Pandora

Perfect Timing

"Pandora"

 

I tapped my fingers on the kitchen’s island as I bit my lower lips, trying to not losing my cool over the awaiting tune on the other side of the phone. When the tune ended I was greeted by a female sound. Voice mail. Crap. I sighed and softly patted my forehead.

“Ma’am, there are three flower arrangements sent for you. Should we put it on the display table or just bringing it to the backyard?”

“Mrs. Wu, the photographer assistant asked permission to take picture from above, which would be passing the twins room. Is it okay to let them go on their own or should I asked one of the security to accompany them?”

“I’m sorry, Ma’am. We should replace the display table, the gifts are too much there and there’s no space anymore to keep the new gifts that are just coming...”

“Ma’am, people from Mother Magazine is already here. I told her to just wait in the backyard along with other guests, but she wished to do a short interview with you before the shoot start”

I closed my eyes and took a very long deep breath as I listened to what my maids were saying. I have a total 5 maids in this house and no matter how well they’re doing their job in helping me to maintain this event, still, I felt like I need more hands. It’s a great thing that In Hee, who’s in charge for my twins, was not here to report anything.

Yet.

“Ma’am, Miss Jazmine is crying for no reason... I tried to calm her but she’s still crying. I think the crowd annoyed her, she’s with your mother right now” In Hee came just in time, adding me with more troubles. I have so many guests and things to prepare, yet one of my babies was crying and the cake had not yet arrived! I really wanted to scream right now but all of my maids were looking at me, waiting for my words. I had both of my palms in my head, confused. At a time like this, I need my husband to be with me but knowing how we’re having guests outside, it seemed impossible to call on Kris right now.

“Just put the entire flower outside, we had enough flowers inside this house, no need to add it. Send one of our security people to accompany the photographer, told him that the photographer is not allowed to take a picture of the house inside. You don’t have to change the table, just put several of the gifts inside first. And In Hee, please take Jaz to her room, meet me there” I told all of them what to do in one breathing and once I stopped talking, all of them doing the things I told them right away.

I walked as I tried to call to the delivery guy that was about to send me the cake that I’ve ordered three weeks ago. When he finally answered the call, it’s all hell for him.

“Get the cake in ten minutes!” I snapped at him and ended the call as quickly as possible.

Once I got inside the baby room, I quickly sat on the coach, sighing one more time. Everything that happened today... It’s beyond crazy.

My twins e. They’re having their first birthday celebration and as a proud mother, I wanted to handle the event on my own. We hired party decorator and event organizer of course, but the details of the party were handled by me, including the availability of the cakes, invitations, hampers for the guests, and everything else. But thirty minutes before the party started, the birthday cake was not yet arrived and it really irked me. I’m a perfectionist, there’s no way I didn’t feel stressed out over this late delivery that may caused trouble on my babies first birthday. Oh no, I’m not gonna tolerate that.

Sora offered help actually, but I just wanted her to be the guest and enjoy the party. There has been several small entertainment and games for the babies and toddlers that I invited today, most of them were our colleague, friends, and family. I was not yet out to greet the guests due to the cake and I made a mental note to scold the manager as soon as the party done.

When In Hee finally came to the room, my little baby girl was still crying with tears all over her face. Once I took over my daughter, In Hee quickly helped to prepare new clothes and shoes for Jaz since the one she wore was somehow looked dirty and messy.

“What happened to her?” I asked In Hee as wiped her tears softly, patting her back while I put her on my chest. “Honey, stop crying please... What’s wrong with you?” I whispered softly to her, trying to make her calm, but Jaz still cried.

I calmly ed my blouse, getting ready to feed Jaz. The baby girl finally stayed calm once she got the milk, softly looking at me as her tiny hand played with the collar of my blouse. She’s so cute yet moody, unlike her sibling who’s incredibly always in a good mood.

“Miss Jaz was playing around with Mr. Wu before she’s taken by your mother, Ma’am. After that, she kept looking grumpy and in the end crying. Mrs. Sora also tried to calm her, but she refused” In Hee explained while bringing the clothes and shoes for Jaz. The little girl seemed to like the shoes, she exchanged in between giggling and drinking the milk when In Hee changed it for her. Jaz and Alex like In Hee a lot, which was a good and a bad thing: I like them to be close with In Hee so they wouldn’t be having a hard time when they noticed my absence when I need to leave the house for a while but I didn’t want them to be closer to In Hee compared to me and Kris. No.  

“And where’s Alex?”

“Young Master Alex is with his father, he played around with Young Master Kangwoo as well, Ma’am”

As expected from my baby Alex, the cheerful baby boy. Although they’re twins, Alex and Jaz were different, both physical and character wise. They’re fraternal twins so both of them didn’t resemble each other but either me or Kris. Alex was always calm and steady; even on the day he’s born, he’s just crying when he’s first breathed the air here but then calmed once I touched him. Jaz was more moody and a bit sensitive, I didn’t know why but she cried more often compared to Alex but when she’s with Kris, she would always stay calm and be a cute little baby girl as per usual. It’d be easy to tell that Jaz was more into Kris like Alex to me.

“Da...Da...” Jaz said as she pulled away from my and just plainly looked at me, her cute small fingers touched the top of my softly.

It’s like their habit, they would touch my after I nursed them and we would have a short conversation as I lulled them to sleep. I usually talked with them about my day, about their father, or our family. Alex would be all the gleeful and smiley when I talked to him, while Jaz would respond with a soft giggling or plainly looking at me, waiting for me to tell her the full story. And it was a perfect bonding time with them. Kris had it different though, he likes to play with them until they’re asleep on his chest or just had one of them on his lap as he’s doing his stuff; reading a book or typing on his proposal.    

“Are you looking for daddy, Jaz?” I asked her, taking her small hand as I rubbed it softly. The twins had not yet started to talk full sentence, but they made sounds that sometimes was heard as “dada” or “mama”. The twins already learned to walk as well, although most of the times they needed to hold onto the furniture to help them stand and walk, step by step. Personally, Kris and I loved to have our dinner as we looked how our babies struggled to walk and fall and it’d be an instant laugh from us to see them falling and standing up again and falling again. But once it turned to be a cry, that’s the end of our laugh; it’d be another night trying to make them sleep well, although it also meant that no sleep for us.  

Overall, it’s a fun thing to be a parent of two. It’s a new world for both of us but we enjoyed it so far. Having twins was never crossed my mind before, since both of me and Kris has no twins history in our family. The only possible thing that could explain this event was that since I was pregnant in the age of my 30s, the egg cells could release two in a time; in my case, resulting fraternal twins. But to have Alex and Jaz in our life was surely a blessing that we always feel grateful for.

The first time we’re taking care of Alex and Jaz, it’s like a whole new chapter in our life. Both of our parents helped to take care of them, since I was being a little too weak the first two weeks after I delivered the baby. From feeding them to the point cleaning up their pee and poops, Kris and I really learned a lot. Sometimes I could go crazy when they’re not sleeping although it’s already passed midnight or when we thought we could finally sleep at peace and the two of them awakened at two in the morning. We always appeared like zombie the first three months after they’re born; but to see these little cutie pies moving around and giggling on their own, every single night passed without a proper sleep felt okay for us, especially for Kris.

I knew he’s always gentle and care but to see him properly holding the babies and even changed their diapers in a right way made me felt a little jealous of him. He’s naturally a good father, unlike me who still struggled to fit the role of mother. I was so clumsy with the babies and maybe that’s why Jaz preferred to go to her father. She always loves to be with Kris and slept on his chest; it wasn’t like she dislikes me though. We’re a good friend, but when she’s not in the mood, only her father that could be the savior of the night.

Kris and Alex had a good bond as well, but the baby boy was clingier towards me. Most of the times, he likes to had his arms around my legs so when I stood up, he would be attached there. He enjoyed it as a game, but I really couldn’t move with my baby on my legs. But I’m glad that my babies were all close to me and Kris.

The twins often called easily socializing for they rarely cried when they met new people, although sometimes Jaz preferred not to be touched by a person she met the first time and would had her face on my chest when she’s being asked by some passerby who wanted to talk with her. She’s a bit like me when she’s moody though, my parents and Kris agreed to say so.

But despite all of the up and down we’re having as we welcomed them into our life, we felt grateful to have them. I was a moody , I knew, and I really couldn’t handle my temper sometimes, but facing my kids somehow made me endured it a little longer. No matter how angry I was or how annoyed I was with the situation, I always reminded myself that this is how I should face the challenge of raising not only one but two babies in the same time. And without Kris by my side, it would be impossible to do.

As I said earlier, he’s really with good with the kids and although sometimes we argued because we thought that we had different stance on how we’re doing this for our babies, I learned that he didn’t mean to be angry to me. I knew I could be hard to talk to and for him to patiently listened to me was more than enough. He accommodated me the way I thought could never be done. He’s doing great in taming my emotional side.  And I love him more for that.

Not too long after I nursed on Jaz, I changed her clothes and retouched my makeup before meeting the rest of the guests. Our backyard was filled with families and friends. Luhan and Tao came to see us, Jongin and his brand new girlfriend, Kyungsoo along with Chen and his wife, Ji Eun, and of course, Sora with her family. My mother in law came to home as well along with several cousins from Guangzhou, my parents, my aunts, my cousins; it’s packed and I felt happy that they all coming to celebrate the twins birthday along with us.

When I blended in with the guests, everything was forgotten. I’m not angry with the delivery guy again, I had a lot of laughs and pictures taking with the guests, the twins were exceptionally calm and fun, everything’s perfect. I smiled as I saw the birthday party hit a success, the first party that I ever hosted and more in the future, I bet. I had Alex on my arm when Tao came with excited face.

“Jaz said ‘Da Da’ and I bet it’s her calling my name, Jie. Every time we’re spending time together, I always ask her to call me Tao and then now, when I played with her, she kept saying ‘Da Da’ as she looked at me. She learned to call my name, Jie!” he happily chirped.

“Has it ever occurred to you that she’s actually calling her father, which is me?” Kris came and killed the mood. Tao just looked at him with pouted lips. “Logically thinking, Tao”

“But I taught her to call me Tao” he insisted.

“And why would she call you that? She supposed to call you Uncle Tao” Luhan jumped in, walking as he brought his fruit punch, standing next to me while pinching on Alex’s chubby cheeks, making the baby growled cutely.

“I’m a cool modern uncle. No need to make me look old by adding the word ‘Uncle’, the kids can just call me my name and we’ll be like best friend!” Tao explained as he offer a fist to Alex with his cheesy wide smile. Alex replied with a giggle and imitated how his uncle made a fist, but the baby still not understand what’s happening here.

I smiled to see these cousins dialogue. As always, Tao was the one who’s bullied for being the youngest one. It was always like this whenever the Wu met; different with the first generation of the Wu, the cousins line were happier and all about being together as family rather than thinking who worth the throne. Kris is still now the only heir of his line and about to pass it to Alex, but really, we tried our best to explain to the elder that we really don’t want our baby to feel what young Kris felt back when he’s still a child. And for this communication, I need the support from my mother in law. Well, in separate discussion though.

I noticed that Jaz was with my father who had her in his lap as he talked along with my mother and my mother in law as well. My father spoiled the twins a lot, no matter how I tried to avoid them being too spoiled by their father. But that’s what people said, that your parents will all hard on you but soft to your babies. It’s really happened, my parents and Kris’ mother totally changed. They’re only hard to us, but really soft to the babies and so far, the twins enjoyed all the attention that was given to them. They’re like celebrities in our family recently, everyone came to our house just to see them since they’re the first twins in our family and also because a new heir was born. I’m happy though to have everyone being so attentive towards our newborn, it’s a good thing.

When the party’s over and we’ve sent the whole family and guests leaving our home, I left Kris conversed with his cousins before they’re parting since Alex started to be a little moody; he yawned, he grunted, and in the end, began to pout and refused to respond to anyone around him. Jaz stayed with Kris, comfortably clanged to his torso. I walked Alex inside the house as I asked In Hee’s help to prepare warm water for Alex and Jaz, it’s time for them to take a bath.

I was about to ask In Hee to take Jaz right when Kris stepped inside the baby’s bathroom along with Jaz. She ate chocolate cupcakes and got the chocolate smeared around her face. I couldn’t help but laughing as I saw her face, thing was that she enjoyed leaning to her father’s chest that the chocolate smeared moved to Kris’ shirt.

“It’s totally right for me to remove my suit before this little chocolate lover made this white shirt into a brown shirt” he commented as he placed a kiss on Jaz head. The baby girl looked up and called him ‘Da Da’, making him pleased over her call to him. “Join your brother on the bathtub, Sweetie” he said, helping me to remove Jaz’s dress before putting her on the bathtub along with Alex who already enjoyed warm water as he played with his toys.  The two babies giggled once they’re playing together in the water.

“They’re exceptionally hyperactive today” I said as I bathed the twins. They’re mumbling things I couldn’t understand, but still, it’s nice to hear their soft baby voice. In their first year, the twins progressed pretty much compared to their sixth months. They communicated well; not only they already called me ‘Ma Ma’ and addressed their father ‘Da Da’, they also started to understand when we say something simple to them. For example, when my parents left the room, I always said to them “Say goodbye to grandpa and grandma” and sometimes they mimicked my hand waving at my parents. Oh, and they started to say “No”, randomly.

And of course Kris used this moment to record our babies saying no to everything he said.

Jazmine, do you like the food? The food, Baby?”

“No”

“Do you want to go for a walk with Daddy?”

“No”

“Alexander, do you love Mommy?”

“No

He just did it for fun and since the baby only could say no, it became an interesting video to watch. He kept asking them about everything and they kept saying ‘no’ while they’re getting busy with their toys. My husband was all about moving the videos of the twins from his phone to the laptop and never stopped watching it again and again. Those days when he should be away outside the country for business, he’d checking on the videos and smiled all over again. Chen once sent me a picture of Kris watching the babies’ videos and he got his fingers on the screen, wondering if it’s really them there. It was a sweet thing I ever knew from Kris and I thought that’s cute.  

The twins were both pretty much heavy now and since they started to walk, it’s a bit hard on me and Kris. They’re not forever being in our arms just like when they’re still babies... They started to know their walking ability and they could made us have a walk around the backyard to accompany them walking. They’re still wiggling sometimes, but Jaz and Alex really love to walk everywhere. We’re still not allowing them to take the stairs, but that’s okay, the house is big enough for them to explore.

I talked to Jaz and Alex as they’re taking a bath with Kris standing on the door, looking at me. It’s his giggle and sudden peck on the side of my head that made me asked him.

“What’s with the giggle?”

Kris moved closer to me as he had his arms around me.

“It’s just... I love to see you in such a domestic look. Although you’re still on your heels and wearing your designer dress, Honey, you’re still darn looking hot as you’re taking the babies for bath” he said as he sniffed on me.

“I’m serious” he said again since I didn’t reply him. “When you’re changing their diapers when we’re outside home, I swear you look as fine as you’re being so skillful on that part while quickly cleaned everything so there’s no mess left... It’s really pretty, Honey”

“Well, I appreciate it if you think that it’s such a nice thing... But you could be more of a help if you can bring me their towels, Baby” I said, smiling after I had my head leaning to his shoulder. Kris nodded and walked to take their towel.

Kris is such a sweet husband, I must say. No matter how annoying I could be, he still managed to just fit in. He’s rarely the one who started the fire, although he’s mostly the cause of my anger, but still, when there’s a time when I felt like I couldn’t do it, he always appeared to be my hero, the one who really tame me. And his support was beyond than amazing during the post pregnancy period. I really bragged about him anywhere, everywhere; but I don’t care, I’m happy and proud about my husband, the father of my babies, I would want people to know that I’m married to the right man.

I know it’s annoying, I caught Jongin was once rolling his eyes when I shared the story of Kris being a very understanding husband. He massaged my legs until I fell asleep when I had to carry the twins for days, everywhere. Yes, I knew there’s a twin stroller, but the babies refused to stay in the stroller. It’s one of a hellish day I’ve ever had, but here’s my husband, being all attentive (or more to guilty since he’s having fun playing golf during that certain event, leaving me with the babies and sweat all over my face).

When the night came, it’s always be a challenging tough time we had with the kids. They’re sometimes hard to deal with during this time, but since they’re being so active today, there’s no need to worry. Jaz and Alex already fell asleep on their cribs, and after I made sure that they’re sleeping well, I walked to my room, finding Kris already on the bed.

“Come here” he said when he noticed I already inside the room, patting the empty space next to him.

I walked to our bed, removing my sleeping robe, revealing myself in my night gown. I climbed to the bed and intentionally giving him a side hugs as I placed my arms around his neck. Kris just looking at me with a knowing look and smile, playing with the back of my hair as he pulled me closer to him.

“I haven’t really spending time with you” he said, having his chin on the top of my head.

We’re lying on the bed; I had my nose facing his chest. I sniffed on him before circling his stomach to place my hand. I felt his kiss at the top of my head. “No wonder Alex is so clingy... He got it from you”

“But you love us being clingy to you, right?” I responded, half whispering. I really felt so tired to the point talking took effort. He just softly nodded and let out a small laugh.

“It’s a very tiring day...” he hummed.

“Yes, no doubt on it...”

“But it’s a successful party, Honey. I’m proud of you to handle it on your own”

“Hmm...”

Yes, we’re successfully holding the party, with tears and sweat, of course. Days and nights taking care the babies as I planned each details of the party. Flowers, cakes, food, tables, decoration, clothes, invitation, everything! I was kind of proud with myself for not being crazy yet as I juggled the stuff with my daily routine as a mother. I wonder how would a mother do everything on their own, it’s really amazing actually what we’re doing here: taking care of our kids, husband, home, and of course, ourselves!

“Finally... A night without the babies” I said, closing my eyes, slowly drifted to the dream world.

“Mmhmm. They really couldn’t stop bringing me to walk them...” Kris whined, pulling me closer to him so he could place his chin to the top of my head. The babies started to learn walking and they’re seriously enjoying the fact that those cute little feet could bring them anywhere and just like not wanting to miss any place without us, our babies really like to drag me and Kris along with them to the places they wanted to see. It was fun for several days but lately it was more walking and less sitting, and trust me, it’s really exhausting.

On top of that, I really missed this kind of moment with Kris. It wasn’t like I hate having our babies with us, but there’re days when I craved just an intimate moment like this with Kris, without our babies. We’re still close with each other, but a hug during movie or a slight hug as I served him dinner was not enough. We really need to create a time, just the two of us, but while our little angels still learning to adjust to their surrounding, Kris and I agree to focus on them first. We’re going to have so much time in the future, but for now, it’s the babies first.   

Kris and I already closed our eyes as I snuggled up more to him. It’s comfortable, it’s silent, and we both knew we’re so exhausted we deserved a proper sleep at least. We really stopped talking, I could hear his soft breathing, and I realized my eyes got heavier. It’s hard to keep my eyes opened with of this tired feeling. I recalled that I wanted to talk with him more about today’s party but I knew I still had tomorrow morning to talk with him, so I let it go. Tonight was one of those rare nights when we could finally asleep without having to deal with the babies and we really should use it very well.  

But the blessing only lasted in few short hours. We heard our alarm and as a cue, Jaz started to let out small cry followed by a louder one. I sighed and opened my eyes slowly, looking at the baby monitor. Jaz started to cry, but managed to be calm a bit before she started to cry again, louder this time. I was about to ask Kris to help me calming Jaz, but then... another cries heard and yeah, it’s Alex. His sister was crying, he’s awakened and now....crying along with Jaz. With two babies crying at the same time, Kris opened his eyes and although he’s still feeling sleepy, he volunteered to check on the babies. I was thankful for his act though and decided to sleep some more, since he’ll soon joined me on the bed.  

But I was wrong. Right when I heard our room’s door closed, I noticed the familiar scent that filled our room. I opened my eyes, was about to ask Kris about the babies and here they’re... Kris brought them to our bed. Jaz hugged Kris neck, pouted with tears all over her face while Alex, sleepy but still crying. I looked at Kris and he could only shake his head softly.

“I couldn’t make them sleep again. I took Jaz, she went calm but Alex still cried. I placed Jaz back to her crib, taking Alex to my arms, Jaz went on tears again. I’m sorry, Honey, but I don’t think I can do it on my own” Kris explained as he placed Alex to the bed while he got Jaz on his arms, slowly moving around to calm her.

I could only sigh but then took Alex to my lap. His eyes were so reds, just like his cheeks. He was still sobbing but started to get calm when I wiped the tears from his face.

“What’s wrong with you, Alex? Do you have a nightmare?” I asked him, smiling to him as I brought him to my chest, letting him to place his head on the crook of my neck with both of his arms on my shoulder. I rubbed his back softly and his sobs slowly faded, replaced by a soft breathing. I let him stayed like this for a while as I watched Kris checking on Jaz that’s sleeping as well. She really likes her father to the point that only Kris could make her sleeping that fast. Upon looking at me, Kris walked to our bed and sat at the edge of the bed.

“There’s no way to bring them back to their crib, hmm?”

I shook my head. “Let’s just give them their first birthday’s gift, another night in our bed” I said, carefully placing Alex in the middle of the bed. His hand held tightly on the collar of my shirt, I should remove his fingers from there very softly, afraid that he would be awakened, it’d be hard to make him sleep again. Kris then followed by placing Jaz next to Alex and once both babies settled, we could only looked at each other and let out a small laugh.

“No sleep tonight, hmm?”

I shook my head. “Welcome back to the nights when we have them as our barrier, Wu” I replied him, taking my place next to Alex. I looked at his sleeping face. I rubbed his cheeks softly, to make sure that there’s no more tears there and checked on Jaz as well, she’s a bit sensitive with seat and tears, I didn’t want her to feel uncomfortable.

“Aren’t you going to check me as well?” Kris teased me while he lied on the bed again, looking at me with one of his eyebrows raised. He’s the cutest when he did it like that, I really love those eyebrows and when he pouted cutely... all I could think about was to suddenly crashed my lips to his. It would be perfect... but that should wait for the time being.

I kissed Alex and Jaz’s temples before bended to kiss my husband goodbye. I was meant to give him a soft peck, but knowing Kris, there’s no way it would happen that way. He took my waist and to avoid the babies being awaken, I had to move my body fully so I was landed on top of him, with his arms around my waist and my legs fell in between his body.

Kris was only smirked at me before he placed one hand to cup my face and pulled it closer to him, covering my lips with his. Once I met his soft lips, I started to kiss him back. We’ve been ually active again two months after I delivered the babies, but still, we couldn’t do it like before the pregnancy. There is rarely long time for us to be intimate without being disturbed by the babies, so whenever it’s possible for me to kiss him or for him to cuddle with me, we would take it seriously. There had been such a huge desire that I had for him and I really wished to unleash it, one day. And that’s why a kiss like this should never be wasted. It’s a little wild though; we’re kissing like there’s no tomorrow with the babies sleeping calmly next to us.

When I pulled away from him to take a breath, Kris changed our position so I was under him and as he let me taking more fresh air before we could kiss again, he started to attack my chin and my neck, leaving no spot left unkissed. I giggled as I had my arms on his shoulder and his head, slowly running my fingers on the back of his head, enjoying the pleasure he gave me. But it didn’t last long, as he started to move lower and arrived on the swell of my , I couldn’t say I’m confident that I wouldn’t let out any sound that would make the baby awakened. But Kris shook his head, trying to push his luck.

I tried my best not to let any loud sounds but I almost lost it when he started to on my s. I cupped his face, giving the motion to stop but he didn’t say anything. Instead of stopping and sleeping, Kris moved back to kiss me and fondle my as softly as he could. My moans were trapped in our kids, but no matter how perfectly we tried to execute this longing kiss, it’s impossible to do it without making the babies awakened. Alex awakened, with his eyes widely opened as he looked at me, a soft “Mama” was heard and I knew that it’s over.

Kris stopped kissing me as I placed one hand on his shoulder, signing to him that I wanted to get up to get my baby. I placed a kiss on his cheek, telling him that there’ll be another day without the babies.

“Honey”

“Hmm?”

“No sleep tonight?”

I looked at Alex who started to pout and wanted me to be around him. I sighed and just nodded.

“Yeah, no sleep tonight”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Why don’t we just go along with your mother to the restaurant?” I asked Kris as he’s driving the car to the restaurant where we made appointment with his mother. Kris just shook his head, focused on the road.

I was glancing at him, wanted to say to him that he’s being a little cold and tense tonight; but I didn’t want to ruin the mood that we had today. We spent lunch together earlier, as I walked to the hotel along with the twins and since I had nothing to do, I just wanted us to gather as family. He’s all cheerful and happy today; he kept playing with Alex and Jaz and even got a hard time to leave us to go back for work. But tonight when he asked me to go the hotel and together went to meet his mother, he made me feeling a little weird. He’s not the Kris that I knew; he’s a little different than usual.

When we arrived at the restaurant, I learned to know why. My mother in law was not sitting all alone, next to her was sitting Bruce Lang, her ..... boyfriend.

It’s not a new story. Even since I was heavily pregnant with the twins, we already knew that she’s seeing someone. She asked for Kris’ permission and considering how she’s not doing anything but enjoying life, Kris agreed for his mother to meet with a new guy. Probably he didn’t think that their relationship would stay strong, because my mother in law met Bruce during a trip to London and Kris thought it would be some kind of fling, a short crush. But it’s more than a year already and from the way I see it, Bruce was somehow looked so into my mother in law. She’s apparently had the same feeling with him; and that’s made Kris a bit uncomfortable to sit across them.

Bruce Lang used to be a CEO for his aviation business but now stepped down and changed his status to Chairman, focused more on being a philanthropist. He made a lot of campaigns for student with financial problem to pursue higher education. And it seemed aligned with my mother in law’s social activities, no wonder they’re so into each other. Bruce was previously married but since he’s unable to have a child, until his wife died due to pneumonia, he has no successor. From what I browsed on Google, he’s rarely seen with any women after his wife died 10 years ago. He’s four years older than my mother in law and these two people made a nice couple actually.  

This was not the first time we’re meeting Bruce with my mother in law and it was not the first time as well for all of us to have dinner together, he even played along with the twins occasionally. He really likes kids, too bad he couldn’t have one. And to see my mother in law all about being happy and attached to someone made me glad as well. She’s far from her usual cold and detached attitude. Love indeed changed someone’s character, I felt it too.      

I exchanged kiss with my mother in law as well as to Bruce. Kris only kissed his mother and nodded to Bruce, before took a seat across them. I glanced to Kris again, he’s not there, it’s not his usual self and I wonder what made him acted this way. We started to talk about the family, about their trip together to Canada, and several other things. Kris started to talk though and I felt a bit relieved, I was afraid he’s having bad mood. But that didn’t last long. My mother in law really hit the jackpot when we’re served the dessert and she made me losing appetite even before I could taste the delightful mango pudding.      

“We’re planning to get married” she said with a bright smiled in her face as Bruce held her hand and softly rubbed it.

The first thing I did was looking at the two of them and then to Kris. He remained silent but he’s looking straight to his mother. I didn’t think I could jump in to the situation so all I did was just looking at the two of them in silent.

“Ma...” Kris said with a stern voice. “Ma, the elder-“

“I know” she cut him shortly. “I know, Kris. I’ve talked to them” she said.

“And then?”

“As long as I got your permission, nothing else matters to me” she replied, looking at her own son. Kris looked up and glared to my mother in law. I noticed that Bruce was in the same position as me, had no idea what to do. We couldn’t jump in to their conversation but we couldn’t ignore it as well.

“Ma... Please”

“Kris... it’s me who need to ask you... “

“Kris, if you’re allowing me-“ Bruce was about to open his mouth again but he got cut by Kris.

“Bruce, sorry. I have no mood to talk with you, so I assumed that whatever things you want to say, you can say it through my mother. Other than that, please don’t talk to me” Kris said coldly. I looked at him, giving him a questioning look. Oh my God, how my polite husband went this cold towards someone that’s older than him?

“Kris” I called him, wanting to warn him, but his mother jumped in first.

“Don’t speak like that to Bruce” she said sternly.

Kris sighed, looking at his mother and Bruce.

“So now you’re taking his side”

“Kris, it wasn’t like that”

“It was like that the way I see it”

“Kris Wu!”

“Mother, I’m not gonna say anything else. But until you can figure which side you’re going to choose, don’t bother to speak to me” Kris said as he stood up from the table.

“Kris...” I called him again; he just looked at me slightly.

“Stand up” he said. “We’re going back” he continued before stepping out, leaving the table.

I was so confused, so angry towards his manner, and I really wished I could yell at him in front of his mother and Bruce earlier. I could only apologize towards them and as quickly as possible, following Kris to the lobby of the restaurant, waiting for our car. I held in for quite a long time until we’re finally inside the car and the first thing I did was screaming at him.

“What do you think you’re doing, Kris?!” I snapped at him, frustrated with the way he treated Bruce and his mother earlier.

“I don’t need you to join this problem. You should just be there and support me”

I raised one of my eyebrows. “What support? Stop talking to your mother just because you’re stops talking to her as well?”

Kris didn’t look at me, he continued to drive.

“You can’t be serious, Kris... You can’t”

“I’m dead serious...”

“Kris... Oh my God, what’s with you?” I sighed as I saw him looking more and more annoyed. “Kris...”

“Stop talking, I don’t want to talk about this right now”

And no matter how his words hurt my pride, in the end I would still be all about being patient and not adding the fuel to the fire, so I kept my cool, not saying anything. But the problem was that... Kris still kept it from me, not wanting to say anything, although I tried to make him call, but he insisted not to talk about it.

The kids were already on bed so I could quickly changed my clothes before I took a bath and get ready for some sleeps, at least. The last thing I wanted to do was to have a fight with him. I really wanted him to ignore it if it’s really that hard but I guess it’s not doable for now...

I stepped out from the bathroom, tying the robe of my night dress. I looked at Kris who kept silent as he checked on his phone. From the look at it, it wasn’t anything amusing. He kept looking annoyed and not talking too much ever since we’re back from the restaurant. I knew what it’s all about, but he kept his lips tight.

“Kris” I called him, walking to his direction.

“I don’t want to talk about it, Jinah” he said coldly.

I sighed, he kept saying about not wanting to talk about it. Again and again.

“Kris, we need to talk” I tried again, moving closer to him, but to my surprise he turned around and looked at me with a glare.

“Jinah, I said I don’t want to talk about it. Can’t you understand?”

“You should not avoiding this topic, Kris”

“But it’s not the time now. I don’t want to say anything”

“I know you’re mad, you’re annoyed, but if you kept it on your own, it’ll be hard on you...”

“You don’t know what it feels like” he said shortly.

“Oh my God, Kris!” I yelled at him, making him looking at me. “Don’t you dare snap at me while the problem is you!”

“I don’t want this conversation. You’re the one who started the fire”

“Kris!”

Before he could open his mouth again, the babies were crying out loud and the two of us were looking at each other. This was not how the night supposed to end; with me and Kris yelling towards each other, the babies crying... Seriously.

“Kris...” I called him, softer this time.

“The babies are crying” he said, looking away to the window.

We’re both tired, sleepy, and yet, the babies were crying and we’re suddenly having a fight.

“Kris, please... Don’t be like this”

“The babies are crying” he repeated, still not looking at me. I looked at his back, had no idea what to say. I could hear Alex cried louder than before, it’s a cue for me to move but then Kris turned around, facing me.

“The babies are crying, Jinah. Aren’t you going to come for them?” he asked with a high tone, glaring at me. I sighed, noticing that the way he talked to me hurt me inside; I could feel tears appeared at the corner of my eyes, but I tried my best to hold on it. This time, Jaz cried as loud as Alex; our babies were calling, yet none of us moved.

After seconds of both of us stayed unmoved, Kris stood up and with a sigh, “Fine. If you don’t want to take care of them, I will” and with that, Kris walked passing me and closed the door with a loud thump, shocking me.

When he left our room, I just knew that he’s not the usual Kris; that was one of his side I despised the most whenever we’re having an argue. And just by that, I felt the warmth of my tears covering my cheeks.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Planned to have one final chapter, turned out it ends longer than expected. Following chapter will follow through. Thanks anyway for those support here in AFF and as well as on twitter. I read your tweets about Perfect Timing, never knew I could do that... Hopefully everything can be done by this week... See you around! Happy holiday!

xoxo,

yuriyaa