Kang Jiyeon

30 Days

D-9

 

“We can’t promise that we won’t be harsh to him. But we can promise that we’ll leave him alive for you to kill,” Jongdae’s words still lingered in your mind as you went up to your room. You left a pretty heavy atmosphere downstairs but you don’t really care about in anymore. At that moment, all you wanted was to be alone.

 

You went to your window to close it. Outside, you could see EXO leaving with very unpleasant expressions on their faces. You stared at them for a while, thinking that that might be the last time you’ll ever see their faces. And then a few seconds after, one of them turned his head towards your window to have a glance. Chanyeol’s pleading eyes met yours. It was as if he’s saying through his big eyes, “ask me to stay, then I’ll stay.” But all he received was a blank gaze from you.

 

When EXO was out of your sight, you finally closed your window and decided to just go to bed. But as you made a step with your right foot, you felt a terrible pain from your chest. You tried to step little by little but it was getting worse, until you felt your body losing all its energy. Everything went black.

 

Subin was going upstairs to check up on you when she heard a loud bang coming from your room. She hastened her steps. Thinking that the door was locked, she knocked and called your name several times. But after hearing no response, she tried turning the knob. She felt stupid finding out that the door wasn’t locked from the very beginning. Upon entering the room, she saw your body lying on the floor. She was in deep panic when she realized that your pulses had stopped. They immediately called an ambulance and sent you to the hospital. And that was the last time they saw you have a heart attack.

 

D-8

 

You woke up, from your deepest slumber by far. It wasn’t the first time you’ve been in that place. Everything’s white just like your hospital room. The only difference is that it has no walls dividing you away from the outside world. It’s as vast as a plain with the clear beautiful sky right above you. It was very peaceful, unlike when you were on the other familiar place. You could still remember the first time you’ve been there - you felt the ‘want’ to leave despite its inviting and welcoming serenity. But this time it’s different. You already have no plan of leaving that tranquil place.

 

You were so caught up with your own thoughts that you didn’t realize someone went near you, until she made herself visible to you with a question, “what are you doing here?”

 

You looked behind and there you saw the most peaceful face you’ve ever seen in your life. She’s an old lady but she still looked very beautiful. And you thought to yourself “how long should I stay here to be this beautiful?”

 

“What are you doing here?” she repeated. “I…I think I just died,” you answered with certainty.

 

“Oh no no no! You’re not supposed to be here yet,” she answered back.

 

“What? Why?”

 

“Because someone is still waiting for you down there,” she replied while pointing at an invisible whatever it was.

 

“How could you be sure of that?”

 

“How would I not know it?” you were already confused with the old lady’s answers. You just blinked for a split second then poof, she’s already gone without getting any clear answer for anything.

 

D-7

 

You can hear people talking but their conversation wasn’t clear at first until after a few minutes of finally being conscious. You realized that the voices belonged to Junho and Subin. They were arguing whether to make you stay in the hospital for the remaining days or bring you back home again. Subin wanted you to get out from that hospital while Junho, who happens to be your doctor, says otherwise.

 

“What’s the matter with you? You were the one who suggested that she live a normal life outside the hospital in the first place, for her own good, but now you wanted to keep her in this tormenting room.”

 

“You want to really know why?” Junho asked Subin. And she answered, “obviously, yeah!”

 

“I wanted her to stay because I didn’t want another guy to steal her away from me again, especially now that she only has a few days left.”

 

“Is this about Minseok?” you were fully awakened by the name you just heard, though you kept your eyes shut still. You can hear Junho blaming Subin on why this happened to you, because if she didn’t send that email in the first place, your life will be much easier and happier.

 

“I only did what I believed was right,” Subin protested. “But is it now? Look at her Subin. She’s miserable, unconscious and back on the hospital because of what you did! Because of what you thought was right.”

 

The two didn’t let the other win that easily. Junho backed up his argument with the facts he know as a doctor while Subin unconsciously fights for Minseok – that he is not the only one at fault with everything that happened to you.

 

“So you’re on his side now after the crap he did to your bestfriend?” you can clearly see in your mind the furious looks on the two’s faces during their argument. You wanted to in but you know you can’t yet with your state.

 

“It’s not like that ---“ Junho cut her off, “Oh I know! I know now! You’re in love with Minseok too. That’s why you kept on saving that ’s face in this argument. I can see it your eyes. I’m right Subin, aren’t I? You’re in love with Kim Minseok,” silence filed the room for a minute. You waited for her answer even though you were already hurting inside of the possibility. But instead of hearing a response, you heard the door of your room bang. You couldn’t take it anymore and finally opened your eyes. Junho was still there standing. He was so surprised to see you awake.

 

“How long have you been conscious?” he nervously asked. “Long enough to hear everything,” you answered.

 

 

D-6

 

After being mentally awake and thinking about where could Subin be, since you didn’t hear anything from her after the argument with Junho the day before.  You slowly opened your eyes and you saw, by your window, a very familiar figure, a figure that you weren’t expecting at all to see in that morning. The figure was very steady while looking seriously outside the window.

 

You decided to call out the name owning the figure, “Subin.” She jolted because of surprise. That was the first time she saw you awake in days but the only word she said was, “Hi!”

 

The atmosphere was unlikely very awkward between the two of you. You then tried to start a conversation, “beautiful view outside?” you gave her a sweet smile, like you always do.

 

“Yeah,” she replied as she walked near your bed, “you’ll be going home today. I already fixed your stuff so that we can leave right away after you’ve woken up. It seems like there’s going to be a heavy rain today so we better get home fast before it pours.” She started helping you up when you blurted out the question you’ve been dying to ask since the day before, “are you in love with Minseok?”

 

Her eyes widened like an owl. She seemed confused with the sudden question. You then explained to her that you’ve heard her and Junho’s argument up until before she exited the door and never returned. She looked at you deep in the eyes and responded with a smile on her face, “I’m not in love with Minseok. How can I be in love with him when someone else is already holding my heart?”

 

“Who?” you asked. Then the two of you saw Junho enter the room. Subin seemed appalled with his sudden appearance. And there you realized something very important about your best friend. You’ve been too blinded by your own selfish needs and interests that you didn’t see hers until that time only.

 

All three of you went down together to get a cab. It was like right on cue when the rain started pouring as you were in the hospital lobby. Subin went to the entrance to check on some cabs. She returned and gave you an umbrella. “Let’s go,” she said. You were expecting to see a cab waiting for you, but instead you saw a man drenched in the rain, with his head bowed down, sitting outside a few meters away from where you were standing. It was Kim Minseok.

 

 

Thank you everyone! :D