Change of Heart

30 Days

D-16

You felt so different that morning. For some reason, you felt so light and free. It seemed to you like something good is going to happen. You went to your parents’ room to check on your dad but he wasn’t there anymore. You headed downstairs to look for him, and there was your whole family patiently waiting for you to come join them for breakfast. You can’t help but smile seeing that your father was back to his normal state.

 

“How are you feeling dad?” he was quite shocked to hear you talk to him again like nothing’s happened between the two of you. But he was definitely delighted and happy about it too.

 

“Never better my daughter. Thanks for taking care of me earlier today.” You gave your mom and Subin ‘the look’.

 

“I’m very sorry sweetie. I ought to tell him.” You accepted the apology of your mother. Though you actually know deep inside that no matter how many times you made her swear not to tell your father, she will still tell him everything. That’s just how open they are.

 

That breakfast was almost perfect. The dining table was noisy again with all the stories everyone wanted to tell. The mood was happy and everyone was enjoying the meal with a smile. Everything was back to normal, except for the deal.

 

-----

 

Back at EXO’s dorm, their morning also started unexpectedly great because of the text that Minseok received from your father.

 

“Read it out loud!” Sehun excitedly exclaimed.

 

“I will but not until everyone has settled down. Good.” The boys were like kindergarten students listening attentively to Minseok as he read the text message.

 

“Good day Minseok. This is Jiyeon’s father. I may have had a bad impression on you guys for what I did the last time. And with that, I would like to send my sincere apology to you and to the rest. I know how all of you mean so much to my daughter, and I respect that. I should have realized this much earlier though but I believe things happen for a reason. And with that, I would like to invite all 12 of you on my upcoming birthday. I hope everyone would be able to come. And also Minseok, I take back what I said about the deal. If the decision can still be changed, you are free to come and give Jiyeon a surprise visit today. Thank you and I hope you understand and accept my apology. I’m looking forward to meeting all 12 of you again.”

 

The room erupted with cheers after Minseok read the message. Everyone was smiling and high-fiving and planning on what to give for your father on his birthday. Kyungsoo started preparing something for Minseok to bring to your family. Other members helped him make it. Minseok went back to his room to prepare himself. He can’t lie to himself that he was so ecstatic to see you again.

 

And while everyone was busy being happy, Chanyeol woke up feeling grumpy because of the noise downstairs.

 

“Will you please lower your voices down?! Someone is still sleeping! Arghh!”

 

“Chanyeol, Chanyeol, we have great news! “ Baekhyun stopped him from entering their room to sleep again.

 

“Your senses will wake up once you hear it.” Jongdae assured him.

 

“The deal is back! Plus Jiyeon’s dad is inviting us to his birthday. How great is that?” Tao announced the news to Chanyeol.

 

Jongdae was right, the news did wake his senses. But it wasn’t the 1st one that did it, it was the 2nd one.

 

“Her dad?”

 

“Yeah! The man who slammed the door right on our faces before.” Sehun recalled.

 

“Who told you about that news?”

 

“Jiyeon’s dad, himself, texted Minseok this morning. I think he finally got back to his senses.” Joonmyun said and the rest nodded in agreement.

 

Minseok was done preparing and so did Kyungsoo and the other members.

 

“Alright. How do I look guys?” the members gave him a thumbs-up.

 

“You look like you’re going on a date.”

 

“Chanyeol, you’re awake! Can I borrow your hoodie from yesterday?”

 

“Sure. It’s on my bed.” Minseok went to Chanyeol’s room and grabbed the hoodie he’d been dying to borrow from him.

 

“It looks good on you.” Chanyeol complimented.

 

“Minseok-hyung. Here’s the food. Tell them to eat it while it’s hot, ok.”

 

“You’re even bringing the girl’s family food. Wow, you must be serious with this one.” Chanyeol has still no idea where Minseok was going.

 

“I’ll take that as a compliment Yeollie. I’ll leave now.”

 

“Bye hyung! Tell Jiyeon we all miss her.”

 

“I will!” And he was out of their dorm. It was too late for Chanyeol when he realized something.

 

“HE’S GOING TO JIYEON’S NOW?!” He tried to go run after Minseok but the members stopped him from doing so.

 

“Chanyeol, chill! This is their moment. Let it be.” Kris told him.

 

“I JUST NEED TO TAKE THAT JACKET FROM HIM! HE CAN’T WEAR THAT GOING THERE!”

 

“Hey, hey stop! What’s up with you, him and that jacket? Why are you so pushy about it?” Jongdae asked.

 

“YOU GUYS DON’T UNDERSTAND!”

 

“Then explain to us! What happened?” Baekhyun was slowly losing his temper.

 

And Chanyeol told them what he had been doing since the night Jiyeon’s father forbade them to see her again. The members were shocked to know this side of Chanyeol. And in all honesty, they were quite worried about it because it’s getting more and more serious by the day.

 

-----

 

Minseok arrived at your house feeling anxious. He’ll finally see you again after that night they got slammed at by your father. You on the other hand, didn’t know anything about what your dad did. When the doorbell rang, you didn’t want to admit it to yourself but you were expecting the man you saw earlier in the day. You badly want to thank him personally for the change he made possible. You opened your front door and was very much surprised to see the man you least expected wearing the hoodie that the man you were expecting once wore.

 

“Minseok?”

 

“Surprise!”

 

Lots of things were going in your head as you see him standing there in front of your door. Could it be him? How could it be him? Why would it be him? Why would he be awake at that time? Why did he hide from me? How did he encounter dad in such state? Why would he do that to him when dad was mean to them the last time? These were some of the questions that repeatedly crossed your mind.

 

“Jiyeon, why don’t you invite Minseok inside?” your mom told you.

 

“Oh! Yeah. Minseok, come on in.”

 

Your family greeted him warmly. They did miss Minseok too. They asked how he was and the rest of EXO. Minseok then told my parents how badly they felt after what happened. That they felt responsible for it and stuff like that.

 

When your parents and Subin were about to leave for work and school respectively, your dad suggested something that you never thought he would.

 

“Where are you kids heading to today?”

 

“We have no idea. This was a surprise for the both of us.”

 

“Ok then. I have a suggestion to make. There will be a food bazaar later near the park. It opens around 6 in the evening until wee hours. You guys might want to try the foods there. I heard they are delicious and affordable.”

 

“Dad, are you suggesting what I think you’re suggesting? Are you allowing me to go out at night?”

 

“I think I am. Yes, I am!” you hugged your dad so tightly that he almost could not breathe. You kept on thanking him. You’re too happy to even utter other words.

 

“You kids have fun alright. Take care.”

 

“Goodbye dad, mom, Subin!”

 

“Goodbye Mr. and Mrs. Kang, Subin!”

 

*ring ring*

 

“Hello?” while Minseok was talking to their manager, you were there eagerly wanting to ask him about the hoodie he’s wearing.

 

“Hey Jiyeon. Manager-hyung is calling EXO for a meeting. I’ll be back later in the afternoon and pick you up so that we can go to the food bazaar together, is that alright?”

 

“Of course. Sure thing. I’ll probably just walk around first. I kind of missed the outside world. I’ll see you later then.”

 

“See you later.”