The Notebook

30 Days

D-11

 

Last night was probably the most romantic night of your life. Never have you imagined that you’ll be standing in front of the Han River with the man you admire the most in the world. You were beyond excited to see him the next day and show him the songs you’ve written way back.

 

The doorbell rang and you hurriedly went down to greet your ‘moonlight.’ But to your surprise, instead of seeing a thin baozi a giant was standing at the foot of your doorstep.

 

“Hey,” was all that came out of his mouth. You replied with the same word. You thought that back in the practice room, everything was back to normal between you and Chanyeol. But during that time you couldn’t help but feel awkward and you didn’t even know why.

 

“Can I come in?” he then asked next.

 

“Of course. I’m sorry, how rude of me,” that was the 1st time he saw your house from the inside.

 

“Where’s Minseok, by the way?” you then asked.

 

“Minseok-hyung is filming for a music video he and an actress will star in. He asked me to go here since I’m the only one who happened to not have any schedule for today. That’s fine with you right?”

 

“Of course Chanyeol, it’s more than fine with me. Have you eaten already?”

 

“Yeah, I ate before leaving the dorm. Thanks anyway.”

 

“Well if that is so, then let’s go up to my room. I wanna show you something.” he froze upon hearing the word ‘room’. Entering it was something he only imagined and never expected to happen, until that day.

 

‘I wanna show you something.’ Chanyeol’s mind was going berserk as he took each step to your private space. He wasn’t ready with whatever’s going to happen. His body and mind were starting to feel things that he has no control of especially when he’s with someone he extremely likes. He tried shutting off the thoughts but it wasn’t working the way he wanted it too.

 

You on the other hand was mentally slapping yourself. You didn’t know what had gotten into your mind that you invited him to your room. Maybe because you have no other activity in mind, at that time, to do with him. No other man, except for your dad and Junho, has entered it. The 3rd one was supposed to be Minseok but that’s not what happened. You heard a short gasped from behind as you opened your room door.

 

“Have a seat,” and he sat on the couch by your window. It brought back memories from the day he used to wait for you pass by your window so that he could see you from across the street hiding behind the tree that he was now seeing from where he was sitting. He scanned the room like a kid who just entered a toy store. There were pictures of you when you were still a toddler up until the present time. He smiled when he saw a framed picture of them on your desk. But what interested him the most was the king-sized bed of yours. He thought it was too big for you.

 

“Who do you sleep here with?” Chanyeol realized after he blurted it out that it sounded way too wrong. But he was relieved when he saw you smile.

 

“I know, the bed is too big for me. But I roll around when I sleep except when there are hoses attached in my body, of course. Most of the time I’m alone. But there were some instances that Subin slept with me. And by that I didn’t mean it in a naughty way. Chanyeol, I can hear what your brain is thinking,” you let out a laugh and he did the same. That stopped the naughty thoughts he was having.

 

“I’ve been keeping this for more than a year now,” you handed him a notebook. Never did it occur to you that you’ll show it to Chanyeol, because even Subin hasn’t seen it yet.

 

He scanned every page of it with amazement. He never expected this side of you. Actually, you too didn’t expect that from yourself. Not before Minseok came into existence in your life.

 

“You compose songs?”

 

“Not really. I only write the lyrics. I use the melody of existing songs. For example, this one,” you showed him the song on the 8th page.

 

“Oh, Baby Steps!”

 

Oh somebody is hurting here

Wanting to forget her dear

And now she’s drowning in her own tears

Somebody save her from fear

Heal her heart step by step

One, two, it’s killing me

Three, four, help me please

Five, six, I want peace

Heal her heart step by step

 

“It’s about a girl who’s seeking for help in order to forget her feelings for someone. And she’s taking it step by step. “

 

“It’s beautiful and painful at the same time,” Chanyeol turned to the 1st page after you and him jammed to the song.

 

“Flower Boy? Does the guy in this song really smell like a flower? Doesn’t that seem gay?”

 

“It’s not literally like that. It’s more of how the girl feels towards a guy whom she wanted to see all the time just like those flowers outside,” and you pointed to him the flowers at your front yard.

 

Like flowers, my baby

You make my day colorful

Wish that I could be

With you eternally

 

Stay with me

Like the flowers outside

Shine your leaves

Got to be your sunlight babe

Cos I’m wanting to make you

Say, you’ll stay always

 

“Brilliant!” and the two of you tried singing to it like the 1st one. Everytime he encounters a familiar melody, he tried singing to the song with your lyrics until he arrived at the latest one.

 

“Written last night? Oh,” he read through the lyrics and there was no doubt he knew to whom that song was written for.

 

I think I love you

Still not sure though

But I miss you

Still in denial

When your eyes looked at me

It was near fantasy

Can’t believe it’s reality

I’m falling for you

Will you catch me

Whenever I need you

Though you never know that

You’re the air that I breathe

For me not to feel weak

Everything I wished for is in you

These are true

 

“What do you think?” you asked nervously.

 

“To whoever this song is written for, he sure is the luckiest man out there.”

 

-----

 

Chanyeol was walking home when he heard a guy with a cute voice call him. He knew who it was, of course.

 

“Hi hyung,” he didn’t know what to feel  when he saw how happy Minseok is while he was there feeling broken than ever after everything he read and knew.

 

“How was Jiyeon?”

 

“She’s fine. I thought she knew that you weren’t coming.”

 

“Oh, I didn’t tell her. I thought that maybe she could use a little surprise from her favorite giant. Thank you Chanyeol,” he just gave Minseok a weak smile.

 

“Is there something wrong Yeol?” Minseok was worried because he’s not used to seeing his dongsaeng looking like that.

 

“I’m just tired hyung.”

 

“Tired from what? You just stayed at Jiyeon’s place and here you are looking drained. Oh! What did you and Jiyeon do?” They stopped in front of their dorm. Minseok looked nothing like the playful guy Chanyeol was with a few minutes ago. He all of a sudden became serious. Chanyeol then thought of messing with his hyung’s mind.

 

“Secrets are never meant to be told and heard, hyung. Sorry,” the curious Minseok kept on forcing Chanyeol to tell him what happened, but he failed. Instead, Chanyeol went straight to his room giving the people downstairs his mischievous look.

 

“Why was he with you at the shooting?” Luhan asked.

 

“He wasn’t. He came from Jiyeon’s because I asked him to since he has no schedule today.”

 

“What did he do there then?” Even though Baekhyun perfectly knows how his best friend’s mind works, he still asked the question anyway.

 

“That’s what I was asking him,” the members started giving their own guesses on what happened until the discussion started going over the top. Boys will always be boys, as they say. As the rest of the members were having fun talking about and other related topics, Baekhyun went up to check on his friend.

 

He sensed that something is not going right behind one of the room doors.