Chapter 40: Reality Check

Love Triangle

“Why are you so surprised? Even after being announced to get married this is your reaction? Actually it’s cute” Eun Jae placed the tray of food on Yi Jung`s bed and pulled him down to sit as well as she took a seat.

“Ok now you have to eat all of this and tell me how it is, I made all of this just for you!” Eun Jae smiles at the confused Yi Jung who was still unaware of what’s going on as if his memory was faint and wasn`t becoming clear. Her smile grew and she spoke again this time clarifying herself.

“You still don’t remember?”

FLASHBACK (me narrating)

“Please give another round of applause for the So family`s daughter in law...” as she spoke Mrs. So extends her arm out in the same direction Ga Eul was in. Yi Jung smiled thinking it really was Ga Eul. 

“Chu Eun Jae!” hearing that name brought Yi Jung a shock and he looks up and views the girl who had left him standing behind Ga Eul but off stage and now making her way onto the stage. Yi Jung was too clueless of why his mother made this decision that he failed to see Ga Eul disappear.

“Please do enjoy yourself today and please wish that these two have a relationship to the end of love and happiness!” Mrs. So clapped and the crowd followed with cheers and smiles.

Mrs. So was about to walk down, when Yi Jung coming back to reality called out, “Mother can I talk to you” Mrs. So turns around and smiles “Sure son what would you like to talk about?”

“Alone” Mrs. So and Yi Jung walk into Yi Jung`s room and before Mrs. So could ask a question Yi Jung burst with anger followed by many questions.

“HOW CAN YOU MAKE THIS KIND OF DECISION FOR ME? WITHOUT EVEN ASKING ME! WHY DO YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO CONTROL MY LIFE?” Yi Jung`s burst of anger and wide eyes looking directly at Mrs. So made her nervous from the sudden reaction of her son. She put her arm on his shoulder and tried to calm him down.

“Calm down son…”

“Son! After this, you`re still calling me your son?” Yi Jung burst with anger again.

“…Because I wanted to grant her last wish!” Mrs. So finally replied.

“What do you mean?”

“Eun Jae was also in the hospital I was in. The day I was discharged I spotted her in one of the patient rooms and I found out she has cancer and there is no way to cure it as she has reached her last stage. The doctors don’t know when her time might come. She pleaded to me that before she goes she wants to see herself as your bride. That is her only wish before she dies…!”

“…What?” Yi Jung didn’t know what to say in response to what he was just told. With the worries building up in his head by the second Yi Jung falls to his bed with his head down.

Mrs. So walks up to Yi Jung “I know I should have asked you but I knew you would say no that’s why I had to make this decision. At first I was afraid she would be in pain if she married you because of your ways with girls. But I have seen the real man in you; you’re not the same type of person you used to be and I`m proud to say that. That’s why I took this step without your approval. I am really sorry son” Mrs. So pats her son`s head and heads out to greet the guest. Yi Jung stood there with voices echoing in his head, the voices of his first love calling for him but he was unsure if he wanted it back.

Before thinking of how to handle this, something comes to mind and worrying more of how she must have taken this situation Yi Jung rushes out his room and walks around with his eyes only searching her appearance but like wind she had disappeared. Then a sudden tap on his shoulder causes Yi Jung to turn back and it was no other than Eun Jae. 

“Eun Jae...!”

“You were looking for me right. I know you must have so much to ask me. Don’t worry I am happy to answer anything. Lets go for a walk” Eun Jae pulls Yi Jung out the mansion Yi Jung wanted to continue his search but put a pause on it as he walked side by side next to his first true love. Them alone with the night beautiful like no other and the wind blowing slow but with a strong breeze. Wearing a sleeveless dress Eun Jae felt the breeze and used her arms to warm her up, and noticing her becoming cold Yi Jung being the gentleman takes off his coat and puts its over Eun Jae`s shoulders. Eun Jae smiles at the charming Casanova and finally words escape

“You must really hate me?”

“Why would I?” Yi Jung looking in her direction replied

“Because I am forcing you to marry me after leaving you in pain. I am so horrible right?”

“Don’t say that”

“Sometimes we make choices to help give others happiness but we only end up giving them pain...”

“What do you mean?”

“I loved you and still do more than anything...”

“Then why did you give up and leave?” Yi Jung interrupted her words.

“Because I wanted you to be happy and not be burdened by me. I found out that I had cancer on Valentines Day that’s why I invited you to that place because I wanted to confess before I leave and I wanted to know if you would accept it. I wanted to know how you feel before I leave forever.”

“...” Yi Jung stayed silent.

“I asked your brother to help me forget you because it would be too hard to leave but it only made it worse. That’s why I only ask this one wish please marry me before my time comes please” Eun Jae stopped her steps and turns to face Yi Jung and without notice hugs him with tears coming down her cheeks. Yi Jung gently pushes her away and turns away.

“What`s wrong?” Eun Jae quickly questioned to his reaction.

“I don’t know. I just don’t feel like I could do this”

“Why not?”

“I don’t know if I still like....” His words stopped as he finally found his missing girl and she had seen everything. Not knowing what really happened Ga Eul just from the scene she saw ran inside the Mansion. Yi Jung wanted to run after her but Eun Jae stopped him.

“Yi Jung please don’t leave” Eun Jae was becoming faint and then minutes after she began to cough.

“Eun Jae are you ok?”

“...” No respond, as she had already become unconscious. Yi Jung looked into the direction Ga Eul ran and then looked at the girl who had just fainted in his arms. He had no choice he picked Eun Jae in a bridal style and took him up to his room. On the way many asked what was going on or is everything ok, making an excuse Yi Jung just replied to the fact that Eun Jae fell asleep. As soon as he reached his room he placed her on his bed and called a doctor. The doctor came within minutes. After checking Eun Jae`s situation the doctor said that she had become faint due to her stress and to make sure that this doesn’t happen and to make sure that the last moments she has to live go by the happiest she ever had. The doctor followed by Yi Jung leave the room to let Eun Jae rest. With the remaining time Yi Jung looks for Ga Eul. After many tries she was finally spotted in the bar room in his house. He rushes over to Ga Eul only to find her drunk!

“Ga Eul how much did you drink?”

“Drink? What I didn’t have any drink yet” Ga Eul spoke with a faint voice.

“Lets go now” Yi Jung tried to pull Ga Eul to go with him but she refused and pulled her hand back.

“Don’t touch me. Your going to be another women’s man it’s not good to touch other women (hiccup)” Ga Eul

“Ok let’s go” Yi Jung continued to move her out but Ga Eul did not move a muscle. Loosing hope and deciding to just give her time Yi Jung took the seat next to her and watched her as she twirled and played with her empty glass, as she lifts it slowly to observe it closely, opening her hand she lets the glass drop and shatter into pieces. One piece flew of the counter and passed by Ga Eul`s soft right hand. Yi Jung quickly stood up to make sure she wasn’t injured much even with small amount of blood drops leaving her hand slowly Ga Eul did not seem to notice it.

“Ga Eul are you ok?”

“I am great, happiest I could ever be! So what are you plans for Eun Jae unnie (hiccup)?”

“What?”

“You must treat well.”

“Ga Eul I think we should go now”

“Those words, that face and your beautiful smile, oh how much I will miss it but as they say if you can`t get something even after trying then it wasn’t yours to begin with...”

“...” Only deep glares left Yi Jung. Suddenly as her drinking took full control she lost conscious and her body fell forward and her head was heading for the pieces of glass that still sat there on the counter. Yi Jung was going to have the pieces removed but Ga Eul`s word distracted him. Then noticing Ga Eul sudden reaction to become faint before her head made complete contact with the sharp pieces of glass with no other option Yi Jung put his hand in front and Ga Eul`s head softly landed on Yi Jung`s hand but because of the unexpected sudden force of her head pushed his hands hand causing the pieces to makes scars followed by blood. Yi Jung ignoring his pain picked Ga Eul up and from another route where no one would notice them, he went up to the room next to his and placed her gently on the bed.

As he placed the blanket on her he paused and glared to the beautiful sight. Yi Jung thinking back to reality made him upset and he wanted to run away from everything so he could not give anyone pain but he couldn’t even do that because that would make things worse. Yi Jung knew thinking about all this wouldn’t help and that early morning he would just have to talk to Ga Eul about everything and explain what’s going on. To make sure he got his talk Yi Jung decided to sleep in the same room but the idea of Ga Eul freaking out seeing both of them on the same bed made Yi Jung force himself to sleep on the floor. Before all that Yi Jung went over to the closet in the room and took out a first aid kit, his hands weren’t badly damaged but damaged enough that his hands did need bandaging. After his hands were bandaged Yi Jug also took a painkiller that was surprisingly siting out on his dresser. Yi Jung then takes out a bed sheet and spreads it out neatly on the floor and also takes out a pillow followed by a blanket. As he lay down on the floor, it was very uncomfortable for him but to him being able to talk to Ga Eul was much more important than him being comfortable.

Yi Jung knew he wouldn’t be getting enough sleep but surprisingly within minutes he went into a deep sleep then he ever had been in. As Yi Jung soundly slept the room`s door slowly creaks open and two men tip toe in and head for Ga Eul. They pick her up from the bed and leave. Yi Jung sleeping soundly was clueless of the action just taken.

END OF FLASHBACK