Past Midnight Memories

30 Days

To everyone who prayed and extended their help for those affected by Typhoon Haiyan in my motherland, the Philippines, THANK YOU SO MUCH! <3

 

You finally let your feelings out, thanks to your most amazing best friend and sister who is always there for you. The two of you were sharing a few laughs after the drama you just had when a knock was made on your room door. You thought it was your father wanting to talk to you about what happened. Unfortunately, it was just your mother calling the two of you out for dinner.

 

The dining area was awfully quiet. You and your father barely glanced at each other. The tension was building up without anyone talking and looking. Subin and your mom can’t handle it and so they both decided to just leave the two of you alone; hoping that you will sort things out while they're gone. When they left, you felt obliged to talk first about the issue. But you weren’t in the mood to.

 

“I’m done. I’m going to bed.”

 

“Jiyeon, wait! Do you have something to say to me?”

 

“None.” You answered without even looking at him.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Well then, can we talk?”

 

“What do you think we’re doing, dad. Aren’t we already talking?”

 

“What I mean is a ‘real talk’.”

 

“About what?”

 

“About what you told Subin in your room.” You couldn’t help but face him after hearing what he said.

 

“You eavesdropped?”

 

“I didn’t mean to.”

 

“Well if you heard everything that I told her, what else do I have to say then?” you temper is slowly boiling but you’re trying your best not to burst for you know what’s going to happen to you.

 

“I want you to say them to me, directly.” On the other hand, your father was still as calm as an asleep baby.

 

“Will there be any difference?” your dad didn’t know how to respond to that question.

 

“All I ever wanted was your understanding and trust, dad.”

 

“I understand and trust you, Jiyeon.”

 

“If so, why don’t I feel it? It’s as if everytime I talk to you about something, you’re not listening. No matter how much I wanted to be open to you about everything that’s happening in my life, I can’t because there’s always a part of me that’s afraid of doing so. And I don’t even know why I’m feeling that way.”

 

Your father remained silent. He knows that you’re still not done. And he was right.

 

“You always tell us your plans of giving us this and that. Of how much you want our family to have a better life someday. How much you wanted to give me a better life for I have lived in closed doors for practically half of my existence. But what did you do? When you slammed that door in front of my friends’ faces, you also slammed my door to a better life. A life where I can be who I am outside the four walls of my room. Thank you dad for taking it away from me when it was already in my hands.”

 

You left the dining area without waiting for your father’s reply. You went to your room and started weeping until you slept the anger and pain away.

 

He knew he was wrong in a way because he let his over-protectiveness run in the promise he made to you. He knew to himself that he had never seen you so alive and happy in years until the deal started. In those few weeks, he saw how his dependent baby girl grew into a mature lady that he had always hoped for. He knew that he should be grateful to EXO because they made you stronger and treated you as a normal person, as if you’re not suffering from anything for that matter. But what did he do? He made you feel weak and vulnerable again.

 

He was extremely feeling guilty inside that he couldn’t bear to sleep. He just drowned himself in alcohol thinking that that might help him in a way, but he was wrong.

 

When the bottles were already empty, he decided to go out and buy more. It was already way past midnight when he went out. The streets were pretty empty and the cars were speeding so fast. He was wobbling while walking towards the nearest convenience store from your house which is 2 blocks away. He was talking loudly about how bad he is as a father and that he doesn’t even deserve to be called one. He was also saying about how apologetic he feels towards what he did to you and to EXO. Everything he wasn’t able to say to you right after you left during dinner was what he was shouting out in the streets.

 

It was clear that he wasn’t in the proper state to be walking alone that time. He was about to cross to the first block when a car came rushing the street like wind. He was an inch away from death when a man in a hooded jacket pulled him back to the sidewalk right before the car almost throw him for who knows how far. He was about to face the man and thank him before he reached his limit and passed out.

 

At around 2 in the morning, you heard your doorbell rang nonstop. It didn’t stop until you, Subin and your mom were already downstairs quite panicky inside.

 

“Where’s dad?”

 

“I left him here in the living room drinking.” Your mom was shocked when she noticed that her husband wasn’t there at all.

 

“I looked for him in the other rooms, but he’s not there too.”

 

Your mom was already crying because of too much worrying. You wanted to comfort her but there was a door waiting to be opened. You twisted the doorknob and slowly pulled the door open. And there at the foot of your door laid the man that the three of you have been worried about in the past few minutes.

 

“Dad’s here.” Subin and your mom ran to where you are and helped the drunken man into his home. As you scan your surroundings, your eyes laid on a hooded person hiding behind one of the trees. You can barely see the person’s face with the darkness but you know that he or she was looking at you straight in the eyes. With one blink, you saw the person run away. And from the tall stature and body built you saw as he was leaving, you can be sure that that person is a guy.

 

“Who could have brought him here?” Subin asked. You wanted to tell them about what you say but you decided not to.

 

“How is he? Does he have any cuts or bruises?” you worried. Who knows what he might have done to him.

 

“His heart is still beating. He has no signs of brutality done to him. He is perfectly fine.” Your mom was totally relieved after checking her husband's situation.

 

You offered to take care of your father. You grabbed that opportunity to tell him everything you always wanted to tell him, from how grateful you are that he is your dad to how much you’ll love him until your last breath. You were so scared by the fact that he was almost taken away from you too.

 

So whoever he is who brought your dad to your home safe and in one piece, you owe him so much. For he made you realize how much your father really meant to you. And that no matter how much he disappointed you before, you'll always forgive and respect him. For without him, you are nothing.