Homecoming

Perfect Timing

 

"Homecoming"

 

 

“Jinah, are you okay? Do you want me to get inside?” I knocked the toilet door softly, only to hear her growl as she kept throwing out whatever she had on her stomach. I nodded apology to several women who lined up to get in to the restroom. Due to her sudden need to throw out, it’s her morning sickness schedule in Korea time by the way, once we landed in Vancouver, Jinah asked for the restroom. And looking at her pale complexion, I couldn’t do anything but accompanied her inside.

It’s almost twenty minutes since she’s been inside the stall. She insisted not to involve me in this morning sickness thingy, but still, I felt a need to help her so I stayed here. Ignoring the glance of the women who found a guy in the restroom, they seemed to be less tensed when I said that my pregnant wife was inside and I just wanted to accompany her. Thank God the reason was believable; I didn’t have to go out from the restroom until she’s out.

 When I thought she’d be staying longer inside, she opened the door and looked devastated. I sighed as I helped her to wash her face and her hands. Really, I never knew that I was able to take care for a person, let out a pregnant woman, before I met her. Never in my life have I to do something for someone, I always have my servant do it for me. But seeing her state, it’s impossible for me to ignore her. When we’re done, she showed me an apologetic look.

“What’s with that face?” I told her as I gave her a mineral water. We’ve finally done taking our entire luggage and doing the immigration. She sat next to me as she closed her eyes, feeling all tired.

“I didn’t know I’m still throwing up like that” she said. “Sorry for earlier”

I shrugged casually. “Nothing much. We’ll have you doing the check up in the hospital. We don’t have to do the cruise if your condition is still bad…” I said as I checked on my phone. Seemed like the driver coming late to pick us up. Jinah didn’t say anything; she just quietly gulped the water as she calmed herself.

Partially I felt so stupid to just take her here. She’s pregnant and I casually brought her to Vancouver through the 10 hour nonstop flight, to have another trip to Alaska. Seeing her condition the past few weeks before the wedding she looked fine and Sora also said that she’s good for cruise, but now that she looked all like she’s dying, I regretted my choice to accept what my friend gave to me as a wedding gift.

“Kris?”

I looked to my side to find a tall girl with short jeans and loose shirt, sporting Hermes handbag just like one of my cousins has along with wooden wedges. Her hair was long blonde straight and she wore Chanel sunglasses. I couldn’t remember her, but right when she took off her glasses, I just knew who she was.

“Kris? This is me, Alyssa!” she said excitedly in her Canadian accent. Of course, Alyssa. She smiled happily as she walked to me and gave me a warm hug. I hugged her back and looked at her in surprise.

“Where have you been? You’re rarely seen in the city. The last time you’re here, we met at the party in your pool, right?” she said in such an excited voice as she grabbed my arm. “And by the way-“

“Kris”

Both of me and Alyssa looked to the direction of the voice. Jinah looked at me with such a pain and I knew that she’s just trying so hard to hide it, but immediately I knew that her condition was not good. I kneeled in front of her and cupped her face, it’s all cold and seemed like she’s sweating.

“What is wrong? Is there anywhere hurt?”

“My stomach” she said, tears escaped from her eyes and just by that, she closed her eyes as she fell forward to me. Panic attacked me that I quickly forgot anything else. I just knew that I need to get to the hospital. I ignored Alyssa who stood next to me in blanked expression, I really felt bad that I have to leave her like that but there’re  two life here I need to be sure to be saved.

A standby ambulance staff quickly helped me to get to the hospital in the city. I gave them quick information about her latest condition and we quickly traveled to the hospital. I didn’t know why but it felt so scary, the thought of her being unconscious with her current condition. I just hope there’s nothing happened, really, I could not afford losing these two persons for now.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Mr. Wu?”

I looked up to see a doctor stood in front of my seat in the hospital. I left my coffee cup and stood up as he shook his hands with me. He’s apparently a Canadian, smiling warmly towards me.

“Your wife is just having a little shock upon her arrival here, probably due to the flight you’ve taken to get to Vancouver, but other than that, she’s fine. I checked earlier that her pregnancy is fine and strong enough to stay, there’s nothing much to be worried. Once her IV fluid done transferred to her body, she can be discharged from the hospital” he explained clearly about her condition and I felt immediate relief upon listening to it.

“Thanks, Doc” I said, smiling to him.

“Sure. Now you can go to her ward, she’s currently having her brunch on the bed. Have a good day” he nodded and left me.

I did some registration and payment for her stay here and quickly stepped to her room. When I arrived there, she’s enjoying some soft bread along with a glass of milk and she’s totally far from pale. It seemed that she’s never faint as I saw her earlier. She noticed my presence and smiled as she gulped the milk.

“You’re good?” I asked her as I walked closer, placing my palm on her forehead. Her body temperature was normal and no sweat found there. She changed her dress into the hospital dress and she looked very domestic on it for sure. Her hair looked perfect despite how messy her face earlier.

“I’m fine” she replied. “I’m sorry I didn’t know I was that tired”

“You should stop saying sorry for this you couldn’t control” I said. “Does the food taste good? Do you want to eat something?”

“Can we have Chinese food here?” she asked. It must have been her craving for the day.

“We can eat some in Chinatown, I knew a good place to eat Chinese food there” I answered, sheepishly smiled. Now that I think about it, we actually are a good partner. We communicate well; we could share what we have in mind and to be honest having her as my wife actually gave a side privilege for me.

It’s just day two after the marriage and I’ve stopped receiving assaulted messages. Yes, lots of woman knew my number, which I have no idea where did they get it but often they texted me with a very insulting yet y words, about the things they wanted to do to me or what they wished I would do to them. I’ve changed my number several times, but those things only really stopped when my wedding announced publicly. A proof in form of me kissing her forehead in our wedding spread quickly on the internet and news, and that’s enough to end my misery.

A knock heard on the door as I sat at the edge of her bed. Someone opened the door and I saw a familiar face looking at me. She fully entered the room in her white coat, indicating that she’s indeed the doctor here. Lana smiled as she placed her hands inside the pocket of her coat.

“Kris. Hi!” she greeted me in a wide smile. “How are you?” she asked me politely.

Lana Ho, my former girlfriend in university, looked at me with a surprise face. I replied a short fine about me and the Chinese-Canadian woman beamed in happy expression. “I saw your name earlier as I checked on my ward list, I thought that I saw your mother’s name…” her eyes diverted from me to Jinah who’s still lying on the bed with her back leaned to the pillow on the wall.

“Oh… Apparently Mrs. Wu that I saw on the list was…” she looked at me again. I nodded and looked to Jinah. “Jinah, this is Lana and Lana” I looked back at her, “this is my wife”

“Oh!” she gasped in surprise but still maintain a wide range of smile. She came to Jinah and shook her hand with her. “Pardon my impolite way of greeting you. I’m Lana Ho” she said.

“Im Jinah” she said, sporting another smile to Lana.

“What’s happening? Do you feel sick somewhere?” Lana asked as she tried to figure what’s wrong with Jinah.

“Just a little tired due to the travel here” Jinah replied, showing a weak smile.  

“Oh, you two just arrived here?”

I nodded. “We’ve landed earlier this morning and she had her morning sickness” it’s too late when I realized that I kind of mentioning Jinah condition.

Another ‘oh’ heard from Lana. “You’re pregnant? How many weeks?” she softly gaze upon Jinah’s stomach since there’s barely a bump there. I wonder also where’s the baby she carrying?

“It’s my eleventh week” she answered. Jinah looked at me and I gave a confused look to her. Was there something wrong here?

“That’s cute. I’m sure it’s both of your first children?” Lana asked, more to me. I nodded mindlessly even though I’m not sure if there would be any baby followed. “So you two are coming for holiday? Visiting your old home?” she looked at me.

“Well, yes, actually we’ve just got married two days ago and I’m here for a short vacation and a little of work stuff” I replied. Lana gave me and Jinah the look, well, more like A shot gun marriage? Really? Kris Wu?’ but then she just smiled.

“Oh, congratulations! Never heard that you’re dating someone though, Kris” Lana said, winked and let out a laugh. Time flew so fast, it’s like almost five years since the last time I saw her during my last visit to Vancouver. Since I got to manage the W Hotel in Seoul, I never stepped back here and practically forgot the life I used to have here.

“Well, it’s very nice of seeing you two. As you may know, Jinah, Kris rarely back here so when I saw him, it’s just like seeing an old friend” she stated. “I think I should go back to my schedule. Have fun in Vancouver” she said softly as she patted Jinah’s hand. Jinah said thanks and smiled to her. As a form of politeness, I offered to send her out from the ward.

“Really, you’re married already? The Kris Wu?” she commented as she happily smiled, more like teasingly smiled at me. “Is she the one your mother chose for you?” she asked with a serious tone. I shook my head. “Yeah, right. It’s a shotgun marriage, huh?”

“Please don’t address her like that, Lana. It’s partially my fault also” I answered.

Among all of my ex-girlfriend, I found that Lana was the most mature and understanding, so I could talk about anything with her. We’re pretty much a good couple, but turned out she just wanted a career as a professional neurologist, and if by leaving me she got a good chance to catch on her career, then it would do. So we broke up, because she didn’t think of me as much as I thought about her. And really, I’ve once thought that I want to marry her because she’s kind of a perfect fit for me. But again, that’s in the past. I don’t have such a feeling anymore towards her.

“I hope you’re happy, Kris” she sincerely said, patting my shoulder. “She’s really beautiful. You nailed it!” Lana said as she secretly glanced towards Jinah’s room. I let out a chuckle. If only she knew what’s really happened between me and Jinah…

“How about you? Are you settled already?” I asked her, curious on what path would she chose for herself.

“I’m living with my partner, a doctor here also. We’re very much having similarities and maybe, maybe if things continued well, we might be engaged next year” she said, smiling to herself.

“Like, finally?”

“We’ve been dating for four years before deciding to live together. Step by step, Kris” she shrugged calmly. “Ah, anyway. I really have to go, I have a schedule surgery. See you around?” she gave me her hand. I nodded as I shook her hands before we exchanged kiss on the cheeks and then she left in the busy hospital activities. It’s nice to see someone from my past, just thinking that I used to have probability with her.

When I walked back inside to check on Jinah, she’s mindlessly checking on the television channel. Apparently staying in hospital bored her. I checked on her IV fluid, it should be done transferred to her body in minutes. I took a seat in the sofa and just checking on my phone.

“Did you meet your old high school friend?” she suddenly asked, making me looked at her. I shook my head. “A neighbor?”

I shook my head again. She looked stunned yet curious. Somehow, I thought that it’d be fun to play with her a bit. “Hmm, your university friend?”

“She’s a medical student, while I’m a business student. Why would we study in the same university?”

That answer made her thinking again. Really, she could ask for that one thing but she refused; she pretended that it’s fine for me to see another girl like that in front of her. “Why? Are you curious with Lana?” I looked at her, teasingly smiled to her.

“You look close, so I thought probably she is one of your friends” she casually answered.

“Yes, sure. She’s my friend, ex-girlfriend” I replied.

“Oh” she responded and decided to change the TV channels again. “The one in the airport also?”

I chuckled, she remembered about Alyssa too. “Well, that one is not my ex. We happened to hang out several times, dates. But she’s not really my type”

“So your type is like Lana?” she asked again. I didn’t know why but it appeared so funny that she casually asked this kind of things. She noticed my expression when she asked that question and quickly apologized. “Sorry, personal things. No need to answer that”

“Noted on that” I replied.

“But can I at least know how many is your ex? Seemed like I’ve spent less than 24 hours in Vancouver and I’ve just met two of your girls. I don’t want any of them looked at me in horror when you introduced me as your wife”

“No worries, you probably won’t see any of them, most of them not stay in here. Besides, it’s good to have you as my wife. No one dares to touch me anymore” I winked and decided for another shot of coffee. She just rolled her eyes yet she let out a chuckle to me. Apparently when I told her last night the fact that she owned me being published in the news made me more popular as someone’s husband, she noticed that she helped me so I should be grateful towards her, in some joking ways.

But somehow, I do felt grateful with her presence here. Vancouver built my childhood, my teenage time, and of course, my adolescence period. I passed it all alone, and the thought of coming back here with someone just made it kind of calming. I didn’t know exactly why, but to go back here with Jinah surely giving me a thought that this time, I’m not going to stay here forever. Yeah, I should be really thankful to her for that.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Kris!”

I turned my head back when I heard a voice from the back in the hotel lobby. It’s a guy with suit, clean cut, and working bag. Well, thank God it's a guy. I couldn't afford if another Lana appeared and greeted him like that again. Not that I mind his ex-girlfriend meeting him, it's just the way the looked at me once they knew I'm his wife was kind of....intimidating. Kris turned around also as we did the check in process and he smiled as soon as he saw the guy.

“Oh, Ge!” he said as they exchanged hug. Even though the guy was less tall than him, they still could do the hug comfortably. I watched from the side, waiting for them maybe to talk in a while. But no, the guy directly looked at me.

“Is this my new in-law?” he asked to Kris as looking at me, smiling. “Dude, this is your wife? Man, she’s so beautiful!” he commented as he widened his smile. Ok, I like this guy already.

“Jinah, this is my senior in university, Henry” he introduced me to the kind guys. We shook hands and then he watched me in the amusement. “I heard that you’re having a little problem when you arrived here. Would it be okay for you to still do the cruise?”

“The doctor earlier told me it’s fine. Actually it’s just some slight of tiredness. I felt fine already” I replied. Really, I felt weak only when I should have my morning sick, but once I threw out everything, my body would magically felt fine again.

“Oh it’s good then, I don’t want my gift for the two of you be wasted. Shall we have dinner tonight after your check in process?”

We agreed to do the check in and napping for a while.  I really need to get some sleep before I could go out again. So it’s decided that both of Kris and me would take a rest and meet again with Henry during dinner. He’s having a meeting with his company people, he’s having restaurant business though and it’s kind of reminds me of Kyungsoo.

Just like last night in the hotel, Kris booked two rooms next to each other. When we’re in Seoul, to not make it obvious Chen booked the room under his name but actually Kris used it while I used the room under Kris name. He did the same again, booking two rooms with different name. He helped me to unpack several things before he went inside his room.

“If later on you’re too tired for dinner, let me know. I’ll arrange the food service in your room. You still have to do coat shop for the cruise, right?” he said as he looked at me. “Tomorrow we’ll go for some shop. I’ll have a quick meeting first while you wait in the restaurant. It won’t be long before we shop and go straight for the cruise in the afternoon and-“

Kris stopped talking as I laughed at him. He gave me a stern look as he didn’t get why suddenly I laughed over him. “Anything wrong?” he asked.

“Relax, Kris. It wasn’t like we’re in a very uptight schedule that you’re being over worried like that…” I said, sitting on the couch. He looked a bit awkward after that. “We’re here for holiday, right? Then be it. Take your time, if you have to do your meeting just because you can’t schedule another time than do it. Let’s do the cruise if you’re fine with it” I calmly explained to him.

His eyes beamed over the words, it’s like he’s kind of surprise that he’s allowed to slow the pace. I frowned, wondering if he’s ever been calmed about something. I knew from the several meetings with him that he always looked composed; I just didn’t realize that he’d be panic over something like this, a schedule that can be re-schedule according to our will.

“Ok” he muttered. And I really have to suppress the will to laugh because Kris Wu, the heir of Wu Global Company, indeed looked like a little boy that looked deeply regretted after being scolded by her mom. “I’ll be in my room, call me if you need anything and” he stopped me to talk back, “don’t you dare to walk on your own if you need to throw up. Doctor earlier said that you totally can’t be losing your balance if you want the baby to be okay”

It’s my turn to look like whenever my father scolded me for coming home late after my modelling training time. I nodded and after that he left my room. I looked around the hotel room and praised Kris for booking such a nice room for me. The bed was great and soft, the bathroom also gave me a comfortable feeling and I spent more than thirty minutes on the bathtub. Everything was good until I realized that the sky indeed still light even though it’s almost dinner time.

I’m done doing my bath and changed into something more like simple black dress for the dinner along with a jacket since the weather during June usually cold and breezy. I dried my hair and tried my best to just styling it, but even to make it dry took me quite an effort. I started to softly arrange my hair and dried it, but then the warm air coming from the hairdryer somehow managed to touch my face and felt all sleepy. I started to put my body to my side on the bed and slowly dried my hair again. I felt my eyes getting heavier and heavier, the sound of hairdryer slowly faded…

I ended up sleeping until 9 in the morning on the next day.       

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Sorry I skipped dinner with you last night” I said apologetically when I met Henry in his restaurant. I fell asleep and Kris thought that I’m too tired so he didn’t wake me up when he checked on my room, only to find me sleeping carelessly in the middle of my bed with my hairdryer on.  On the way to his meeting place, Kris dropped me at Henry’s place while he went to the building three blocks away from here.

“No worry. You’re tired after your travel, plus you have to take care of your pregnancy. We ended up having some man time” he replied with such an adorable smile. Really, Henry looked all fresh and beamed while I looked…deserted. I still couldn’t pull my best makeup, so I thought for this lunch I should just have my eye makeup as focus.

“Ok, so anything you want for this lunch?” Henry said as he showed me the menu. His restaurant offered so many mouthwatering foods and I couldn’t choose one. I told him about my tendency to eat so many meals in a day and he ended up ordering the all-time favorite menu there. No seafood, somehow I was being kind of hates the smell of it recently.

We started with Caesar salad with marinated grilled chicken and also truffle mushroom soup. He also offered me the infamous spicy BBQ spare ribs that were toasted with sesame seeds. I enjoyed every bite of it; Henry indeed knew how to make the customer satisfied with his restaurant. He shared his experience of cooking and owning restaurants chains that’s existed not only in Vancouver but also New York and LA.

“I don’t think I could even cook an egg properly” I embarrassedly admitted in front of him and he smiled in understanding.

“You’re lucky. Kris can cook, well, not as well as me” he jokingly winked. “But at least he can cook something proper and he’s not a typical Asian guy who needs his wife to prepare everything for him”

“You’re close with him since university?” I asked him when a plate of Pizza Marguerite delivered to our table. Taking a slice, I put it on my mouth and it tasted perfect.

Henry shook his head. “Even before that. We met during the junior high school period, but we’re not in the same school. Since both of us are Chinese that grew up in foreign country, we’re tending to be close. Only when he entered the same university with me I got a chance to be really close with him. But in daily basis, we usually meet and hang out together”

“So, do you know Lana?” I asked him mindlessly. Henry gave me a kind of surprise look.

“Well, sure. She’s my cousin’s cousin. Do you…” he tried to continue his question but I just answered it for him.

“I met her earlier in the hospital”

“Oh” he just made that comment and looked at me, waiting.

“No, no. I’m not asking about his past, it’s just that I met her and since you mentioned about you being closed with hi, I just randomly asked it” I quickly explained before Henry thought (and told Kris) that I’m digging about Kris’ past. I didn’t need that.

“She’s happened to be his longtime girlfriend, despite his hobby of dating and changing girlfriend. But you don’t have to think about any other girl. He’s a loyal man, I knew it. And if he married you, really, you don’t have to worry about anything. He’s yours only” Henry smiled.

I just smiled back to him. It’s only the two of us along with his mom, Sora, Jongin, and Chen who knew the reality behind our marriage. And I’m not planning to reveal it again to any other person.

We continued to talk and eat during our time together. Henry was really kind and an easy guy to talk with. He’s filled with so many stories and experiences to share. Plus point, he loves fashion and we easily matched together when I explained him about my runway and my backstage experience.

“I really want to come to one of your show, Jinah” he said when I told him I once doing a runway on the airplane and he thought that it’s cool and great. “When I have a runway later on, I’ll make sure to invite you. Please visit us in Seoul” I said beamingly.

“Sure. I’ll come. Anyway, when’s the baby due?”

“Around February” I replied as I rubbed my stomach. I could feel the baby feeling happy with the presence of Uncle Henry and the food prepared by him.  

“I’ll come during that period and for sure, giving my niece a nice gift. Do you have any idea about their gender?”

I shook my head. “It’s still not can be seen yet”

“I wonder… if it’s a boy he might take Kris feature, like tall, good looking, and has gorgeous deep eyes. Don’t you think he has good eyes?”

“Well, kind of” I replied. I never really put a close examination of his feature, but his eyes indeed looking good.

“And if it’s a girl, she’ll be as beautiful as you. It must have been cute to see the mix of Korean and Chinese baby girl” he smiled proudly, as if the baby was his grandchild. I could only smile back to his respond.

The main course appeared, a Braised Beef Short Ribs with potato puree and spicy beans served beautifully on the plate. Henry got his New York Striploin with red wine jus. We did really chatter happily as we enjoyed our lunch. And since Kris still hasn’t finished his meeting, Henry decided to take me to Robson Street, the infamous shopping district in Vancouver.

The two of us strolled around the street that’s filled with so many stores, from branded product to funky independent boutiques. I made a mental note that I have to go back here again after we’re done with the cruise. We shopped essential clothing like coats, warm jackets, boots, and some sunscreen and special lotion to protect my skin from the cold weather and breezy wind during the cruise. Henry said that higher chance of me to be outside during the scenic cruising, for it’s fun to see the icebergs or whales right in front of my eyes. And to be honest, I couldn’t wait for the mini adventures.

When it’s almost the time for me and Kris to depart for the cruise, Henry took both of us to the port. He helped me and Kris to bring our luggage and bid a goodbye. I hugged him closely and he patted my shoulder as we separated from each other.

“Enjoy your trip, okay?” he said. I nodded and smiled to him. Kris also bid a goodbye to Henry and what Henry said really made me and Kris blushed really bad.

“Remember that your wife is pregnant, don’t take her too hard, okay?” he said seriously while patting Kris’ arms and added an innocent smile to both of us. We didn’t even do anything more than holding hand ever since we met each other. Well, he did kiss me on our wedding day but that’s on my forehead and… Oh God, I didn’t know why I even have to think about it.

We finally took the stairs to go up and greeted by the staff that’s really helpful. Henry apparently gave us the most expensive package, the Suite. There’s not much option of the Suite area, only several people can get the package actually and Henry managed to get it. It’s the signature feature of the cruise actually.

Once we got in to the room, I felt quite surprise to see such a large room inside a cruise. The 470-square-foor Suite area greeted me when I put my handbag on the nearest couch. The couch paired with a table and extra seat, facing a temporary wall with flat TV across it. On the back of the TV was actually a comfortable changing room with personal safe. The bathroom has bathtub and complimented with hairdryer, just like what I need.

We connected with the balcony through glass door with the curtain to cover it during night. I stepped outside to see the condition. It’s indeed kind of breezy, I covered my body more with the jacket that I have on me. On the balcony, there were two comfortable loungers for me and Kris used if we want to enjoy the view outside as we lying around and a table with two chairs. In short, perfect balcony to have a nice view during the cruising.

But when I stepped back in to the room, I was faced with the fact that there’s only a queen size bed room. Kris was still checking on the luggage and placed it accordingly, not realizing the situation yet. Well actually, the fact that we previously slept together should be enough reason for me not to be scared to sleep on the same bed again with him but still… I was not conscious that time, well, not on my sane state to realize that I was actually having with a guy that I barely knew.

I decided not to talk about it yet since it’s already dinner time when we done arranged our luggage. Kris took me to the restaurant where the dinner activities held and we met so many people during the cruise. We’ve been seated along with an old couple from New York who decided to have their vacation as their second honeymoon. The lady was nice to me, she gave me so many tips about pregnancy and delivering the baby. She has five kids who’re now living abroad, away from them.

“We praised and be grateful with each of their presence, still, when they’re on their own, they tend to live out of our house” she said when she remembered how adventurous all of their kids.  

“You two looked mature enough to be a parent, I hope the delivery would be fine and both the mother and baby will be okay” the man said as he smiled and offered a cheer for both of us. I’m having my orange juice instead of wine though.

I was actually planning to check on all the facilities the cruise has, but Kris suggested doing it on the next day since it’s almost late for now. I looked at the sky on the balcony and realized that it’s still light, since Vancouver has 16 hours daylight around June. I took a bath first since Kris said he wanted to check on the doc for his iPhone and iPad. When I’m done with my bath, I changed with my sleeping trouser and a tank top to be paired with my outer pajamas.

The weather was pretty warm inside the room, so I basically just wore my tank top to sleep. I texted my parents before I went to sleep, just to tell them that both of us were on our way to the first port, Ketchikan, Alaska. I’m about to sleep when I realized Kris was still sitting in front of the TV when he’s done taking a bath. His face looked sleepy yet he remained static with the remote control on his hand and eyes fixed on the TV.

“Kris?” I called him.

“Yes?” he responded, stopped being sleepy and turned his head to me. I didn’t fail to notice his sleepy face.

“What are you doing?” I asked him.

“Watching TV” he answered with a hint of ‘obviously I watched the TV’ tone.

“Aren’t you going to sleep?”

“Why? Does the TV volume disturbing you?” he asked as he immediately lower down the volume. I shook my head as I changed my position from sleeping to sitting.

“Aren’t you going to sleep?” I asked him again. He looked at me in confused.

“I’m trying to sleep. I’ll fall asleep when I’m tired” he answered.

“Where are you sleeping?”

“This couch” he mindlessly replied, checking on the TV again.

“Sleep here” I said as normal as possible. Kris turned his head to me and looked at me with a surprise glance.

I just didn’t want to torture him. I knew exactly how it feels to sleep on the couch, it gave my back pain. And I clearly experienced it a lot during my trainee time when I have to perform in several runways and having to sleep anywhere because the rehearsal lasted late. And he did nothing wrong to have to spend a night there, no matter how comfortable the couch was.

“Here” I said as I opened the blanket next to me and patted it. “Please, Kris. I don’t want you to ruin your back by sleeping there”.

His body surely wouldn’t fit the length of the couch. He hesitated a bit but since I kept looking at him, he ended up turned off the TV and walked closer to me. He sat at the edge of the bed, I decided to move aside to make him more comfortable but he caught it and shook his head.

“Don’t sleep on the side, I’m afraid you’ll fall to the ground…” he said as he arranged his pillow. But in the end both of us lying down on the bed; looking at the ceiling awkwardly next to each other. It’s indeed our first night sleeping next to each other as a husband and wife. He finally decided to loosen up around me though, as I did the same to him.

“Sleep, Jinah” he said.

“You too” I commented, half closing my eyes. “Good night, Kris”

And after that, I just fell asleep. Not even knowing whether he replied me or not.

 

When I suddenly awakened, I realize that only the bed side lamp that’s light the room. I’m awakened to the voice of a low grown coming from my side. I adjusted my sight to the low light and realized that it’s Kris who did the sleep talking.

“No, Ma. No… “He said in a low tone. I turned to my side, facing him. Kris tossed and turned his body, feeling restless. I stood up and patted his shoulder, awakened him.

“Kris? Kris, are you having a nightmare?” I asked him in my hoarse voice, shaking his shoulder but no answer. He remained sturdy, and I have to awake him again but then again he kept calling his mom with his eyes closed. I didn’t know what to do, in the end I touched his large palm and softly patted it. I began to wonder if his every day sleeping always likes this. I glanced at him when his hand slowly wrapped my palm, he still called for his mom and I sighed at the sight, he’s really looking scared as if something bad would happen if he let go off my hand.

“Kris, it's fine. It's just dream.." I bend my body closer to him and whispered on his ear. Surprisingly, he stopped looking frantic and getting calm. I softly rubbed my hand on his palm and when he really stopped talking on his sleep, I slowly closed my eyes. I really need my sleep.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I woke up to the view of iceberg and several of geysers seen from the glass door from my room. I smiled to myself; it’s been a while since I saw this kind of view. But then I realized that actually I was not only looked at the beautiful cold view. As I opened my eyes widely, I found that I was sleeping hand in hand, nose to nose with Jinah. She’s still sleeping when I realized how close we are.

I looked at our intertwined hand. How did I end up holding on her hand like this? And why were we so close like this? Did I move to her or did she come closer to me? And her hand, why did I intensely holding on it?

I softly released my hand from her and somehow her touch lingered on my palm. I looked at her, still confused on what’s happening. She asked me to sleep together on this huge bed, but I didn’t remember how we ended up together in the middle of the bed. As I about to move away from her, she slowly opened her eyes. She adjusted her sight, slowly rubbed her eyes but then she just looked at me blankly. She blinked her eyes several times and her eyes widened when she realized how close we were.

None of us talking, we’re just continued to exchange stare to each other. I just realized from here, just fifteen centimeters away from her face, that she indeed has freckles around her cheek which always perfectly covered when she’s having her makeup. The tip of her nose was small, I felt like touching it with my finger for unknown reason. And when she her lips, a pretty pink color appeared perfectly there.

I’ve just realized what I’ve been thinking and quickly shook my head. She looked confused and clueless, just like me, but I didn’t know why both of us remained still. I cleared up my throat, trying to say something and she did the same. But before either of us could say something, she quickly covered and made a way to the bathroom.

Of course, the morning sickness has to come in this glorious morning.

How many days do I have to awaken in this state again? I sensed countless. In a time like this, staying on bed under blanket sounds so promising. But in the end, I left my bed and walked to the bathroom, helping this lady in front of me holding on her hair as she kept throwing up in the toilet.

That’d be lessened our awkward moment after the weird waking up time, wouldn’t it?

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I have to spare it into two parts. Somehow, a part of Kris’ past would appear here and there. I haven’t had a chance to check on it, but hopefully you’re going to like this update. 

Personally wishing, I really could wish that I could go on a cruise to Alaska. It sounds pretty. Amin.