and legs but she was happy and contented. At the corner of her eyes, she could make out another person's shadow. The shadow soon seem to shorten and a hand held hers. She looked away hesitantly from the horizon and into a pair of eyes that seemed even more warm and welcoming than that of a setting sun.

The guy whom she recognized as him. The guy whom she loved for the longest time. He put a flower in her hair. His hand slid from her head to her cheek, to her shoulder, to her arm and finally into her hand. He rested his forehead on hers as they gaze into each other's eyes longingly and lovingly. A hot breeze blew past them and she shivered--- wait.

HOT breeze?!

Dara's eyes fluttered open as her eyes adjusted to the brightness of reality. She rubbed her eyes and sat up straight. She yawned, blinked a few times and faced the front. A face with a pair of big black eyes stared right into hers at the range of at the most 1 cm. Dara jumped in her seat and backed away. 

"S-Sohyun?"

Sohyun smiled innocently. "Hi there." she waved and made a peace sign. Dara sighed. "Aigoo, what are you doing here?"

Sohyun pointed right at her. "I blew in your face." Dara rolled her eyes *So that explains the hot 'breeze'*

They were silent for a while until Sohyun spoke. "Aren't you gonna tell me?" "Tell you what?" "You were talking in your sleep." Sohyun pointed out.

Dara's eyes rounded. "I was?"

Sohyun brightened. "Yeah! You were saying it like this.." she cleared . "Il Woo... sorry..." she imitated. 

"What I want to know is: Why were you sorry?"

"I'm not telling you." Dara said dismally. Sohyun cocked her head to one side. "Did something bad happen?"

Dara simply smiled but said nothing. After another few minutes of endless pesterings, Sohyun finally decided to leave Dara's side and give up for the day.

Dara pulled out the necklace he gave her and held it close to her chest. It was then or never. She mustered her courage and got up her seat with her bag over her shoulder. She was going to settle it -- even if it means hurting herself more than she already was, she won't want to hurt Il Woo any further.

~~~~

"What, hyung. Where are you going?" Kim Bum asked utterly worried. 

"Home." Il Woo replied shortly. "Not looking for girls are you?" Min Ho joked.

Il Woo shot him a glare that shut him up immediately. Min Ho held his hands up in defence but Il Woo just walked past him out of their class.

Jonghyun sat on Il Woo's place. "I know how you feel buddy." he sighed dramatically. 

"Hey Jonghyun" Kim Bum bumped fists with him. Min Ho stared at him weirdly.

"What?" Jonghyun asked. "It happened to me earlier too."

~~~~

Il Woo ignored every girl that was pointing at him or whispering about him or even leering at him. He didn't care. His thoughts were so messy now. There's no room for whatever stupid things that they were gossiping about.

Just as he was about to reach the school gate, he was pulled back by his wrist by a tiny hand. He looked down at the hand and immediately knew who it was. He really didn't want to even look at her and he wanted to just pull his hand away from hers. But then that would really cross the line so he just stood there motionless with his back facing her.

"What do you want?" he asked in a low voice.

Dara gulped and quickly got the teddy out of her bag. She didn't want to force him to look her way. Besides, if he did, she wasn't sure if she would be able to convery her message fully.

"Thanks.. for the gift." she said softly. He didn't answer.

"I love the necklace." she bt on her lip. "And also, I didn't mean what I said.. I'm sor--"

"Don't apologize." he whirled around and looked at her. "I don't want to hear you say sorry. Because.." he took in a deep breath. "I'm going to give up on you. So don't even think of getting in my way. If you still value our friendship, you'll understand."

Her eyes widened. "You.. you're going to what..?"

"Give up."

"Give up?"

He found it pointless to confirm it any further. He felt so tired and so out of air. He needed to breathe. He needed to be away from her.

"You.. like me?" she said it as if the word was so foreign to her.

He didn't say anything but looked down at the ground, at least then he wouldn't have to look at her. He just couldn't take it.

Dara forced herself to agree to what he just said. To let herself believe. Her knees weakened and she slumped to the ground. Il Woo's eyes widened and he was looking right at her with worried eyes. "Are you okay?"

He watched as her eyes started to tear up. Her lips trembled and she held on to the teddy as hard as she could.

He bent down so they were at the same level. 

"S-Since when...?" she asked through her tears.

"Since.. since.. not long ago.." he replied, not sure of what to do.

"I hate you." she whined. "I hate you , I hate you!" she punched his chest but he didn't really feel anything except light punches.

"Didn't you know?" she sniffed. "Know what?" "That I like you too?"

He nodded slowly. He knew-- or at least he thought he did. He wasn't too sure because at times she would make it so obvious and at other times, it seemed as if she didn't care at all. He never understood girls-- especially Dara.

"Then?" she wiped her tears off with her sleeve. 

"I don't know.." he said pathetically. She took a packet of tissue out and he took one out for her. She took it and wiped her tears off her eyes and cheeks before blowing her nose in it.

After a moment of silence and when Dara had finally calmed down, she stood up again. She looked at him wth glistening eyes "I'm sorry Il Woo." she said with all truth and honesty in her voice.

He scratched the back of his head, feeling stupid and an to have misunderstood what she said so badly. She might have just been fending off more gossips.. and he only realized that now. "I'm sorry too Dara-ah."

He took out a tiny gold key from his pocket and held it out for her. "Here."

She took it with a sense of wonder. "Is this for the locket?"

"Yeah."

She put the end of the key into the keyhole and turned it anti-clockwise. A soft 'click' sound was heard. She smiled and opened the cover of the locket. Inside was a picture of her smiling face and on it were three words that Il Woo would never be brave enough to say.

"I love you." she read it aloud blushing furiously.

He smiled and pulled her in for a warm hug feeling a sudden surge of bravery and confidence. "I love you too Dara." he said as she hugged him back feeling safe and happy.