Story of My Life

30 Days

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEP2BB81Uug - Story of My Life by One Direction

 

D - 3

 

It was church day for the Kim family. Mrs. Kim thought that you have no dress to wear to church since Minseok probably didn’t tell you about it and so she lent you a white dress to wear. She knocked on your door a few times but no one answered her. She then opened it on her own and went inside quietly thinking that you’re still asleep. She was surprised to see your bed empty so early in the morning. After leaving the dress in your room, she went to Minseok’s and saw the same thing. She searched the whole house and the backyard shouting, “Minseok! Jiyeon! Where are you?”

 

Minseok suddenly woke up and realized  that the two of you had slept at the cemetery. He saw your head on his shoulders. You were sleeping soundly despite the uncomfortable place and position that you were both in. He woke you up gently and panic struck in you when you realized that there was no roof above and no bed under you. “Did we sleep here?” You still asked even though you knew the answer to it already.

 

Minseok grabbed your hand and pulled you to run, “Mom’s looking for us for sure. We better hurry!”

 

“Huh?” You heard nothing from Minseok while the two of you were running back to the house. You arrived after a few minutes, panting and gasping for breath because of tiredness. When the door was opened, you thought that Mr. and Mrs. Kim will scream at your face and scold the two of you for becoming missing. But instead, you were greeted by worried looks of two parents.

 

“Where have the two of you been?” Mrs. Kim was panicking. “Nevermind. You explain later. But for now, go and wash yourselves. We have a church schedule to catch! Hurry!”

 

You and Minseok went to your respective rooms to bathe and change. After washing up, you noticed a white dress hanging outside the cabinet with a note saying, Wear this. It was a nice cocktail sleeveless dress that has a lace to accentuate the waist. After wearing it, you looked yourself in the mirror and realized how familiar it was to you. The thought of it gave you goosebumps. You went out your room exactly when Minseok was also going out of his. He has his white long sleeves polo tucked-in in his black trousers. He was also wearing a gray bowtie which made him look even more handsome than he already was. Upon seeing him all dressed up, your goosebumps went away and all that you remembered was the memory from the night before.

 

Flashback from night of D-4 –

 

You turned your back and was about to leave in order to give him some privacy when you heard your name being called, “Jiyeon.” You didn’t move and instead waited for a confirmation that you weren’t hallucinating. Then Minseok called your name again, “Jiyeon, stay please.” You turned to face in his direction and started walking towards where he was. You sat beside him and there you saw the name of the person under that grave.

 

“Hug me please,” he pleaded. And without second thoughts, you did what he said. That’s when he cried helplessly until no more tears can fall from his eyes.

 

After crying for who knows how long, Minseok became silent for a moment figuring out how to say the things he’ll be telling you in a while. You sat there, beside him, not knowing what you’re waiting for. All you knew was that you wanted to be with him at that moment, when he was most vulnerable.

 

“Jiyeon,” he finally spoke. “Hmm?” you answered.

 

“You said it didn’t matter to you anymore why I was greatly against in granting your wish,” he finally looked at you after all the crying. Even under the moonlight, you could see how swollen his eyes were from crying.

 

“Well for me, it still matters. It matters that you know the reason behind it. I don’t want to deprive you of the truth, because you’re someone important in my life now,” he continued. Even without receiving a verbal response from you, he knew that you’ll be listening attentively to what he was going to say next.

 

“This grave belongs to my late grandmother. Actually she’s not just a grandmother to me. She was also a best friend, a mentor, and a second mother to me. She was my everything. She was with me when I was born. She took care of me when my parents worked away from here. She was a great singer, the best one in this place at that. She knew how to play the piano and guitar. She tried teaching me those instruments but unfortunately I wasn’t as gifted as her in mastering them when I was still young. The only skills I got from her were singing and also dancing. Everytime I come home from school, I always get excited to finish all my homework because I know that we’ll be having our voice and dance lessons after…” his voice started to crack again because of the forming tears. But still he continued trying to suppress them.

 

“…Everytime I asked for something, she’ll always find a way to give them to me. And on my last year in high school, she asked me what gift I would like to receive when I finish. I told her, I want to go to Seoul and pursue my dream of being a singer. I remember telling her that I wanted to do it not only for myself but also for her because it was her lifelong dream too. But sadly, she couldn’t pursue it anymore and so I wanted to be the one to reach it for her. She told my parents about that wish of mine. At first they were against it saying being in the entertainment industry will only get me scandals and no privacy. It will not do me any good. Plus it will cost us a fortune to go and live there. But she still insisted and offered that she’ll be the one to generate the income that could send me to Seoul and fulfill my dreams. She worked from day and night to save enough for my dream. My parents in the end helped her in saving money for that graduation gift for me. In return, I promised them high grades and I didn’t fail them with that…”

 

“…My graduation day was also my last day with them because the following day was my schedule to go to Seoul in time for the SM Entertainment audition. They would love to come with me but the money saved wasn’t enough for the four us. And so I travelled alone. Under the grace and faithfulness of the Lord, I passed all the necessary auditions. When I started training, I made sure to call them if not every night then every other night. I just need to know that all of them were doing well especially my grandma. In my 4 years of training, I was lucky enough to go back home once or twice at most in a year. Little did I know that while I was in Seoul working my off to fulfill my promise to my grandma, she was suffering from a heart disease back here in my hometown. And when I was informed about her condition, she was already bedridden. I borrowed money from my fellow trainees just so I can go home again. But on the day before I was about to leave, it was announced that I will debut soon in a group. There it was, my dream finally unfolding little by little…”

 

“…But along with that great news is the biggest decision I probably have made in my life. The trainees who will be debuting soon cannot go back home until they debut or else they’ll never get another chance again. I called my parents about it and no matter how much they tried to suppress their tears; I could still feel it in my heart. They wanted me home but at the same time they wanted me to continue with what I’ve started. The decision boiled down to my grandma. She had the final say on what I should do. And being the selfless woman that she is, she asked me to stay and continue and that I shouldn’t be worrying about her because she can take care of herself. No matter how much I wanted to take care of her, I can’t because I made her a promise…”

 

“…During the week of our debut, I was so excited to get it done because it only meant that all of us will get to be with our families again even if it’s just for 2 days. But on April 7, I received the worst phone call of my life. When I picked up my phone, I heard my mom crying on the other end of the line. I also heard my dad crying in the background. But I heard no sound from my grandmother. That’s when it struck me, grandma just died. They didn’t have to say it. Just from the sound of their cries I knew it wasn’t tears of joy. I was so devastated that day that I wanted to flee and leave EXO-M on their own, but then I couldn’t because the only thing I was holding on to at that time was my promise to her. My promise to my grandma that I’ll finish this; I’ll live this dream for her. And no matter how hard it was for me to perform on the 8th of April knowing that my grandma’s lifeless body was the only thing that’s left waiting for me back home, I had to give my best. Even though I wasn’t that close yet with the EXO-M members that time, they were true and kind enough to send their condolences and comfort to me and my family. Luhan even offered to come with me but I told him that a family is also waiting for him back in China and that he should be with them…”

 

“…When I arrived home and saw my grandma’s body in the coffin, I asked myself if this was the exchange for my dream. And it seemed like it was. But you know what relieved me, it was when I saw that she was smiling. From then on I told myself, I’ll continue doing my best in this field I chose. I’ll continue making her proud of me. That is the best way I know that I can repay her for all the things she has done for me. The reason I didn’t want to do this in first place was because I felt guilty. I was not able to be with her during her dying times. And the thought of doing that for someone else whom I didn’t even know back then kills me. It eats me up alive and I’m so mad at myself for feeling that way. But I guess, she knew me better than I knew myself. And she knew what I needed before I knew I needed it. Because here you are still sitting right next to me listening to my long story of how I almost deprived you of this moment because of my selfishness. I’ll understand it if after this you’ll get mad at me or hate me even because…” you kissed him to stop him from talking nonsense about you hating on him after everything he had told you. At that time, it was the only way you can think of in showing him that whatever this is that you have at the moment is something that couldn’t be taken away even by death.

 

End of Flashback –

 

With that last thought in mind, you pursed your lips and smiled to yourself remembering that beautiful moment under the moonlight. Minseok saw you from his side and smiled as well. He held your hand, intertwined his fingers with yours and whispered in your ears one of the lines you hoped of hearing someday from someone special in your life, “Till death do us part.”

 

 

 

Did I make you guys cry??? I'm sorry....Mehehee. But if you didn't cry, well that's ok. Maybe this isn't your kind of senti moment and it's fine. :))) Just so you guys know, I was crying while typing this one though. Aigoo...oh well, this update probably stopped your curiousity as to who is the person under the grave. I hope I didn't disappoint you. Hahaha. And if I ever did, I'm sorry and I promise to make this story better as it comes to its ending. Thank you for continuously reading! Feel free to share your thoughts and give an upvote if you think this story deserves it. :D