Taking Chances

30 Days

D-15

 

It’s a Saturday and you’re expecting Subin to be up later than you are. But you are wrong. Instead you found cooking your lunch since your parents were out for 2 days because of a meeting they had to attend to out of town.

 

“That smells good.” She’s cooking your favorite food.

 

“Thanks.”  She then faced you after cooking and to her surprise you’re wearing something you don’t usually wear when you’ll just stay at home.

 

“Seems like you’re going out.” She handed you your plate.

 

“Yeah. EXO’s inviting me to their practice. Wanna come?” But before Subin answered, you stood and kissed her goodbye.

 

“You’re done?”

 

“Yeah. I’m actually running late. Bye dear.”

 

“But you haven’t finished your food yet.” And you’re out the door of your house.

 

Subin cooked your favorite food because she felt bad not staying up to wait you arrive. She was too tired from school that her eyes and body failed her to do so. Because of that, she wasn’t able to come to your room and talk to you like the two of you do every night.

 

She’s expecting that you’ll tell her stories when you wake up, but that’s not what happened obviously. She’s starting to feel that you're prioritizing her less and she’s not liking that thought. She’s starting to feel jealous over EXO especially now that you’re allowed to stay out longer with them. Losing you is one of her greatest fears but it never occurred to her that the 12 boys both of you adore will be the reason behind her fear turning into reality.

 

-----

 

EXO was already starting with their practice when you arrived at the building. They paused for a while to greet you and immediately went back to finish the dance. As usual, you’re in awe with how smooth everyone moves, even Chanyeol and Jongdae for that matter. And speaking of Chanyeol, you badly want to talk to him about something.

 

“Ok, 15 minutes break.” Joonmyun announced.

 

The boys welcomed you back with open arms. They each, except for one, hugged you. Even Minseok who just saw you the day before hugged you tightly. When Joonmyun announced the breaktime, Chanyeol went out of the practice room with his bottle of water. He didn’t even bother to look or greet you. You’re not used to that kind of behavior from him and it bothered you.

 

“Ok break time is up. 1, 2, 3…” Kris did a head count checking if everyone is in the room already.

 

“Where’s Chanyeol?” he asked.

 

“I think he went out during the break.” Baekhyun said.

 

“I’ll go look for him.” You volunteered. You wanted to grab that opportunity to talk to him about what’s bothering you for the past day.

 

The 11 members proceeded with the practice without their tallest man. You searched the floor thinking where Chanyeol could be. “Where would someone like Chanyeol be?” you thought. You looked where the music room is. If he’s that person you thought he is, chances are he’ll be there playing his guitar or the drums. And indeed, you were right about him.

 

“I thought you’re supposed to be in a dance practice.” He was startled to hear a familiar voice. He put down his guitar and was about to walk out the door when you stopped him on his tracks handling something that you believe belongs to him.

 

“This is yours right?” you handed him the hooded jacket that Minseok lent you the night before.

 

“Thanks,” was all that he said after getting it.

 

“Wait, Chanyeol. I want to ask you something,” he remained silent but the room can echo both of your fast heart beating.

 

“What happened to dad on the night you brought him home?” it was one of the most awkward moments of your life.

 

“Why do you want to know?” he’s now facing you.

 

“Because he’s my dad, of course. He was drunk, he didn’t know what he was doing. And yet he arrived home safely without any scratches on him. How did that happen Chanyeol? I just want to know,” tears started to form on your eyes. And as you look at Chanyeol, it became harder to control them. Slowly they started to fall.

 

“I happen to be out that time to buy something when I saw your dad walking alone on the streets. I figured, with the way he walked, he doesn’t seem to be on the right state and so I followed him. While we were approaching a pedestrian, he all of a sudden passed out. That’s when I decided to bring him to your home,” he looked down feeling guilty that he lied to you about what really happened. But later on he realized that telling that lie was probably for the best. And he was right about it.

 

“Thank you!” you hugged him so tight while continuously saying your ‘thanks’. He couldn’t help but hug you back.

 

The two of you returned to the practice room. Everything was back to normal for you and Chanyeol after that. He became that goofy person around you again. You can see him smile at you and be randomly cheesy when he talks to you. You missed that and he missed it too.

 

The 2nd break time was longer than the first one. You can feel the happy atmosphere in the room compared to when it was a few hours ago. They played a random music. They saw you moving your head to the beat. Chanyeol pulled you to the middle of the room and let you dance freestyle. Everyone was cheering for you but you kept on telling them that you can’t dance.

 

“Oh come on Jiyeon, we bet you’re even better than Yeol and Jongdae!.”

 

“Hey!” the two boys protested.

 

“Ok then, maybe she’s shy to dance alone. Chanyeol, let’s dance together with Jiyeon.” Jongdae suggested. And without hesitation Chanyeol came forward and started shuffling while Jongdae started doing his hip-s. Seeing how desperate the two look into making you dance, you finally gave them what they’ve been asking for.

 

As you were doing your moves, everyone’s jaw dropped. They were not expecting what they saw. You’re a dancer! Every movement you made was so fluid. Even Jongin and Yixing were staring at you like you are some kind of a dance goddess. It felt like years since you last danced your heart out that you didn’t realize you were dancing until the song ended. EXO was amazed by your mini performance. They cheered loudly and gave you thumbs up.

 

“What are you?!” Sehun asked jokingly.

 

“Sorry guys. I got carried away. It’s been a while since I last danced.”

 

“Why didn’t you even warn us that you’re that great? How embarrassing of me to even challenge you.” Jongdae just face-palmed himself with what he did.

 

Everyone still can’t get over the dance you did but they have to continue with their practice so that they can finish earlier. And when they finally had the last dance done, one by one the members started fixing their stuff and leave until it was only you and Minseok who are left in the room. He continued practicing the last dance they did until a different song played. It was a slow song. You watch him move closer to where you are sitting. He stopped in front of you and held out his right hand.

 

“Can I have this dance?” he asked. Without second thoughts, you placed your left hand on top his and you let him lead you to the center of the room.

 

"Might as well take this chance while I'm alone with you again."

 

He grabbed your right hand and put it on his left shoulder while he placed his left hand on your waist. Both of your other hands were holding each other with fingers intertwined. Your bodies moved together with the slow beat. You looked deep into each other’s eyes with smiles plastered on both your faces. Your faces were slowly moving closer to each other as the song progresses.

 

If only you have the power to control time, you’ll make it stop at that moment. The moment when everything you thought was impossible, became possible. The moment when all you can hear are your hearts beating as one. The moment when everything you never dreamed of fell perfectly into place.