Honest

Home

Irene came back to Kim's house right when it's time for dinner. Mrs. Kim already busy in the kitchen while Mr. Kim sitting on the sofa watching television. 

"You're back! Wash up first before dinner, alright?" said Mrs. Kim as soon as she saw Irene.

"Ne"

Perhaps she should really say the truth about their daughter's death. Maybe after dinner? Or during dinner? Ah. Irene always having difficult when it's about picking the right time.

Usually she has Jennie or Seulgi to handle it. Maybe after dinner would be perfect. She doesn't want to ruin the dinner. Mrs. Kim cooking need to be enjoy and cherish while it last.

Because she always made delicious food when she came to visit. And so she get herself ready to wash herself before the dinner. Already expecting the delicious food made by Mrs. Kim.

15 minutes later, Irene is ready with her casual outfit. Looking like she's ready to get back to Seoul. Which kind a weird but she was just getting ready. If Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim cannot accept the truth, they would probably kick her out from their house.

Not wanting to see her face ever again because she is the killer of their daughter. A monster and they wouldn't want a monster living in their house, right?

As she walk to the dining room which they never had before but now they have, with proper dining table and chairs and lightning above them, Irene can't hide but to smile.

She so proud how well they manage the money they earn. Maybe she should told them the truth of where that money came from for real. It's time for her to face the reality and be honest to herself and to other people.

"Kimchi Jigae sounds delicious right? I made a seaweed soup too because you like it. Also, it's quiet cold these day so have something to warm yourself" said Mrs. Kim happily.

"Ah, you don't need to cooked this much, mom" 

"Eyy! I'm happy to cook for you. It's been awhile since you came so don't hesitate to eat alot, okay?" Irene smile.

Perhaps that is her very first time smiling so wide and sincere. Maybe she done it before with Seulgi but this time her smile is more...genuine. A smile she used to make in the past.

A smile where Jisoo always love to see.

"Come on. Let's eat" said Mr. Kim.

Throughout the dinner, Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim ask Irene a lot about Seoul. Irene gladly talk about her business too as well. How the company quiet busy for the past few years.

Her achievement and mostly she talk about how Seoul really crowded with people now. Since a lot of tourist came and wanted to experience the K-pop thing which Irene never put much interest on it.

Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim also talk about how their hometown has expand their land. It is a lot bigger than before and many citizen from Seoul move to their hometown.

Said they want to have more decent and quiet life outside Seoul. So, basically some of their neighbors are from Seoul and they usually held dinner gatherting once a month.

Which actually fun and very kind of them. Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim felt less lonely because of their new neighbors. Irene is glad to hear that from them. 

Once they finish eating the dinner, Irene insisted to wash the dishes by herself. Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim done enough to serve her and she want them to relax and rest a bit.

Well, Mrs. Kim as usual rejected Irene's offer but Irene doesn't back away quickly. At the end, Mrs. Kim gave up and let Irene wash the dishes. Irene smile in victory and grinning which earn a soft smack on her head from Mrs. Kim.

She said, "You naughty guest!"

Nothing seems to change even after years had pass. 

As soon as she finished washing the dishes, she went to the living room only to see Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim having fun watching movie. She smile from the kitchen.

Jisoo would smile with her too if she is here with her. Her dream was to let her parent live a decent life. Make them enjoy their old days without needing to worry about money.

Perhaps she unable to give them that when she was alive and Irene did her a favor. Look at them now. Having fun in their old days but something is missing.

And that part was because of her. If only...

"Why just stand there? Come sit with us, Hyun!" called Mrs. Kim.

Maybe this is the time. She can't hold any longer. They deserve the real truth of their daughter's death. Instead of sitting with them, Irene walk closer to where they are and kneel right infront of her.

Of course Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim look very confuse and surprise. Why the hell she's kneeling infront of them?

Irene can't have her eyes stare at Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim. Even when they told her to get up and keep asking why the hell she kneel down, she can't get herself to speak.

The guilt and sorry and sorrow eating her alive right now. 

"Bae Joohyun, what do you think you're doing? Get up now!" said Mrs. Kim.

"Are you trying to find something under the sofa?" asked Mr. Kim which earn a smack on his shoulder from his wife.

"Mrs. Kim. Mr. Kim...please forgive me for what I have wrong" said Irene.

"Did you do anything wrong? I never remember you did anything wrong to us, Joohyun" said Mrs. Kim.

Of course they can't remember. More like they never know because Irene had been hiding the whole truth from them for years. Realizing how awful she has been to them, make her even more guilty.

Tears start to fall down and she sniffle as she can't no longer take the pain and guilt inside her. How can she lie to them all these years? The reason is because she's afraid.

She's afraid they will no longer welcome her warmly. Probably because she's afraid she will lose people she love again. Other than Jisoo, Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim are consider as her own parent.

They treat her like their real daughter too and they has always been nice towards her. Even when Irene came from weatlhy family they never felt intimidated by her presence.

Because Irene respect them very much. Never once look down on them and treat them equally like other parent. Shortly, they taught her many things about love.

Irene respect them so much more than her own mother. She felt sorry for lying to them about the whole truth of their daughter death. If they happen to kick her out...she understand their decision fully.

She's ready to lose people she love...again. Because eventually all these thing happen because of her and so she need to take responsible for all of this.

"Jisoo...."

"What about Jisoo, Hyun?" asked Mr. Kim.

"I...I killed her" 

Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim stare at each other confusely with the sudden fact and confession from Irene. Of course they could never believe what Irene told them.

They alway sknow Irene is a good woman and she love Jisoo so much. There is no way she able to do that. They saw how she treated Jisoo back then. So warm and lovingly.

How could Irene told them she killed her? There is no way. They know both young woman barely survive without each other back in the past.

So obviously Irene is talking nonsence right now.

"Joohyun. What are you saying, honey?" asked Mrs. Kim trying to understand what Irene was saying.

"I-I killed her" said Irene once again.

"Please elaborate with us, Joohyun. There is no way you killed her, okay? She died in a car accident" said Mrs. Kim

"Joohyun. Look at us in the eye and tell us the truth" said Mr. Kim sound a bit demanding like fatherly.

Despite how much she want to avoid their gaze, what Mr. Kim said he gets it. With all the courage she has, Irene bring her eyes to look at both elderly.

Eyes are teary and red at the same time. Can't hide how sad and guilty she is with everything she had done.

"Talk to us, Joohyun" said Mrs. Kim.

"I...I....t-that day I was purposing her but...things gone wrong. Not...the way I expected to happened" said Irene start to explain the scenario. She did told them she's going to purpose to Jisoo.

They also hope the proposal went well and wished Irene good luck. But they never thought it gone wrong and that day...the day when Jisoo died was the day Irene proposed to her.

"We-we were arguing. Things gone wrong and...I tried to chase her cross the street. But...but...but I was being clumsy. I-I...should have been more careful that day. If...if only I-I...Mrs. Kim, Mr. Kim...I'm sorry. I truly am sorry" said Irene no longer can't take the tears and pain inside her.

It seems Mrs. Kim and Mr. Kim doesn't need to hear the whole story in details because they know why Irene acted like this. Are they mad? Are they disappointed? Are they going to sue Irene for killing their only daughter?

The answer is...

"Look at me, Bae Joohyun" said Mr. Kim as he kneel down infront of Irene. 

Irene who cannot bear the pain and guilty inside her can't seem to bring her eyes staring at Mr. Kim. She felt disgusting at herself for not able to tell the whole story properly.

And for not telling them the truth long time ago.

"Bae Joohyun. Look at me and be the strong young woman I know" said Mr. Kim again.

With all the courage she has left, she bring her eyes to stare at Mr. Kim who surprisingly look so warm and full of love. Even though she can see slight sadness in the corner of Mr. Kim eyes, the old man remain strong.

Mr. Kim hold Joohyun's shoulder firmly before he pulled her into a hug. A very surprising action from Mr. Kim and something she never expect to happen. What is this?

"You're sad young woman! How can you blame yourself for that?! Do you know what Kim Jisoo will say to you now?"

"Ma-maud-"

"Maudlin young woman!" said Mr. Kim finishing what Irene want to say. 

As the old man let go of the hug, he wipe the tears from Irene's cheek and breathe out.

"Jisoo did what she need to do. Don't blame yourself for her own decision. I'm proud of my two beloved daughters. One was brave enough to protect her love one and one is strong enough that she manage to stand strongly until this day. I'm proud of you, Bae Joohyun" said Mr. Kim.

Which was very surprising and never once Irene expected this to happen. She thought Mr. Kim will kick her out instantly but seems like it will never happen.

How can they...how can they are so nice to her? When she just confessed she killed their daughter? Why is this family so warm and lovely? Irene can't never understand that.

Now it's Mrs. Kim turn to kneel down beside her husband. She's crying just like Irene but she manage to smile at her. 

"M-Mrs. Kim. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry" said Irene as she come to Mrs. Kim hug.

"No. No. Joohyun you did nothing wrong. Jisoo did what she think was right. And perhaps that was really her time to go" said Mrs. Kim.

Why both of them sound so optimistic and positive? So...all this time...Irene is wrong. Her overthinking was eating her alive and actually none of it are necessary.

Is this for real? Wait. Why does it feel alot more light? Is this what it feels like to finally let out the truth?

"Mrs. Kim. Mr. Kim, why...why are you two sound so positive?"

"Because we accepted the truth, Joohyun. It's true. Jisoo left us in such early age. But you can't never prevent whatever God has planned for us. You just need to accept it and move on with life" said Mr. Kim.

She let go of the hug and wipe the tears.

Accept the truth. Move on. Those are what Jennie said to her and what Jisoo told her. Is she the only person who stuck in the past? All this time when she's avoiding the truth, other people are trying to move on.

So...all this time she was left behind.

"We know you love Jisoo so much, Hyun. But she need some peace too and perhaps she's more happier up there. That's why...we tried to accept the truth and move on with life. Our daughter wouldn't want us to stuck in the past" said Mrs. Kim.

That's...true. Jisoo confirmed it with her. So does it mean she need to move on too?

"We will pretend we never hear this, okay? What you need to do now is to move on, Joohyun. Live your life happily and don't forget to give us update about your life. You are and will always be our daughter, okay?" said Mrs. Kim.

Irene can't believe this whole thing is happening. The thought they might never accept her again runs through her mind every year. But once she blurted out the truth, what she get was beyond her expectation.

Is this for real?

"Mrs. Kim. Mr. Kim"

"Mom and dad! How many time should I tell you that, you punk?" said Mr. Kim.

When she cried and let out sad tears, somehow it change. Now it seems like she's crying for happiness. Why? Because she's glad that she has no need to worry about letting go people she love the most.

Perhaps this is what people called as remission and the beginning to move on. So this is the start then. What's next will happen tomorrow. Once she's back to Seoul, she know she will deal with the reality.

And this is what she need. The answer to her miserable life. It's time to change. Irene cannot hide the smile on her face as she finally successed on finding the answer she need.

She pull them together and hug them equally. She can't hide how thankful she is to meet them. Can't be anymore thankful that God led her to these beautiful and warm people.

All because of Kim Jisoo.

"Thank you. Thank you mom, dad" 

"It's time for you to let go, Joohyun. It's time" said Mr. Kim.

 

"Make sure you don't skip meals, okay? I remember you would always skip meal because of your busy schedule!" said Mrs. Kim scolding Irene. 

"Yes, mom. I will" said Irene with a smile on her face.

"Don't forget to visit us sometimes. Update us too, okay?" said Mr. Kim.

"Ne! I saved your number already" said Irene sound so childish like she used to be in the past.

Mr. Kim can only smile.

"Be careful on the road, okay? Call us when you're in Seoul" said Mrs. Kim as she hug Irene.

Irene nodded.

"I will. Thank you for everything. I'll make sure to visit you guys again soon"

"By soon you mean once a month, okay? Not once a year!" said Mr. Kim.

"Ne abeoji. I'll go now" said Irene as she get inside her car and turn the engine on.

She bide goodbye to the elderly and leave the town with light heart. It felt very different. She came here with heavy heart and so much guilt collected inside her heart.

But now everything seems so bright and light. Like she finally out of prison. A prison she built for her own. Finally. The burden on her shoulder lift up and the only thing now she need to think is about her secretary.

Of course she still remember. What is her decision? Should she accept Seulgi's resignation letter? Why does it seems very familiar? Oh right!

It was like when Jennie asked to resign. The only differences was that back then she felt like she's unable to let Jennie go. But now...it seems easy. Only that she's afraid if she won't get to see the young woman again.

Perhaps what they need right now is time for each other. Seulgi said someone want to be her sponsorship. Which actually a good opportunity for her to begin again.

After all, she never belong in her office. She's an artist. Artist need freedom. And freedom is what Irene going to give to Seulgi. She only hope this is the best decision she ever made other than business stuff of course.

Also, she, herself need something finish. Something about her need to be fix and also about her relationship with her mother and her sister. Sure she need to fly all the way to the other side of the world.

This is what people call the progress to moving on. And she will take it slowly and slowly. First, she need to deal with her secretary.

 

"Good morning, Bogum-sshi" Seulgi greet Bogum in the lobby.

Like any other day, she came to the office right before Miss Bae arrive even when she's not coming to the office. Joy went to the office before her because she said she has something to do.

It's 08.00 and she have half minute to prepare Miss Bae schedule as the young CEO told her she's coming to the office today. Everything seems fine like usual until she arrive in the 20th floor.

When she said everything was fine perhaps it was just her imagination. The moment the elevator doors open, the security in that floor looked at her with widened eyes.

Giving her a sign with his hand slice through his neck. It means she dead. Wait. What's happening? She decided to walk towards her office room when suddenly she meet Joy in the hallway.

Of course it's very surprising because Joy know she always came to the office five minute before eight. Joy wouldn't be here if Seulgi isn't in the office yet.

So why is she here?

"Ya, what are you doing in here?" asked Seulgi completely unknown with the whole situation.

"You're a dead meat, Kang Seulgi" said Joy.

"What? Wae? Wae? Wae?! What happened?" asked Seulgi completely anxious right now.

"Miss Bae is here already!" said Joy.

That truth...no. That fact compeletely scared the hell out of Seulgi. She imidietly run towards her office, putting her things there and get everything she need.

She's not late right? She arrived at the office five minutes before eight in the morning! How can Miss Bae already in the office before her? Oh gosh. She's completely dead!

Before knocking the door to Miss Bae office, she take a deep breathe and try to contain her anxious. She need to calm down and make some reason why she's late at work.

Truth is she's not late to work. Miss Bae came early without any notice! So, it's not her fault actually. But how can she said that to her own boss? 

Knock knock

"Come in" said Miss Bae from inside.

Seulgi open the door and walk rushingly to where Miss Bae is. Miss Bae is standing by the wide window inside her office. Giving Seulgi the side of her back.

It's odd how Seulgi see a slight changes on Miss Bae. She look...different in some aspect. Weird. Where did Miss Bae go for the pass three days anyway?

Before she could say anything, she bow to Miss Bae. Greeting also apologizing at the same time.

"Good morning, Miss Bae. I'm sorry for coming here late" said Seulgi.

Instead of hearing Miss Bae cold tone like what she has been hearing for the pass few weeks after that accident, Seulgi was surprise to see Miss Bae turned around and look at her with a smile on her face.

Smile. A very wide smile and warm. Something she rarely get the chance to see it. Did Miss Bae hit her head somewhere? Did she met someone that suddenly changed her?

This is completely weird and scary at the same time.

Perhaps that's why Seulgi see differences on Miss Bae appearance. She look more relax, calm, and warm. Different from before.

"Good morning, Seulgi. It's okay. I came here early because I want to and I didn't tell you about it. So, it's not your fault" said Miss Bae.

Wow. How can three days away from Seoul changed Miss Bae alot? Where did she go really? Seulgi kind a curious about it. 

Miss Bae walk back to her desk and sit on her own chair while looking through her Ipad. Seulgi was about to tell Miss Bae her schedule for today and some update while she was gone.

But Miss Bae cut her before that. Surprisingly, Miss Bae still remember her favor the day before she left Seoul. Seulgi thought Miss Bae will try to avoid it until she beg at her multiple times.

"About your resignation letter. I had read it and it's really a good opportunity you got out there. You really need to embrace it. Perhaps you will be able to reach your dream, Seulgi" said Miss Bae.

Wait. She's calling her with her own name. She's not calling her formally. Okay. Miss Bae really weird and confusing.

So...does this mean she accept her resignation letter? For real? Well...that's easy? But why does it feel so sad at the same time? Thought that Miss Bae will give a lot of thought about it.

Maybe Seulgi put too much hope on Miss Bae. Perhaps she was hoping that Miss Bae consider her resignation letter all over again. Honestly she doesn't want to leave this place.

And hoping that Miss Bae able to hold her abit longer and perhaps not wanting to let her go. But she was wrong. 

"So...does it mean you..." Miss Bae smile.

"I accepted your resignation letter, Seulgi" 

How come Seulgi is not satisfied with Miss Bae answer? How come it feels like Miss Bae want her to go right away?

"Why..."

"Since the beginning, you don't belong here, Seulgi. You're an artist. You should embrace your ability and reach your dream out there. Not here"

But before Seulgi could argue more, Miss Bae cut her...again.

"And also about your offered to me...I need time, Seulgi"

Time? Wait. Which offer? Seulgi offered a lot of things to Miss Bae. So which one of it? Perhaps, Miss Bae notice the confusion on Seulgi's face. She chuckle at herself for forgetting how slow Seulgi is.

"You told me to let you take care of me and that you love me" 

Ah...that one. She never thought Miss Bae would remember that. What is Miss Bae trying to say?

"I need time...for myself. To...fix what need to be fix. Maybe you heard something about me and that is true. My life is miserable and to...let someone in...I need time. I have unfinish business and it goes the same way with you"

Perhaps, this is her very first time listening to Miss Bae honest thought. Honestly, this is what she want from Miss Bae. To open herself and be honest and trust her.

Instead of feeling unwanted and being push away, she feel the need to listen more of what Miss Bae will say next.

"You and I...we both have unfinish business, Seulgi. And I want to finish it all first before I start over. You have good opportunity infront of you and no need to hold back. While I also have something to finish with my mother and Wendy. See? We have unfinish business and that's why I think we both need to finish it first"

Is it true? They both have unfinish business? So...this mean...Miss Bae willing to try? But before they able to do that, they need to finish what they can't finish in the past.

Where is the Miss Bae before today? This doesn't sound like the old Miss Bae. Did Miss Bae reborn after three days away from Seoul?

"Miss Bae.."

Does this mean...Miss Bae is trying to fix herself in order to...let her in? While doing that, both parties need to be in their separate ways.  

Miss Bae get up from her chair and smile proudly at Seulgi. She reach her hand out, offering a handshake with Seulgi. Meanwhile the monolid girl seems abit lost.

What is Miss Bae trying to say to Seulgi?

She is saying that you can finally be selfish, Kang Seulgi. Embrace your dream and keep your promise to Miss Bae. Both of you need time for each other and finish what you both can't in the past.

Miss Bae is telling you she's giving you two time. To fix what need to be fix. To finish what need to be finish. To learn what need to learn. And just to figure out what need to be figure out. 

When you both finally achieve those, let destiny work on both of you. Perhaps one day you two will meet again after fixing what need to be fix in both life. 

That's...

That's what Miss Bae is trying to tell you.

Seulgi reach out for Miss Bae hand and shake it. Perhaps this is the new beginning for both parties. Will they meet again soon?

"Thank you for your hard work, Kang Seulgi. You've been a great secretary for the past three months" said Miss Bae.

Wow. This sound so formal.

"Thank you, Miss Bae. For everything you taught to me"

Seriously. She should be the one who said thank you to Seulgi. But Seulgi always be the kind and warm heart young woman, can't skip what people call as manner.

As they pull their hands, Irene smile. Though deep down she still felt so hard to let Seulgi go. To finally grant Seulgi wish to be free...like what Jennie asked her to and what Mrs. Kim, Mr. Kim asked her to.

But what's need to be done, need to be done. This is her way to move one and finally learn how to let someone in. To finally accepting the whole truth.

Despite how hard it is for her, she need to do this. For her own sake and for Seulgi. After all, they both have unfinish business they need to handle. Perhaps after that, destiny will bring them both together.

But who knows? Who can predict the future? No one. They just need to have faith in each other and trust. For the last time, Seulgi bow to Miss Bae 90 degrees.

Show full respect towards the young CEO. To tell the truth, she learnt alot for being Miss Bae secretary. It is an honor and also a rare opportunity for her. For the last time too, she smile at Miss Bae and perhaps this will be her last time seeing Miss Bae.

This will be their last time seeing each other because Irene will be in Canada for one month. Fixing what needs to be fix between her and her mother. While Seulgi will stay in South Korea for a few months.

Painting and painting. Probably meeting new people and entertain people with her painting. A new starts for both of them. While they are busy, Seulgi can make sure she will never forget to monitor Miss Bae's activity.

She promise the CEO she will stay by her side and always wait for her. Before Seulgi could leave the office, Miss Bae call for her.

"Kang Seulgi"

Which make her stop from walking. She turn around only to see Miss Bae staring at her with intense and a little bit sad eyes. Seems like the loving and warm Miss Bae has always been there.

But she was too shy to show it. Or maybe she was trying to protect herself from getting hurt...again.

"Will you wait for me?" asked Miss Bae.

And the answer is,

 

 

"I will"

 

It sounds like it's the end. Honestly it's not, okay? But I made it like it's really the end. Lol. I don't know how but I just love how I write this chapter. I put lot of care while writing this story. Hoping it will catch the emotion. Sad, sorrow. But there is also a sense of relieve and happiness. Hehe...hope you guys like this one. Just to remind you guys again, THIS IS NOT THE END. I REPEAT THIS IS NOT THE END. Just the way I wrote it sounds like it's really the end. Relax everyone. We haven't seen the clingy Miss Bae and the childish Kang Seulgi. So please wait. It will get more exciting and cheesy. Fluffy Seulrene to the rescue! Bye! Stay safe!