The Trip Part 2

30 Days

D-4

 

Unlike in the big city, morning in Minseok’s rural hometown was refreshing and calming. Instead of the loud beeps of public and private transportation, you’ll hear the birds sweetly chirping melodies. Instead of seeing tall buildings blocking your morning sunlight, you’ll see the sun smiling at you saying “have a great and peaceful day ahead”. Instead of smoke greeting you after you step out of your house, you’ll smell the fresh breeze enter your nose and touch your skin. If this is heaven, you definitely wouldn’t want to leave.

 

“Good morning Jiyeon! How was your sleep?” greeted Mrs. Kim.

 

“To my surprise, I was able to sleep right away. Thank you.”

 

At the dining area, you saw how healthy their breakfast is as compared to the almost always instand food you have back at the city. Here, the table was full of fresh greens and fruits with fresh milk and freshly baked bread. You’re happily drowning at the smell of all those freshness.

 

“Take a seat sweetie. I’ll wake up Minseok so that we can all eat together,” you nodded in response. And as she went out of the dining area, Mr. Kim went in and greeted you “good morning” as well.

 

Mrs. Kim entered Minseok’s room quietly. Knowing that her son slept late, she didn’t want to wake him up in an ugly manner. “Son, breakfast is ready. It’s time to wake up,” she said softly in his ears while shaking him lightly. Minseok responded right away. And with his stomach grumbling, he knew he needed to get up already. And so he did.

 

Morning passed by so fast and soon it was time for lunch already. After having your second meal for the day, Minseok offered to tour you around his hometown for the afternoon. You excitedly went out of the house with him. And without hesitating, you circled your arms around his.

 

He first showed you their garden. You thought it was heavenly. With all the vegetation and their colors perfectly harmonizing one another, it was awesome. You couldn’t contain your happiness seeing all the beautiful produce. But your eyes were drawn more on the flowers blooming so wonderfully in their backyard. There were different kinds of them. Minseok’s parents surely did a lot of hardwork to achieve such standard.  “If only I could bring this garden to the city”, you thought to yourself. You were so much in awe that you didn’t notice Minseok wasn’t with you already as you go around the place. And when he returned to your side, he was holding a newly bloomed tulip with his both hands.

 

“A beautiful flower for my beautiful lady,” he said with an inappropriate y voice. You couldn’t help but turn red and smile shyly. You accepted the flower and smelled it. “I am definitely in heaven,” you thought to yourself.

 

After spending a few hours in the garden, you then went to your next destination. Actually, there was no next destination in Minseok’s mind. He just wanted to walk you around and not think of where exactly to go. He wanted it to be like an adventure for the both of you since he hadn’t been home for so long as well. You just went with wherever your feet take you. You were strolling, talking and playing at the same time. You’ve never felt that much freedom in your life. And for a moment you actually thought that you were healed.

 

As the two of you were enjoying each other’s company, Minseok noticed from a distance a very familiar place. He stopped for a moment and just looked at it trying to reminisce on something. Then from the house, a woman, who you thought was about the same age as you and Minseok, came out. Behind her followed a cute little girl who seemed to be 5 years in age. The mother and daughter looked like they were about to go somewhere. Minseok shifted his look from them to you and said, “Rather, let’s go this way.” And he led you to a direction away from the two happy women.

 

It was almost nighttime when the two of you finished the ‘tour’. But before heading back home, you finally got the courage to ask Minseok the one question that has been in your mind since the day you heard his conversation with his other friends over the phone.  

 

“Minseok,” then the two of you stopped on your tracks. “Yeah?” he responded.

 

“There’s something I want to ask you,” with the calm surrounding, you can clearly hear his heart thumping so fast.

 

You continued without waiting for any response from him, “Why didn’t you want to do this in the first place? This whole wish thing of mine, why? Is it because of the time? Is it because it’s too burdensome for you?” You looked at him straight into his eyes. Your eyes started to become teary but you held them in. You saw how burdened Minseok is with your question. And in a snap, you changed your mind.

 

“Haha! You know what, forget what I asked you. It’s not important anymore anyway. What matters most now is that you’re here with me, continuously staying by my side until my last days. Haha. Sorry about that. Let’s go home?” Minseok didn’t speak a word while the two of you were on your way home. It felt very awkward but you still tried to hide yours.

 

A few hours after dinner, you felt asleep right away. But after a few hours, you suddenly woke up and felt thirsty. You went out of your room and was about to head to the kitchen when you saw someone going out from the front door. You were sure it was Minseok.

 

You were so curious as to where he was heading. And so instead of drinking, you went out very quietly and followed him to the garden. You observed from a reasonable distance while hiding behind some plants. You saw him picking a bunch of flowers. Then you realized, they were the same flowers he gave to you that afternoon.  Even under the moonlight, you can clearly see the happiness in his face as he was picking the best of the best among the bloomed ones. “How much he loves the person these flowers are for,” you thought. And how you hope they’re for you.

 

After being satisfied with what he gathered, he walked away and headed somewhere pretty familiar to you. From a distance, you saw the house which you almost passed by where a mother and daughter lived. Your heart started to pound uncontrollably as you saw him walk towards that direction. Could it be what you think it is? Your mind couldn’t think properly anymore with the thought when he changed direction and headed another way. “Maybe I was wrong”, you said to yourself. And you were hoping that you’re right.

 

You continuously followed him until the place he went to made you stop from your tracks. It was the last place you’ll visit at that time of the night. The air brought goosebumps to your skin. The eerie sound made you almost hallucinate. Your heart was about to come out from your ribs and your feet was trying to walk away from the cemetery. But you didn’t know what your mind was thinking because the next thing you knew, you were looking at Minseok while hiding behind a tree. You saw him place the flowers he picked on a grave and just after a minute or so you heard cries coming from where he was sitting. You didn’t know who was the dead person buried under 6 feet on that spot, but what you do know is whoever that is, he or she is surely someone very precious to Minseok.

 

You turned your back and was about to leave in order to give him some privacy when you heard your name being called, “Jiyeon.” You didn’t move and instead waited for a confirmation that you weren’t hallucinating. Then Minseok called your name again, “Jiyeon, stay please.” You turned to face in his direction and started walking towards where he was. You sat beside him and there you saw the name of the person under that grave.

 

“Hug me please,” he pleaded. And without second thoughts, you did what he said. That’s when he cried helplessly until no more tears can fall from his eyes. 

 

 

Please do share your thoughts. :D If you feel like this story deserves an upvote then I'd be honored to receive one. :)) Thank you for patiently waiting for my updates! :D I hope you enjoyed this chapter. :)))