The Second Parallax Error

Where to now?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track 49. LOWKEY by NIKI | ♩

 

The unceremonious announcement of Shinae being D.O’s mate threw Rara off her game. When she thought she was going ahead, she was actually going backward. In fact, she found it absolutely ironic that Chanyeol was the first one informed about D.O’s newfound connection. The rest of the pack was informed on the morning of the same day the twins dropped by at the cabin after checking the renovation at their house, which explains why Shinae was there to be formally introduced as D.O’s mate. D.O mentioned that that time when Shinae was supposed to go to Ye Olde that evening when a blizzard struck the city, it was him who informed Chanyeol that Shinae was in the vicinity, and asked him a favor to look after her in that snowstorm. That time at the Christmas ball, Kai had unwittingly asked D.O about the recent change he made on the thesis he’s been working with Shinae, which is something he was yet to inform his thesis partner. Aggravated because she was not told about the altercations beforehand, Shinae stormed off and asked Chanyeol for a dance, knowing it would slightly anger D.O. Not only did Kai unlock one trivia that night—Kyung Mi being an absolute beast in drinking games—but two, Shinae transforming into an absolute petty prick when an unfortunate event involving her field of expertise happens. 

“D.O, I—” Rara looked at Shinae with a funny smile. When her best friend rolled her eyes at her with a grin, Rara laughed. “Dude, can I just commend you for sitting at the bar patiently while my of a best friend danced with my brother at the ball?” D.O nodded with an amused smile. “I did just about the same thing with Baekhyun’s secretary and well, I had it rough with Baekhyun’s Miroir. Way rough.” 

“Do you mean in general, or do you mean the —” Rara slapped Shinae’s head with a little force, sending both her best friend and her partner in a string of laughter. 

They looked at each other and Rara slapped her one more time lightly on the temple. “And that’s for using Chanyeol to get back at D.O.” Shinae mouthed a simple ‘sorry’ and smiled apologetically. 

“Well, the annual Christmas ball is not a Christmas ball not until one of us gets into a fight anyway.” D.O joked, making Rara laugh, remembering she had her fair share of an eventful Christmas ball years ago, which history repeated this year.

“When did you imprint on her anyway?” Rara asked curiously. Before D.O could answer, Rara immediately turned to Shinae and said, “Shinae. I can’t believe you didn’t tell me. What the hell.” 

Shinae laughed at her reaction; Rara seemed at a really huge loss with this newfound information. “Now, we’re even.” But Shinae quickly took it back. “Actually, we’re not. I hid this from you but you lied about Baekhyun.” 

“Okay, whatever, don’t talk to me, I’m butthurt, so instead, I’m gonna talk to D.O.” D.O shook his head at their silly argument, but he was partly to blame; he also didn’t tell Rara or anyone about the whole ordeal yet. “I imprinted on her a week before you ran into her and Chanyeol at the convenience store.” He said. “I know Baekhyun did it first, but I also gave Shinae a necklace—not with healing abilities like yours, because I don’t really have time to coordinate with Hyerin or any witch—but to at least give her some time to protect herself before anything sinister befalls upon her. It—” When he turned to Shinae, his eyes widened with surprise when he looked at the oval gem on Shinae’s pendant. “—it’s red.” He muttered.

 

Rara’s attention shifted to Shinae’s pendant; she remembered brushing the snow off of it at the convenience store. That rhinestone had more of a magenta hue, but now, it’s scarlet red. “What does red mean?”

“I instructed Shinae to check it from time to time because if it turns red, it means there is an evil entity around, who most likely has ill intentions towards her,” D.O explained. “And it projects negative energy to inflict small, gradual damages towards that being, so Shinae doesn’t have to do much to defend herself when it comes down to a fight.”

The three of them looked at the Other Baekhyun who was still unconscious. All of them had similar conclusions as to what triggered the color transition of the pendant’s gem.

“Well, Miroirs are kind of evil, since they’re alter egos, so I guess that explains—”

 

Explains why the Other Baekhyun instantly turned decrepit when Shinae appeared, it was because of Shinae’s pendant. 

And it also explains another thing.

 

“Oh my God.” Rara whispered, completely gobsmacked by her precipitous epiphany. 

“What?” Shinae pried.

“It’s the other way around.” 

“What is?”

“If you’re D.O’s mate, that doesn’t make you Chanyeol’s partner.”

“Yes, that’s pretty...obvious,” Shinae said, chuckling lightly. “What are you getting at?”

“His partner is Hyerin.” Rara deadpanned.

“Wait, what?” Shinae said in a ridiculous tone. “That doesn’t make se—”

 

“Rara.”

 

Hearing the Other Baekhyun croak her name weakly had Rara racing back towards his side. “What is it? Are you okay?”

“No, obviously.” He groaned. “Could you ask Shinae to remove her pendant in the meantime? Put it above a cabinet or something.”

“You knew about the pendant?”

“I was listening to your conversation. I was awake the whole time. I still got a bit of brainpower, but zero manpower.” He said. “After hearing you say that Hyerin might be Chanyeol’s partner, I can also attest to that.” He propped one elbow up, attempting to lift his upper body. “But can your best friend be kind enough to have that pendant away from me, please?”

“You’re not going to do anything bad to her, are you?” Rara asked, knowing that D.O specifically said that the pendant detected evil beings with hostile ambitions towards the person wearing the pendant.

“I don’t wanna end up in the hospital again, babe.” He said flatly, looking at her irritably. “Baekhyun, wherever he is, is still suffering, so if you don’t get this part of the drama done, then he’ll perish, and so will I.” Rara stared at him heatedly, because he was talking in that big, brassy tone, but he was right. 

“Okay.” With that approval, D.O took Shinae’s pendant to the laboratory and put it on the furthest side, basically the opposite end of the m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter