First Impression

Home

"M-me?" 

"Yes. I would like to know more about you and let's see if I can hire you and help you" said Jennie.

Help her. She never want anyone to help her. Especially when it's about work. But what choice she have? She know she need this job more than anyone else. 

And why would the interview starts with a question about herself? She never like it. More like she doesn't have the good answer to that question. Everything good about her has long gone in the past.

But she need this job even if she have to be Bae Irene's slave she have to. She have to get that money and pay the debt. Then maybe she can finally free herself from this job and actually search for the job she really want. 

So, what about Kang Seulgi? Who is she? 

"Um...I'm the only child in my family. My parent died long time ago and I live alone up until now. In a small apartment with my best friend here umm....Director Park" 

Seulgi make it clear she felt a bit awkward to call her best friend with her title. Which Joy found it very cute and funny at the same time. But she remain quiet with a smile on her face. 

Joy watching Seulgi. Making sure she say the correct words during this interview. Jennie didn't mind her being here. After all she have something to discuss with Jennie once Seulgi's interview is done. 

Meanwhile, Jennie remain quiet. Not really satisfied with Seulgi's answer but she decide to hear more about her. Because maybe there is something more about Seulgi. 

"I'm not rich. I'm not humble. I'm not kind. I'm just...a woman who is trying to survive in this cruel life. A life my mother gave me...a life where I can't have my own life. Maybe it sound confusing but I was born to live a life where I'm not able to get what I want. To do what I really want. I love arts. I love painting. But...I want something else. But my mother want me to be like her. A legendary artist in our neighborhood. So if you asked about me, my answer is I'm a young woman who was born without a place I could do what I want" 

She's being pessimistic. Something that Joy had told her not to do that. But Seulgi...she can't help but to answer that question with that. She was telling the truth and she cherish honesty. 

It won't be fair to tell Jennie she's a person full of optimistic and positivy. While all her life she was trying to be one yet she ended up being dishonest with her life. Being a fake infront of Yeri but was actually trying to be her role model and motivate her. 

Disappointed? Yes. Because maybe she doesn't belong here from the start. There is no way Jennie would hire her to be the new secretary. Who is she anyway? She just pity herself infront of higher up and infront of Joy. 

Deep down she felt guilty because she just embarrased Joy infront of the CEO secretary. What would Jennie think about her now? She must be mocking her for pitying herself. 

Her thought about the room suddenly feel awkward was only a situation she projected in her own mind. For Jennie she is someone else. She feel the room suddenly brighten up and she can see a certain hope for her best friend.

Kang Seulgi...is the person. Why? Jennie smile to herself but Seulgi misinterprate it. She saw Joohyun in Seulgi the moment she open herself up about her life. 

Joohyun experienced the exact same thing that happened to Seulgi. The only differences between them is Joohyun was born rich and Seulgi don't. Problems between them are the same but the differences are Seulgi was doing what she like but she was hoping more. 

While Joohyun she is doing what she doesn't like and hope to get something less. The two of them are a perfect combination. Seulgi will be perfect to help Joohyun and it goes the same way.

They can complete each other. 

"Jennie-sshi?" called Joy.

"Ah right. I'm sorry. Umm, you're an amazing person Seulgi and I would like to know more about you. So I will stay here until the end of the month. By that time you will be hire here and I would like to train you to become Irene's secretary. Just so you know what is your job desk are "

It took time for Seulgi to process what Jennie said. Did she hear it right? Hire? Wait. Jennie accepting her? How? No. Why? She glance at Joy who make a smile to her. Which is quiet confusing and she need to understand this situation.

"I-I'm sorry but you're going to hire me?" Jennie smile and nodded.

"W-why?" asked Seulgi and Jennie found Seulgi even more interesting yet funny.

"You will understand once you work here and have Bae Irene by your side for almost 24/7. So I hope you are ready for tomorrow's training" said Jennie as she get up from her chair and offer her hand once again for a handshake.

Seulgi and Joy got up from their seat following Jennie. Unlike the first time, Seulgi took her time to shake Jennie's hand. Feeling abit worried, confuse, and unsure. 

She thought that Jennie is crazy. For hiring someone like her and become the new secretary when obviously she didn't know anything about being a secretary....'slave'. 

Also the fact that she just pity herself infront of her and making her look so bad and unwanted, it become quiet weird that she got accepted so fast. Just with one question with long answers that only full of worse thing about her life.

Yet here she is. Standing infront of Jennie with desk separates between them and is about to get her title of being employee back. Something that she wouldn't thought she will get a new job so fast.

A new job in such a big company and under the leadership of Bae Irene. Is this her lucky day? No. No. She hope it's not her lucky day because who knows when will her lucky day next?

Despite saying this is her lucky day, she prefer to say a chance. A chance that God gave her and to start her new life. Yeah. That's much better.

Without hesitating anymore, Seulgi grab Jennie's hand and shake it.

"T-thank you Kim Jennie-sshi. Thank you"

"Your welcome, Kang Seulgi-sshi. Tomorrow we will sign the contract and then you will start training. Oh and I suggest you to wear something comfortable. You look really uncomfortable with that outfit" 

Yes she is. Seulgi noted to herself and nodded.

"Congratulation buddy" said Joy while embrace her shoulder from the side.

"You can go now, Seulgi-sshi. My assistant will help you out and Miss Park I think you have something to discuss with me, I suppose"

"Actually I need to talk with Miss Bae but since she seem abit busy, I'll just send the message to you instead"

"Very well" 

 

The only place that feel less suffocating for her is her office room in the company building. Even she still feel suffocated, she still have Jennie to make her feel less suffocated. 

But it become even more suffocating and annoying once her mother came visit her. Sitting on the sofa which is the place where she usually talking with her guests or her business partnership.

If there is a secret door in her office room, she would run away as fast as she could and be gone. Is the situation really worse? Yes. Everything that related to her family she consider it worse. Very worse.

Maybe she should consider building one though. Like what she always see in movies. Secret room that no one knows and only she knew where is it and have the access to it. 

"Aren't you going to sit here?" asked her mother who is glaring at her from where she is sitting.

To prevent the older woman from getting mad at her, she get herself up from her chair and walk towards the sofa. Sitting right across her mother, staring at her like she is challenging her.

But her mother didn't mind because she is very use with Joohyun's attitude. 

"You didn't pick us up yesterday at the airport. Something you need to learn more"

"I'm busy"

"You always said that"

"Because I am"

"Joohyun! You're father didn't gave you this company to make you forget about what is mean to be a family!"

"I never ask for this! That's the problem"

"Whether you ask for it or not, it is written in your father's will" Joohyun sigh heavily and lean her back to the chair.

"See? That's the problem. I don't want it but because of father's stupid will, I have to" 

The old woman stare at her abit softer this time. But Joohyun has always thought she had lost her mother long time ago. She never received mother's love. All her life has been control by her parent.

They always said a daughter is born to fullfil and support her family. Following what her parent said is what they call as supporting family. Joohyun never agree with that statement.

She want freedom and she want her life back. A life that she is the master of it. The master who control whatever she want and whatever she like. Not this. 

"He did what best for you and for Seungwan. Can't you see that?" 

Joohyun always hates it when her mother brought up the word 'best'. Clearly both of her parent didn't understand what that word mean. 

"I'm busy. Get Jennie to you downstairs" 

She got up from the sofa and walk back to her chair. While her mother remain sitting their until she sigh and gather her things. Does the old woman heart hurt? Yes. But what else she could do?

Joohyun has change and once a daughter become adult, there is no other way for a parent to control them. It is something they should have done back in the days. Taught them about manners. 

But now everything is useless. The only thing the old woman can do is stick to the relationship they have right now. It doesn't matter how hurt it is because if she can still see Joohyun she will do it until the death of her.

Because though she know she has fail as a mother, she still love Joohyun. But getting back her love from Joohyun will feel very impossible and beyond her reach.

What's good is that Joohyun her daughter still willing to accept her visiting in her office. That action is enough to make the old woman happy. Soon the old woman walk out from Joohyun's office room.

Leaving Joohyun sigh heavily and giving her a headache due to her anger that she tried so hard to control. Though she hate her mother, she doesn't want to be a bad daughter for her. Showing no respect to her mother.

She still have respect for her mother even if she is the person who ruin her life. If she show no respect to her mother she wouldn't have wanted to see her right now. 

Not even letting her in to her office room. But she did because even if their conversation will only anger her and ended p fighting with her mother, letting her mother in already told the old woman that she welcome her here.

Only for a conversation that will always end with a fight. Talking about a fight, didn't she have gold schedule with the CEO of Tara Company this weekend? 

 

Coming out from one of the cubicle inside the bathroom, she bring herself towards the sink and wash her hands. What exactly happened in that room? Was she dreaming? No. Why would she?

If she is dreaming she would have wake up by now. Moreover everything feel so real. This cold sink, the building, and everything is real. So, she's not dreaming. 

All of this is real. She can't really stop thinking about how easy it was to get hired here. This is a big company right? Shouldn't they have a team that controls every new employees? Why would Jennie come down herself to take care of this?

There is a lot of unanswer questions inside her mind that she keep it for herself only. She decided to ask Joy later for further explanation. Right now, she's watching herself on the mirror.

Studying her reflection on the mirror and she take note to herself. This whole white outfit doesn't suit her at all but her natural make up is good for her. She will keep doing this natural make up.

Coming out from the bathroom, she walk herself to the elevator and was about to go right when all of a sudden she didn't see someone coming to her way. 

She fall to the ground but she feel the urge to say sorry and pick her things up. 

“Ah! I am so sorry. I wasn’t paying attention. I’m so sorry” said Seulgi kneeling down and gather her things that fell to the ground. 

What weird is even after she said sorry, the person she bumped into remain still. She thought the person would at least help her but maybe because she's in a big company, people tend to be careless and arrogant. Seulgi thought the person was rude and was about yell at the person only to get surprise the moment she see the person she bumped into.

She felt like the whole world moving too fast which making her stumble her way standing up. But a soft grip stopping her from falling. This time she cannot resist to make eye contact with the person infront of her. 

For a moment, she took her time looking at the godness infront of her. What people said was true. She is the daughter of God Aphrodite because her visual is amazing. 

“Watch your step next time” she said simply before walk pass her.

How ironic the moment she praise the girl for her visual the next thing she feel is shivering. Due to the cold tone behind those five words. For a second she forgot what people also said about her. A cold beautiful woman. 

What should she expect? She’s rich and have everything in her hands. That attitude is just a normal thing for someone like her. Seulgi shouldn’t be surprise. That's what people said about her. Cold beautiful young woman.

Yet she have one question. Why Jennie look so happy and felt the need to find the perfect secretary for Irene? No one likes her. Well, people said bad things about her. Seulgi believe those? She's not very sure but isn't that what this world do?

Judging someone else even though you don't even know them. Seulgi never fond about Bae Irene's character. She more focus on how that girl could be a CEO at such a young age and manage to do a very good job with the company under her leadership.

But since she got to witnessed the truth about Bae Irene just now, she is very sure what people said about her is true. Yet why Joy still want to work with her? And Jennie-sshi too? 

Seulgi sigh. Perhaps the world has become weird every year pass by. 

 

“I escorted your mom earlier and she asked me to make a reservation for your dinner family tomorrow night. But before that I already schedule a meeting with our shareholders tomorrow at 10am"

Listening to what Jennie said to her while signing several paper work Jennie gave her. Her mother still trying her best to get close with her when she doesn't want to. 

She sigh heavily before returning the paperwork to Jennie and her eyes focus on the girl. Pleading for help with this situation. 

“Come to dinner with me. You know how I hate dinner time with my mother”

“Sorry, Seul. Your mother made it clear I can’t join the dinner”

“Tsk...cold witch” Jennie smile.

Thinking that Irene have nothing else to say, Jennie was about to leave when Irene speak.

“Who was she?” Asked Irene suddenly preventing Jennie from leaving her. Jennie raise her eyebrow wondering who is Irene referring to and Irene sense that.

“The girl who dress up completely in white outfit which doesn’t really fit her. Who was she?” said Irene and that's when Jennie know who Irene mean.

But since Irene didn't want to look like she care about Jennie answer, she presume on reading the report on her desk and sign some of the paperwork she already agree. 

“Oh! Kang Seulgi. She is your soon secretary”

Like a meteor hitting the earth, Irene put her pen on the table making a loud hitting noises. Jennie isn’t surprise at all because she already expected that.

Pulling her head up facing Jennie with her unreadable face. She’s trying to find a slight hint that Jennie was joking. But sadly she found nothing but a grin on Jennie’s face.

“Her?”

“You got a problem with that?”

Yes. But Irene didn’t dare to say that and she make sure to say the right word. Of course to prevent another fight with Jennie or more like she’s trying to avoid Jennie’s two hours lecturer. 

Looks like Jennie is really passionate and serious about getting out from this company as fast as she could. Because only two days after she accepted her resignation latter, the girl already found her replacement. So mean.

“How old is she?” Asked Irene. A perfect move to please Jennie in this kind of situation.

“26 years old” said Jennie proudly then took the paper Irene had sign as she saw the girl finished and it would be more convenient and practical for her so she doesn't have to get back to Irene's office again and again. 

“Hmm” said Irene making it as her answer trying to sound like she didn't care at all when she obviously is. 

From the way Irene acting right now, Jennie knew she want to talk more but she's afraid of her. What would the world say when they know Bae Irene is afraid of her own best friend and that is Kim Jennie? The daughter of Kim's family and currently will inherit their family company as soon as she step out from Bae's company.

Jennie notice Irene is not satisfied this and of course she still cannot accept the fact that Jennie will soon left this company. The company Irene hate so much yet she’s stuck in it. 

“Just say it” said Jennie which make Irene raising one eyebrow.

“You don’t like her when you don’t even know her!”

“No”

“Yes you are!”

“No I’m not!”

“Stop lying Irene. You know I can read you like an open book”

Despite how much Irene want to argue more to that statement, she sigh. Admitting she lost in this small argument since what Jennie said is true. She is a bad liar.

But it’s not true when Jennie said she didn’t like that girl. What was her name again? Kang....Seu...Kang Sun? Oh! Irene barely could remember her name. It’s not true she didn’t like that girl. More like she didn’t like the fact that someone else will fill Jennie’s spot.

She would never thought Jennie will be gone so soon. Irene may say it like Jennie will leave her forever. While actually Jennie will remain in Korea for three month to take care of her family company that has been inherit to her since she was born and then do her pre wedding photos before she and Lisa finally fly to America and hold their marriage there.

After that both of them will make sure to go back to Korea once a year or twice a year depend on the situation.

But that wasn’t enough. Not seeing Jennie everyday in the office would be very hard for Irene. It was just like coming back home. Big yet only one person live there. While the maids only attend in the morning until the evening at 5pm.

They prepare dinner for Irene which sometimes she prefer not to eat because sometimes she would come home late and too lazy to eat. 

Coming to the office without Jennie in it would pretty much feel like home. Empty, quiet, and lonely. Her home is enough to feel that. She doesn’t want her office to become one. Even if she hate her office, it is a lot better than her house. Because Jennie would always be there. But imagining the office without Jennie in it....a ing disaster.

“No. It’s not true” Irene said but Jennie didn’t say anything. From the way Irene said it, Jennie knew Irene was being honest and sincere.

“I hate you more”

Jennie thought it’s going to be a serious conversation. Considering how Irene still cannot accept the fact she will leave soon. But seeing Irene making jokes like that only make them laugh.

It’s been awhile since Jennie saw Irene smile so widely like that. This past few years has been very busy for her. All she do is working and working. Sometimes she would only get two hours of sleep but Irene never complain. It is her way to torture her body and her mind. 

Jennie care for Irene yet she have no power to stop her from over working. What she can do is remind her and take care of her. Though it’s quiet exhausting but Irene is just a mess and she need someone to be there for her. But the girl depend herself on her so much which make her stop opening herself to the world.

She can’t hide the fact that she’s worried too. How will Irene do once she left the company? Will she be alright? Will Seulgi help her? Because with words spread among the people, no one knows the real Bae Irene. She is way more kind thag what people said about her. Jennie scared if Seulgi think the same and treat Irene merely just Boss and Employees. Meanwhile what Irene need is friend. A friend that could acompany her at the office. Making her feel less lonely. 

She just hope Seulgi would treat Irene just like how she treat her. Also whatever thought she have about Irene will soon change once she work with her.

“I’ll be going then. Don’t forget to check the meeting agenda I sent you” Irene nodded and give Jennie a sign to get out.