New Beginning and Remission

Home

"Are you really sure?"

"Come on, Seul. Are you going to back away now?"

"I don't know. I just...I-"

"You're doubting yourself. Don't worry, Seul. My friend have a good eyes. She can know whether your painting worth her money or not"

That is exactly what Seulgi worried about. It's been like how many months? Three? Four? Maybe five since the last time she actually paint. The last painting she made was a rough sketch.

When Wendy told her this friend of her wanted to see her this Friday, Seulgi never thought she would spent her whole night to change the rough sketch to a beautiful painting.

She's scared if her painting unable to satisfied Wendy's friend because apparently, she know this is a very rare opportunity. Perhaps she won't be able to get second chance for this.

She should have been careful when she painted the painting. But she was too...overwhelmed and in a complete rushed. So...she kind a unsatisfied with her work.

Eventually, despite how much she want to back off, she can't. Because she's with Bae Wendy....She literally picked her up at her apartment early in the morning.

Said they should grabbed breakfast together which eventually they did. Then they went to another cafe in Myeongdong. The place where they will meet Wendy's friend.

She said she'll be arrive in 20 minutes and it felt like one god damn hour. Seulgi is very nervous. Been swinging her leg without her realizing it. While Wendy just play by her phone while waiting for her friend.

"Wendy! I'm sorry for being five minutes late. Have you waited too long?"

"Sejeong! Glad that you're finally here. No. I just arrived ten minutes ago"

The two friend hugged each other happily like actual best friends. Meanwhile, Seulgi also stand up beside Wendy feeling even more nervous than before.

Kim Sejeong. Seriously? She didn't know she will be meeting with Kim Sejeong! The most famous Korean artist that has her painting all over the world already.

She can't believe Wendy is friend with her too. Oh my god. This is bad, thought Seulgi.

Once they finish their reunion, Sejeong finally lays her eyes to Seulgi. A smile...a very warm smile appear on Sejeong face. Seulgi get even more nervous because Kim Sejeong actually look more pretty than on tv.

"Is this the Kang Seulgi you're introducing to me?" asked Sejeong.

"Yes. Seulgi this is Kim Sejeong. You probably know her" Seulgi initiative for hand shake and Sejeong gladly accepted her hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Kim Sejeong-sshi. I'm Kang Seulgi and also your biggest fan"

Sejeong looked completely satisfied with Seulgis' greeting. She seems surprise though when Seulgi said she's her biggest fan. Why would she be surprise though?

"You heard that, Wendy? She's my biggest fan and how come you are not?" asked Sejeong and Wendy just shake her head.

"Are we going to talk about it again? Please, we're not here to talk about me not being your biggest fan" Sejeong laugh. Apparently, Bae Wendy also have some sense of humors.

"Always avoiding the question. Anyway, I heard you have your painting. Can I see it?" 

 

Seulgi never expected to receive Sejeong call that exact night. Honestly, she can't remember if she gave her number to Sejeong. But anyways, it's not important. What important is that why Sejeong called her that day on Friday night.

Right after she got home from work. She was taking a bath and was about to have dinner with Joy when suddenly her phone rang. Of course she didn't know who that was because her screen show unknown number.

Nevertheless, she answer the call and to her surprise it was Kim Sejeong. What an honor for her to get a direct call from the famous artist, Kim Sejeong.

"Hello? Who is this?"

"Hi, Seulgi-sshi. I'm Kim Sejeong. You remember me, right?"

Of course she remember her! They obviously just met hours ago.

"Yes, yes. Of course. H-how is your evening?"

"Great, actually! Thank you for asking. Anyway, I'm sorry for calling you at this hour and I kind a asked your number Wendy earlier because I forgot to ask you earlier...if that's okay?"

"Well, yes of course"

You should seen Seulgi's face that night. She was damn nervous. Shortly, she was drown with her own sweat. Like...who won't get nervous when you receive a call from someone you adore? 

No. From your own role model?

"I just go straight to the point, alright? Since I don't want to disturb your evening. So, after a lot of thought and discussion with my team, I really want to see more of your paintings, Seulgi-sshi and perhaps I can be your sponsorship. Look, I have an upcoming art exhibition in two months and I was hoping if you could give me some of your paintings and put them in my art exhibition? If someone buy your painting, I  gladly let you have all the money. Clean"

Wait...what? 

"You probably shock by now. Haha...but Seulgi-sshi. Personally, I like your painting. It was unique and mysterious at the same time. Perhaps we can hung up the painting you gave me this morning because honestly it was amazing. The colors, the gradiation, the value, everything is great! So, are you in?"

Are you in? Seriously! Is that even a question? Of course she is! But then Miss Bae came in to the picture. What will Miss Bae be without her by her side? Will she able to survive?

What was she thinking? Of course Miss Bae can. But the promises. Her promises to Miss Bae...

"Be selfish for once, Seulgi"

That's what Wendy said to her. Be selfish. After all, this is what she want from long time ago right? Just a little more she able to pay her mother's debt and after that she's free. 

Being an artist...it may not what she dream before but she always knew she has the potential. It just that life...make it so hard for her to paint. Her mood always get in her way.

With this golden opportunity infront of her...would she want to drop it? Just like that? For what? For who? Miss Bae? She loeve Miss Bae but...maybe Wendy is right.

Maybe she should really become selfish sometimes. After all, Wendy promise her she will help her fix her relationship with Miss Bae and help her with her mother's dream.

Perhaps this is the time where she try to make her mother proud. Even when her mother unable to be here beside her...at least she can see from above. 

"I'm in"

Did Seulgi regret her decision? Oddly, she felt nothing after that. She felt like this is a new beginning for her. Opportunity she has been waiting since long time ago.

The purposed was to make her mother proud before she die but Seulgi was too late. Sometimes, life is weird. When we're late for something, we get scolded, yet at the same time late can mean something good.

For once in her life time, she's being selfish. What does it feel like, Seulgi? To finally make a decision for yourself and not for other people? 

Good. But at the same time she also still have slightly unsure. Hesitate whether this is right. On Friday evening, Seulgi didn't went straight to her apartment.

She went out for another dinner with Wendy and that's where Wendy made her felt sure that this is the best decision she ever made. Again Wendy also promise her that she will help Seulgi fix her relationship with Miss Bae.

But in order to do that, Seulgi can't approach Miss Bae physical and perhaps it's better if she's busy with her own stuff rather than thinking about Miss Bae.

At first, Seulgi against the idea but Wendy made sure this is the only way to make Miss Bae realized her feeling to Seulgi. Eventually, she will do anything she could to bring Seulgi back.

That's the best scenario but worse, Miss Bae may act like nothing happen and pursue with her own life. But Wendy make sure that it won't be too long. They will meet again soon.

If destiny works for them, destiny will bring them back together. Sooner or later. That doesn't matter. What matter right now is Seulgi focusing with her new job and enjoy her life. 

For Miss Bae, Wendy wanted to make sure the young woman face her past and deal with it before she finally reach Seulgi out. Seulgi has had try her best and this time Miss Bae should make a move.

Not Seulgi. Seulgi done a lot in the past, for her mother and now for Miss Bae. It's time for Seulgi to finally be selfish once in her life time. To actually explore herself and make decision for herself.

Hopefully, Wendy's plan will work. 

And so the next day, with still have slight heavy heart, Seulgi came to the office with perfectly sealed white envelope with her resignation letter inside. 

When she saw Miss Bae in the office lobby, she whisper to herself as a support.

"To the new beginning of my life"

 

Irene turn her phone facing her mother and Wendy. Showing them the timer Irene had set before. She set 15 minutes timer just like Wendy said. They are sitting in the dining room and damn Irene is damn strict with time.

Something her mother never notice until now. Probably because she’s a business woman and time is very value for her. But seriously? Does she really need to be strict? She’s talking with her mother right now for god sake.

Nevertheless, if this the only way for them to talk with Irene, then let it be. They won’t be too long anyway. They have flight to catch up.

“So?” Asked Irene.

To be honest, Irene is quiet nervous on what they want to say. Why? Maybe because she let them talk. Or specifically she let her mother talk to her.

When usually she would never let the old woman talk. Despite how much she begged her, Irene would never let her mother talk more than five minute. Then why she let her talk for 15 minutes now?

What does Irene want to hear from her mother? Obviously she won’t ever accepted the old woman apologize. But then what does she want?

“When you became the CEO, do you realize the company develop and expand into a better company all because of you?”

“Yes. That’s correct...where is this going?” 

“That is true when me and your father controlled your life but since you became the CEO, I lost control. No. I had no intetion to control your life”

“You inherited me the company is controlling my life!” Said Irene almost yelling.

Wendy give her a sign to calm down which surprisingly, Irene obey. The younger woman give a sign to the old woman to continue what she was trying to say. 

“Me and your father were wrong in the past. We admit it. Inherited the company to you was one of our decision because honestly for two years after our marriage, we unable to have kids. We've tried multiple times but we failed. The fourth year we tried again and surprisingly the result came out good. Then you were born and we thought you're a miracle God sent us that's why we want to give you everything we have, everything we value. Only that, on the process of giving you that we...did wrong things. Yes. Because we don't want to lose the company, we use you to attrach business partners and I'm sorry. I'm really am"

Mrs. Bae decided it's best to stop to see Irene's reaction. She told Wendy back then and finally Wendy understood why her parent acted that way. But she's not sure how her oldest daughter will react with this sudden confession.

Why she never told Joohyun before? Because their relationship already ruin and to fix it...it's kind a hard knowing Joohyun's behavior. But yesterday, Wendy told her about Joohyun.

The thought about Joohyun still believe she's controlling her life is unacceptable. Not that she's offended no. She never was. But she can't live knowing Joohyun still believe she can't have the life she wanted. 

That she live to fulfill her parent purpose until the end of her life. No. She can live her life now. Enjoy her life like other people do. And also, Joohyun need to know the truth why they control her life so much back then. 

Since Irene has nothing to say, Mrs. Bae decide to continue. 

"We don't want you to suffer. We want you to continue what we had built and have you enjoy it. It was our way to say how thankful we are to have you in our family. For being our miracle. But me and on behalf of your late father, I would like to apologize for our mistreatment. With Wendy we really gave her the freedom until the story Wendy had told you. We were lost that time and thought what's best to prevent it to happen again in the future. Shortly, me and your father never mean to control your life. We love you both equally and we're sorry for making you both feel like we're control your life" 

Even after Mrs. Bae finished what she need to say and by the time they need to go, Irene unable to say single word regarding the truth her mother told her. 

The truth...more like a bomb. Just like Seulgi did to her today. Why is everyone love dropping bombs to her today? Seems like everybody hate her. Or maybe this is her karma.

For unable to be good to everyone. For being selfish. Only thinking of herself. Not letting anyone to get into her life. The life she thought was miserable and dark. 

Only to get notice just now that her life...was a miracle for her parent. Her life was control because of love...Love. Love can be so good but bad at the same time.

It does sound beautiful but why does everyone have  to include love for reasons of their actions? Irene doesn't know the answer and during this time Jisoo would always help her find the answer she need.

Jisoo...

How she missed being with Jisoo. Just sitting by her side, being all clingy with her all day. Hear her laughing and sometimes arguing with each other about random topics.

What Irene missed more about Jisoo is that how Jisoo able to make her calm, happy, and help her find answer she needed. But now...the person is gone...because of her.

During this very confusing time, where would Irene go? Definetly to the place she can find answer. 

That night, Irene get herself ready with everything she need. She will spend probably three days in that place. Hope she can find the answer she's looking for.

After all, it's been so long since the last time she went there. Perhaps it's time for her to pay a visit and probably ask for remission to them. Hopefully, they will welcome her sudden arrival.