A Couple

Perfect Timing
 

"A Couple"

 

 

“Morning, Kris” I said as I gulped my milk and chewed on the toast made by the maid. I love her; she’s so good in creating a breakfast for me and my baby, I always looking forward for the next day to see what will she made for me. Kris looked surprised to see me on the table so early in the morning. Every time he’s getting ready for work, I’d be still on my bed, sleeping. But it’s Saturday, so I didn’t expect him to appear this early in the morning with his….suit.

“You’re early” he said flatly, as usual, Kris and his cold style. I didn’t get how he could change from cold to warm to cold again and be warm again. It’s still magical for me when I realized I could communicate quite well with him.

He sat across my seat, spreading the toast with the butter and eating it plainly along with the hot coffee on his cup. He said nothing as he ate his breakfast. Once he’s done with the bread, he moved to the newspaper that’s displayed next to him. He checked on the pages while sipping his coffee. And so this is what breakfast with Kris felt like, like you’re having a breakfast on your own.  

It’s not the first time I had a breakfast with him in this house. We did have breakfast together when we started moving here, but most of the time, I joined when he need to go to the office. And now that I’m staying on the same table with him, having a breakfast along with him also, he seemed not noticing my presence. Kris didn’t glance at me or say anything to me; I’m invisible on his sight.  

“Are you…having a meeting today?” I asked him out of the blue. I hate a silence during breakfast. Ever since I was a kid, I always have a hearty breakfast with my parents along with the chatter and update on whom doing what, who going where. It was never silent like this and of course, I’m not planning to have one when I got married, even though it’s just a temporary marriage. 

“Yes” he replied, still looking on the newspaper. Gee, he’s so darn busy. It’s Saturday and he’s having a meeting? 

“Are you going to go home late?” I asked him again. I didn’t even know why I asked those things to him. It wasn’t like I played wife or something, I just need to have him converse with me…

Kris raised his eyebrows and finally, looked at me.

“Why? Do you want me to buy you something?”

I shook my head. “No, I’m just….asking”

“Why?” he asked as he looked at me. He put aside his newspaper, placing both of his hand on the table and put all of his attention to me.

“It’s Saturday” I reasoned.

“So?”

“So I thought you’re not going anywhere…” the end of my words left as a whisper.

“Why you’re suddenly getting interested on my schedule?” Kris asked me in curious tone.

“Nothing. I just want to ask” I replied, avoid looking to his eyes directly and started to stare at the tea cup in front of me. His stare was always intimidating me and I hate it a lot when I have to surrender to his stare, he made me felt like I’m a bad student in front of her strict teacher. 

“Are you planning to surprise me by coming to my office secretly?” he asked me again, suddenly getting into playing around me.  

“Why would I?” I rolled my eyes as I replied to him.

“Well, maybe you’re bored. Or maybe…. You just have nothing to do so you want to play around the hotel” he shrugged his shoulder calmly, folding the newspaper and sipped the coffee again.

“I have a schedule” I said mindlessly as I took my phone and checked on the message. “Oh, my car has just arrived” I added as I hummed on my way to take my handbag. I stood up and straightened my dress, ready to go.

“You’re going now?” he asked me.

“As you can see” I appointed myself from top to toe. “I have a schedule and I’m planning to go”

He let out a chuckle. “Fine. Have a nice day” he saluted me and looked away immediately to his phone, seemed like he’s about to make a call.  

I didn’t even know why I should be feeling disappointed to see him ignoring me like that. But I really felt like we’re just a housemate, the one I have on my university time. You know, we’re living together but not really know each other but then again…. urgh, whatever. I have a packed schedule today. Let’s go baby!

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Good morning, Kris”

This is my second morning greet and I saw my mother walked inside my office. I stood up and bowed a little, letting her kissed my cheeks.

“How’s your trip to Milan, Ma?” I asked her as we sat on the couch in my office.

“Good. We finally agreed on the partnership with the hotel there. We’re going to open our W branch in Milan soon. How’s the city as I left?”

“Everything’s fine”

“How’s your wife and the baby?” my mother asked, looking at me directly.

“They’re good. She’s having her own schedule and sometimes visiting her parents…” I answered lightly. There’s nothing much to tell about Jinah, I guess.

“Tell her that I’m going to meet her tomorrow” my mother said.

“Why?” I frowned. I never really like the idea of my mother taking Jinah here and there, the last time she took her out, I heard from Chen that she made Jinah learned the reality about my family tradition, and I didn’t want Jinah to feel burdened. For God sake, she’s just a temporary wife of mine, why should she deal with that stuff?  

“Introduction. Now that she’s a Wu, she should have started her duty” my mom explained.

“What are you going to give her?”

My mother looked like she’s thinking. “The orphanage, I guess”

“Isn’t that location your favorite?”

My mother loves volunteer work and she really likes it a lot when she could contribute for a blood donation event or a visit to the hospital for kids with special illness. And for years, even when my father was still alive, she already started her social work and maintained it up until now. We have so many organizations contributed under my father’s name.

“It’s the easiest to start and I think your wife suited that place” my mother said. “Anyway, have you got the information about the baby gender?”

I felt a little nervous as my mother talked about the baby. Oh no, it wouldn’t be a good sign. I shook my head, signaling that I have no idea about the gender.

“Not yet”

My mother looked blankly at me.

“Oh, she’s still on her 14th, right? Five or six more weeks and you can see the gender…” my mom did a quick calculation. “Is she fine?”

“She is. She has a good appetite, so you don’t have to worry about her health. Her mother always comes weekly to our house, sending her several foods and beverages to help her stay fit during the pregnancy”

My mother raised an eyebrow. “You seemed closed with the Ims”

“They’re a part of my family now, aren’t they?” I replied, walking to my desk as I checked on my iPad. I have some data to read regarding the weekly report as I prepared my meeting next week, so I should left my mother here in the office, let her do whatever before she went to her own room.

“Don’t you miss me? I’ve been away for a week, you only called me twice. One for asking whether I wanted to join a gathering for hotel owner in Seoul and second was to ask where the best dim sum restaurant in this city. Have I been really replaced by your wife?”

I looked at her in disbelief. This is why I said I have a weird relationship with my mother. At a time, I could be all careless about whatever I want to do, but on the other side, no matter how bad our relationship is, I still managed to at least consider her feeling. She’s my mother anyway, the only person that has a blood tie with me currently.

“Are you being jealous over Jinah?” I asked her, crossing my arms on my chest.

“She’s like a mini me. Hard to tame” my mom waved her hands. But for sure, I knew she likes her. The way she kept asking about Jinah, I knew she just found an equal opponent. All of my ex-girlfriends that she ever met, no one has such a talk back ability like Im Jinah and that, for sure, must have been making my mother feeling a little pressured.   

“Why? You found her amusing you want to keep her as your pupil?”

My mother scoffed as she heard me. “Not to that extent”

“I should be going to my office; I have a social event in four weeks. Tell Jinah to see me when she has no schedule, this will be the first event she’s handling” my mother said as she tapped on my shoulder.

“Don’t be too harsh to her” I reminded my mother.

My mom, again, raised her eyebrows. “You started to take on her side more and more, Young Man. As a mother, I felt kind of jealous” she appointed her finger to me.

“So you’re indeed jealous” I nodded in understanding, teasing her might as well as fun as teasing Jinah.  

“I said ‘kind of’, I’m not jealous over her. Please” my mom defended herself. I just let out a chuckle; it’s funny to see her becoming kind of awkward with the talk about Jinah.

“And Kris” my mother stopped her step at the door, looking at me on my desk.

“Yes, Ma?”

It’s Saturday. What are you doing here in the office? If people were seeing you here instead of being near with your pregnant wife, rumor will spread. Go home, now” my mother ended her speech and left my room, leaving me all alone.

Now, that’s a command.

Well yes, I have nothing to do today actually, but staying at home was kind of dull that’s why I tried to do something outside home. I was about to continue to read the news again right when my phone rang. I checked on my phone and a familiar name appeared on the caller ID. I didn’t waste the time to pick up the call.

“Hello, Mom?”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Oh it’s so good to know that you’re being free here, Kris” my mother in law said as she handed me a glass of ice tea. It’s so cold and refreshing, fit the moment I inhaled and exhaled roughly as I leaned my back to the wall.

I sat on the floor as I tried to control my breathing. My sweaty body heaved with my harsh breath; I smiled back to Jinah’s mother as she gave me a napkin to wipe the sweat away. I’ve been helping my mother in law to move a cupboard and several other things like chairs or tables, as she’s having her home decoration thingy. I remembered that Jinah told me, her mother loved design and interior that she’s having a quarter routine of changing the interior of her house; and today happened to be one of the days.

“I really wasn’t interfered your schedule today, right?” she asked me again. I quickly shook my head.

“No, it’s fine, it’s Saturday anyway…” I replied.

“Usually Jinah’s father helped me doing this, but he’s having a fishing appointment along with his old friend, he couldn’t miss it. So here I am, cleaning up all alone. But not until you appear! I guess it’s the benefit of having a son in law?” she smiled as she playfully winked at me. “But no, of course I’m not daring to use you as my personal assistant…”

“Don’t bother, Mom. I’m here to help anyway” I said as I let out a small laugh.

Jinah’s mother is one of the persons I could easily get along with. I’m not really open up to people I’ve just met, but her mother was an exception. She always made feeling like I’ve been wanted, like she’s so proud to have me around her. Ever since she asked me to take care of Jinah, I’ve been in a constant communication with her. Sometimes, we have a lunch together, another time; I’d be sending her a flower out of the blue so I could receive a call from her telling me how grateful she was to receive such flower from me.

I like Im Jinah’s mother a lot.

One more thing, she really likes me too to the point she always choose me over her daughter. It’s just fun to tease Jinah when her mother showing more care to me compared to her. But I know, her mom loved her so much, she couldn’t stop asking me to remind Jinah to eat on time or just to drink the healthy soup she made for her only daughter. I envied Jinah sometimes; I wish my mother would have such a big care like my in law.

Personally talking about my mother, she used to be a good wife and mother also; but as time goes by, she’s getting involved more and more with the work of the business that our family has after the deceased of my father and at the age of 10 years old, I lost both of my parents. I’ve been a loner since then and people around would only consist of the maids, the driver, and my uncle. I’ve never felt like home, but here in Jinah’s house, I felt like someone’s welcoming me.

“You should be having lunch here” her mother said as she took the empty glass away from me.

“Is there anything else I can do for you?” I asked her, following her to the kitchen.

“I’m done moving everything. And you helped me a lot too, Kris. So less work to do now…” she smiled, tapping on my upper arm. “Anyway, are you going to Jinah’s place?”

“Hmm? What place, Mom?” I asked her in confused. I have no idea actually where she was.

“Oh. Didn’t she tell you that she’s having a photo-shoot today?” my mother in law looked at me with knitted eyebrows.

“Oh, that photo-shoot. Well, she did tell me she has a schedule” I answered casually, I should not let her mother thought that we were not communicating with each other. “I’m about to go to her place though” I added. Ok, I could say whatever, my mother in law gonna believe it.

She clasped her hands as she smiled happily. “It’s good then, I could give you her medicine and some supplement she needs for her pregnancy. I forgot to give her the soup, it should be taken today. Can you give it to her?”

“At home?”

“It would be better if she could drink it on her photo-shoot place. Anyway, can’t you tell her to stop her schedule? She’s pregnant, gosh!” her mother said, shaking her head.

Uh, this is what I got for blabbering about Im Jinah whereabouts. Now I have to look for her photo-shoot location. Her mother must have been known her routine, that’s why she prepared a lot of food and energy drink for her. I knew that my baby is on the right hand, the grandmother looked over it carefully.

“Sure, I’m going to give it to her”

My mother in law placed two bags along with a pack of thermal water that’s filled with the porridge, for my pregnant wife, of course.

“And for you Kris, I’ve packed freshly made kimchi along with marinated chicken and of course, bulgogi. I remembered Jinah told me that you like the chicken I made for you, so I made it again. Asked Jinah to warm it for you before you eat it, okay?” she said, appointing to another bag that’s filled with food just for me. How I couldn’t like her more?

“Thank you, Mom” I replied, nodding my head politely over her. Even though I’ve been lying to her regarding the truth about my relationship with her daughter, still, I respected her no less than a son in law should be. I thought she’s like one of my kind aunts who passed away two years ago; Jinah’s mother was as nice as her and I’m happy to have these two people in my life.

“The packing is done… Let’s have some lunch!”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“I thought you’re kidding when you said that we’re going to be a delivery guy…” Jongin said as he blankly looked at the bag that I brought on my hand. I swung it next to me; he just shook his head as he sheepishly grinning. “I never thought that I would see this side of you. Being devoted to your one and only wife…”

“Shut up” I said plainly as I checked on my phone.

“She really should see you doing all of this. First, you’re being a good son in law, and now… you’re being a good husband. Awww~” Jongin continued to tease me. His habit, attacking me whenever possible. I decided to ignore him; he surely has such a loud mouth to tease people as much as his complaining hobby.

“Hyung” he called me again.

“Hmm”

“Are you sure you’re not in love with Im Jinah?”

I turned my head away from my phone, just to give Jongin my glare. “Can’t you just be quiet?”

Jongin rolled his eyes, putting his hands up as a sign of defeat. He put both of his hands on the jeans pocket and walked back and forth as we waited the metal door in front of us to be opened.

Right after I’m having my lunch at Jinah’s house, I decided to pick up Jongin and asked him to be my companion to visit Jinah at her meeting place. Of course, he couldn’t stop teasing me as I’m asking him to accompany me seeing her. But it was better, at least I have him with me; I couldn’t imagine coming to this place all alone.

It’s a photography studio and from what I heard from Minkyung, her personal assistant, Jinah’s last schedule today was this photo-shoot for a magazine. I thought that I could just wait for her at home, but since her mother worried about her health and wanted her to consume the vitamin water along with the porridge she made for Jinah, doing a delivery seemed to be something that I at least could do. So here I am waiting to see Jinah as Jongin accompanied me. He’s just about to think on how to run away from his matchmaking Saturday routine (the day when his mom arranged a date for him, in order to make him realize the importance of relationship and marriage) when I called him to go with me, and he couldn’t be more thankful for this free solution.

“Oppa?”

I turned my body around and found Minkyung opening the door. She’s wearing a legging and oversized printed t-shirt, her hair was made into a bun and she wore her glasses.

“Oh, hi Minkyung” I greeted Minkyung who nodded politely to me. Well, it wasn’t her fault to be surprised over the thing that happened between me and Jinah. Minkyung never knew about me and Jinah until the night I introduced her as my wife to be. And ever since that event, whenever I saw her, Minkyung would be politely greeting me even though I told her that she should not do that, and instead of calling me Mr. Wu she should start to call me with ‘oppa’.

“You’re alone?” she asked me as she opened the door of the building a little bigger. It looked like a back door of a house or something.

“Hi, Miss Minkyung!” Jongin happily greeted Minkyung who looked surprise yet happy to see Jongin. Wait, was she fell for this jerk? I should warn her about Jongin and his heartbreaker records.

“Come in” she said once she could control her expression. I walked inside and closed the door before we walked side by side. I heard a loud music from the upper floor of the building.

“There are three photo-shoots today in the studio so it’s quiet loud and filled with people” Minkyung said, explaining the people I saw here and there.

Those people were all busy taking things or preparing things. I saw two rolling racks being pushed to a room, filled with various types of clothes; men clothes to be exact. Another two girls walked passed me while they brought three huge luggage.

“Makeup artists” Minkyung said, nodding to the two girls like she knew what I’ve been thinking.

We followed Minkyung with Jongin sometimes tried to build a conversation with Minkyung, but this girl seemed to be really shy around him so she just answered flatly. I just knew that Jongin enjoyed teasing and asking her as he rolled his eyes around me while grinning, his sign when he found a new toy. I really need to warn Minkyung about Jongin. Oh this guy…

When we reached the second floor and went inside a huge room, I realized that we’re in the middle of photo-shoot process. An edgy music being played in the room, a huge fan blew a perfect wind and there’re lighting everywhere. There were so many people inside; I didn’t know whether I walked to the right place or not, I just simply followed Minkyung whose height didn’t even reach my chest level.  She’s so small, so it’s easy for her to walk there, while me; I tried my best not to trip over the floor.

“Hyung, you’re so famous right now” Jongin said as he nudged me with his elbow.

“Huh?”

“Those persons earlier, when we passed them, the women there went crazy. They’re gasping upon seeing you here…’Oh, Jinah’s husband!’ ‘Omg, is that Kris Wu? Jinah’s husband?’” Jongin impersonate those whisperers and I just listened to him. “At this rate, I didn’t know who’s protecting who. I mean, you as Wu’s successor or Jinah noona, as the famous supermodel. You two protect each other well”

“Don’t say those kinds of things openly in public” I reminded him and that immediately put Jongin in silent. Oh, I love my choice of words sometimes.

Once we passed the sea of people, we finally could see the real set of the photo-shoot. There’s a huge sofa, and there’s a table with a huge vase and roses inside, pink roses. The photographer asked his assistant to do some set changing and adjust the lighting; he tried to take pictures of the blank setting. I’m quite familiar with this kind of setting; I used to do a lot of interview back then for Seoul Daily or any other business magazines, but ever since the news about me being the successor of the Wu Global Company released, no interview requests were accepted by my legal advisor. My mother told me that I’m no celebrity, so no need to do those interviews that mainly interested only about my love life or my choice over brand clothes or perfumes. Those things fit Jongin better.  Rather than busy running his father’s car company, Jongin mainly interested on building bars and restaurants, and he has a routine to come to any new brands launching event or movie’s private screening. This kind of world would probably being made for Jongin, not for me.

“Unnie!”

I turned around as I heard Minkyung called Jinah. She looked somewhat fresh and gorgeous on her semi-formal clothes and the way I looked it from here, she matched well with the male who talked to her. He wore a white short that stopped at his knee, paired with a dark blue polo shirt and knitted cardigan that’s hanging on his shoulder. They seemed close, judging from the way Im Jinah ignored his hand that’s securely placed around her waist.  

Once she heard Minkyung called her name, Jinah stopped talking with the guy and her eyes widened as she saw me.

Kris?” she called my name in surprised. “What are you doing here?”

The male looked at me too and smiled politely when I walked closer to them. I didn’t know why, but I kept looking at how his hand comfortably placed around Jinah’s waist. This woman is crazy, how could she let another guy hug her like that? There were so many reporters here, doing interview with other models or just simply filming the backstage view. And what if they caught her hugging like that with this guy? Heck, who’s he?

“Oh” he said as he took a step back and pulled his hand away from Jinah. “Pardon me for being impolite here” he smiled to me again. “I’m Lee Jongsuk. You must be Kris Wu, Jinah’s husband, right?” he gave me his hand and shook my hand in a firm way. He must have been a sociable person, judging from his way of shaking hands. The firmer the way they hold your hand, the more confident that person would be; a little thing I learned during my career. Oh but anyway, he has a manner problem with his hand.

“Jongsuk oppa is my friend, Kris” Jinah added, as she introduced me to this guy. “We knew each other since high school and somehow people thought that we’re twin siblings”

“Twin?” I raised one of my eyebrows.

“We look similar, don’t we?” that Jongsuk guy said as he wrapped Jinah’s shoulder and glued his face with Jinah. Ok, they looked slightly similar but no need to be that attached. Jinah just laughed along with Jongsuk and they shared a familiar laugh, confirming their close relationship. Why I am the cranky one here?

“Noona!” Jongin’s voice was heard and he happily waved over her. “Oh, Jongsuk hyung!” he addressed the male and they hugged each other comfortably.

“Hey, Jongin. How are you?” Lee Jongsuk greeted Jongin and just in seconds, they’re involved in a talk regarding car, party, and an invitation to one of Jongin’s restaurants. Their talk was interrupted by the presence of Jongsuk’s assistant. She reminded him of his interview session upstairs.

“I’m really sorry. I should be attending my interview now. I’ll see you again, Jinah, Jongin. And nice to meet you, Kris Wu” he nodded again to me as he smiled. Well, he has a nice manner in greeting people. Jinah waved at him and they parted. Jongin somehow should answer a call; he excused himself to the balcony while Minkyung was being called by the photographer so I left only with Jinah who stood across me.

“Is it okay with you to talk with Lee Jongsuk that closely?” I asked her as she looked at me with an unsure expression, letting out a chuckle as my words sounded like a joke.

“Of course it’s fine. Why would you-” she paused her words and looked at the surrounding, “Do you think the reporters will make a news about it? Please, Kris. Jongsuk oppa and I had been friends for years, no worry about it” she shrugged calmly, adjusting her outer.

“It’s good then. No unnecessary scandal, okay?” I reminded her, she nodded mindlessly.

“Anyway, what are you doing here?”

Oh yeah, that.

“Delivery” I put the bag her mom gave me and she took the bag from me, checking what was inside.

“My mom made you deliver this to me?” she asked in surprise, I just nodded. “Did you see my mom?”

I nodded again and she blinked her eyes several times.

“Why she asked you to send it to me?”

“I’m your husband, remember? Of course it’s normal for my mother in law to ask me do some errands, especially if it’s related with you, her daughter that’s currently pregnant”

“And why did you see my mother?”

I shrugged casually. “It’s Saturday” I replied.

“Well, aren’t you having a meeting?”

“My meeting had just done”

“Aren’t your meeting lasted until night?”

“I never said my meeting will be until late night”

Im Jinah looked at me, still in confused. “So, you’re coming to my house and meet my mother and she asked you to give these stuffs to me?” she repeated the whole question again.

And I have to nod again.

“And you’re just following what my mom said? I mean-“

“Just accept this, will you?” I cut her words off. “I have a free time and your mom just wanted me, her daughter’s husband, to deliver it to you so I can report to her that you’ve finished this soup and the vitamin water. Can we end the discussion regarding this?” I said to her in a calm manner, leaving her all speechless.

“Unnie, it’s your turn” Minkyung came to us at the end of our discussion. Seemed like Jinah need to do her schedule. I took the bag with me, placing it to the nearest table.

“Are you… going to wait here?” Jinah asked me as Minkyung helped her to check on her attire. It was a simple flowery long dress covered with cardigan; she looked great on that with heavy eye makeup that made her looked bold and fierce. I nodded twice to ensure her.

“Go here to have your soup once you’re done with your photo shoot okay?”

Out of my expectation, she nodded and headed to the set. The makeup artist lined up along with her hair stylist, checking on her appearance before she did the photo shoot. After she was talking for a while with the photographer, Jinah was finally ready on the set to let her pictures taken. I kept checking on her while she did her work. Jinah looked confidently to the camera when the photographer asked her to give her cold straight look to the camera, another time she would touch her cheek and smiled as she looked away to another direction.

 

 

I didn’t know the theme of the photo-shoot until the head of the magazine coming next to me.

“Kris Wu, how are you?” Mrs. Jung Ryeowon came and took a seat next to me. I shook hand with her and politely nodded.

“I’m good. How are you?”

“Well, doing fine with my husband and my kids. Are you perhaps coming here for your wife?” she politely asked, I smiled as I nodded to her.

Mrs. Jung was not a strange name for me. Her magazine, Her, usually covered any socialite activities that were held in our hotel. She has quite a good relationship with my mother as well as my big family in China. The magazine used to come to my house back in Guangzhou and did some publication regarding the Wu family. She’s a nice person and it was good to see her like this.

“I saw your publicized wedding picture. You look handsome there. Too bad it was not on my magazine” she said as she crossed her hands in front of her chest.

“I have no idea regarding the publication. I’m sorry” I said to her, smiling.

“Jinah doing well in her work after the news about her pregnancy came out. I couldn’t imagine how she could face it at first, but I guess your support made her appear more energetic recently?” Mrs. Jung said as she smiled in understanding. If only she knew that I almost didn’t know that Jinah’s having my baby.

“She’s a good and professional supermodel. For her to have a career like that and have a baby as well as building a family with you, I’m kind of surprised though. I thought she would want to do more runways outside the country, I have no idea that she would settle this soon” Mrs. Jung said as she looked at Jinah.

I followed her stare and Jinah was seen posing comfortably as she leaned to the wall with an alluring look. Man, I didn’t know that they wanted this kind of expression coming up from a pregnant woman. Not too long after that shoot, she’s taken to her seat that’s next to me. The shoot would take a short break before it’s continued.

“Oh, Mrs. Jung” she politely greeted Mrs. Jung who nodded and smiled to her.

“Looking beautiful as always, Dear” Mrs. Jung praised her and Jinah only let out a small smile. “How sweet it is of the two of you. It’s nice to see a couple being attentive for each other” she added.

Jinah stared at me and made an awkward smile. “He’s just having a free time, that’s why he came here. He usually a busy person”

“Yeah, your husband’s company needs him, Darling” Mrs. Jung commented. “Oh, why don’t you take a picture along with Kris, Jinah? It would be great for the magazine, hmm?” Mrs. Jung said as she clapped her hands out of her excitement. “You two have never done any interview after your wedding, right? Oh come on Jinah, let my magazine make a cover about the two of you, hmm?”

“Uhm… I don’t know” Jinah confusedly answer as she looked at me. Mrs. Jung seemed to know that the ball was on me, so she started to look at me and practically pleading me to say yes.

“Come on, Kris. Help my magazine selling, hmm?” she said playfully, making me and Jinah laughed at her expression. Mrs. Jung still looked at me and hoping that I would be saying yes. “No interview, just a photo-shoot. How about that? It’s just a simple request…”

“Well, it’s depending on Kris, Mrs. Jung…” Jinah said, secretly glanced at me.

“Kris?”

 I looked to these two women in front of me. Jinah looked at me, trying to understand what I’m going to do while Mrs. Jung seemed to be impatient to wait over my answer.

“It’s just a photo-shoot, right?” I said after the long waiting.

“It’s a yes then?” Mrs. Jung looked directly to me. And ignoring Jinah’s stare, I nodded to her. “Perfect! Ok, let me call the stylist. Jinah, enjoy your rest now” she said happily as she stood up and started to gather her team.

“I thought you dislike publication” Jinah commented as she opened the vitamin water and drank it.

“It’s not an interview, I’m fine with that”

“They’ll ridicule you, Kris. They’ll make you doing poses you dislike and wearing you clothes you find it not your style…” she said things that I clearly knew beforehand.

“Thank you for the warning” I replied, letting out a chuckle. Jinah just shook her head and ate her soup; it’s good to see her having such a good appetite. I’ve been informed by several of my seniors in the company; their wives usually had a hard time eating during pregnancy. But Jinah, she’s having a good time ordering me around to eat whatever kind of dish she wished to eat.

“Hyung, you’re going to do a photo-shoot?” Jongin who had just back from his called suddenly asked me in surprise. I nodded and he just shook his head and laughed. “I should be telling the rest of the guys…” he winked at me and back to his phone again. I thought he forgot that his main reason to come here was to accompany me and not ditched me over his phone call.

“It’s a good thing that they wouldn’t do any interview regarding us” she suddenly, wiping her hand with the wet tissue.

“Hmm? Why?” I replied as I played around with my phone.

“Imagine if they asked questions to you or me about each other, Kris. We wouldn’t be able to answer any question. Like, if they asked me what’s your favorite food or favorite music to hear, I don’t think I will know the answer. It wasn’t like I know you; I don’t even know your birthday. So it’s a relief that they’re not doing any interview” she wisely nodded as she looked at me. “Right?”

Well it’s true, I wouldn’t know either if someone interviewed me anything related with Jinah. But at least I knew her birthday. Was it wrong to know about it?

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When I’m done doing wardrobe changing, I sat down along with a makeup artist who handled my face. She kept saying that I have a great facial feature and good skin, while Jinah sometimes joking around with the makeup artist regarding my style.

“You should cut your hair, I guess” she said as she appointed my growing hair. My light color hair started to grow longer and longer, it seemed like I’m having a bang at some point.

“Can I propose myself to be your hair stylist, Mr. Wu?” the makeup artist said as she giggled along with Jinah.

“Unnie!” Jinah said as she laughed also. I didn’t know what’s so funny about it, but I let it slide and just smiled to them.

Once we’re both done with our makeup and hairdo, we were told to go to the set. Jinah wore a brown sleeveless short loose dress that stopped at her knee. The bow accent on the middle of her stomach made her baby bump appeared showing her pregnant figure. She wore wedges, but since I’m standing close to her, I could make sure that she’s not going to fall anywhere soon with that shoes. Jinah got her hair pulled to the back, creating a long ponytail since her hair was kind of long. I wore checkered shirt that’s tucked inside my white pants with black belt paired with oxford shoes. I got my hair parted into two, making a clean appearance of mine.

“Think of it as an act, Kris. You can do it” Jinah whispered before we started. I just nodded, trying to make her feeling at ease. I wanted to do this photo-shoot, I should not bothering her by doing it wrong.

“Ok, let’s just do a sweet pose first. Jinah, please linked your right arm to Kris left arm” the photographer said. Jinah easily slipped her hand next to mine without looking at me. She smiled already to the photographer. “Move closer to him, yes, correct. And put your head on his shoulder. Kris, looked at me with a smile and Jinah, maintain that smile. Ok, Kris, loosen up a bit don’t stand too straight. Ok, ready?”

The photographer took the pictures for several times. He sometimes asked me to look serious, sometimes look like I’m having a bad mood, and other times he made me smile like crazy.

“You two look great. Keep it up…” he said again. This time, he made me circled my left arm to Jinah’s shoulder and pulled her closer to my body. We got used to this kind of stuff during our wedding day, but it’s been a while since I put my hand around her body so sometimes, I appeared awkward while Jinah always successfully pulled the look that the photographer wanted.

“Kris, could you give her a back hug?” the photographer said behind his camera.

Ok, I felt awkward a bit. Jinah, who’s standing in front of me, looked to my back and mouthed “Relax” as she turned to the front again. I walked closer to her body and decided to place my hand around her neck.

“Oh, that’s good!” I heard the photographer said. “Close your eyes and don’t smile. Just calmly close your eyes…” the photographer said again. I followed his instruction and automatically placed my chin above her shoulder.

I could smell her rosy perfume that she always wore. My room always smelled like roses being placed inside whenever she walked out from her room that’s next to mine. Jinah leaned comfortably to my chest and I thought that it’s the things the photographer likes; he made us doing this pose as he took pictures of it.

“You two didn’t do any wedding pictorials, huh?” the photographer said, checking on the camera when he asked me to part from Jinah. The makeup artist came to fix Jinah makeup, while Minkyung helped to adjust my clothes. “I think you two should do it, it will come out good, Jinah”

“Then do you want to do it, Oppa?” Jinah casually responded, closing her eyes as her mascara was being fixed.

“If you two decided to do it, call me” the photographer said, smiling to both me and Jinah. She just chuckled upon listening to his words.

We were standing in the middle of the set again. I didn’t feel like I am myself. The usual Kris Wu wouldn’t even bother to attend this kind of event, but I didn’t know, I enjoyed doing this though… Jinah stood next to me, waiting for the photographer to arrange our pose.

“Jinah, is it okay for you to get lifted?” he asked her as he looked at me too. “Is it okay, Kris?”

Jinah looked at me, like asking whether it is fine for her to get lifted.

“Would it be okay with the baby?” I asked her. She gave an unsure look which I interpret as being clueless as I am.

“I’m not sure about the lifting…” I told the photographer and he nodded in understanding.

“Yes, yes, no need to risk the baby. Let’s just take the picture at the couch” he appointed the couch that’s next to us. “Jinah, please sit on Kris’ lap and put your hands around his neck, and Kris, place your hands around her waist”

Again, Jinah blankly looked at me as we walked to the couch. The photographer really made me doing poses that I’ve never thought before. I sat on the couch and then I gave my hand to Jinah, helped her to sit on my lap. Jinah was then sitting there with her hands around my neck while I enclosed her waist with both of my hands. We posed several times in that position and right when I thought that the photographer was happy with the pose, he requested another thing.

“Jinah, could you please kiss Kris cheek and Kris, please smile when she kissed you, okay?”

We’re at loss of words on that. I started to regret my decision to say yes for this photo session. But the show must go on; it would be weird if we didn’t do it. We’re a husband and wife, and her kissing my cheek should be something simple and no need to be fussy about it.

I noticed that Jinah looked somehow awkward as she placed her hands around my neck and about to kiss on my cheek. We’ve been doing anything more than just a kiss on a cheek, but in unconscious condition. So having her on my lap kissing my cheek consciously would be something big for us. I didn’t even held hand with her in daily basis, so for her to kiss me; I knew she must be feeling awkward.  But Jinah was a professional. A photo-shoot like this was a piece of cake for her, so when the photographer was getting ready to take a picture of us, she leaned in closely to my face and softly kissed my cheek.

It felt ticklish at first, but after doing it several times, I started to get used to her skin touching mine and I even started to rub the side of her waist, just to get comfortable with her presence on my lap. I felt nervous whenever she kissed me, but it felt like a good-feeling nervous. I didn’t know if it was work, but the photographer seemed to be happy with the result. When he said that it’s enough for that pose, I helped her stood up as she released her hands around my neck. Jinah leaned closer to me, wiping my cheek with her thumb.

“There’s lipstick stain here” she said, looking focused on my cheek. “It’s gone” she said, adding a small smile before she walked to her makeup artist again.

Maybe the stain gone, but the feeling of her lips touching me probably would stay for a while. It was weird, but somehow it felt fine also.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Thanks for today, Kris and Jinah. It’s a pleasure for me to have you two as my cover for the upcoming magazine edition. I’ll treat you well when the magazines sold out, okay?” Mrs. Jung said happily as she nodded politely to me and kissed Jinah cheek as we parted.

The photo-shoot was finally done and we could be ready for home. It’s evening already and we decided to go for Kyungsoo’s place before heading home, Jinah craved his cook so we agreed to have a mini dinner there as Jongin invited Sehun and Chen also. Jongin decided to take my car along with him, while I accompanied Jinah on her car. Mr. Yoon, the driver, helped us opened the door and once we’re inside the car, Jinah immediately took off her sandals and did some stretching.

“Are you sleepy?” I asked her. She nodded with a cranky face; I knew this type of face. She always had it whenever she felt there’s something wrong with her stomach. Jinah touched the bump and didn’t feel happy about it.

She turned her back to face me and placed her head to the back rest, her legs folded and placed to the car seat. She let out a heavy sigh and to be honest, I couldn’t see her kept moving her and there with uncomfortable look.

“Anything wrong?” I asked her.

“I couldn’t sit properly…” she said as she pouted in annoyance. She helplessly looked at me.

“Do you want to sleep around?”

“How?” she asked in confused.

I took off my suit and placed it on my lap. “If you want, sleep here”

She looked at me in surprise. “I mean, I didn’t see any pillow here. If you don’t want to sleep here, I can leave my suit for you to use as pillow and I can move to the front seat” I explained to her.

She didn’t say anything and just looked at me, but then she shook her head. “No need to move” she said softly.

And by that, Jinah moved closer to me and slowly placed her head on my folded suit. Her hands were clasped together in front of her as she slept with her side. She heaved a sigh, which I assumed as a form of feeling comfortable.

“Are you okay now?” I asked her.  I could hear her hummed and nodded at the same time.

“It’s just my stomach still feeling a little weird, but it’s much better…” she said, feeling all weak suddenly.

“Do you want to go to the doctor? Let’s ask Minseok to check on your health. I’m afraid you are too tired from today’s schedule” I suggested.

“I just need some sleep…” she whispered.

I looked down to see her closing her eyes, lips half opened and hands clasped. She folded her legs closer to her stomach and there I saw her bump. On her current dress, the bump was easily seen and I noticed that it’s kind of moving. Well not moving like it’s moving its position, but I noticed that there’s a small movement on her bump.

“Jinah?” I called her.

“Hmm”

I was hesitated a bit to ask her but I’m curious. I want to know about it.

“Can I… Can I touch your stomach?” I asked her, leaving the last two words as whisper.

It was silent for a while, and I’m prepared already if she didn’t allow me. I mean, it’s her body part and other than the accidental night I spent with her, there’s no way I could touch her without her permission. I felt her movement like she’s trying to adjust her body and then Jinah’s hand suddenly moved like she’s looking for something, and she found it. My hand. She held my palm and after that she placed my palm, facing her stomach and that’s it.

I felt the bump. It’s soft and it’s pretty big when I touch it, not as small as I thought it would be but maybe because her dress hid her body line, I didn’t know that the baby grew this big already. Jinah’s hand guided mine to touch all over her bump in a soft rub movement.

“It felt so hurt around here…” she said, moving my hand at the top of the bump. It’s kind of hard at that part. I could see her face suddenly went pale. “I didn’t know why, but my stomach suddenly felt so hard like I got a cramp” she added.

Her touch on my hand suddenly went missing as she placed her hand back to the front of her chest again. It’s my hand only there now, rubbing the stomach. Slowly, I traced the bump using my palm but pressing lightly the hard part using my thumb. I didn’t know what I’m doing, but maybe my hand knew what to do. I continued rubbing it slowly, so I got to touch all over the bump by sometimes pressing my thumb to the part that maybe felt a little hard.

I heard Jinah hummed something with her eyes closed. Maybe she felt comfortable already now with me rubbing her stomach for her. And as I continued rubbing, her stomach didn’t felt hard anymore. I looked at the bump in excitement and nervous feeling as I kept touching it. And it’s crazy as it may sound, but I spoke silently in my heart as I rubbed her stomach.

Hey little baby, please don’t bother your mother. She’s doing her best to keep you there, so please support her, okay?

And that’s when I felt it. As I saw Jinah lying calmly on my lap with her hands holding on my free hand and I continuously rubbed her stomach to keep the baby and the mother feeling comfortable, I suddenly felt that we’re indeed a couple. Not because of the photo-shoot that require me to be closely intimate with her, not because those compliments with envious look to both of us regarding how match we’re physically to be a pair of lover.

There’s something that made me feeling like I want to take care of her. A huge feeling inside me kept saying that I was wrong for ignoring her, that I should stay with her no matter what. It’s more than just unwritten agreement between both of us or maybe simply because there was unseen bond between I and she that kept me back for more.

The baby.

I kept continue rubbing the bump and Jinah was totally fell for a deep sleep. She totally lost in the dreamland, I bet; even a pretty hard bump from the car earlier when we passed the railroad didn’t bother her. She was still holding on my hand so I couldn’t take my phone and I somehow didn’t want to go away from her stomach.

“Mr. Yoon, please just continue to drive home. Please inform Mr. Kim, I’m cancelling the dinner with him”

My driver nodded and he swiftly changed to another lane as we’re heading to our house. Having her properly sleeping on the bed seemed to be my main goal today.

“Let’s go home, Baby” I whispered as I pressed the bump with my thumb again. 

I felt a movement from the bump. My baby listened to me well then…

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After the long awaiting… I update finally!

Why? You didn’t find what you read on the teaser I gave you earlier? Well, sorry to keep your hope high. The part that I revealed earlier is a part from some future chapters, but surely you’re going to see it soon. I’m sorry again for delay in the update. I changed a little details on the storyline, I have to adjust it since I’m not satisfied enough with the result (and because I don’t want you all to feel disappointed with my update). So here’s the update that I’ve been working for the past two weeks. It’s not easy to pull it together because I kept wanting to say everything in one go while I have a plot to be followed… But here’s the latest chapter for you!

I put Jinah’s part only at the start of the chapter and let Kris having his own part. Share me your thought about his relation with his mother, her mother, and of course to Jinah also. I tried my best to portray slightest interaction between Kris and these 3 women. Hopefully you like my plot and whatever he felt towards Jinah and the baby. Don’t worry I’ll put Jinah’s side also later on. And if you think I didn’t put about what Kris felt regarding Jinah and Woobin’s picture that he found earlier, it will come also. Please be patient with me.

And here, enjoy some bonus picture. Someone sent me this on my ask.fm and seeing it, seemed like Nana and Kris will be compatible to be paired together (hahaha my wish!) Ok, see you on the next update (which I have no idea when will be updated) (I’m busy balancing life) (I hope you don’t get bored with my reason) (I love this story so much I won’t leave it omg!)

 

Oh, a little story. The last part of this chapter was just written today and it’s purely done in my mind last night when I watched Il Divo’s concert. Really, I have no idea that it would be done in a middle of a concert. So once I went home, I immediately trying to remember it and this morning, I started to write and finalize it. Hope you all like it, guys! And thanks for heartwarming question on ask.fm as well as message and wall here.

And Perfect Timing is listed as recommendation  here in AFF and I felt happy to read it. Thank you again for the support for this story. Love you a lot! <3

xoxo,

yuriyaa