Definitions

30 Days

Mr. and Mrs. Kim introduced you to their churchmates after the ceremony. Everyone was thrilled to meet Minseok’s special someone. And apparently his parents had already given these people a heads up on what you were going through at the moment.

 

“These are Mr. and Mrs. Choi. They are our longest family friend,” you and Minseok bowed to them in respect and they too did the same.

 

“Mr. and Mrs. Choi, you remember my son Minseok?”

 

“Yes yes, of course. It’s been ages since we last saw you here. We’ve been seeing a lot of you on TV though. Your group is doing great. Congratulations dear!” Mrs. Choi hugged Minseok like he’s her own son.

 

“And this is Jiyeon, the girl I’ve been telling you about.”

 

“As expected from Minseok’s taste, you look beautiful sweetie,” Mrs. Choi hugged you and whispered to your ear, “be strong, ok. We’ll continue praying for a miracle to happen. Just keep the faith.”

 

“Thank you,” and you bowed to them again.

 

It was like a mini fanmeeting for Minseok since most of their churchmates asked for a picture and his autograph. It’s a rare opportunity anyway that he gets to come back home and be with his family to church. You on the other hand never stopped from bowing everytime Minseok’s parents introduce you to someone. It was like you are their child too with the way they brag about the things they know about you. It was a great feeling. Plus, all the prayers you get from all those people were more than enough blessings in one day.

 

Upon getting back home, Minseok got in first and went straight to his room without a word. You noticed how his mood had changed and so you decided to follow him to his room.

 

“Knock knock,” he didn’t even look your way. “Ok, why the long face now?” you went beside him and made him face you.

 

“Don’t give me that gloomy face when I die,” that’s when Minseok snapped.

 

“Why are you like that?” His voice became loud all of a sudden. “You talk about your death like it’s nothing to be scared of? Like it’s something ordinary.”

 

“It is ordinary. Everyone will die eventually. It’s just a matter of time,” you tried to keep your voice as calm as possible so as not to add to the heavy atmosphere.

 

“But it seems to me that you don’t care that you’ll be leaving a lot of people behind! You smile like you are actually excited to die! Are you that eager to leave your family? Are you really that eager to leave me?” You shook your head in disapproval.

 

“Not this again Minseok.”

 

“Jiyeon, I don’t want you to die. Is there anything I can do to change that?” you shook your head again.

 

“So you’re giving up just like that? There must be a way! There should be a way!”

 

“Minseok, stop.” You’re trying to calm him down. “Don’t bother yourself with something that has already been decided.

 

“Decided by whom? Those doctors? Those doctors who told you about your condition are just humans like us Jiyeon! They’re not god who can decide when will someone die!”

 

“I know that. But we too are not god who can just stop whatever it is that has to happen.” You took a deep breath to calm your nerves and continued, “Instead of having this argument and figuring out a way to escape my death, why don’t we just make the most out of the remaining days?”

 

“But it is short and you know that. Those 30 days were too short for us. Why can’t it be 30 years or 30 decades instead? I love you so much Jiyeon that I can’t imagine being with another girl other than you.”

 

“Don’t say that.”

 

“I’LL SAY WHAT I WANT TO SAY!” Minseok shouted and you just sat there praying that the tension will be over.

 

“What’s going on here?” His mom rushed to his room after hearing the shout. But upon seeing the situation in the room, she already knew the problem.

 

“Jiyeon, go finish packing your bags. You kids better leave early so that you can arrive to Seoul before it gets dark.” You left the room and did what was told you to do.

 

After a few minutes, everyone was ready to bid goodbye to each other. You put your bags in the trunk and went back to thank the Kims.

 

“Thank you so much for everything. I enjoyed my stay. The fresh air really helped a lot.”

 

“That’s great to know. Feel free to come back anytime you want.”

 

“I’ll try my best to return,” then Mr. and Mrs. Kim hugged you so tight. Their embrace felt so good. It was just like from your own parents. Then a tear fell from Mrs. Kim's eyes, “you’re a strong girl. I can see it.” She then went and faced her son. She hugged him tight and whispered something in his ears.

 

“Don’t count the days. Just be with her every second of her life and that will surely feel like eternity.” She kissed him on the cheek after. “Thanks mom.” “Thanks dad.” And off you went back to Seoul.

 

The drive had been awfully quiet. After hours of being on the road, you were finally back in the big city. Minseok stopped the car in front of your house. But before he let you out, he got something out from his bag and told you to stay for a while. He returned, holding a box with his left hand. You turned to face him. And when he opened the box, your mouth fell open seeing the beautiful black pearl necklace inside.

 

“May I?” he asked. And you gave your back to him. You closed your eyes as he was putting the necklace around your neck. You can feel his breathing behind your ears making your face turn red and your heart beat faster. The silver chain and the black pearl pendant fell perfectly on your fair skin. He turned you to face him, your fingers still touching the beautiful pendant. Finally you spoke.

 

“This is beautiful. Thank you.”

 

“It’s just right to give this beautiful necklace to a very beautiful lady.”

 

“I’ll never take this off. I promise,” and you never did, even until you had your last breath.

 

After making sure that you are safe back at your house, Minseok went straight to their dorm. There waiting were his 11 other members and their managers, eager to hear exciting stories from your trip.

 

 

“Woah! Why is everyone gathered here?” Minseok was so surprised to see everyone at once in the living room.

 

“Duh! We’re waiting for you, you idiot!” Luhan said.

 

“So how was the trip? Any exciting stories to tell us?” one of the managers asked.

 

“Yeah, hyung. We got an exciting story. We were in a car accident on our way there!” Everyone stood in surprise and panic.

 

“HOW IS MY CAR?!” the manager who lent the car asked in horror.

 

“Seriously hyung, you asked about how your car was instead of us? Wow. That’s very thoughtful of you.”

 

“THAT CAR HAS NO INSURANCE YET!” The manager started to move forward to strangle Minseok when he was cut off by Yifan and Joonmyun.

 

“Woah hyung chill! Nothing bad happened to your car. I was just kidding about the accident. Sorry. Nothing bad happened to the car or to us. Relax.” Everyone laughed except for that manage.

 

“I would have really strangled you if that was true,” after calming down he finally let out a laugh.

 

“I wouldn’t let that happen in the first place, especially with Jiyeon inside.”

 

“So how was the trip then? Real stories now, ok?” the magnae pleaded. Minseok just gave them vague answers. He didn’t narrate the trip in detail because he wanted to keep those little things to himself.

 

“So no details or whatsoever?” Chanyeol asked in curiosity. Minseok just smiled at them. Then another manager interrupted, “Wait a second. Are you and Jiyeon in some kind of relationship already?”

 

“Maybe?” Everyone pulled him and begged that he tell them everything.

 

“So are you guys boyfriend and girlfriend now?” Tao excitedly asked.

 

“Not really,” all the people inside the room exclaimed, “WHAT?!” in unison.

 

“There’s no clear definition yet on what is this that we have. All I know is that I gave her the necklace and that our feelings are mutual. That’s it. End of story.” Minseok got up and went upstairs to rest for the day. EXO and their managers on the other hand were left confused and dumbfounded with what they just heard from the eldest member.

 

-----

 

The whole family was waiting for you at the living room. When you entered your front door, you were greeted by suspicious smiles and hugs, especially from Subin. “So any interesting things you might want to share with us?” she started the interrogation. And she became even more eager in knowing what happened when she saw you wearing a necklace.

 

“He gave that to you, didn’t he?” you just nodded and smiled. “Omo! So so, you two are together now? Yes?” you shook your head. “WHAT?!” you just smiled. “Then why would he give something like that to you?”

 

“It’s just a gift. Something to remember him by. That’s all.”

 

“Oh no. That’s not what I’m getting here,” pointing to the necklace. “Clearly, both of you feels the same way for each other. Clearly, you two had been on so many dates for the past weeks. And clearly, the two of you wanted to be together. What’s not clear is why you are still in this stage?”

 

“Well it’s pretty clear to the both of us why. We’re already happy the way things are now. We don’t have much time for more complicated stuff. So we’ll settle with this.”

 

“This? Until your last day?”

 

“Yes. This. Until my last day.”