Finale

Perfect Timing

 

"Finale"

 

 

“Your schedule is done for today” Chen said as he accepted the last document that I signed for this evening. I nodded to him and put back the pen, leaning to the back of my leather seat. Chen still stood across me, checking on the document.

“Yes, Chen. I have something in my mind” I said but before he could open his mouth again, I shut him off. “And no, I don’t want to talk about it. If you’re done, please leave me alone”

Chen just rolled his eyes before he changed his professional attitude into the brotherly judging look. “You’ve been a little rude these days. You kept complaining on the stewardess services, you’re asking for unnecessary changes of the usher, you’re basically being angry with everything and everyone. Something must have been bothering you. It’s okay if you don’t want to share it with me, it’s absolutely fine. But one thing, Mr. Wu. Be professional” and just like that, he left the room, closing the door without biding me a goodbye.

I was sighing. I kept pushing people away. First, it was my mother, and then Jinah... and now, Chen. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the end I have no one next to me. I’m a bastard, I admitted it. I’ve been hard to everyone but no matter how hard I tried to be patient, to accept things the way it is, I couldn’t cool myself. I was about to get up when I heard my phone ringing.   

I looked at the screen and for the nth time, rejected the incoming calls. Whoever’s calling me, I wouldn’t bother to answer. My mother endlessly called me, but I’m just not in the mood to talk with her. Her acts these past few days really gave me headache and affected my mood in general. Let’s just said that we had a fight, a huge one, and up until now not yet made up for each other. But it’s different now... This fight we’re having, it’s about her, unlike our previous argumentations when usually it’s about me or the company; it’s always about that, never about my mother.  And it’s started since Bruce Lang stepped in between me and my mother.

Yes, I knew she has a boyfriend. Yes, I knew she fell for Bruce. Yet, I couldn’t understand the whole idea of marriage. For God’s sake, I’m almost 40 and my mother planned to be married? Like... What’s wrong with her? I could not understand what she’s been thinking. Years being Lady Wu, now she wanted to stop and started a new life with her boyfriend? That’s not sounded like Helen Wu.

The more she spent time with Bruce, the more she changed into someone I never knew existed. My mother is everything to me, the only person who would fight for me, who would give the world for me. Suddenly, I felt like I didn’t know her at all. She continuously acted free and hard to control. Seemed like she’s losing her strict and cold feature and changed into the post-Bruce version: light, free, and laidback. It’s good actually for some reasons, like she’s being extra nice to Jinah and she’s all smileys. I knew I should give credit to Bruce, but the last time I checked, my mother came up with a silly idea of getting married again. 

I’m happy she met Bruce; it felt like she’s having a good companion during their relationship. They’re an old couple, so a night out for dinner or a brunch with us was not something I felt worry about. He treated her good and she always seemed all smileys and cheerful whenever she’s talking about him or talked to him on the phone. I’m fine with that, I knew my mother need a company, a friend, but before Bruce, she already has a complete life. Why would she think of an idea of marrying him while the elder felt disturbed with that thought?

The elder already called me, they knew about my mother relationship because of course... the famous Lady Wu went out with Bruce Lang the philanthropist in New York was something worth to be broadcasted. And ever since they knew about my mother relationship with her new boyfriend, the elder seemed to be a little worried because my mother still used my father’s family name and for them, it’s not right for my mother to keep using it if she wanted to be with another guy.

At first, I could ensure the elder that my mother only needs a companion because she’s sixty already and why would someone in their sixties considered a marriage? But it was seriously happened. I received another call from the elder and he said that my mother informed them that she planned to get married to Bruce. And I’m here, the son of my mother, left clueless until we met on that dinner. The certain dinner that made me distanced with my mother...

Years knowing her, never once she forgot to mention about my father. She always said that I reminded her of him, that my presence in this world is something that my mother felt grateful for; because she has a son from the man she truly loves. But now the way I see it, I didn’t know what happened to my mother. Was my father finally forgotten by her? Was the fact that more than 20 years she’s being a single mother tired her? Was she that serious about creating a relationship with Bruce? I really have no idea.

I made a promise to my father years ago, when we’re hanging out together and we got my mom angry for us being careless while out for golf. I thought she’s annoying, I thought that she didn’t understand that it’s normal for men to go out and be late to get back home and not informed her, but my father only smiled and told me things I would never forget.

“She’s your mother, wife of me. She’s not angry to us like she hates us, Kris. No. She’s worried, because the two people she loves the most went missing without news. She’s worried, I know. Never once think that your mother hate you, Son. She loves you more than she loves me and she would do anything for you. So love your mother back, care for her, and promise me that you’ll protect her and make her happy. Deal?”

Back that time, I didn’t understand the promise I made to my father. I was still in elementary school so I didn’t take much of his words, but when he passed away and what I have was only my mother, I knew finally what he meant. My mother is a strong woman; she protected me and fought for me when the whole family wanted their share of what my father left for us. Had she followed what my aunts wanted, we probably would never hear about the Wu anymore.

She made proposal of her plan to continue the business, teaching me so many things about things kids my age would never learned before they stepped in university. I learned people management, soft skill to get through the business, she trained my speech, she left me years in Vancouver to be on my own so I could be independent, but although she’s being pretty strict and rough towards me, there were days when I knew that she just wanted me to be the best.

“I know it’s hard, Kris. I’m sorry you have to go through this way... But if it’s not you, who will continue what you father had done for years? I’m sorry I should be this kind of mother you might hate, but I love you, and I only want the best for you. It’ll be hard, but we’re going to make it. You’re going to make it, Kris”

And that pretty much explained why I have a love hate relationship with my mother. When I started college, getting to know more people, I realized I haven’t done so many things so I left Vancouver, travelling, making friends, creating a tattoo... I remembered how angry my mother was to see me having a tattoo that day, she kept complaining to me with me barely listening to what she said. I was a rebel back then... But I knew she’s proud of me no matter what I do... I love her, truly.

My thought was interfered by the knock on the door. I looked away and found Chen stood there. I was about to tell him about forgetting what he said earlier, but what he said made me stayed in silent.

“Someone’s here to see you” he said shortly but still polite.

“My schedule is done for today, right?”

He nodded. “It’s a guest, asking for permission to see you”

“Who’s the guest?”

Chen looked at me before he mentioned that certain name.

“Bruce Lang”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

For a man in his sixty, Bruce surely didn’t look that old. Just like my mother that still looked like she’s ten years younger than her actual age, Bruce appeared the same. It was said that people with Chinese descendant usually has a younger look, thanks to so many weird traditional drinks we’re consumed since young. He looked fresh and healthy; he looked really good in suit.

When he reached for me in my office, I told him to see me in the cafe outside the hotel. I didn’t want our presence in my own hotel made people assumed things happened between us, so to keep it low, I asked him to meet in a cozy cafe in the intersection. He’s already having his wine when I stepped inside the cafe.

“Do you drink wine?” he asked me, offering to pour the bottle in front of him. I shook my head softly, politely rejected his offer.

“I’m driving” I replied.

“Oh... I thought you’re using your driver” he said, more to himself. He smiled and just looked at me.

“I saw your mother in your face”

It’s either he’s drunk already or he’s trying to steal my sympathy, but I didn’t budge over his words.

“My mother said that I looked like my father” I shortly commented. I knew I sounded like a kid, but... I had no idea what else to reply. I suddenly felt a little too impolite towards a nice guy like him. “I’m sorry about the dinner” I quickly added.

“No, Kris. No...” he shook his head, placing the wine glass on the table. “It’s me who need to say sorry to you”

I looked at him, he’s being pretty serious. “I think we’re too much”

I waited for him to release a long deep breath. “I spent quite a long time with your mother. The first time I met her in London, I knew that she’s not going to be just another woman in my life. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a player, although I was one when I was your age. But there’s not so many woman in my life. I had several exes, married once. I only met one woman and we ended the relationship long before I met your mother”

“The first thing she told me when I confessed to her that I wanted to have a relationship with her were you. She said that she has a child, married, and her only one son. I thought that time I should be the one who asked your permission, but knowing that she asked you and you let her dating me, I thought that I should really getting to know you, the person that’s important to my woman”

I flinched as I heard him calling my mother as his woman. Tell me old fashioned, but I really thought that my father is the only one who could call my mother as his woman. And to know that there’s another man doing that to her... I felt uncomfortable.

“I always wanted to have kids, Kris. Always... But I never get one. My wife couldn’t get pregnant and she’s having cancer, third stadium when we knew it, and it’s really impossible to have a child. I want a son or daughter on my own, but maybe God never letting me have one. So to know how your mother treated you and thought about you, I was lucky to meet such a woman with unending love and care. She never forgot to mention about you, Jinah, or your two precious twins...”

Bruce stopped talking. This time, he’s playing with the wine glass. I still didn’t know what was actually he wanted to say.

“I’m the one who proposed to her. We’re on the happiest time in our life and I want to spend my life with her, Kris. It might be not that long, we’re old anyway... But I want to cherish the moment of our togetherness. Have you ever felt that feeling to want to see your lover again and again that if possible you’d stay days and nights just to be with that person, Kris?”

With Jinah, it was. Those time after we divorced, I missed her the most, knowing that I actually in love with her and not wanting to let go. It’s like a torture, wanting to be with the one you love but you can’t.

“That’s how to portray my feeling for your mother, Kris. I want to see her, to talk with her, to walk hand in hand as we’re enjoying the spring in the park. I didn’t expect much though, but it’s truly like a blessing when she said yes... But I understand when you’re objecting us. She’s precious to you, just like her to me. And yes, I would never want to let go someone that’s precious for me, go for someone I barely knew...” Bruce looked up and glance at me.

 “Was my mother sending you here?”

Bruce shook his head. “You know for sure she’s not that kind of woman. If she doesn’t like something, she would make sure that you know it right on your face”

Well, yes, that’s typical of my mother. She’s blunt; she could just say things to you, no matter how bitter it would feel to hear from her. Bruce must have really understood my mother to know this kind of thing.

“Just like you say how precious she is for you, Bruce, she’s like that for me too. We’ve spent so many years, just being two. She never dated anyone after my father but you may know how many guys tried to be close with her, and as you know, there’s never really no one, until you”

We went in silent after that, listening to the calming back sound in cafe. I appreciated what Bruce had told me, how he managed to meet me and be honest about what he felt towards my mother. But I felt like...there’s more to that... Like I could feel his honesty, his sincerity, but I still couldn’t except it just like that. I thought that my mother would only be in relationship with him, just dating, but marriage... it’d cause the whole things to change. She would be registered in other family’s and she’s no longer a Wu, and moreover... it felt like she left my father, like she left me...

“I really love your mother, Kris. And I really want to marry her, living our life together” he said, sighing. “But if what I wished is causing your relationship with her to be in trouble, I don’t want that. If it’s really hard for you, I would not want to continue it, Kris”

That’s exactly what I wanted to hear from him, to end this relationship with my mother. But I didn’t know why, when I saw the sad look in his eyes, I felt like I was ruining something and to know that my mother’s soon to hear from her lover that he’s going to leave her... I felt uncomfortable, I didn’t feel relieve at all.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When I was back home, I was greeted by the view of my twins playing on the carpet as they’re enjoying a good time together. Jaz was hugging her little Dino doll while Alex tried to stand up, wanting to go around the room.  I smiled as I looked at them, they didn’t notice my presence yet. It was Jinah who noticed though. She just had turned her body to face me when she’s done placing the twins’ clothes in the cupboard. She didn’t say anything; she just called In Hee to check on the twins while she walked out from the baby room, signaling that we both should leave the room, if we wanted to talk.

“Hey” I greeted her softly when she passed me.

“Hi” she responded, bringing the twins’ dishes to the sink in the kitchen.

I followed her there, but since it’s a little awkward, I managed a few space between us. Ever since that night in the restaurant, we’re arguing and I knew that I was too harsh to her, I was being too much. It’s a little weird to see her being calm instead of getting angry like she used to whenever we had a serious fight. She’s not being emotional but just stayed silent, which made it worse.

We pretended that we’re okay, but I knew that we’re not. Jinah didn’t want to have any argumentation with me so she just played like there’s nothing, but I didn’t want it to be like this. It’s not comfortable to sleep with my wife while she remained silent all the time. The only reason she didn’t yell at me: the twins. But she really got me, I felt horrible to myself for treating her like she’s not important to me.  

“How’s your day?” I asked her, watching her back as she started to clean up. It took her for seconds before she answered my question.

“Fine” she said shortly while washing the glass. There’s nothing to be said in the time she’s cleaning the glass until it’s placed in the dryer.

“You’re angry” I said, she looked at me and gave the disbelief look.

“I’m not”

I shook my head. “You’re definitely angry”

“I’m not, Kris”

“Then why you kept pretending like there’s nothing? What’s with the silent treatment?”

Jinah finished her dish cleaning and wiped the water from her hands, half throwing the napkin she had and looking at me.

“I don’t want to argue with you, Kris” she said helplessly.

“What’s the problem? You’re still angry that I snapped on you that night?”

Jinah shook her head softly, looking at me with a desperate look.

“You know what? It’s just... you keep making people be away from you. You’re getting angry to everyone; you snapped on me, you said harsh words to our workers at home and from what Chen said you’re being a little too sensitive in the hotel as well. Is it really necessary for you to act like that when you’re angry, Kris?”

“Wh- Wait. Hold on. Why am I the antagonist one here?”

“Hasn’t it enough to ruin your mother happiness? You want to ruin everything else? You want to screw me as well?” she asked with a glimpse of desperation in her face. What had I done?

“I didn’t ruin her happiness” I said sternly.

“You’re opposing things that made her happy. You made her thinking that what she’s done was wrong and that she shouldn’t be like this...”

“Jinah. My mother is about to marry someone. She wanted to date, I gave my permission. But to marry someone?! What she had in her mind?”

“And what’s wrong with that, Kris?” Jinah asked me as she walked closer to me, stopped few steps across me. “She’s been all alone these years, stayed with you, took care of you. Can’t you give a little credit now to her?” she said, pressing her lips like she did whenever she felt annoyed towards me.

“Remarried. At her age?!”

“There’re a lot of couples out there that married their loved one although they’re passed sixty already. So what? It’s not about the age, it’s about the mutual feeling they have”

I quickly shook my head, disagree with whatever she said. “I’m not arguing this with you”

“Sure. I knew that you never considered me to talk about this kind of thing. It’s okay” she coldly reply before she walked away from me.

“It’s not like that... Jinah, Honey...” I desperately called on her, trying to hold on her. I really didn’t want to have a fight with her.

“Ok, if you don’t want to argue me... Let me just ask you one thing, Kris” she stopped her steps and looked at me.

“She’s happy, your mother is happy with Bruce. Tell me, Kris, if she’s happy with her choice, would you still think that it’s wrong and she should do whatever your opinion said?”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Alex... Are you done, Baby?” I asked Alex as he just playing around with my . He wanted to feed, but then he played around as he bit my and made me feeling uncomfortable. He’s having his teeth growing so the past three days were horrible, he kept having a hard time to sleep and he couldn’t eat anything but milk, so having him feed by me was one of the things I’d try to do for him. On the other hand, Jaz was being so independent. She’s rarely being clingy to me although whenever she saw her father she quickly moved to him and begs for his attention, which always works all the time.

“Just put Alex on the ground, Jinah. Let him move around...” my mother in law said while she walked to the living room along with Jaz in her hand. The baby girl wanted to follow her grandma so I let her getting attached to my mother in law. I softly took Alex’s hand and told him to play with his sister.

“How are the kids these days? Jaz seemed to be more active, she couldn’t stop copying what I did...” my mother in law smiled to Jaz who’s now playing with her brother, giggling over the fishes in the large aquarium that’s displayed in the middle of the room.

“Other than Alex’s teeth growth, everything else is fine. They started to eat well, said more words, and kept walking here and there” I replied, waving to Alex who excitedly called me and laughed over the fishes.

My mother in law just looked at the twins and smiled to herself. I felt like seeing me in her, how I enjoyed every single moments I have with my kids. And I wonder how she felt right now regarding her relationship with Kris. From what I knew, they haven’t been in contact for days now. My husband could be very stubborn sometimes, yet he said that I’m the most stubborn person he ever met.

“Mother...” I called her softly, not sure whether I should address this issue or not. She looked at me, still smiling from looking at Jaz and Alex. They could be that happy for seeing anything the first time: the flying kite, a balloon, a cute puppy, they even looked amazingly at our vacuum cleaner like it’s something magical. I really love the glimpse of awesomeness they showed in their face.

“Look at them... They’re so cute... Like the fishes is everything.... They really looked like the little Kris; he used to be like that, just like Alex and Jaz. He’s clingy towards me and all grumpy to strangers, the mix of Alex and Jaz, right?” she suddenly said, still watching at Jaz and Alex; they were trying to catch the fish, which was impossible, of course. Their giggles were so adorable; I couldn’t hold the smile to my own.

“He’s still grumpy and clingy, but at least he’s not that sensitive towards people who want to approach him...” I commented, earning a small smile from my mother in law.

“He’s still not accepting my calls or replying to my texts. If I was still the me years ago, I’d already sent my guards to bring him here” she sighed, before leaning to the soft couch. “Is he alright?”

I nodded slowly. “He’s fine, he has several works at the hotel, he sometimes went back home late”

“Are you two fighting?” she asked, sternly looked at me.

“Well... A bit”

“Is it because of me? That night in the restaurant?”

I was sighing before I nodded at her. “He insisted that you should stay single, considering your devoted love to his father... And I said that you should live your life happily”

Helen Wu looked at me with a surprised look. “Isn’t it hard to have a mother in law like me, Jinah? I was the one who talked about family’s prestige, how to protect our family name, and how to behave in the public. Yet I’m the one who ruined the Wu’s name, by dating publicly a man who’s known as well. You must have been feeling confused, or at least unfairly treated, since I did whatever you’re banned to do”

I once hated my mother in law. She always treated me like I’m a missile of humiliation, that if I wasn’t taken with a good care, I’d create a huge shame to my husband and his family. I hate her also for treating my first baby as an object; she always spoke highly of the baby boy, ready to prepare him just like how she prepared Kris. Both I and Kris agreed that this circle of heiress thing should stop. It’s only creating problem in our family, the silly rules that only man with Wu could inherit everything. I hate her, but still, she’s a person that I looked up to.

She shed tears with me when she knew that I was having a miscarriage, things I never expected her to do. She encouraged me to be strong when I was about to deliver the twins; it’s so hurt, undefined pain, but she stayed awake at night just to accompany me along with my mother, And how she helped me to bath the babies when I was started to take care of them on my own... I would never forget how she could appear as a motherly figure despite her cold look. And that’s the reason I rooted for her, she deserved the happiness she felt these past months.

Having Bruce by her side made her changed, softer I should say. I was surprised to know that she’s dating Bruce but the more I saw her with him, the happier she looked and she seemed to be all about her new boyfriend. It’s so cute to see them actually. Bruce is a gentleman; he always treated my mother in law with respect and care. I knew Kris was not opposing as well because his mother just said that she wanted to date. He agreed, he even ignored the Chinese media that kept chasing him to clarify about his mother’s relationship with the famous philanthropist and told his mother to just enjoy the relationship. But then when she said that she wanted a marriage... everything’s changed.

I knew what Kris concern about the marriage is. He didn’t want to admit it but I knew that there are two things made him disagree with this marriage things: her mother seemed to forget his father and the fact that her mother would be married to someone, stealing her from him.

“Kris loves you so much, Mother. He just felt like you’re going to leave him, forgetting him...”

My mother in law was chuckling, shaking her head softly. “Is he a ten years old boy or what? There’s no way I’m going to leave him...”

“At least that’s the way he sees it... He’s being hard on you, not wanting you to leave him, forgetting him; you’re the only one he has in this world”

“He has you as well... I was once jealous of you, you’re stealing all his attention” she said, letting out a small laugh. “He’s such a possessive guy”

I nodded in agreement. Yes, Kris is a possessive guy. He’s never really creating a limitation for me to do whatever I want, but he always managed to stay close to me. And now with the twins, he’s getting more possessive than usual. But I like this side of him, it’s just proving that I met the right man that care for me and our kids.

“But if he still doesn’t approve of me and Bruce, what else to say? I’m not going to be happy if I lose my son...”

I frowned. That’s it? She’s not going to fight for her love?

“But what about Bruce, Mother? Aren’t you going to try to talk again to Kris?”

She softly shook her head.

“I’m done being all stubborn and hard all my life, Jinah... All I want for now is to see my son and you along with my grandchildren to live happily and well... If Bruce couldn’t accept the fact that we couldn’t marry, I should just let him go...” she said as she called on Jaz and Alex, bored with the fishes and started to play with the doll and the toy.

The twins understood their grandma call and started to walk closer to her. As the two walked hand in hand with their grandma to the pool on the back side of the house, I followed them by bringing the towels and their toys; we’re planning to have a swim lesson today. I looked at how my mother in law excitedly prepared the kids before they got in to the small pool, laughing along with the giggling twins. For once, it seemed that there’s no problem lied in her mind; it’s a usual grandmother with her grandchildren.

Some things probably better left unsaid, no matter how I wished I could get it done.  

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Be careful, Jaz! Don’t run too fast... Alex! Hey, Boy! Get back here...”

I looked at Jazmine and Alexander who appeared so happy and excited to see the yellowish leaves on the ground in the park. Getting Alex and Jaz around me, I fixed their jacket and shawl so they wouldn’t catch the cold. Kris, standing next to me, prepared the mat and the picnic basket that we prepared back at home.

It’s been a chili autumn with windy weather every day, but since there’s a sun today, we decided to drop by at the park, taking the twins out. They had been stranded at home for days due to the cold weather, so it’s a good chance to let them out and play in the park. We planned a short picnic there before heading for dinner at my parent’s. We’re just getting out from the car when these two little adorable angels started to step away from us, getting excited with the sea of dead leaves on the ground. Kris was the one who kept telling them to walk carefully and check on their surrounding, although the twins has not understand yet the sentences he said to them.

I wore my comfortable maxi dress along with a warm knitted sweater to cover me from cold. The kids already running in their sporty jeans and shoes, kept intentionally falling on the ground and enjoyed how the leaves flying because of their actions. Kris sat next to me on his dark blue jeans and his favorite sneakers, with his thick green parka covered his white shirt. We bathed under the soon, having our dark shade protecting our eyes as we watched the twins. There have been several families on the park as well; it’s really a good day to be outside.

“Alex, don’t play with the soil!” I told Alex who tried to dig on the soil. He looked at me, knowing that I shook my head to him, he just grinned and moved away, playing again with his sister.

“I’ve been missing a lot of their progress...” Kris suddenly said; drinking the mineral water he had on his hand.

“You’re working, it’s understandable...” I commented. Kris rarely arrived at home when the twins were awake. When he left home, he still could catch up with them, having Jaz or Alex on his lap as he took his breakfast, although sometimes the twins were not fully awake or they’re still in deep sleep. Lately, these two were having sleeping problems; they could stay awake until 1 in the morning.

“And I’ve been missing a lot on you too” he added, making me looked at him. I smiled weakly as I saw him looking at me with an apologetic look.

“The kids... They’re doing well. Alex and Jaz understood when I shook my head to them, it means no. They learned to eat with their hands. Alex really loves the french fries; Jaz is actually really like fish... So you don’t have to worry that they won’t eat fish, they eat them well. And they love vegetables as well” I started to share him the progress of our kids. I felt a little bad for Kris to feel left out.

From the very first time we’re having the babies, he told me that he wanted to be the full time father who always takes care of his children. It was not his fault though, the works had been so packed that he rarely had a time to grab lunch. I usually visited him, just to accompany him for a lunch delivery brought from home. He looked exhausted all the time, but I knew that it’s not only because of the work. It’s also happened because he’s having this thought of his mother.

He still ignored her, but I knew that he’s curious about his mother. It seemed that after the fight in the restaurant, he took it like his mother never said about the marriage, like there’s no Bruce in their life. I didn’t want to fight him, but I didn’t want to say that what he said was right. He hurts his mother, he hurts me as well. But it’s really depending on him... if he decided to go all the way opposing his mother... well then...

“I miss her” he suddenly said, almost like a whisper. “I miss talking to her, just catching up the way we used to be. It’s never happened during the presence of Bruce...”

I looked to Kris and found him watching straight to where our kids were. But from the side, I could notice how red his eyes were, although it’s covered with the shade.

“Kris...”

“She’s a treasure; she’s the last person I could relate. In terms of blood ties, she’s the most important person in this world form me...” he continued. “I’m really scared that she would be having a new life with Bruce and suddenly forgetting me...”

I sighed and then moved closer to Kris. I cupped his face so he could look at me.

“Honey, your mother is not going to leave you... She loves you, just like how you love her. She’s just finding someone that made her complete, Kris. Her love for you is different from her love to Bruce. She will be forever loving you, because you’re her son, the part of her she would never forget” I told him as I rubbed on his side softly, placing a soft kiss on his shoulder. “Stop thinking that you future step father is going to steal her from you”

“She must have been so angry towards me... I’m objecting her relationship with the man she loves...”

I smiled to myself. “It’s funny how you two asked for each other through me...” I said, making Kris looked at me.

“She asked about me?”

“Of course. What kind of parents not wanting to know about their child? Even when we grow old, our parents will still consider us as their baby, Kris... She asked about you, worry about you being angry towards her... It’s time for you two to make up... Hmm?” I said as I looked at him, smiling.

“I met him... Bruce, I mean. He seemed to be really serious towards my mother to the point he planned to cancel the wedding if I insisted to not having him in our family...” Kris said with a heavy voice. “I should not probably ruin my mother’s future relationship, hmm?”

“Both of them wanted to back away from their plan, if you’re saying no, Kris. See? How the two of them really appreciated you? Your mom is not leaving you and you should not leave her if later on they’re married... Your family will make a big fuss over it, Kris. And that’s the time for you to stay with her, to tell her that everything’s going to be alright. She met the man whom she loves and loves her back. There’s nothing better than two people in love to each other, Kris...”

Kris looked at the direction where our twins still playing together, chasing each other. He didn’t say anything else but then having his right arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him. I looked up and found his lovely face.

“And there’s nothing better than to have you with me. If you’re not here, I wouldn’t know what to do...” he whispered before he placed a soft kiss on my forehead, making me smiled towards his act. I hugged him and peck on his neck, showing my gratitude to him.

“I’m sorry, Jinah. For being angry to you, treating you the way I should never treat you... I’m sorry, I regret whatever I’ve done to you...” he said again, tightening his hug on me as he kissed the top of my head, again and again.

“Are you really regretting it?” I asked him, leaning comfortable to his chest.

“Definitely”

“Promise me you would never do it again to me, okay? I really cried that night; your words really hurt me...” I said, snuggled more to his warmth.

“I’m sorry, Baby. I’m really sorry...”

“I forgive you already...”

We stayed like that for a while, enjoying each other’s warmth as we watched our twins. It’s so funny to see them just looking around, sometimes falling sometimes excitedly running over a butterfly, and in the other times one of them would call me or Kris, maybe to let us know that they’re doing fine.

“What if... we still have Baby Bear with us, Kris?” I suddenly asked him. I’m trying to portray a boy that looked like Kris, aged around 6 and played around with the twins.

“He’ll be a very big help for us to take care of these twins. He’d be the big brother who help me watch them as we’re waiting for you to finish your work and when we’re on the trip overseas, I still can have a time with you while Baby Bear played with Jaz and Alex” he replied, letting out a small laugh.

“I miss him, but I’m happy with what we have now, Kris...”

“The feeling is mutual...”

We continued to stay like that and checked on the twins, still amazed that we’re both stayed strong during the time we took care of them. Jaz and Alex are good babies, they never really bothered me and Kris, and although they started to have sleeping and eating problems, we faced it one by one as we’re getting closer to get to know each other. It’s hard at first, I had no idea about them, I didn’t know what Jaz like or what Alex would like to eat, but there’s always lesson learned. We’re really enjoying this parenting phase in life; we didn’t want to miss anything from them.

Kris then stood up when Jaz fell to the ground, face first. Alex just looked at her, didn’t know what to do. Jaz started to cry and that’s why Kris needs to step up there to calm his little princess. I smiled to myself when Jaz stopped crying once she’s held by his father. Kris kneeled on the grass, talked with his twins as he appointed the pond in the middle of the park and told them to check on the fish there, since he knew that the twins like to play with the fish. He walked hand in hand with them, although the gap between him and the twins were too far.  

I watched the three of them walking, with Alex sometimes appointing to everything caught his attention, maybe mumbling words like he used to do with me at home. Jaz started to pay attention to whatever her father said. Kris kneeled to teach them how to do a rock stepping. Alex just seriously watched how Kris did it and after that, giggling when he tried on his own. Aside from the cute twins, I felt happy that Kris still managed to get close to the twins. I took the camera and caught the moment silently.

Had I never met Kris, I probably still stuck on my life, thinking only about work and work. Marriage and child was never passed on the me six or seven years ago. But when I met him, I started to think things I never thought before. And it felt so beautiful to think that I’m not the only who thought so. I’m so thankful to be blessed with this family.

“Mamaaaa...” my thought was broken by the voice of Jaz who’s now running along with Alex, fighting to be the one who arrived first.

“Hello, my babies...” I said to them. Suddenly Alex and Jaz hopped above me and attacked me with kisses. I couldn’t help but giggle towards them. “What’s happening?”

“I told them to run and kiss you and this is happening...” Kris responded, as he took his phone and starts to take pictures. I brought the twins in my arms and kissed them as they kissed me.

“More kisses from mommy...” I told them and they just giggled, kissing and hugging me more with Kris laughing as he saw me surrounded by the kids.

We’re being playful here and at that time, I felt so blessed, really blessed for having such a nice husband and two adorable kids, things I never dreamed before. I asked for happiness, He granted me with a life time joy...

Thank you for giving me such a blessing, God.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Are you nervous?”

“I’m not”

“You’re nervous”

“I am not, Kris Wu”

I smiled as I heard my mother’s reply. She looked so pretty in the simple Vera Wang white dress. She had her arm on me as we walked past the vineyard. I knew she looked nervous, but she hid it well, although I still noticed it painted all over her face.

My mother and I finally made up. After thinking thoroughly about everything, I decided to come to her and be honest about what I’ve felt about her plan of being Bruce’s wife. We had a talk that day, a long one. I stayed at her home, spending time together with her, and in the end, blessed my mother’s plan to marry Bruce Lang. I’m glad that we finally could be cool about this and proud with me to finally accept that my mother needs to move on with her life. She’s not going anywhere, it’s just she found someone who’s going to be with her, taking care of her, loving her.

I knew she’s in love with him and I knew very well how Bruce appreciated my mother. They planned a wedding and here we are, at one of the finest place to get married: a vineyard in France. Bruce is a big wine lover and he proposed my mother in a vineyard in California, so to celebrate the wedding, they chose to hold it in the vineyard in France, the place he really likes.

Bruce has this place in Var, Provence, an hour drive from Nice airport. It’s a perfect private building with a beautiful chateau surrounded by a vineyard. Bruce and my mother invited our closed relatives and provided the accommodation for them. We arrived two days before the wedding day and I had to say that we had fun with all of the family members and the kids. Uncle Frank and his wife came along with Janice and her husband, Lay, and their daughter, Dana, who’s now aged 4 years old. Only Luhan and Tao’s mother who came to the wedding, since they’re the closest to my mother. Luhan came with her fiancé, Jia came with her husband and son, and Tao, as always, came solo. None of the elder came to the wedding although we personally invited them.

The elder were angry to my mother, of course. But I fully explained to them that no matter what, my mother deserved to get her own happiness. They didn’t say anything else besides asking my mother to remove the Wu from her name. I knew it’s happening soon, but I didn’t really bother with whatever the elder did. My mother’s happiness worth more than their act towards me and my mother.

The wedding held in such a graceful setting and everyone’s fully attentive to the priest as he officiated the wedding of my mother and Bruce. Since Bruce has no child, his closest nephew and niece came to support him. I got to know them pretty fast and I knew they’re nice people to hang out with, so it’s good so far. If she used to take care of me and my wedding, now it’s my turn to make sure that my mother married to a good family. And she got it.

Once they’re officially married, my mother and Bruce danced together for the first time. I was on the next queue to dance with her and after that, came my little boy, who wanted to stay close with his grandma. My mother always said that Alex really resembled the little me, so maybe that’s why whenever Alex wanted to be close with her, she never refused. She had Alex in her hands, playfully danced with him while Bruce stood near them, watching at these two adorably. My mother really treated my twins carefully and sometimes, spoiling them too much, just like how Jinah’s parents did. The grandparents seemed to love the idea of loving the grandchildren more than they love their own son and daughter.

“Dada...” Jaz took my hand and appointed to her shoes that’s almost off from her tiny little feet. I kneeled and helped her to fix the white shoes. Jaz wore a beige Dolce Gabbana dress with bolero and a headband, her pink cheeks matched well with dress. She really looked like the mini version of my wife. I took her cheek and pinched it softly, the baby girl smiled as she awarded with what I did to her. She gave me a rose stalk, from the total five stalks she had on her little basket. She played flower girls along with Dana and it’s cute to see her already this big to do stuff like this.

“Dada...” another voice heard, this time it’s Alex. I fixed his bow tie that matched with his black single-ed Armani Junior suit. He just stood there next to me, not saying anything else.

It’s thanks to my wife who has such a good sense of dressing our twins that I didn’t really have to get dizzy trying to match their clothes with us. She had been busy with helping my mother’s event organizer to prepare the wedding as she prepared all of our clothes for the event. The last two days in Var were spent with preparation and more preparation for the wedding. It wasn’t I didn’t help her, but I knew I was not much of a help in event department, so I just spent the time handling the twins since it’s their first time to go to a vineyard as well as visiting other countries aside from China. With kids, everything in this world 

As usual, my twins got to be the attention since they’re the youngest recently with unique traits of being fraternal twins, so guests usually looked for them after they congratulated my mother and Bruce. But at some points, the twins got tired and moody, and the best cure for this, of course, their mother.

I looked around to find my wife. She has not been seen around me, she practically involved with the flow of the event so I tried to look around the organizer table, no one’s there. Jaz started to be cranky but Alex still managed to share a shy smile to the guests that greeted him. I thought that we probably should go around the vineyard to find her so I walked the kids to see their mother.

“Alex... Don’t run, Baby. Hold your sister hand, don’t leave her on the back...” I told Alex. The baby boy seemed to enjoy running around or moving fast, but he’s pretty cute when he stopped his track and looked back, finding his sister walked behind him. Alex gave her his right hand and Jaz took it, the twins walked hand in hand cutely. I smiled as I saw them, they’re really are my world.

I never got bored as I watched them developed new progress every single day. There has always been something new: new habit we learned from each of them, new food they like, new things they dislike, new words they managed to say. Oh, they’re in love with Thomas and friends anyway, there are no day spent without them chanting on Thomas the train. It’s a routine for Jinah to sing along with them whenever the show started on the TV. And recently, I learned the song well... because it’s the easiest way to make Jaz be calm when she’s moody, aside from me having her in my arm.  

When we reached the back of the vineyard, I found Jinah chatted with one of the guests she knew. Looking stunning on her beige Zuhair Murad racer back gown, Jinah laughed with guests and shared some stories, she’s still not aware with our presence there. I would never understand how this woman managed to make me fell for her, again and again. She’s just standing there, laughing, doing her things, but when I saw her, I felt that my heart beating fast, just like when I first realized that I love her, that I want this woman to be in my life, forever.

“Alex and Jaz, go to your mommy” I told the twins and just like that, Alex brought Jaz with him to walk closer to Jinah and they’re really cute when they grabbed on her legs.

“Mama...” Alex called her and Jinah immediately turned away from the guests and excused herself from the conversation.

“Hello...” Jinah kneeled and had the twins hugged her. “Hmm... what is it, Babies?”

“Jaz wanted to be with you, she’s cranky...” I told her, taking Alex with me. He leaned his head to my shoulder; the baby boy seemed to be tired already.  

“So when the kids went cranky you’ll find me?” she raised one of her eyebrows, playfully asking me. “Come here with Mommy, Sweetie...” she stood up and had Jaz in her arms. Although the twins would be turning two in another six months, they still acted all spoiled and clingy, making it hard for us to not spoil them back. We decided to bring the kids back to the chateau before we attended the reception’s dinner. It would be hard to maintain the kids’ mood, but it’s still manageable. Jinah had her plan, of taking the kids to enjoy some warm bath as they watched Thomas. On our way to the chateau, we walked past the vineyard while the sun slowly went down, getting ready to set.

I took Jinah’s hand, intertwined her fingers with mine. I always love the feeling of having her hands with me, it felt like she's closer to me and would never leave.

“This place is so beautiful, Baby” she said, sighing. “If only I’m not having Jaz in my hand while wearing this dress...” she chuckled, shaking her head. Jaz looked up to her, recognized that her mother mentioned her name. “No, Baby. I’m just saying...” Jinah told her, smiling at the baby girl.

“We could go dancing... Sipping some wine...” I said to her, taking her hand to my direction so we could get closer to each other. I rubbed her inner palm, making her looked at me.

“Yet we’re here, with our babies, taking them for a nap or maybe some snacks...” she replied, chuckled to her words. “Have you ever imagined this?”

“What? Having these cutie pies in our life?”

Jinah rolled her eyes playfully. “Well, just like this... Be a parent, having them around us...”

“Do you want an honest answer?”

She looked at me with a confused face but then nodded. I moved a little close to her and whispered, “I enjoyed more the process of creating a baby rather than-“

“Kris Wu!” she looked up to me and playfully slapped my upper arm, cutting my words effectively. “I can’t believe you”

I laughed to my own, but Alex protested me for I was having my shoulder shook too hard for him. I took Jinah’s hand again and once again laced our fingers as we walked.

“I never imagined about this... Marrying you, having twins, and changing diapers while taking phone calls about business...” I told her, glancing at her smiling face. “But it’s the best thing that ever happened in my life, for sure...” I took her hand and brought it to my lips, kissing it softly.

Jaz looked what I did and she smiled as she exchanged glanced at me.

“Do you want to know the best thing I’ve ever did to myself?”

“What is it?” I asked her.

She smiled before she said her answer. “To come to Jaejoong’s birthday party, had I never went to that party...”

“We’ll never see each other...” I finished her words.

“And these two adorable bunnies...” she pauses to kiss Jaz and Alex head, “would never be here... I don’t want that though...” she said, grasping my hand.

“Glad you made it to my life...” I pulled her closer to me, placing a soft kiss to the side of her head. Jinah just chuckled as she chatted with the twins, they’re really tired they barely saying anything. We continued to walk to the chateau, hoping to arrive as soon as possible. Once the gorgeous building seen, I couldn’t help but feeling relieved. Alex or even the twins combines as one was not that heavy for me, but for them being clingy and wanted to stay on my upper body, it’d be a little hard and of course, tiring.  

“Baby”

“Hmm?”

“Do you feel like having wine?”

“After the twins sleeping?” she suggested. I nodded, agreed to her offer.

Sure. Babies over everything else in this world.

We reached the chateau and suddenly, Alex wanted to jump off from me. Once we let him off to the ground, his sister wanted to follow. Oh, twins... always wanted to do things the other did... Jinah warned them to not running around as we followed them from the back.

I had my arms around her waist, peppering her shoulder with my kisses, continued to walk to our room with the kids leading our way.

“What is it? Missing me?” she responded, giggled to my kiss on her neck.

“So much. Can’t we have the kids sleep in other room tonight?” I asked her while I peck on her back.

She rolled her eyes. “You’re impossible... They’re sleeping with us, Honey...”

“So when will Daddy got his time?” I softly bit her ear, she moved a bit, feeling ticklish over there.

“Soon, Honey, soon...” she replied, kissing my cheeks and slowly, releasing herself from me. She turned around and looked at me.

“Tomorrow afternoon. Janice wants to take the twins with her for a short outing. I think... we can use that” she said, ending her words with a wink.

Darn. This woman. She didn’t say anything else and just continued to chase the twins.

“Baby” I called her one more time. “I love you, you’re the best”

She smiled and as she opened the door to our room to let the kids walked inside, she said with the sweetest tone I ever heard.

“Always have, always will...”

It’s really amazed me how she managed to catch my heart like this. It’s impossible for me to take back my feeling for her, I’m trapped with her, forever. Smiling to myself, I followed them going inside the room. It’s a huge room we have here. Aside from the bedroom with large comfortable bed, we also have a nice living room with huge couch and wide LED TV. I laughed when the twins squeezed their butts to the couch, making their mother told them to stay calm and not being all rushy.

“Dada... Thomas...” Jaz gave me the controller, asking to look for Thomas.

Jinah gave them their fruit juice and while they’re enjoying it, they slowly drown to be sleepy as they watched the show. Jinah checked on their clothes, preparing to change if it’s necessary. And as the show neared to finish, the twins suddenly wanted to sit on my laps, both of them. But I let them be; it’s been a while since they're sitting on my lap, playing with each other. Before I realized it, they already fell asleep and I placed a kiss on their head, smelling their natural baby scent while listening to Jinah feeling all happy and glad about the wedding, casually replied her when it’s necessary.       

Well, this is my life now. Listening to my wife, attending to my child’s needs, while juggling with works, some arguments with my wife, or with my mother, but still, it’s enjoyable and I didn’t want to miss anything, no matter how people said that marriage is boring, feeling likes living in a prison, and yeah... kids are hell. People may say so, but it’s not for me. We may have a hard time, the lowest period in our life, went for argue, but we also had our best time together, welcoming twins in our life, spending our quality time despite the busy schedule... But I have no other words to say than feeling grateful; for the woman that I’ve loved for years, the adorable kids that colored our little family, and of course, for the complete life I have.

The timing is just perfect.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Finale! Like, really, it’s a final of this long-chaptered story. So many feels as I tried to write the last chapter that wrap the story I started a year ago. Every moment writing every chapter was marvelous, I’d always remember it.

The idea came up when I listened to Lily Allen’s Who’d Have Known. A flash of scenario appeared and I started to create something in my mind, it wouldn’t go away so I kept thinking of it. And then I got the big idea of it, but have no perfect cast. I initially wanted to do with Changmin and Sooyoung, but I thought that there’re some scenes that wouldn’t match them and I thought of Kris and Nana. Not sure to do them since I’ve just done with Lost in Translation series, but the more I think of it, the more I felt how compatible they’re in this story... So that’s how pretty much the story ends up with Kris and Nana.

I’m happy that actually I made this story for them. It’s so easy to build emotional relationship between these two. I read so many things about them, watching their fancam, looking at their gestures; I did observations about them to make the cast here alive. It’s not purely their real character; of course, I mixed it with the character that I wanted to appear from our main cast here. And I’m pretty much satisfied with the result... I hope you all feeling the same with me to...

I’d like to say thanks to all of you that read, subscribe, or even upvote this story. I really appreciate it much. I never missed any comments from you guys, I tried to see what’s missing, what point that I have not yet portray in the chapters, and I’m glad some of you also commented the way I write or the grammar that I’m using. English is not my first language, I’m really sorry for any grammatical mistake. I tried my best to edit and review it, but I had it beta-ed so once it’s fixed, I’ll reupload it again.

Also even though it sounds silly, I really want to say thanks to Nana and Kris. Despite the depressing time of Kris leaving EXO this year, he’s still my muse to write this story. I’ve once felt like losing him, but then again, I’m back to my root to write this story. And as for Nana, I’m happy she has so many shows and CF and interviews as well so I got a chance to learn more about her. I knew what I saw in them might not be the real one, but still, they helped me to relive the character of Kris Wu and Im Jinah here.

It’s the finale, finally. And I would like to take a moment from this story to get a proper break. I finally finished it before 2015 as promised and yeah, I hope in 2015 I still can write more stories, with better grammar and better story line, so you’re not getting bored with me. Please bear my mind who really likes to make a plot, but being such a lazy to update it...well to be honest, writing a chapter is not easy. I spent so many times learning about stuff that I want to portray in the story but if you never experienced it, it’d be weird, and that’s why research is important.

Oh, I recalled some researches that I’ve done to support Perfect Timing. I have not yet been married and never get pregnant, so I have no idea at all what would it be like. Aside from Google, I asked friends as well, those who’re married, pregnant, and even having miscarriage. All the experience, I put it as resume for this story. It’s a bit funny when people thought that I’m pregnant because I asked a lot of things about morning sickness, progress of baby in each week, and other things. It’s a fun thing; I got a lot of new knowledge on that department. Just waiting for my Kris to come and propose a marriage lol.

That’s all from me. I don’t know if anyone’s gonna read this, but yeah, I just want to say thanks. I previously planned to mention your name one by one, especially those who interacted with me during the process of this story writing... but, it’s too long, there’re too many people so I’m sorry, I can’t mention you all.. But I appreciate every comment you left here. Thank you for supporting me and this story here.

With this, I hereby tell that Perfect Timing is ended.

Thank you once again...

xoxo,

yuriyaa