Confession

30 Days

 

“You two, what are you whispering about?” Your mom looked at you with questioning eyes. You want to tell them about Minseok – what he really is to you. But you just can’t, for now. These kind of stuff, you can only tell your best friend Subin.

 

“Nothing mom. I was asking what her gift for me is.”

 

“Can you not wait after we eat? We’ll open your gifts after.”

 

“I can dad. I just feel like Subin is hiding something from me. Haha.”

 

“You wish.” Subin puts out her tongue at you and continued eating the food on her plate.

 

-----

 

“Is this something pink?”

 

“NO!”

 

“Something related to Hello Kitty?”

 

“NO!”

 

“Something related to EXO?”

 

“NO!”

 

“Something I can use?”

 

“YES!”

 

“Something I will like?”

 

“YES!”

 

“Something….”

 

“Just open it please!”

 

“Subin, you’re even more excited that I am.”

 

“Of course I am. I want to see your reaction!”

 

“Ok, fine. Here it goes.” You carefully removed the wrap of the small package. You shrieked when you saw how much the gift certificate your parents gave you as their present.

 

“OMJ! This is too awesome! A gift certificate. Kyaa! Shopping! OMJ! I can buy a whole new wardrobe with this amount! Thanks so much mom and dad! You guys are really the best!” You hugged and kissed your parents repeatedly. You are just too happy and excited. You love absolutely love shopping. But most of the time you and Subin are just window shopping because of lack of funds.

 

“Use that wisely ok. You don’t have to get our permission if you want to buy something. Use it freely. Oh and by the way, you can also use that in other establishments. You may want to bring that ‘man you love’ there if he shows up right on time.” You can see the happiness and love from your parents’ faces.

 

“I will mom. Don’t worry, when that ‘man I love’ finally comes, I’ll make sure he meets you guys first.”

 

“Oh you better be. We need to know if he is good enough for you and if he can take care of you like we do.” Your ever protective father said.

 

“My turn to give you my present.”

 

“Doctor Song, your presents always surprise me. I can’t wait.” He handed you a small box. You shook it lightly. You gave him a big smile and immediately know what the box contains.

 

“Thank you! I’ve missed my room!” You hugged him tightly while continuously saying thank you.

 

“I believe it’s time that you return home and stay here for good. I’ll bring your things tomorrow, ok.”

 

“I believe so too. Ok and thank you again Doc! So now Subin, where’s my gift huh?”

 

“Uhmm, to be honest, I have no gift for you yet. I can’t seem to find the perfect one. I’m sorry.”

 

“That’s ok Subin. You staying with me throughout these years is already the greatest gift I’ve received and is continuously receiving. But if you insist on really giving me one, then just accompany me to shop using this gift certificate, ok?” You put your arms around her shoulders and smiled sincerely.

 

“I will. Thank you Jiyeon!”

 

*my gift is still in the hands of your beloved man, Kim Minseok.* Subin thought.

 

-----

 

You were asked by your parents to go to your room while the rest of them are cleaning downstairs after the small party. They know you needed to rest plus they want you to feel the room you haven’t been in for a year or so. While you’re admiring the new look of your room, you heard a knock on the door.

 

“Come in!”

 

“Hey Jiyeon, are you busy or anything?”

 

“No, not at all Doc. Why?”

 

“Did you like what we’ve prepared for you?”

 

“Like is an understatement. I LOVE it! It’s the best one yet.”

 

“Great. That’s great.” You can see the worried look on Doctor Song’s eyes. You kind of knew him well after all the years he took care of you as his patient. You know when he is happy. You know when he is bothered. And at this time, you’re sure he is experiencing the latter.

 

“Is there something bothering you?”

 

“Yes there is, Jiyeon.”

 

“It’s something about me? About my condition?”

 

“Yes. I’m sorry dear but I have to say this now. It can’t wait until tomorrow because…”

 

“Because?”

 

Doctor Song explained to you the findings regarding your condition. You listened attentively to him like always and you tried your best to understand every single explanation he is giving you. He also explained to you why he let you go back to your home and that your family knows about the news beforehand. You’re already used to hearing bad news for the past years so you kind of expected these things to happen. But what you didn’t expect is that it will be sooner. And by soon, it means tomorrow.

 

“So to summarize, I am diagnosed with a terminal illness. I only have 30 days left before I die and that the countdown starts tomorrow? Is that right?”

 

“Yes. That’s right. I’m sorry Jiyeon, we did our very best but..” You hugged your doctor tightly trying to hold back your tears. One of the things you don’t want is crying in front of other people. Because for you, it makes you look weak and you don’t want that.

 

“Thank you. Thank you Doc for everything. I guess this is the end of the line for me.” You broke from the hug and breathed heavily so as not to let the tears fall.

 

“I know you’ll understand it perfectly. I really am so sorry for having to break this news to you on your birthday. I’m sorry.”

 

“Stop saying sorry please. You have no fault in anything. This is fate. This is destiny. At least, I still have a month to do the things I wanted to do right?” You tried your best to smile to assure him that you’re ok.

 

“Right. Spend your 30 days wisely. If you need any help or whatsoever, you know you can always call me and I’ll be there for you.”

 

“I know that. Am I allowed to live like a normal 21 year old girl in the next 30 days?”

 

“Whatever your definition of normal is, go ahead. You are free to do anything. Just be careful always. I know that you are fully aware of your limitations. They still apply for the next 30 days though.”

 

“I understand. Thank you.”

 

“You’re one strong girl. I know you’ll get through this. I believe in you Kang Jiyeon.”

 

“Thank you Doctor Song. I can never be more grateful for all the things you’ve done for me over the past years.”

 

“I shall go now. You’re ok right?”

 

“Yes I am perfectly fine. No worries.”

 

“Ok. Happy birthday again Jiyeon. Hwaiting!” He kissed you on the cheek and gave you a two thumbs up before leaving your room.

 

Throughout the night, when you’re finally alone in your bedroom, all you did was cry your heart out. The pain from the news you’ve heard is slowly sinking. You wanted to be violent, you wanted to be in rage, you wanted to run away, but you just can’t. You just can’t because all you can think of for the next 30 days of your life is how you’re going to live it to the fullest without regretting anything in the end.