Act I: Dr. Byun, as seen by Park & Co.

Where to now?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track 7. COMPANY by Justin Bieber | ♩

 

November 22, Monday morning.

 

Bomi and Rin felt uneasy with the quiet atmosphere in their kitchen. Monday mornings with their parents were usually filled with noise and constant talking, sometimes bickering. But today, they went about their morning and treated each other like a ghost. 

The twins, sitting still on the dining table, looked at each other then back at their mom and dad.

 

“Mum, dad?” The Other Baekhyun and Rara whipped their heads towards Bomi. “Is everything okay?”

“Did you guys fight?” Rin added. 

 

It was their parents’ turn to look at each other. The Other Baekhyun just shrugged, making Rara sigh deeply. As much as she wanted to deny it, he was right about what he said last night. She acted a certain way with Baekhyun. Even the slightest change would be noticeable. And who else would be the first to notice, other than their own blood and kin? 

“I heard you guys arguing last night.” Bomi said hesitantly. “I didn’t eavesdrop but I heard voices, I didn’t meant to, but—”

“Oh, we were just talking about some changes that’s gonna happen around the house.” Rara said, immediately coming up with an excuse. She didn’t like all this lying to the twins, but it was the only way.

“Changes? What changes?” Rin inquired. 

“We’re gonna have to move out tonight, because your dad and I decided to renovate the house.” 

“That’s right.” The Other Baekhyun said. For a second, Rara felt the tiniest bit of relief that he was riding the wagon, until he spoke again. “For the baby.” 

“What?!” Bom asked excitedly. “Mum, you’re pregnant?!”

“Oh, so the renovation is for the baby?” Rin asked with a pleasant smile. 

Rara slowly turned to The Other Baekhyun, who was fixing the cuffs of his sleeves calmly, like he didn’t just throw out a blatant lie out in the open. “What baby are you talking about?” She asked exasperatedly.

“Sorry to blow your bubbles, twins, but I’m talking about your mum.” Rara kept on looking at him, expecting an explanation. “Duh? You’re the baby I’m talking about. My baby.” Rara shut her eyes frustratedly at his remark. “We’re renovating the kitchen for the baby, that is you, yes?” 

Shut the up. “Goddamn...you really have a way with words, huh?” Rara said with a tired, forced grin. 

“I learn from the best.” He winked playfully. 

“Dad.” Bomi groaned. “Too early in the morning.”

“Yeah, too early in the morning.” Rin agreed. “Speaking of—Mum? You’re all dressed up today. You’re on morning shift now?”

“No. I’m actually coming with your dad to work.” Rara and the Other Baekhyun looked at each other expectantly. “I’m meeting your Uncle Chanyeol.” 

 

After dropping the twins at the school, the Byuns headed to Park & Co. The Other Baekhyun pulled up in the parking lot and while they walked towards the entrance, he noticed that Rara was anxious. He put his hand on the small of her back, making her jump a little. 

“What?” Rara snapped, halting.

“You’re stiffer than a corpse.” The Other Baekhyun looked at her as if something was on her face. “What’s making you so jittery so early in the morning?”

“What’s making me jittery?” She asked breathlessly. “You’re supposed to be Baekhyun, and you look like him but at the same time, you look totally different from him!” The Other Baekhyun chuckled at her words. 

“Can we just please go to the salon and dye your hair black?” 

“No.” He said with an amused smile.

“How about putting on some brown contacts?” Baekhyun would never make me beg for such simple things! 

“No, Rara.” He replied, still smiling.

“Fine. We’ll just go with what I told the twins, so I’ll be held accountable.” She said frustratedly. 

“Okay. Any other concerns?”

“None.”

“Then let’s get a move on.”

 

“Whoa, dude, what’s with the hair and the eyes?!” Chanyeol said with surprise. He turned to Rara and looked at her with wild eyes. “Who is this guy and what did he do to Baekhyun?” He exclaimed in a joking manner.

“That’s Baekhyun. Still.” Rara said with a small, unsure grin. “It’s a dare. You think dad won’t kick him out with such an appearance, won’t he?”

“No, I don’t think so.” Chanyeo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter