Party

Home

Last night was something Seulgi can’t believe it would happened twice. She thought it was only one in a lifetime. But clearly, last night was different. The way Miss Bae talked to her, greet her goodnight, she can sense the sincerity behind it. Which is something she rarely get from Miss Bae Irene.

Did Miss Bae hit her head somewhere? Or the devil finally repent her sins? Whatever it is, Miss Bae really surprise her to the point where she couldn’t sleep at night.

For sake she only slept for two hours and all of a sudden the sun already up. Today is Saturday and she have schedule today. Unwritten schedule. She hope Miss Bae will pay extra for today’s schedule. 

Now where she should begin?

“Ya, Kim Yerim! Did you ate my last cupcake?”

“Uhmm it was too good”

“YA! THAT WAS FOR ME!”

“Then you should have eat it before I do!”

“YA! COME HERE!”

Joy is furious because she planned to eat her last cupcake for today's breakfast. Yet, Yeri had already eat it. From the kitchen, Joy walk firmly towards Yeri who are sitting in the living room, watching tv.

Everyone who witness this can see how mad Joy is just from the way her eyes glaring at Yeri. Yeri who saw Joy walking to her with firm steps, instantly get up from the sofa with wide eyes.

“Oh?! What are you gonna do? Hit me and I report it as an assault! SEULGI UNNIE!”

Yeri yell Seulgi's name and try her best to run away from Joy despite they technically running inside a small apartment. Not a larga apartment like penthouse.

The youngest open the door to Seulgi’s room only to be greeted by half Seulgi and a loud scream. Yeri fell to the ground and Joy fell right above Yeri. Which eventually made the youngest groaned due to the weight. 

Seulgi was only wearing her top and she haven't wear her dress yet.

“WHAT ARE YOU TWO DOING IN MY ROOM? YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOCK!”

“Well what are you doing too? It’s Saturday!” Said Joy.

“I need to accompany Miss Bae for her schedule today”

“Ehmmm unnie ca-“

“What schedule? How come I’m not invited?” Said Joy pouting completely forget that Yeri is below her.

“Because it’s her uncle birthday party?” Asked Seulgi alittle unsure.

Joy take a moment to think. Well, she know how Miss Bae is so secretive when it’s about her family. She wouldn’t invite outside people or people she barely knew. It only make sense if Miss Bae invited Jennie because well they are best friend. But Seulgi? Miss Bae barely make five minutes conversation with her.

“Please...get...off...of me” Yeri begged.

“Ya! You’re going to kill her!” Said Seulgi.

“Oh my god! There you are Yeri! I was looking for you who ATE MY LAST CUPCAKE!”

Seulgi roll her eyes at how childish these two girls are. Apprently Joy is Joy outside the company barrier. She should get use on seeing two different side of Joy.

“I was so hungry! Are you going to let your precious maknae die of hunger?”

“Better that way than I kill you with my hands! Anyway. So you’re going to get ready for the party?”

“Well, yeah. Obviously”

Joy hummed. Of course this whole situation is quiet suspicious. But Joy shrugfed it off since maybe Miss Bae already consider Seulgi as one of her trusted people. Though it’s quiet unusual for Miss Bae to trust someone so quickly.

“Want some help?” Asked Joy.

 

"Yes, uncle. Of course I will come. Your birthday party never been a birthday party. *chuckles. Alright. I make sure to look presentable as always. Alright. Bye"

Birthday party. Well, Uncle Wang birthday party....you could say it's not a birthday party at all. How can you say it's a birthday party when obviously Uncle Wang literally invited all of his business partners and potential business partners to his birthday party?

Of course it's not a birthday party. It's business party. Where Irene would be able to find potential investors and business partner. That has been her job or more like her first source on finding the replacement for all the business partners she had cut all their contract with her company years ago.

In the previous chapters, it already been said that Uncle Wang was the person who help her to get as much as business partners for her company. Since she basically kicked almost half of them.

Irene still remember exactly how Uncle Wang asked her to come to his birthday party. Though before she never been close with Uncle Wang since he is her father's younger brother, she always try her best to avoid anyone who have related blood with her father and her mother. 

She maintain the distance until one day Uncle Wang came to her office and offer her some help. Of course not directly. At first, Irene refused but Uncle Wang is a very smart businessman. He persuade her really well.

"Be realistic, Joohyun. You're going to go bankrupt if you don't find business partner and new investors. How can your company operate when obviously you kicked those business partners? Where would you find the money to pay all the shareholders?" 

The young CEO definetly at the peak of giving up. Well who knew the famous Bae Irene almost decide to give up with the company that being inherited to her since she was born?

With all those dirty business partner she had kick and cut their contract, she only have few business partners left and she know it's not enough to help her company to operate. Not enough fund to support her company operational.

So obviously, Uncle Wang got a point. And so? What is he offering to her? No. She doesn't like to be indebt to her relatives. She already have a lot to deal with when it's about family thing.

Seeing how frustrated Joohyun is, the older man smile warmly. The fatherly smile Joohyun never gets from her own father even after his last breathe. How pathetic.

"How about this. Come to my birthday party this weekend. Make sure you look presentable and fully aware of your surroundings. Also prepare yourself. Maybe you would find something there" said Uncle Wang.

That time, Irene doesn't know what he meant. But everything only make sense when she came to his birthday party and she realize none of her relatives came to his birthday party.

He literally invited all CEO from different kind of firms. Some of them Irene knew as the most famous businessman and business woman in the industry. Some of them came all the way from United State to celebrate Uncle Wang's birthday.

Or...it sounds like birthday party but truthfully it's really not a birthday party. 

It was the first time Irene been to Uncle Wang's 'birthday party' and that's the first place ever for Irene to meet potential business partner and investors. Eventually she got alot of business that one to invest in her company.

Surprisingly, many business partner she got from Uncle Wang's birthday party still invest in her company and even contribute alot. Not to the point where they almost buy her company.

She would never do that. Not when this company is being inherited to her and all her energy being drained to protect the company. Overall, all the investors and business partners she got in her uncle's birthday party, they are so nice to her.

And sometimes even business deals would happen in that birthday party. Irene would sometimes close some deals in that party without Uncle Wang's contribution.

She did it all by herself.

But she hasn't been to his birthday party since two years ago. Her company have lot of things to handle and she can't make it for his birthday party. After all, her company has been very good these pass few years.

Since it's been two years the last time she came, she decided to come. Not because she want to find potential business partners(well that is one of her purpose) but her other or main purpose is actually to give her uncle a proper brithday party.

What she mean by proper birthday party is that she attend the party, not doing any business deals or anything, will just enjoy herself. Drink champange, wine, talk with people, and actually say happy birthday to her uncle. Give him a gift.

Well, if it's not because of her uncle, she wouldn't be in her position right now. Though he always said that she's not indebt to him, still. Joohyun feel the need to say thank you.

After all, Uncle Wang is the only relative that close to her and know almost everything about her. How she felt being born in a wealthy family and know that one day you will lead a big company and have responsibility to protect the honor of her family.

Irene have alot of things on her shoulders and Uncle Wang is the only relative that help her get through it.

The birthday party is in one hour and she need to drive to the venue that took about half minute from her house. Today she won't be driving since Kim Bum already back.

Oh. Right. She almost forgot about her new secretary. No. She was intentionally trying to forget Seulgi when obviously that girl is the only person in her mind since last night.

She keep thinking if it's okay to bring Seulgi since well they are not that close and they barely knew each other. Irene never let any strangers get to close to her.

Even going to Uncle Wang's birthday party, she would invite Jennie to accompany her. But then why she invited Seulgi? She doens't know either. It just slips.

But maybe she also want her to be there. Why? Oh my god. So many why that need to be answers yet Irene couldn't find the best answers to answer it all.

Maybe it's because she want someone to accompany her in the party. After all she had promise not to ask Jennie anything related to business stuff since that girl basically the CEO of Kim's corporation now and not her secretary anymore.

Why not Miss Park? Yeah. They are close though. 

Yeah! Why not her?

While Irene have her mind busy with questions about her reason why she asked Seulgi instead of Miss Park, suddenly a bell to her house ring. She can hear it though she still in her bedroom.

She have her maid to open the door for whoever that guest is. Oh wait. Not just ordinary guest. It's her new secretary. Kang Seulgi!

For the last touch, she put on the necklace around her neck and check herself infront of the mirror before stepping out from her bed room. Going down to the first floor, she could see a girl dressing in a very feminim outfit.

Very different from her usual outfits at workplace. The girl seems to be very occupied with the painting inside her house that she didn't realize her boss is here.

Irene took this opportunity to stare at the girl's back. Not intentionally but she just get herself staring at this girl without her realizing. She's being pull by this girl beauty.

Wearing a white blouse and creamy skirt that obviously above her knees then the chocolate cardigan she let it cover her back without wearing it properly, then her small red handbag and heels. 

Irene barely seen her in heels and now the girl look much taller than her. Or she actually shorter than Seulgi in terms of height. So these are the outfit she bought during their shopping at Miu Miu store.

She chose nice outfits. 

"Seulgi-sshi" Irene call which make Seulgi jump a little.

"M-Miss Bae! I-I'm sorry. I didn't notice you were there. Have you been standing there all this time?" Irene just nodded slightly.

To be honest, Seulgi have to be surprise though. It's her first time going inside Miss Bae huge house and of course she feel so small inside the house. Obviously she doesn't belong here.

Yet this house seems to be so attractive because it pulls her inside only to look at those painting that are hang up on the wall. She recognize some of the painting and as someone who came from art, obviously she would take her time to mesmerize those masterpiece.

First, she didn't know Miss Bae love art and second she cannot belive that Miss Bae actually live inside this huge house all alone! So where the hell Wendy and Mrs. Bae live?

Oh well. They came from rich family so buying new house won't be a problem for them. 

As she look through all the painting, she see the most famous painting call The Starry Night. She is very sure it's a duplicate since the painting actually hung up as a collection at The Museum Of Modern Art in New York City since 1941.

She always amaze with it because of the story behind it. When she was trying to recall back the story suddenly she heard her name being call. She turn around only to get surprise by Miss Bae.

Who apprently look very stunning, elegant, pretty, and amazing with that outfit. She's wearing a black dress that really show her body shape perfectly and the dress leave her back wide open. Seulgi could see Miss Bae perfect pale white skin with her bare eyes.

For a moment she thought she was dreaming because well, even the Starry Night painting is not that amazing anymore compare to Miss Bae. Miss Bae is the perfect art and she believe she can stare at this beautiful art forever.

"The Starry Night. You like it?" asked Miss Bae.

Not anymore actually, thought Seulgi.

"Uhmm, yeah. You like art too, Miss Bae?" 

She hummed.

"It's a duplicate. The real one is hung up at-"

"The Museum of Modern Art in New York since 1941. Yeah...I know" said Seulgi cutting Miss Bae. She feel the need to say it when obviously she know no one dare to cut Miss Bae when she's talking.

But apparently Miss Bae didn't complain. Then the silent fill the air. Not awkward at all. But Irene feel the need to break it since it's really time for them to go.

"Let's go"

 

Seulgi never been to a birthday party before. Or that what Miss Bae prefer to say. But clearly with the way Miss Bae describe it on their way to the venue, birthday party sounds like a cover up. And it only prove her right when they arrive at the venue.

Alot of fancy cars arrive there and Seulgi didn’t recognize much of them because like Miss Bae told her before. The guests are Mr Wang business partner and investors. 

When it’s Miss Bae car’s turn, Miss Bae imidietly greeted by alot of people that recognize her. Who won’t recognize Miss Bae Irene anyways? Seulgi get out from the car and follow Miss Bae right behind her. 

“Miss Bae! You came!” Said a young woman with long red hair. She’s wearing a beautiful black dress which end right before her knees.

“Rose-sshi. Been a long time since the last time I met you and here we are”said Miss Bae shaking her hand.

“True. I see Bae’s Enterprise going so well for the past few years”

“Yes. Thanks to my hardworking employees” Rose chuckles.

“Like always. The charming Miss Bae who always praise her employees before her” said Rose and Miss Bae just smile. 

“Oh! Right. Miss Bae. I would like to introduce you to my girlfriend. Please”

Miss Bae gladly follow Rose and so was Seulgi. 

It always fascinating to see Miss Bae interacting with other people. Like how she talk with other people, she look so elegant. Her cold aura suddenly disappeared the moment she’s in her business mode.

As she follow Miss Bae suddenly someone grab her arm. Making her startled with the sudden physical contact. 

“Seulgi!” 

“Wendy? What are you doing here?”

The young woman with her blonde hair smile happily upon seeing Seulgi. She was completely lost inside this party. Irene was right. This birthday party isn’t the kind of birthday party she thought. 

“Well obviously I’m here to celebrate Uncle Wang’s birthday! Why?”

“Uhmm...”

“This is Hyerin. My girlfriend”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Miss Bae”

“Oh! Irene!”

That voice always been a nightmare for Irene. She completely said this is not just a birthdah party! Wendy will ruin this party! Irene curse inside and try her best to maintain her expression.

While Wendy like always being the naive and cheerful girl, she link her arm with her sister and smile widely.

Rose and Hyerin who were talking with Miss Bae look confuse. Seulgi stood behind them, watching all the interaction. She hope Miss Bae would not explode once she get out from this party.

“Miss Bae who is-“

“I’m Wendy! Irene’s sister!” Said Wendy offering her hand for handshake which both Rose and Lisa gladly accept it.

“I’m Rose and this is my girlfriend Hyerin”

“Owh well what a lovely day I got to meet two beautiful young woman in uncle’s birthday party”

, she’s not gonna stop soon. Will she stop embarassing me infront of my business partner?! Thought Irene.

“Thank you for the compliment! Anyway Miss Bae I hope you enjoy the party” said Rose.

“Wasn’t I suppose to be the one who said that?” Said Irene joking and then they both laugh before they left.

Oh man. Don’t make a scene. Do something! Thought Seulgi the moment she realize all the act is done.

“You. Come with me!” Said Irene with a low but firm tone to Wendy.

Oh no.

 

“What were you thinking? Didn’t I told you this is not a birthday party you think?!”

“I know okay? I realize that once I arrive here! Why are you being so sensitive with the fact I’m here?”

“Because you are you! That’s why!”

“I don’t get it. What is wrong with you? Years has pass and when will you forgive me and mother?”

“Forgive? Is that what you want? Do you really think betrayer will get forgiveness? After lying right infront of my face”

“Do I have a choice? They asked me, Irene!”

Seulgi never thought it will get this worse. She didn’t dare to interrupt them since this is a family matter. But she maintain to stay close with them. Incase things get even more bad.

They are outside the venue. More like at the garden. So basically they are safe from other people that would hear their conversation.

“You have a choice! Either fight with me or not. But you choice not to! Of course I feel betrayed!”

“That was my one ticket to get out from this family. Of course I wouldn't want to waste it” Irene scoff feeling so damn offended. 

This is why she never like to talk with Wendy. Because this is what they are going to talk about. 

“Do you know why I hate you all these year? That is because your ing ego! You think only about yourself! The promises you made it all useless and you give me high hope. you!”

“People change, Irene. Bear with it. You're the only person who cannot accept that fact. I have to save myself that day”

“Oh you don’t get to act like the victim here!”

“You thought you’re the only victim in our family? Do you really thought I was only saving myself that day?”

“Well it looked like it. They gave you a choice. Go with me or not. Yet you choice not to. So who is the real victim? ME!”

“Do you really think they let me have the life I wanted? I NEVER WANTED TO BE A DOCTOR!”

“DON’T YOU DARE TO SAID THAT! You obviously enjoy your life! You! BECAUSE OF YOU! I have to endure all the hardship myself!”

“It’s your fault! It was all your fault! Why you obey to them? When obviously all you need to say is NO!”

"What? You know I can't do that. For you it's easy but for me-"

"Well then you for being a coward! It's not your place to get mad at me when I'm here trying to fix things between us!"

That’s it. Irene is very furious. She’s angry with this conversation she have with Wendy. Now she’s saying what happen in her life is all her fault?! you Wendy!

And then what she said? Fix things? There is nothing to be fix because she enjoy their relationship as it is. No closure at all. Because her! her for betraying her and live the life the way she wanted.

While Irene...she never get to do that and feel that kind of life. Why? Because her parent, their parent had planned her life since she was born. And that....that is the reason why never enjoy her life. Even until now, she still cannot leave her life.

“You-“ 

She saw it coming. Glad that Seulgi manage to prevent it. She’s coming right between the two. Facing Miss Bae who have her eyes glaring at Wendy and hand is ready in the air. To slap Wendy of course. 

Whatever they were talking about, whatever the hardship, she know Miss Bae doesn’t deserve to be treated like this. She never saw Miss Bae so angry like this. Sometimes Miss Bae would get angry during meeting but her tone was alot more soft yet cold. But this time, Miss Bae clearly losing her hold.

“Miss Bae. Please breathe?” Asked Seulgi.

Irene was breathing hardly. Her chest goes up and down so fast. Anger fill her heart and all she want to do is to slap Wendy. But there she is. Standing between them. Facing her with eyes looking so concern. 

She was about to yell at Seulgi but then all she see is her. Jisoo. Her eyes, her lips, her face. There she standing infront of her. Been years and she still so beautiful just like how she remember. White pale skin and her beautiful heart shape lips. Something she always adore.

“Breathe, Joohyun. Breathe”

“J-Jisoo” she smile upon hearing her name being said.

“Never throw your anger to your family. Didn’t I tell you that?”

A sentence Jisoo would always said to her and remind her she still need to respect her family. Despite all the grudge and hatred she have towards her family, Jisoo would always remind her to still respect them.

But all Irene could think of is how much she miss her. The pain she have all these years. Though she’s happy to see her she couldn’t hide the sadness she’s feeling right now. Pain that she been keeping all these years.

“H-how are you, Jisoo?” Again the letter smile.

“I’m good as always” 

“Really?” Instead of answering Jisoo say something else.

“How about you? Are you okay?”

The most obvious answer to that question is no. Of course she’s not ever since she’s gone. It was her fault. Everything that happened to Jisoo is her fault and there is no way she could forgive herself. Knowing the reason of Jisoo's death is because of her.

"No. N-no, I'm not okay"