Chapter 49

Of Angels and Demons

“So… where do we start?” Donghae asked as they all sat down on the roof. Sai gave Wook an apologetic look and patted his shoulder “I don’t know if the signals get through to your subconscious at night and wake you up but you should probably stay away from mom at night if you haven’t already been doing so. Only until things start to improve.” Ryeowook nodded in agreement.

“That being said, Sen you should stay away from mom at night as well.”

“What!” Kangin put a calming hand on her back.

Leeteuk sighed before continuing “Going to comfort mom at night helps calm her down but her dreams are affecting you negatively.”

“But I’ve never entered her nightmares. The thought has crossed my mind yes and it’s something that’s going to need to be done. But to try it on my own would be suicide.”

Kibum put his arm around her “Remember what I said about Sai being okay because she continued to go to Siwon and Leeteuk?”

Sen clenched her jaw and breathed out slowly “Fine.” She ran a hand through her hair “You do realize that leaves Sai on her own for comforting mom then, right?”

Kyuhyun leaned forward “We’re actually working on that.” Sen glanced at Kibum who nodded.

“Working on what?” Shindong asked.

“Sensors for the rest of us. They’ll run on the same wavelengths that Wook’s power runs on.”

“Wouldn’t it be better to run it on the wavelength the girls are receiving the signals on? It seems to be stronger than my power” Ryeowook voiced his concern.

“Essentially they’re the same…. But truth be told finding your wavelength is quicker and easier than figuring out the girls’. Plus we’re going to tweak it to amplify the signal so the sensors will receive it quicker.” Kyuhyun could see Sen’s fingers twitching “something you want to add?”

She blinked at him and bit her lip shaking her head before laying back “Nope.”

“What is it?”

“Nothing.”

“Obviously it’s something!” Heechul piped in.

Sen closed her eyes just as Sai and Ryeowook shivered. She was the first to move as she shot toward the door, Hangeng not far behind.  “Teuk, go to mom!” Hangeng caught Sen’s arm just as she borrowed his power and teleported.

“Aish! Didn’t we just get done telling her she had to stay away from mom?” Heechul ruffled his hair.

“She wasn’t going to her” Sai closed her eyes.

“Then where-” *SPLASH* Everyone ran to the edge of the roof to find that Hangeng and Sen had landed in the pond.

--

“Let go of me!” Sen yanked her arm from Hangeng’s grip. “Leave me alone” she started to make her way towards the edge of the pond.

“Not until you tell me what’s eating you?” Hangeng followed.

“Nothing” she replied through clenched teeth.

“Sen, please.”

She shook her head.

“You know if I wanted to I could break through your barrier.”

That made her whip back around “Then why haven’t you?”

“Because you don’t need people digging around inside your head but it’s not good to keep things bottled up. So please tell me what’s wrong?”

She rolled her eyes. “They’re working with technology so they obviously know what they’re doing but they’re cutting corners by using Ryeowook’s wave because it’s easier and quicker to find than taking the time to find our wave.”  She took a calming breath “I’m the last person any of them would expect to care but this is mom we’re talking about. Yes we need to help her as soon as we can but we need to be cautious as well, none of us truly know what we’re doing what if…. We could really mess up and I’m not talking death, there are worse things out there. Her nightmares might be hurting her but they aren’t going to outright kill her. Or at least they shouldn’t…” Sen got quiet.

Hangeng took a step toward her and she immediately stepped back running a shaky hand through her hair showing her frustration. “The fact of the matter is they’re making a mistake. We have time to find the correct wave.”

“Then tell them.”

She shook her head “I can’t.”

“Then tell me. Why is using Ryeowook’s wave any different than yours?”

Sen sat in the water and took a deep breath. “His wave is based directly off of his powers which unlike everyone else he’s had years of experience and knows how to block stuff out when he needs to. Depending on how strong it is anyway.”

Hangeng crouched down “I’m sure they know that and will put blockers into it.”

“Of that I’ve no doubt and they’ll work but not how they should. Our wave” she tapped her chest “Is more directly in tuned with mom, which is why I don’t understand how the rest of you don’t already have that sense. Also ours has much less to do with feeling and feelings which would put less strain on everyone else which makes it less dangerous than Wook’s plus they wouldn’t (provided they make them right.) need dampeners or blockers if they used ours.” She stared at him with dark eyes “What’s it matter if I tell them or not anyways? You’re probably broadcasting.”

Hangeng’s shoulders slumped, he didn’t want to lose her trust. “Only to Chul. I swear.”

“Whatever.” She shivered standing up “I’m gonna go take another shower. Thanks.”