Chapter 45

Of Angels and Demons

The girls were studying in the library at the house. Sai slammed her pen down “We need to talk.”

“What about?” her twin yawned, stretching.

“Mom isn’t doing well.”

Sen leans back in her chair “Ah that…” she thought back to the other day “the guys know something is off with her so if they ask go ahead and fill them in.”

Sai shook her head in disbelief “How can you just say ‘Ah that’ like it’s nothing?!” her voice started to rise. “She needs help and all I can do is comfort her.”

“I know.”

“No I don’t think you really do. I know you have issues with her but I don’t see you doing anything to help!”

 Sen glanced away before locking eyes with her twin “What makes you think I haven’t been doing anything? Huh? If you really think that then maybe you need more sleep.”

Sai paused slightly at the dangerous edge in her sister’s voice. “What have you done then?”

“Hey!” Both girls jump and turn towards the door. “What’s going on in here? It’s not like you two to be fighting” Eunhyuk walked into the room.

“Ask her.” Sen nodded in Sai’s direction before leaving the room.

Eunhyuk looked at Sai “So wanna tell me what that was about?”

“Not really…”

Hyuk sighed and pulled her into a hug “Older brothers are supposed to help, that’s what we’re here for.”

‘they know… fill them in…’ “Maybe later, k?”

Hyuk nodded and let her go.

Lynn was having nightmares, horrible, horrible nightmares. Enough that the energy from them offset the girls so bad that even Ryeowook has taken notice of it. They don’t usually have to worry about them during the day unless she’s taking a nap or trying to. And nobody knows what’s really going on except for the girls; even the grandparents haven’t taken notice yet. What Sai doesn’t know is that Sen has been helping or trying to at least.

 

***

(Sen's POV)

-The next morning-

My eyes shoot open and I glance at the clock.

1AM.

I groan and look to see if Sai’s awake too.

She’s not.

 Good, I thought, she needs her sleep. This has been happening every night since it started a few weeks ago. Mom’s been having nightmares and for one reason or another Sai and I seem to be tuned into them and are ‘alerted’ whenever they start. Sai doesn’t know that I’m trying to help too. I handle the daytime stuff when she naps and the nights when Sai has hit her ‘wall’ and she’s able to sleep through the call of the energy, like tonight.

I pad my way to mom’s room. And shake my head upon opening the door. Silent cries are the worst. You know someone’s had it bad when they are no longer able to use their voice to call out during a bad dream. The energy is her voice now. It’s her cry, her signal to wake her, to pull her back to safety.

Every night it’s the same routine. Crawl into bed, rearrange the sheets, hold mom until she settles down, sleep. That last one doesn’t always come easy and sometimes it’s nearly non-existent. I have yet to enter the dream. I know I’ll have to if it’s ever going to stop but I’m afraid of what I’ll find or even worse what if I get stuck. It’s an honest possibility, that thing is thirteen years of bad mojo. 

Mom knows that we know. But we don’t talk about it which is why Sai doesn’t know that I’ve been helping as well. Aside from the shared looks during the day we all act ‘normal’. Sai and I study for the midterms and Lynn… mom acts like her I won’t say normal but her usual self that we’ve all known since the incident.

I’m not sure how much longer we can keep this hidden. Its mom’s thing but even so she needs help more then Sai and I can do know. Sai is starting to crack and I miss having contact with our brothers and her. I’m starting to crack at the edges myself. A couple more days, if I/we can’t find anything significant to help by then, then I’ll go to the others myself.